The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

A Snap from @Fuji Dave land.
Just a simple tourist type Landscape/Seascape Fujigraph taken at Brighton Sussex UK of the Brighton/Palace Pier. Thought I'd mess about with the PP a bit with this one to give it a higher contrast gritty effect.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/1250th @ F8, ISO-320, Handheld.
Palace/Brighton Pier-03429 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Nice composition George - straight through the middle and the sky gives some interest too (y)

Nice composition George - straight through the middle and the sky gives some interest too (y)

Thank you kindly Alan, I sure do appreciate your reply.

G.K.Jnr.

I've decided after about 5 years out of the hobby to come back to photography and have settled on a Fuji fixed lens to really force me back into making better composition choices. Plus I wanted something small so I'd be more willing to always carry it.

based on my budget, the X100T seems the choice for me but is it worth the squeeze for the X100F? Anyone jumped between these and loved or regretted it?

I've decided after about 5 years out of the hobby to come back to photography and have settled on a Fuji fixed lens to really force me back into making better composition choices. Plus I wanted something small so I'd be more willing to always carry it.

based on my budget, the X100T seems the choice for me but is it worth the squeeze for the X100F? Anyone jumped between these and loved or regretted it?

The F is quite a significant upgrade on the T, and I would say it is worth it especially at the £599 price in the Fuji Refurb store, the biggest 'upgrade changes are'

• Larger Sensor, and better on low light
  • Larger capacity battery (and compatible with most other Fujifilm X series cameras)
  • Joystick for adjusting focus point
  • More customisable - more buttons and very useful front command dial
  • More Exposure Compensation Range (up to +/- 5EV using the front command dial)
  • Faster on-board processor - its just quicker everywhere, startup, writing files, auto focus, etc

When you add all these up, the F becomes the obvious choice, also the X-TransIII sensor is just sharper than previous X-Trans sensors, so while you think the higher resolution would show the up- the fixed lens, in reality it doesn't.

Last edited:
That look little convincing. X100F it is! Hopefully I can get the other half into enjoying photopraphy too :)

Are there any 'Must have' Accessories, I'm going to get a thumb grip and a couple of filters, but is there anything else?

Watch that the Thumb Grip doesn't get in the way of the real command dial, I suggest a decent strap and a spare battery.

That look little convincing. X100F it is! Hopefully I can get the other half into enjoying photopraphy too :)

Are there any 'Must have' Accessories, I'm going to get a thumb grip and a couple of filters, but is there anything else?

I recently got a soft shutter release for my new 100F, and it's awesome, definitely worth the £3 or whatever. A brass one looks like the dog's danglies on a silver 100F too.

I've also got a thumb rest that slots into the hot shoe. It makes it ten times easier to use one handed, but it can catch on your clothing when it's hanging on a neck strap.

Oh and get a screen protector too!

edit: I 3d printed my thumb rest and it's a bit higher than the ones on ebay etc, so maybe a lower one would interfere with dials like David says.

IMG_20200623_092842.jpg

Last edited:

Excellent - the F really is a significant upgrade over the earlier, S & T.

I recently got a soft shutter release for my new 100F, and it's awesome, definitely worth the £3 or whatever. A brass one looks like the dog's danglies on a silver 100F too.

I've also got a thumb rest that slots into the hot shoe. It makes it ten times easier to use one handed, but it can catch on your clothing when it's hanging on a neck strap.

edit: I 3d printed my thumb rest and it's a bit higher than the ones on ebay etc, so maybe a lower one would interfere with dials like David says.

View attachment 283991

Wasn't the F thumb grip hinged to allow for access to the rear buttons? or are they now doing fixed ones but in the higher up position like your 3d printed one?

Wasn't the F thumb grip hinged to allow for access to the rear buttons? or are they now doing fixed ones but in the higher up position like your 3d printed one?

