The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I kind of agree with you tbh, a lot of it is to do with marketing etc. and we then become insistent that every other camera should have a certain feature before we even consider it.
I do find Eye-AF useful when it comes to my fast moving kids but equally I am considering Fuji for many other reasons too.....
I have touted the advanced Sony A9 features a lot but when it comes to real-world use... I never needed 20fps, silent shooting, black-out free EVF or Eye-AF etc... they are just nice to have. :)
The Fuji X-H1 at £889 seems such a good value proposition at the moment that I am seriously considering it, however also interested to see what the Fuji X100V and XT-4 bring to the table.
I assume Capture One is still the best way to edit Fuji RAW files?

That's a good price for the xh1 bundle considering 3 batteries are included. I sound like a broken record but It's a shame fuji didn choose to put the xt3 tech into the xh1 from the start. It would have made it such a powerhouse of a camera. Its still got the best ergonomics of any Mirrorless camera though imo.

Just been messing with the Eye-Af after doing the firmware this morning & it is definately better,not that i use it much.:)

That's a good price for the xh1 bundle considering 3 batteries are included. I sound like a broken record but It's a shame fuji didn choose to put the xt3 tech into the xh1 from the start. It would have made it such a powerhouse of a camera. Its still got the best ergonomics of any Mirrorless camera though imo.
I agree, I might be better off going for the XH-1 now and then upgrading when the XH-2 comes out in the future.
Like you say, ergonomically it is great and I really do like the top LCD.

Do we know for sure that the name is going to be XT4? If it's a new line of cameras then it might be the end for the XH-1
I think it would be wrong move for Fuji to drop the XH body line, I doubt they will to be honest and we will see a XH-2 in the future, perhaps towards the second half of 2020.
All Fuji really need to do with the XH-2 is drop in all the XT-4 internals, keep the ergonomics and top LCD screen etc, and give it the newer XT-4 battery. Job done.
I am learning towards a XH-1 now and then upgrade to a XH-2 when it eventually comes out, but still keen to see what Fuji does with the XT-4 as the XT-3 isn't exactly dated in any area. :)

I think it would be wrong move for Fuji to drop the XH body line, I doubt they will to be honest and we will see a XH-2 in the future, perhaps towards the second half of 2020.
All Fuji really need to do with the XH-2 is drop in all the XT-4 internals, keep the ergonomics and top LCD screen etc, and give it the newer XT-4 battery. Job done.
I am learning towards a XH-1 now and then upgrade to a XH-2 when it eventually comes out, but still keen to see what Fuji does with the XT-4 as the XT-3 isn't exactly dated in any area. :)

It's only worth them putting the 'xt4' internals in the xh2 if the xh2 is released shortly afterwards. Otherwise there is the risk of once again it being outdated when the xt5 is released at Christmas.

Silent shutter is great when I'm shooting birds in the garden, sometimes they are only a couple of feet away, behind me in the trees, so the silent shutter is really useful.

Sometimes my T3 detects a face when I'm focussing on the eye of a bird in the garden, not sure if that's useful or not....
What is the sensor scan time on the T3? Does it suffer rolling shutter when using silent shooting?

It's only worth them putting the 'xt4' internals in the xh2 if the xh2 is released shortly afterwards. Otherwise there is the risk of once again it being outdated when the xt5 is released at Christmas.
Fair point mmmmm it's a bit of a situation if Fuji indeed dub their XH line as their flagship. Maybe the new camera is not the XT-4 but the new XH-2, after all, the XT-3 hasn't been out long?

Fair point mmmmm it's a bit of a situation if Fuji indeed dub their XH line as their flagship. Maybe the new camera is not the XT-4 but the new XH-2, after all, the XT-3 hasn't been out long?

Would be great if it was the case. This fuji rumours tend to get it right more often than not about the camera releases though.

But if the rumours are correct and the XT4 is going to be bigger with bigger battery then isn't this almost if not the same size as the XH-1?

It would be interesting if Fuji's XT4 has a built-in vertical grip similar to their GFX100 and if that's the case then the T4 won't be the name

Last edited:
But if the rumours are correct and the XT4 is going to be bigger with bigger battery then isn't this almost if not the same size as the XH-1?

It would be interesting if Fuji's XT4 has a built-in vertical grip similar to their GFX100 and if that's the case then the T4 won't be the name

This ^^

I would hazard a guess that we won't see a number 4 variant of any Fujifilm camera, they are a very Japanese company and 4 is an unlucky number in Japan, the X-A4 for instance was skipped, as was S4 Pro.

after all, the XT-3 hasn't been out long?

If shipping is March it would be 18 months (shipping to shipping), 2 years before that to X-T2 -> T3

But they are not the only ones Sony A7 announced 16/9/13, A7II announced 20/11/14 - 14 months!! , A7S -> A7SII 17 months, and A7RIII -> A7RIV 21 months.

