The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Quick question, the hood on my 10-24 has started being difficult to remove once on, and almost impossible to "reverse" when I put it away. I've noticed that Fuji are out of stock, so putting 2 & 2 together, is this a common problem?

Is there a 3rd party hood anyone can recommend?

Quick question, the hood on my 10-24 has started being difficult to remove once on, and almost impossible to "reverse" when I put it away. I've noticed that Fuji are out of stock, so putting 2 & 2 together, is this a common problem?

Mmm I'll be interested to hear too, as I have trouble with my 55-200

I`ve had similar with my 23 hood, buy sussed it`s due to me being a tad heavy handed with gripping it.

If you put a small amount of “Graphite” (pencil lead) on the main contact points it should make it a lot easier to attach & remove.

George.

My 55-200 is awful to try and reverse. So much so that I often find it falls off when I take the lens out of my bag. My 16-55 isn’t a lot better. I’ve almost snapped it a couple of times.

If you put a small amount of “Graphite” (pencil lead) on the main contact points it should make it a lot easier to attach & remove.

George.

Cheers George. I’ll give that a try tomorrow.

Not sure how to use Auto ISO on Fuji. Used to being able to adjust exposure compensation on Nikon to bring a picture up or down from the metered 'baseline' exposure, however on Fuji it doesn't seem that exposure compensation works in the same way. The exposure compensation value seems to move up and down on it's own? Maybe I need to consult my instruction manual but thought I'd ask on here first :p. Cause I'm lazy

Hmm, seems to work normally to me.

I have aperture priority and auto iso.

Exposure comp works fine.

Be interesting to find out what you're doing different to me.

Hmm, seems to work normally to me.

I have aperture priority and auto iso.

Exposure comp works fine.

Be interesting to find out what you're doing different to me.
I tried again and it’s working as expected now. I put it down to user error

I tried again and it’s working as expected now. I put it down to user error

Got a vague feeling that I had the same head-scratcher the other day. Perhaps with neither aperture and shutter speed set to 'A' - i.e. Manual mode - then Exposure Compensation doesn't make sense. Something like that? I'll check and try to replicate it tomorrow.

Got a vague feeling that I had the same head-scratcher the other day. Perhaps with neither aperture and shutter speed set to 'A' - i.e. Manual mode - then Exposure Compensation doesn't make sense. Something like that? I'll check and try to replicate it tomorrow.

exposure compensation doesn’t work in full manual (and why would it??)

Those photos don`t really help, as once it`s on the lens it does look cool and not big at all.

Might have to look into that then, if I have any more issues. Cheers mate (y)

Any X-Pro 3 users here ? I've had mine 3 weeks now and to be honest I'm finding it a little bit difficult to get on with. I had it out on Sunday for a couple of hours and I was disappointed with the results. I took my X-Pro 2 out after and it was like putting an old comfortable pair of shoes on ! It just feels right in my hands.
I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it's because of the lack of D-pad I can't configure the buttons on both cameras the same.

So, for a good friend of mine (who's not yet a member on here), what's the collective verdict on the Fuji 16-80 F4 OIS please ?

He's currently moving from Canon FF fo Fuji and his most used lens on his 5D MK II is the 24-105, so he was thinking about the 16-80 (24-120 effective), but is a little concerned by the less than enthusiastic reviews this lens gets. Usually 5x or more zooms from any manufacturer aren't going to be as good as say a 3x zoom e.g. 24-70, (except maybe the incredible 8x Olympus 12-100 F4), but most of the reviews seem to suggest that corners are quite soft and that at 80mm the whole frame is just average ?

Any thoughts please ?

Any X-Pro 3 users here ? I've had mine 3 weeks now and to be honest I'm finding it a little bit difficult to get on with. I had it out on Sunday for a couple of hours and I was disappointed with the results. I took my X-Pro 2 out after and it was like putting an old comfortable pair of shoes on ! It just feels right in my hands.
I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it's because of the lack of D-pad I can't configure the buttons on both cameras the same.

I’ve got one Jim. My first X-Pro. Liking it so far.

So, for a good friend of mine (who's not yet a member on here), what's the collective verdict on the Fuji 16-80 F4 OIS please ?

He's currently moving from Canon FF fo Fuji and his most used lens on his 5D MK II is the 24-105, so he was thinking about the 16-80 (24-120 effective), but is a little concerned by the less than enthusiastic reviews this lens gets. Usually 5x or more zooms from any manufacturer aren't going to be as good as say a 3x zoom e.g. 24-70, (except maybe the incredible 8x Olympus 12-100 F4), but most of the reviews seem to suggest that corners are quite soft and that at 80mm the whole frame is just average ?

Any thoughts please ?

I'm having the same trouble. I've seen the same reviews and the tech test at lenstip - https://www.lenstip.com/571.4-Lens_...F_16-80_mm_f_4_R_OIS_WR_Image_resolution.html - is not super encouraging. Same with the Christopher Frost review. But until there are more third parties making lenses, it's that or the 16-50/2.8. And that one's not that much better: https://www.lenstip.com/433.4-Lens_..._16-55_mm_f_2.8_R_LM_WR_Image_resolution.html

The OIS on the 16-80 makes it my preferred choice (that and the fact that the 'meh' 80mm performance is better than no 80mm range).

exposure compensation doesn’t work in full manual (and why would it??)

That's my point - the Fuji setup allows a not-full-manual mode. Using Auto ISO.

ATROTGTSE: the camera chooses a 'correct' ISO for its metering, following your choices of Ap and SS. It's semi-auto. From memory, I experimented by wandering around London with SS set at 1/500 and Ap at f8 and with Auto ISO. It worked well enough, mostly. But there are times when you see tricky subjects and IIRC I could not use the exposure compensation. It totally makes sense to use that in Auto ISO mode.

I'll have to check later today (the X-T1 is new to me and my first Fuji), but I think that's what happens.

Any thoughts please ?

Does it have to be an all in one lens? I would honestly opt for the old reliable 18-55 2.8-4 and something like a Viltrox 85 1.8 instead, or if the longer end isn't so important I'd definitely prefer the 16-55 2.8. That doesn't have OIS, but it's a stop faster at least so you can use higher shutter speeds - Fuji sensors are decent enough for higher ISO too

Any thoughts please ?

I can’t offer first-hand opinion as I use the 16-55 but if the 16-80 had been available when I switched to Fuji last year I’d have bought one instead of the 16-55 for the same reason as your mate, the useful focal length. I‘ve thought about changing ever since the 16-80 was released and read loads of reviews to try and make my mind up. The 16-55 is a fantastic lens IQ-wise and I’ve decided not to swap after much thinking. The one ‘review’ that (finally) helped me decide was this one:

https://lenscraft.co.uk/photography-blog/fuji-16-80-lens-review/

It‘s worth a read.

From my mooch around Snowdonia the other day.

I stumbled across this little-known spot with a scruffy little tree. I love it when you find hidden gems that no-one else has ever taken a photo of. :p:exit:

Exactly where is this Jason? I'm in Snowdonia in May with my car club, and I'd like to get at least one day's shooting while I'm there...

Back