The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Anyone here use the cheapo 15-45? More specifically, with an older camera like the XE1.

I‘ve an idea rattling around my head. :) I might send my XE1 for an IR conversion. I’ve got the 16-55 which, apparently, is not good for IR (hotspots.) I’ve also got the 55-200 which seems to work well for IR. Doing a bit of ’net trawling, it seems that the 15-45 works pretty well for IR and, since, it’s cheap s/h, it might be worth getting.?

I am looking to practise some more portraits and studio lighting projects, and as such i'd like to tether my camera when shooting. As ON1 doesn't support this for the Fuji system I am considering buying Capture 1 pro. Does anyone here use this, and if so how do you rate it?

There is a free 30 trial offer on at the moment, Try it and see. I've just downloaded it . It has a good reputation for tethering, which I have yet to try out.

There is a free 30 trial offer on at the moment, Try it and see. I've just downloaded it . It has a good reputation for tethering, which I have yet to try out.
Going to try that tonight.

Anyone here use the cheapo 15-45? More specifically, with an older camera like the XE1.

I‘ve an idea rattling around my head. :) I might send my XE1 for an IR conversion. I’ve got the 16-55 which, apparently, is not good for IR (hotspots.) I’ve also got the 55-200 which seems to work well for IR. Doing a bit of ’net trawling, it seems that the 15-45 works pretty well for IR and, since, it’s cheap s/h, it might be worth getting.?
I got the X-E1 converted, what filter would you go for Jason?
Havent got the 15-45 but the f2 primes seem to work pretty well.

I got the X-E1 converted, what filter would you go for Jason?
Havent got the 15-45 but the f2 primes seem to work pretty well.

I‘d probably go for the 665nm. Protech seem to come well recommended (if they are open at the minute.)

I‘ve got the 35f2 so if that works for IR then that’s good news. Seems that the 18-135 is excellent for IR but I really don’t want to spend that much money.

I'm going to get a Fuji for my first camera and I am itching to get started!

As a complete beginner, which of the following would you recommend to me.

1) Fuji X-T20 used with (XF18-55mm Lens) at £550
2) Fuji X-T30 used with (XF18-55mm Lens) at £800
3)Fuji X-T30 completely new with (XF18-55mm Lens)at £900
4)Fuji X-T2 body used for £500, then get (XF18-155 lens) used at £280 (https://www.parkcameras.com/p/SH-60...fujifilm/used-fujifilm-18-55mm-f28-4-r-lm-ois)

I'd mostly be doing street photography and nature.

Any advice would be appreciated

4)Fuji X-T2 body used for £500, then get (XF18-155 lens) used at £280 (https://www.parkcameras.com/p/SH-60...fujifilm/used-fujifilm-18-55mm-f28-4-r-lm-ois)

Hi Nathan and welcome, any of those X cameras are great to use and own as I have had them all over time. As your just starting out maybe go for the X-T2 body as it is also Weather Seal if need be, pius the XF18-55mm kit lens is the best on the market for a kit lens but not WR.

I’d get the XT2 for the better handling and weather sealing. Keep an eye on the Fuji refurb store for bargains. You get 12 months warranty and items are usually mint condition.

18-135 works very well, as does 14mm

Pick up a used X-T2, great camera and it will take you on your journey.

I have one for sale, boxed etc if you're interested.

I would say the T2, but what ever you decide on, have a look at the fuji refurb store
https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/digital-cameras/refurbished-digital-cameras?p=1

I tried the tethering last night, and have had a bit of a play with the editing, I've decided to make the leap and go for it. :) I've gone for the perpetual licence rather than subscription.

Right so I finally decided to go for the X-T20 for a few reasons.

It was much cheaper than the rest. I got the X-T20 with XF 18-55mm lens kit for £525. I am only starting out and the general feeling is that this camera is excellent for a beginner and it comes with a great lens kit. I didn't see a need for me to spend more than necessary.

The lack of weather sealing does not bother me much because I do not indeed to use the camera in terrible conditions anyway. Also there were a few things online about the size of the camera. I've quite small hands, so I don't see the handling of the camera being an issue at all. Also I'd prefer a smaller camera for when I go on a holiday.

Also, another major factor was the fact a lot of you guys mentioned that the glass is much more important than the actual camera. Getting the X-T20 at a reduced price means I can look at getting an additional lens (any recommendations would be welcome).

Also, another major factor was the fact a lot of you guys mentioned that the glass is much more important than the actual camera. Getting the X-T20 at a reduced price means I can look at getting an additional lens (any recommendations would be welcome).

What do you want to shoot and what's your budget? These two things will control what your next purchase will be.

Right so I finally decided to go for the X-T20 for a few reasons.

It was much cheaper than the rest. I got the X-T20 with XF 18-55mm lens kit for £525. I am only starting out and the general feeling is that this camera is excellent for a beginner and it comes with a great lens kit. I didn't see a need for me to spend more than necessary.

The lack of weather sealing does not bother me much because I do not indeed to use the camera in terrible conditions anyway. Also there were a few things online about the size of the camera. I've quite small hands, so I don't see the handling of the camera being an issue at all. Also I'd prefer a smaller camera for when I go on a holiday.

Well done, the X-T20 is lovely camera (my wife has one)and don't buy anything else yet!! Make sure you are really happy with the handling of the X-T20 before you go a glass crusade. The 18-55 is a great lens and very versatile, stick with it for a bit while you learn the camera, then decide on what sort of things you want to shoot and choose the next piece of glass appropriately.

For street I'd want a small fast lens like the newish 35mm 2 WR, tho ideal is a little wider and faster like a 23mm 1.4. This latter is pricey but beautiful. For nature you really need 100-400mm as minimum, unless you want to shoot small close up things, in which case you need a macro lens.

If you want more reach then the 55-200 is a great lens reasonably priced, especially secondhand. The ‘budget‘ zoom - 50-230 - is really cheap and well thought of, (I’ve never used one but general opinion is that it punches well above it‘s price tag.) The 100-400 is the best solution for subjects you can’t get too close to, but comes with a hefty price tag.

Last edited:
Well done, the X-T20 is lovely camera (my wife has one)and don't buy anything else yet!! Make sure you are really happy with the handling of the X-T20 before you go a glass crusade. The 18-55 is a great lens and very versatile, stick with it for a bit while you learn the camera, then decide on what sort of things you want to shoot and choose the next piece of glass appropriately.

This

This is something completely different for me, I’ve had a set of macro tubes for about 6 months now but haven’t really had much chance to use them until this afternoon when this decided to make an appearance. It’s a shame I didn’t pull off enough depth of field to get the whole body in focus but for an early attempt I’m quite pleased actually. Purely going by its appearance and behaviour I’m guessing it’s a Red Darter?

DSCX0210 by James, on Flickr

Back