I think we just to have to accept the product lifetimes for emerging technology will be short as new features are developed

This ^^

I would hazard a guess that we won't see a number 4 variant of any Fujifilm camera, they are a very Japanese company and 4 is an unlucky number in Japan, the X-A4 for instance was skipped, as was S4 Pro.
So perhaps it will be called the XH-2? or will they go straight to the XT-5 lol
It seems a right mess.

If shipping is March it would be 18 months (shipping to shipping), 2 years before that to X-T2 -> T3

But they are not the only ones Sony A7 announced 16/9/13, A7II announced 20/11/14 - 14 months!! , A7S -> A7SII 17 months, and A7RIII -> A7RIV 21 months.

I think we just to have to accept the product lifetimes for emerging technology will be short as new features are developed
True... I will will hold out until the X100V and XT-4 have been announced and then decide. :D

This ^^

I understand their reluctance to use 4 but Honda have done it on a number of motorcycles so I think they are quite pragmatic.

True... I will will hold out until the X100V and XT-4 have been announced and then decide. :D

Given the number of images you actually have taken with that Sony kit of yours, I'd just buy the WCL and TCL for your X100F and then not look at anything for at least a year. Use the money to have a great holiday!

Although I love my X-H1 and some of the Fuji glass, I rapidly coming round to the view that my best shots (IMO!!) are taken with my X100 series cameras, they are much better composed, I get more keepers, and I don't go into some sort of techie geeky overload. I have an interest in the X100V because of this, but can't see it being a massive upgrade on the F, and if the D pad has gone, then I will be staying with the F.

Given the number of images you actually have taken with that Sony kit of yours, I'd just buy the WCL and TCL for your X100F and then not look at anything for at least a year. Use the money to have a great holiday!

Although I love my X-H1 and some of the Fuji glass, I rapidly coming round to the view that my best shots (IMO!!) are taken with my X100 series cameras, they are much better composed, I get more keepers, and I don't go into some sort of techie geeky overload. I have an interest in the X100V because of this, but can't see it being a massive upgrade on the F, and if the D pad has gone, then I will be staying with the F.
Yeah you have a very valid point...... time to off-load the Sony gear and be sensible :)

Stick to over priced phones if that is all you are really worried about. Some of the current over priced phones do eye AF and all that useless crap pretty good now surely?

Honestly, reading the Sony thread sometimes - on all this eye-AF and animal eye AF is cringey. I'm thinking are this lot photographers or tourists?? When did this actually become a necessity? I know your post was semi jest, but it's true, many actually depend on these features now, I wonder if they also use beautify filters for their selfies.

Eye AF is not a gimmick or useless, perhaps if you do landscape photography or your subject doesnt move there are still ways to get the shot but you will not be able to move an AF point as fast as a camera with good eye AF can track a moving eye.

Last edited:
Eye AF is not a gimmick or useless, perhaps if you do landscape photography or your subject doesnt move there are still ways to get the shot but you will not be able to move an AF point as fast as camera with good eye AF can track a moving eye.
Correct, I am hoping the new Fuji X100V has good Eye-AF / Face Detect similar to the Sony's :D

@Riz_Guru

Re:X100V - I do think that we are likley to a see a limited edition 10th Anniversary model probably in a premium finish and maybe in wooden box (low numbers) and normal LE packaging (higher volume) - now didn't you used to have an X100 wooden box set, now if you'd kept that you could have had a matching pair of wooden boxes.........

Correct, I am hoping the new Fuji X100V has good Eye-AF / Face Detect similar to the Sony's :D

Youll buy the new cameras and use them just as much as your A9. Except youll take a massive hit on what you spent on your A9 (An X100V will likely be as much as your used A9 by then), move to newly released expensive APSC cameras, not use them, and take another massive hit.

So perhaps it will be called the XH-2? or will they go straight to the XT-5 lol
It seems a right mess.

they could release it as a new line of camera, keep the x-t, x-h x-etc etc etc. thats what we need. another line of body to keep up with.

@Riz_Guru

Re:X100V - I do think that we are likley to a see a limited edition 10th Anniversary model probably in a premium finish and maybe in wooden box (low numbers) and normal LE packaging (higher volume) - now didn't you used to have an X100 wooden box set, now if you'd kept that you could have had a matching pair of wooden boxes.........

I did..... it was the only one imported by Fujifilm UK from EU for me as a thank you gift. :D
Should have kept it, however the AF was pretty terrible by today's standards.

The 10th Anniversary will be next year? ;)

Attachments

• x100_wooden.jpg
    x100_wooden.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 20
Youll buy the new cameras and use them just as much as your A9. Except youll take a massive hit on what you spent on your A9 (An X100V will likely be as much as your used A9 by then), move to newly released expensive APSC cameras, not use them, and take another massive hit.
I know, might just sell up and call it a day.

