The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Seems to be a lot of debate on dpreview about the fully articulating screen on the XT-4. Opinion firmly divided, not sure I would like something hanging off the side for stills, seems they are targeting the Panasonic video users.

For me I really don`t think it`s enough for me to upgrade from my cameras in my signature, so it`s looking like it will be the X100V I will get in the summer sometime.
I agree on. not upgrading. :)

Its easy enough to assign metering to a button
It is but then you’re removing part of the Fuji appeal imo, ie having everything on a dial. It would make more sense to have the stills to video as a button as it’s just one press, but now with metering it’s one press for metering and then moving the control dial to select metering mode. Of course it’s not the end of the world and what I have to do on the Nikon, but for me it’s taking some of the ‘Fujiness’ away.

Even better would have been to assign movie to the drive dial, like you have on Nikon and Sony’s mode dial.

It is but then you’re removing part of the Fuji appeal imo, ie having everything on a dial. It would make more sense to have the stills to video as a button as it’s just one press, but now with metering it’s one press for metering and then moving the control dial to select metering mode. Of course it’s not the end of the world and what I have to do on the Nikon, but for me it’s taking some of the ‘Fujiness’ away.

Even better would have been to assign movie to the drive dial, like you have on Nikon and Sony’s mode dial.

My understanding is that you can have different function button assignments for stills and movie modes, therefore it makes sense for these to be change on a big switch rather be one setting on a multi-setting dial.

My understanding is that you can have different function button assignments for stills and movie modes, therefore it makes sense for these to be change on a big switch rather be one setting on a multi-setting dial.
Yeah that makes sense, but then put the movie mode on the drive dial then imo (y)

But you'd have one setting on the drive dial where all the function buttons changed :facepalm:
Surely this happens whatever button or dial you use to select movie mode, but at least not having it on a designated dial means you don’t lose other ‘immediate’ functions.
You are 'still' looking for that one camera that can replace both your existing bodies, I've got news for you it doesn't exist, but may be the X-H2 might work......

https://www.fujirumors.com/new-sony-aps-c-43-megapxiel-8k-stacked-bsi-sensor-for-fujifilm-x-h2/
Nope the Fuji ‘dream’ has been put to bed :(

Surely this happens whatever button or dial you use to select movie mode, but at least not having it on a designated dial means you don’t lose other ‘immediate’ functions.

Nope the Fuji ‘dream’ has been put to bed :(

And the Sony dream, and just about every other manufacturer dream, buy the 17mm for the Olly, go out and use it, and stop looking in this forum (I mean the whole of TP!!) for a couple of months, go and take some pictures, print them, enjoy them.

Last edited:
And the Sony dream, and just about every other manufacturer dream, buy the 17mm for the Olly, go out and use it, and stop looking in this forum (I mean the whole of TP!!) for a couple of months, go and take some pictures, print them, enjoy them.
Sony has never been a 'dream' more a 'sensible' solution ;)

Sony has never been a 'dream' more a 'sensible' solution ;)
My thoughts too - I’ve swayed between M43, Fuji & Sony for some time now but intend to go the Sony way given the option to use the crop when required. I just feel they have the best of both worlds with the amount of mps available in the 7R range.

Put the camera down, and get the sponge out. Your ride need it ;)
Haha. I get it washed about twice a year. I must admit it is pretty bad at the moment, but the roads around here are shocking. I am much more interested in the mechanical side of the car than aesthetics. As you can see! :D

Haha. I get it washed about twice a year. I must admit it is pretty bad at the moment, but the roads around here are shocking. I am much more interested in the mechanical side of the car than aesthetics. As you can see! :D

Fair shout, mate :) Mine isn`t much cleaner, but being metallic grey it doesn`t show so much ;)

I`ll eagerly be awaiting the clean car shots ;)

My thoughts too - I’ve swayed between M43, Fuji & Sony for some time now but intend to go the Sony way given the option to use the crop when required. I just feel they have the best of both worlds with the amount of mps available in the 7R range.
Well I'm sure you've been following my saga so you'll probably know this already but I've always been looking for a one system do-it-all system (no different to anyone else I guess) but due to health limitations weight is a concern. However, I've always tried to find a way that this doesn't prevent me from getting the image quality I want. Now I know you don't get everything you want in life (if I did I'd have bought the Leica Q2 and not been struggling to find a 'walkabout' solution ;)) but as new tech comes out it brings me closer to the holy grail.

