The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

In terms of lightweight I’ve been looking at the Samyang 24mm f2.8 and Samyang 35mm f2.8, would make a good walkabout setup if you can be bothered to swap lenses.

The only ‘setup’ that would be heavier for me would be the 100-400mm, works out just over 2kg with camera compared to the EM1-II and 100-400mm at just over 1.5kg. However, it’s still 1kg lighter than the D850 with 150-600mm I was lugging about previously.

The question for me is do I go for the 24mm and 35mm on the Sony and know I’m going to have to swap lenses when out and about (not always convenient) or get the X100V and WCL converter. Pluses for the Fuji is that for me it’s easier and more convenient to add/remove the adapter, it’s lighter, it’s more analogue and it looks stunning. Minus points are the considerable cost, and that I’d need to put the thumb rest and ideally a grip on it.

Hi chap,

As your probably aware, I’m going from having arguably one of the best Sony FF setups to a Fuji X100V so happy to provide some insight as to why etc. :)

Kind regards,

Riz

The only thing I’d say, for the X100F anyway, against the Sony is that the Fuji is lovely to hold but the results just aren’t full frame. I know you’re a big fan of M4/3rds too, so maybe it wouldn’t be such an issue, but I’ve found myself picking up my A7 mk1 with OM Zuiko lenses more in the last few weeks than the Fuji.

While the Fuji definitely makes a better “street” setup, for me personally I find the A7 offers the better all round option, and final result, at the end of the day. Of course, if I was using G Master lenses, with their associated weight, I’m sure I’d accept the crop look instead ;0)
Quality of the Fuji files is more than good enough for me. I didn't find the X100 as nice to hold as I was hoping, felt like I'd nothing to hold on to. I would like to try it with the thumb rest, and probably a grip as well.
Hi chap,

As your probably aware, I’m going from having arguably one of the best Sony FF setups to a Fuji X100V so happy to provide some insight as to why etc. :)

Kind regards,

Riz
Thanks Riz. Yeah I know exactly why you're swapping, and as you know I've been considering the X100V for the same reason. The reason for the doubts is that I held the X100F this week and it wasn't as nice to hold as I was hoping (see above).

Quality of the Fuji files is more than good enough for me. I didn't find the X100 as nice to hold as I was hoping, felt like I'd nothing to hold on to. I would like to try it with the thumb rest, and probably a grip as well.
Thanks Riz. Yeah I know exactly why you're swapping, and as you know I've been considering the X100V for the same reason. The reason for the doubts is that I held the X100F this week and it wasn't as nice to hold as I was hoping (see above).

Probably a bad description from me because I agree that it definitely feels like it needs a grip (that was one of my first thoughts). I should have said that it is more tactile than the Sony, that feels a little bit angular and “hard” than the Fuji (if that’s makes sense!)

Probably a bad description from me because I agree that it definitely feels like it needs a grip (that was one of my first thoughts). I should have said that it is more tactile than the Sony, that feels a little bit angular and “hard” than the Fuji (if that’s makes sense!)

I have a grip, I bought it as it adds horizontal and vertical arca plates, but it also adds a large grip for your right hand, I only use it when I want to put the camera in a tripod, as the grip part comes very close to the front wheel making that very difficult to use (and I use that wheel for ISO adjustment and Exposure Compensation!!

And that is precisely why X-T2's are now worth diddly squat!!!! Its a great deal.

I was close to getting this X-H1 + Grip bundle [emoji1] lol
However going to see how my mojo develops then perhaps the 48mp Fuji X-H2 might do ;)

Last edited:
And that is precisely why X-T2's are now worth diddly squat!!!! Its a great deal.

Yeah, but I still love my T2, and for some reason really don`t like the tiny screen on the H1 (don`t ask me why though lol). I just might get another T2, if they`re so cheap. They seem to mostly be around the £500 mark on the usual sites etc.

Yeah, but I still love my T2, and for some reason really don`t like the tiny screen on the H1 (don`t ask me why though lol). I just might get another T2, if they`re so cheap. They seem to mostly be around the £500 mark on the usual sites etc.