The problem with the XH line is that the 1 was universally disliked by so many prominent Fuji users. Even the ambassadors were generally underwhelmed, however I still think it's the best camera they've ever made. I need that shutter back in my life.

The problem with the XH line is that the 1 was universally disliked by so many prominent Fuji users. Even the ambassadors were generally underwhelmed, however I still think it's the best camera they've ever made. I need that shutter back in my life.

It was the size, all the mirrorless cameras were getting smaller, and then that beast came out..... I is a great camera, and although I've never had one, i like the idea of IBIS for my prime lenses.

Eye AF is not a gimmick or useless, perhaps if you do landscape photography or your subject doesnt move there are still ways to get the shot but you will not be able to move an AF point as fast as a camera with good eye AF can track a moving eye.

It is to me, never needed, still don't need it, doubt I will ever 'need' it. Yet so many on here act like a camera is useless or lesser without it. I think it's become a it of a crutch, should be seen as a bonus rather than the main feature point of any camera. But that's just my feelings. It also doesn't restrict me to only the very latest when I'm looking to switch cameras

It was the size, all the mirrorless cameras were getting smaller, and then that beast came out..... I is a great camera, and although I've never had one, i like the idea of IBIS for my prime lenses.
Yeah but it's like cars, if you want the technology and the extra features they get bigger. That Panasonic FF is a huge ugly beast of a thing.

It is to me, never needed, still don't need it, doubt I will ever 'need' it. Yet so many on here act like a camera is useless or lesser without it. I think it's become a it of a crutch, should be seen as a bonus rather than the main feature point of any camera. But that's just my feelings. It also doesn't restrict me to only the very latest when I'm looking to switch cameras

For people photography it's definitely an advantageous feature and a big selling point. Fast lenses, instant lock, no moving points means better hit rate and composition. Saying its a crutch is like saying AF, evf or even post software is a crutch.

Last edited:
Yeah but it's like cars, if you want the technology and the extra features they get bigger. That Panasonic FF is a huge ugly beast of a thing.
Not really, look how Sony managed to fit all the technology in the A9, a body not much bigger than a Fuji XT-3.
Yet the A9 has a whopping 35mm full-frame sensor inside it, 5-axis IBIS, bigger battery etc.

• Sony Alpha A9 is 4% (5.6 mm) narrower and 3% (2.8 mm) taller than FujiFilm X-T3.
  • Sony Alpha A9 is 7% (4.2 mm) thicker than FujiFilm X-T3.
  • Sony Alpha A9 [673 g] weights 25% (134 grams) more than FujiFilm X-T3 [539 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

• Sony Alpha A9 dimensions: 126.9x95.6x63 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
    FujiFilm X-T3 dimensions: 132.5x92.8x58.8 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

Last edited:

For some maybe, but mostly it was the high release price [why it didn't fare well upon release]. I think more people are buying H1 now than ever before because the prices have shot down, especially used. For me it's the perfect size, I like a good solid grip, I like to feel like I have good and proper gear in my hands. I don't like cameras that are too small. I handled an A6400 the other day for example, felt terrible in hand, like a compact. It's got no decent grip, felt crampy and uncomfortabe [at least for me] - it's the reason I didn't hang onto the X100s - and that was just as a side camera, I just couldn't get on with the small size. I certainly wouldn't want my main camera that teensy, they feel even worse when you attach larger lenses. The H1 is not big when compared to he average APSC dslr it looks small in that case. it's about on par with other ML bodies like the EOS R and Nikon Z, yes they are FF but that doesn't really have a lot to do with it not to me at least. I'd still mostly be using the same [size] primes.

For people photography it's definitely an advantageous feature and a big selling point. Fast lenses, instant lock, no moving points means better hit rate and composition. Saying its a crutch is like saying AF, evf or even post software is a crutch.

It's really not. without any form of post processing there wouldn't be any photography to begin with. If you'd said IBIS, then I might agree, that has become a bit too much of a crutch for me. It annoys me at times, I know I could do without it, I did for years, but now I've gotten too used to it and won't look at any camera lacking the feature. I would compare Eye-AF more to IBIS than anything else 'crutch'-wise.

Last edited:
Not really, look how Sony managed to fit all the technology in the A9, a body not much bigger than a Fuji XT-3.
Yet the A9 has a whopping 35mm full-frame sensor inside it, 5-axis IBIS, bigger battery etc.

• Sony Alpha A9 is 4% (5.6 mm) narrower and 3% (2.8 mm) taller than FujiFilm X-T3.
  • Sony Alpha A9 is 7% (4.2 mm) thicker than FujiFilm X-T3.
  • Sony Alpha A9 [673 g] weights 25% (134 grams) more than FujiFilm X-T3 [539 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

• Sony Alpha A9 dimensions: 126.9x95.6x63 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
    FujiFilm X-T3 dimensions: 132.5x92.8x58.8 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Yeah but the IBIS sucks and the ergonomics are awful

Back