On top of this I've lost my mojo and have really fancied going down the more analogue approach of Fuji so that I might 'engage' more in the process, but as you may have seen from a previous post the Fuji, as beautiful as the cameras are, still wouldn't be a one stop shop and I'd still end up with two systems which defeats part of the purpose. Which brings me onto Sony.

With the crazy 61mp it allows a 2x crop whilst maintaining decent resolution meaning that I can use a 100-400mm for wildlife and get the same 800mm effective reach I currently have. Also with the newly announced Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 I could replace my 70-200mm f2.8 and save 700g, nearly half the weight. Actually it's less than half the weight when you consider that I currently use my 70-200mm with the FTZ adapter.

The 'only' drawback with the Sony system is that it's no less 'sterile' to use than my current gear.

Now I know to some on here it looks like I'm jumping from pillar to post and procrastinating over and over but it's just a case of weighing up all options trying to find the best solution/compromise. We're not talking a couple of hundred quid investment here and so it's not a decision I'm going to jump in to. Now I know all the stars are not going to align and provide me with the perfect solution (that would be the Sony System with Fuji styling and analogue controls ;)) but I need at least 90% of the stars to align ;)

Well I'm sure you've been following my saga so you'll probably know this already but I've always been looking for a one system do-it-all system (no different to anyone else I guess) but due to health limitations weight is a concern. However, I've always tried to find a way that this doesn't prevent me from getting the image quality I want. Now I know you don't get everything you want in life (if I did I'd have bought the Leica Q2 and not been struggling to find a 'walkabout' solution ;)) but as new tech comes out it brings me closer to the holy grail.

On top of this I've lost my mojo and have really fancied going down the more analogue approach of Fuji so that I might 'engage' more in the process, but as you may have seen from a previous post the Fuji, as beautiful as the cameras are, still wouldn't be a one stop shop and I'd still end up with two systems which defeats part of the purpose. Which brings me onto Sony.

With the crazy 61mp it allows a 2x crop whilst maintaining decent resolution meaning that I can use a 100-400mm for wildlife and get the same 800mm effective reach I currently have. Also with the newly announced Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 I could replace my 70-200mm f2.8 and save 700g, nearly half the weight. Actually it's less than half the weight when you consider that I currently use my 70-200mm with the FTZ adapter.

The 'only' drawback with the Sony system is that it's no less 'sterile' to use than my current gear.

Now I know to some on here it looks like I'm jumping from pillar to post and procrastinating over and over but it's just a case of weighing up all options trying to find the best solution/compromise. We're not talking a couple of hundred quid investment here and so it's not a decision I'm going to jump in to. Now I know all the stars are not going to align and provide me with the perfect solution (that would be the Sony System with Fuji styling and analogue controls ;)) but I need at least 90% of the stars to align ;)
I must admit I have taken an interest in your posts in the different manufacturer threads on here, with a great deal of interest may I add.
I too have physical health issues which is the reason I had to abandon my Canon gear some time ago. I have messed around with Fuji’s, Olympus and Panasonic systems and even the early Sony A6000’s and although there are some folk making them work for them, I’ve never really convinced myself that they are my ideal systems.

Recently I’ve taken a closer, and detailed look into the higher end Sony’s which seem to have most of what I feel I need in a kind of ‘middle ground‘ way - the lenses aren’t the lightest but then neither are the other makes at higher level either.

So, I resolved that the A7Rs have all the features that I need, with the right choice of lenses - 100-400 (wildlife is my first interest but not exclusive) is a great lens with ability to make 800mm if required, the rest to be decided.
Weight and quality issues will finally be what I feel to be the least compromise for me going forward.
I do like Fuji, I enjoyed using the system very much but it never really sat right with me for my main interest areas.

