The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

• Fujifilm X100V
  • ƒ/2.0
  • 33.0 mm
  • 1/125
  • Flash (off, did not fire)
49659199147_51a89da25b_c.jpg
Such a huge improvement over the F at f/2.0

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask (new here!) But, I'm getting back to photography after about a 10 year break, lots has changed in that time!

I want to get a Fujifilm XT, as I really like the small form and, of course, the images and colours.
But, if you wouldn't mind, would I be best placed to pick up an XT20 with the 18-55 2.8-4 for what seems a very good price of under £600, or future proof (maybe) and pick up the newer XT30, with the slower (but still very good, apparently) 15-45mm kit lens.

I'm maybe leaning towards the XT20, as it is £200 cheaper, with the quicker lens. But then, it's easier to buy additional glass than a body upgrade. I've no doubt the XT20 is more than enough camera for me, for shots of the kids, beaches, bit of vlogging... But I have a nagging feeling that the XT30 will keep me busy for a good few years with no "what ifs?".

Sorry, long post... thank you all. Hope everyone is safe and well.

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask (new here!) But, I'm getting back to photography after about a 10 year break, lots has changed in that time!

I want to get a Fujifilm XT, as I really like the small form and, of course, the images and colours.
But, if you wouldn't mind, would I be best placed to pick up an XT20 with the 18-55 2.8-4 for what seems a very good price of under £600, or future proof (maybe) and pick up the newer XT30, with the slower (but still very good, apparently) 15-45mm kit lens.

I'm maybe leaning towards the XT20, as it is £200 cheaper, with the quicker lens. But then, it's easier to buy additional glass than a body upgrade. I've no doubt the XT20 is more than enough camera for me, for shots of the kids, beaches, bit of vlogging... But I have a nagging feeling that the XT30 will keep me busy for a good few years with no "what ifs?".

I use to have the X-T20 and thought it a great little camera and easy to use. The X-T30 was the upgrade from the X-T20 with better sensor but they did away with the D-Pad. Both not WR but eother one will give you great IQ. The XF18-55mm is a cracking lens and you will love it.

Such a huge improvement over the F at f/2.0
Yep and that was taken with the TCL-X100 adaptor too :D (50mm equiv).
I am really impressed with the IQ coming from the full-frame Sony A9.
The AF system isn't as bad as I thought it would be either, I guess because I am taking shots at a slower pace, I am spending more time getting the shot right with Eye-AF.
The body of the X100V just oooozes quality, it feels very lush in the hands, even when its sat in my drawer gazing up at me, its just pure class! lol :D

Welcome.

To throw another idea into the mix, think about a secondhand XT2. Same IQ as the XT20 but a tougher, weather sealed body. Might be useful if getting splashed on the beach.

Thanks @Fuji Dave , that link was helpful, easier to understand than some of YouTube comparisons I've been watching! To be honest, a big attraction is that the XT20 with the XF kit lens is £549! So, it almost seems worth it just to grab the lens and if i came to sell the body in a year, it probably wouldnt cost me too much. Though, my last DSLR was an APS-C of 10mp, which predates video capture and used a big ol' compact flash, so really, any modern camera is going to wow me

@JasonPC , that's a shout, I hadn't really considered it because I wanted small... But they're not exactly bulky. A friend is a wedding photographer and uses one to great effect, that's what turned me onto to Fuji actually.

I personally would go with the XT20+18-55 vs a XT30+15-45 unless video features of the XT30 were really important.

The reason is that the 18-55 while heavier and bulkier than the 15-45 is just a nicer lens to use IMO because of the manual zoom ring.

The XT2 has been mentioned - the Fuji refurb store is offering the XT2 + 18-55 at £599, The XT2 is bulkier than the XT20 or XT30 but is weather resistant and should have a nicer viewfinder. (My personal view is that the XT30 is a bit small - the XT2 and XT3 are the 'Goldilocks' size in this family if you are OK with the slightly larger size).

Seriously considering a 16-55mm f2.8 for the X-H1

Thoughts from those that have used one?

When I bought my X-H1 and used it with my 16-55 I posted that I thought it was a marriage made in heaven and my opinion hasn't changed. I bought the 16-55 and used it with my X-T1 which was a bit unbalanced, but the X-H1 body shape and IBIS makes it sing.

Last edited:
Thanks @Fuji Dave , that link was helpful, easier to understand than some of YouTube comparisons I've been watching! To be honest, a big attraction is that the XT20 with the XF kit lens is £549! So, it almost seems worth it just to grab the lens and if i came to sell the body in a year, it probably wouldnt cost me too much. Though, my last DSLR was an APS-C of 10mp, which predates video capture and used a big ol' compact flash, so really, any modern camera is going to wow me

@JasonPC , that's a shout, I hadn't really considered it because I wanted small... But they're not exactly bulky. A friend is a wedding photographer and uses one to great effect, that's what turned me onto to Fuji actually.

Have you looked at the Fuji refurb store?

https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/digital-cameras/refurbished-digital-cameras

We are still working, but from home, but took time out to do a little self distancing today with the dog. And then can catch up with this page later on. Social media and Talk Photography are going to be a godsend to many.
The pics are much sharper than depicting on there, should sort out my Flickr again I suppose - well I will have time now.
X-T3 + 55-200
View attachment 272771View attachment 272772

Two very nice Fujigraphs, liking both of these very much.