I bought an X-H1 bundle in early December (private sale), sold the grip, kept the batteries, sold my X-T2 (£375), 'upgrade' still cost me less than £200 !!! I'd say £400 for a good condition s/h X-T2 and another £75-100 if it comes from a dealer with warranty - still an excellent camera

I bought an X-H1 bundle in early December (private sale), sold the grip, kept the batteries, sold my X-T2 (£375), 'upgrade' still cost me less than £200 !!! I'd say £400 for a good condition s/h X-T2 and another £75-100 if it comes from a dealer with warranty - still an excellent camera

I`m holding a refurb T2 in the basket right now lol £499 :) .... Wants or needs ho hum, but should my one break at least I`ll have a back up . Descisions, descisions.

I did exactly that, got a second body so I can keep in the X-T2 mode for as long as possible. It plus the 16-55 is my all weather grab and go rig plus it serves as a backup when I am out with my GFX doing landscapes. No reason for me to move on to X-T3 or 4 as the 2 gives me all I need plus if I were to move up I'd need to replace my Lightroom which I don't want to do I'm still on the stand alone version.

Some of the light on these is epic, and some really original views of the quarry.
Aw, thanks...the light was really good, but it only lasted a short while. But that's the great thing about the place, it really changes in different light.

That`s true, mate. I think I`ll hold off for a while, until my GAS dissipates :)

I know what its like, having been at home for the last 6 weeks, I've thought about and extensively researched every camera combination, still not got a path forward but I'm going to a Touch And Try Day (a very kind wife is been cajoled into providing a taxi service!!), so who knows what will happen. Still can't put those GFX thoughts out of my head, even though my wallet and back say no, its a scratch that appears to need attention............

I know what its like, having been at home for the last 6 weeks, I've thought about and extensively researched every camera combination, still not got a path forward but I'm going to a Touch And Try Day (a very kind wife is been cajoled into providing a taxi service!!), so who knows what will happen. Still can't put those GFX thoughts out of my head, even though my wallet and back say no, its a scratch that appears to need attention............

That`s a nighmare, mate. Especially with all the new stuff coming out. I feel for you ... Touch n Try, could ve so dangerous to the bank account lol. I `m still scared to go the the House of Fuji, in town, just in case something gets purchased ;)

Very nice! I don't usually like images that are thinner than 4x3 in portrait orientation, but here I think it really works.
Thanks - yes, it needs the cliff at the bottom - which is actually higher - or some of the dramatic impact is lost IMHO. But 4x3 is not something that particularly concerns me - plenty of great images in Western - and Eastern - art break that proportional rule. Even portraits! But we like what we like, don't we...:)

Thanks - yes, it needs the cliff at the bottom - which is actually higher - or some of the dramatic impact is lost IMHO. But 4x3 is not something that particularly concerns me - plenty of great images in Western - and Eastern - art break that proportional rule. Even portraits! But we like what we like, don't we...:)
Absolutely, it's just an aesthetic thing for me. Most of my vertical images are 5x4. But I totally agree about needing the cliff at the bottom - very dramatic.

Well I'm now the proud owner of a Dura silver X-Pro 3. It takes a bit of getting used to, the lack of d-pad severely limits the number of configurable buttons. I thought it was faulty as it was taking like 2 secs to save a shot, turns out I had clarity set to +1, as soon as I set it to 0 all was good again. Very strange.
I've been shooting almost exclusively with my X-H1 recently, and it seems I've become too reliant on the IBIS, my grandkids were up today and I decided to take some shots with the new X-Pro 3, almost all the shots were soft, most were shot around 1/20 to 1/30 second.
The Dura silver is a dirt magnet for sure, but once all the surfaces are touched it doesn't look too bad, it cleans up easily enough, but as soon as you touch it again, fingerprints appear.
It'll definitely take a while to get used to the hidden LCD, but I've assigned the front button on the ovf/evf lever to playback which helps hugely.

Nipped to Kimmeridge Bay, Dorset today just to enjoy the waves and see what it was like. There weren't any wind surfers out (although they may have been earlier in the day), but liked the waterfall.
X-T3 + 55-200
View attachment 269514

Kimmeridge is great, and Osmington Mills is even better, but access to the beach isn’t so easy.

Back