I decided I just about had time to get to Gors Fawr before sunset (30 mins), take a few pictures and get back to my hotel in time for dinner, despite having only just unpacked. On the way, it started raining again, and I thought I'd probably wasted my time. But I did what you're supposed to do as a landscape tog - get in position, find a composition, and hope the light shows up. Which to my amazement, just for once, it actually did, for a few precious minutes. I was astounded. I'm not the biggest fan of sun stars, but sometimes what can you do? Mustn't grumble... ;-)

Benediction
by David Hallett, on Flickr

I must admit I have taken an interest in your posts in the different manufacturer threads on here, with a great deal of interest may I add.
I too have physical health issues which is the reason I had to abandon my Canon gear some time ago. I have messed around with Fuji’s, Olympus and Panasonic systems and even the early Sony A6000’s and although there are some folk making them work for them, I’ve never really convinced myself that they are my ideal systems.

Recently I’ve taken a closer, and detailed look into the higher end Sony’s which seem to have most of what I feel I need in a kind of ‘middle ground‘ way - the lenses aren’t the lightest but then neither are the other makes at higher level either.

So, I resolved that the A7Rs have all the features that I need, with the right choice of lenses - 100-400 (wildlife is my first interest but not exclusive) is a great lens with ability to make 800mm if required, the rest to be decided.
Weight and quality issues will finally be what I feel to be the least compromise for me going forward.
I do like Fuji, I enjoyed using the system very much but it never really sat right with me for my main interest areas.
In terms of lightweight I’ve been looking at the Samyang 24mm f2.8 and Samyang 35mm f2.8, would make a good walkabout setup if you can be bothered to swap lenses.

The only ‘setup’ that would be heavier for me would be the 100-400mm, works out just over 2kg with camera compared to the EM1-II and 100-400mm at just over 1.5kg. However, it’s still 1kg lighter than the D850 with 150-600mm I was lugging about previously.

The question for me is do I go for the 24mm and 35mm on the Sony and know I’m going to have to swap lenses when out and about (not always convenient) or get the X100V and WCL converter. Pluses for the Fuji is that for me it’s easier and more convenient to add/remove the adapter, it’s lighter, it’s more analogue and it looks stunning. Minus points are the considerable cost, and that I’d need to put the thumb rest and ideally a grip on it.

I decided I just about had time to get to Gors Fawr before sunset (30 mins), take a few pictures and get back to my hotel in time for dinner, despite having only just unpacked. On the way, it started raining again, and I thought I'd probably wasted my time. But I did what you're supposed to do as a landscape tog - get in position, find a composition, and hope the light shows up. Which to my amazement, just for once, it actually did, for a few precious minutes. I was astounded. I'm not the biggest fan of sun stars, but sometimes what can you do? Mustn't grumble... ;-)

Benediction

Worth waiting for too David, a great shot and liking the star burst off the sun.

In terms of lightweight I’ve been looking at the Samyang 24mm f2.8 and Samyang 35mm f2.8, would make a good walkabout setup if you can be bothered to swap lenses.

The only ‘setup’ that would be heavier for me would be the 100-400mm, works out just over 2kg with camera compared to the EM1-II and 100-400mm at just over 1.5kg. However, it’s still 1kg lighter than the D850 with 150-600mm I was lugging about previously.

The question for me is do I go for the 24mm and 35mm on the Sony and know I’m going to have to swap lenses when out and about (not always convenient) or get the X100V and WCL converter. Pluses for the Fuji is that for me it’s easier and more convenient to add/remove the adapter, it’s lighter, it’s more analogue and it looks stunning. Minus points are the considerable cost, and that I’d need to put the thumb rest and ideally a grip on it.
I can see your point but I’ve never really considered a fixed lens camera as for me it wouldn’t be ideal.
I’m thinking possibly Tamron 28-75 f2.8 would be a good walk around option, gets good reviews and would cover the wide / portrait option.
No final decision as yet as I’m looking to May before I pull any triggers but that’s certainly in my radar.

The only thing I’d say, for the X100F anyway, against the Sony is that the Fuji is lovely to hold but the results just aren’t full frame. I know you’re a big fan of M4/3rds too, so maybe it wouldn’t be such an issue, but I’ve found myself picking up my A7 mk1 with OM Zuiko lenses more in the last few weeks than the Fuji.

While the Fuji definitely makes a better “street” setup, for me personally I find the A7 offers the better all round option, and final result, at the end of the day. Of course, if I was using G Master lenses, with their associated weight, I’m sure I’d accept the crop look instead ;0)

Benediction
Another cracking image

Back