George.

@Jelster, ta for the link, I hadn't heard of it until it was earlier pointed out. Unfortunately, there's not much in stock... if I could stretch to 1k, I'd be very tempted by that xt3!!

Strange as this morning I get an email saying the 35mm will be delivered then I get another message saying Not today. But just now had the XF35mm f1,4 delivered so a nice day so stuck it on the H1 for a quick test shot of my model... Susie.

Susie Test by Dave, on Flickr

Seriously considering a 16-55mm f2.8 for the X-H1

Thoughts from those that have used one?
I had the 16-55 f2.8 before I bought my X-H1, I used it primarily on my X-Pro 2. I got some lovely images with it, but a lot of soft images as well. Even with the hand grip it didn’t balance well, so I sold it.
A week after I made an impulse purchase of the X-H1 I bought another, such a difference the IBIS made to that lens. It balances perfectly on the X-H1 it is a marriage made in heaven. It is getting near DSLR territory size wise but it’s such a lovely combo. Get one, you won’t regret it !

Just a simple tourist type Fujigraph taken at London UK of a Horse Guards boot etc with a very high degree of Bull.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

"Could Almost Go In The "GLASS" Challenge". :):)

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/250th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.

Horse Guards Bull-03390
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Must admit I'm a great fan of the XT20/30 series though most people prefer the X-T2/3, paired XT20 with the 18-55 and of the f2 primes it's a small lightweight kit which gives excellent IQ.
If you not in a mad rush it might be worth waiting to see if one comes up in the refub store they seem to come pretty regular, there are 5% codes about off your first purchase so a XT20 and the 18 -55 would come out about £415. I'm sure I got a 5% off voucher I see if I can find the email if it's any good.

Sorry for the Swan overload, but I love the detail in this one taken this afternoon. It's approx 25% of the full frame

DSCF3852 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Don't be! beautiful creatures. Used to get tonnes of them gather near the rowing club in my old town, rarely see any these days where I'm at. There was a couple pairs on the stretch of the Boyne nearby but it's been 2 year since I spotted them now

Don't be! beautiful creatures. Used to get tonnes of them gather near the rowing club in my old town, rarely see any these days where I'm at. There was a couple pairs on the stretch of the Boyne nearby but it's been 2 year since I spotted them now

There's plenty of activity at Hogganfield Loch which is just 5 minutes away by car, and it's one of the main reasons I like going there. I would say there must be around 100 birds and they get fed regularly by the locals and the walkers. The goosanders, tufted ducks, whooper swans, are all fairly happy being close, so you get some good shots without the need for a long lens. They also like running and flying a short distance to reach the food from the other side of the loch, so you get some great spectacles as they run on the water

Strange as this morning I get an email saying the 35mm will be delivered then I get another message saying Not today. But just now had the XF35mm f1,4 delivered so a nice day so stuck it on the H1 for a quick test shot of my model... Susie.

Susie Test by Dave, on Flickr

She's such a cutie

What are you all up to ? I've just had a massive image cull and back up, well overdue. Probably still kept way too many personal images, over 30k excluding work stuff for clients LOL

What are you all up to ? I've just had a massive image cull and back up, well overdue. Probably still kept way too many personal images, over 30k excluding work stuff for clients LOL

I just finished processing a Wedding and have been to the post office sending off their USB. Just going to copy all the files off my laptop onto my NAS and do a backup tonight.

Dunno if I can use this one for the challenge as it was taken before? Couples have allowed me to share their photos of course.

Glass
DSCF0522 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Mass wash of Yoga equipment, from eye pillows to mats. Things like the eye pillows are relatively easy (even if it did involve unpicking seams to "drain" the flax seed filling, then refilling and sewing the buggers up again! [That was Mrs Nod's job!!!]), as were the blankets and straps but the mats are a PITA. Need to be washed one at a time (luckily they're machine washable) and the machine needs watching at every spin then they take an age to dry. Thank something that it's been sunny for the past couple of days - we've managed 6 of them so far, only 30 left to do...

Photographically, I've just been looking at past years' holiday snaps, wondering when we'll be able to go back and how many of our holiday "family" will have survived; in our mid 50s, we're the youngsters and several of the older members have assorted health issues.

I liked the 16-55, it's a very good lens all-round I just wouldn't say it blew me away by any means. I did wish it could focus a bit closer with better magnification like many equivalent lenses on other systems can [take the Olympus 12-40 for example, can do 1:3 mag and focus 10cm closer than the Fuji in a lens half the weight and size]
Hi - the close focus on the 16-55 is closer than listed. On my XT3 at 16mm it focusses at about 27cm from the focus plain which is about 14cm from the front of the lens. Not sure about other focal lengths though..

I'm culling some of my images albeit not at the same levels as yourself.
I'm also trying to encourage myself to pick up the camera each day and photograph things I wouldn't normally glance twice at.

Just a simple tourist type Fujigraph taken at London UK of a Horse Guards boot etc with a very high degree of Bull.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

"Could Almost Go In The "GLASS" Challenge". :):)

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/250th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.

Horse Guards Bull-03390
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Nice shot George, spotless boots.

Back