Not sure to be honest, I only had a quick look at the cheapo ones on eBay that don't hinge. They seem to drop down slightly before going across the back of the camera and might get in the way of the rear dial and AEL/AFL button. That's why I printed the higher one, although I think it would become a pain in the rear if I wanted to change the ISO or manually change shutter speed a lot.

Just had a look for a hinged one and they the only ones I could find are a looooot of money, and I'd be too scared of losing it haha. Mine was only 6 pence to print so can just print another when it inevitably falls off lol.

Not sure to be honest, I only had a quick look at the cheapo ones on eBay that don't hinge. They seem to drop down slightly before going across the back of the camera and might get in the way of the rear dial and AEL/AFL button. That's why I printed the higher one, although I think it would become a pain in the rear if I wanted to change the ISO or manually change shutter speed a lot.

Just had a look for a hinged one and they the only ones I could find are a looooot of money, and I'd be too scared of losing it haha. Mine was only 6 pence to print so can just print another when it inevitably falls off lol.

I think you've just set yourself up to make a load for forum members - I reckon you could charge more than 6p though!!

I think you've just set yourself up to make a load for forum members - I reckon you could charge more than 6p though!!
Yup, add me to that list!

Aha that would be awesome. Unfortunately it's not my design (it's from Thingiverse, link here) so I make it but can't sell it.

I've also printed a battery case that holds three batteries (link) and I'm currently modelling a protective base plate that mounts to the bottom of the camera using the tripod hole.

View attachment 283991

Top notch. Did you create the STL yourself or find it on Thingiverse etc? 100% infill? Is it strong enough? I've got a Creality CR10S Pro and have been tempted to create one for my X100V.

Top notch. Did you create the STL yourself or find it on Thingiverse etc? 100% infill? Is it strong enough? I've got a Creality CR10S Pro and have been tempted to create one for my X100V.

Oh cool! I've got an Ender 5 Pro. It's not my design no, it's one from Thingiverse (www.thingiverse.com/thing:3441504). I printed mine in PLA at 100% infill and it seems very strong. I used the ironing setting in Cura to smooth the top face in the section that fits in thr hot shoe and it came out beautifully.

I'd also recommend this battery case if you don't have one. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:852737 I've printed the 1 bay version to keep a spare battery in my bag, and also thr 3 bay version to keep my batteries in at home. It fits like a glove!

Oh cool! I've got an Ender 5 Pro. It's not my design no, it's one from Thingiverse (www.thingiverse.com/thing:3441504). I printed mine in PLA at 100% infill and it seems very strong. I used the ironing setting in Cura to smooth the top face in the section that fits in thr hot shoe and it came out beautifully.

I'd also recommend this battery case if you don't have one. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:852737 I've printed the 1 bay version to keep a spare battery in my bag, and also thr 3 bay version to keep my batteries in at home. It fits like a glove!

Why don't you give them away at no charge but charge for 'postage' ;)

I think what i need to do is use my 18mm-55mm at 18mm & 24mm to see if that would be what i want.:)

I think what i need to do is use my 18mm-55mm at 18mm & 24mm to see if that would be what i want.:)

The problem with that is the 10-24 is optically, so much better, you won't experience the performance that you get with the 10-24, all you get is so idea of the field of view. I use mine at around 12 mm a lot of the time, something you can't get on the 18-55.

If you're not sure, go to LFH and try one for a few days. http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/index

Never thought of a battery box. I'm going to sort out some prints today. There's one for the X100V on Thingiverse however I don't like the positioning of it as it covers the main dial for shutter speed and ISO. I've got fat fingers you see haha, so I wouldn't be able to use the dial. Thanks!

Why don't you give them away at no charge but charge for 'postage' ;)

I would do that. Colours would be limited to grey or black though. I've not had much use of my printer since getting it and I wanted to start doing PPE however in Scotland there's not really been a need for it plus when I got it I heard that they were no longer accepting 3D printed PPE because it needed standards tested apparently. Let me know if folks would want one. I need to do some testing of the prints first which would take a few days so you'll need to wait a week or so before I even sent them out. :)

Look back on old photos and see the focal lengths you shoot. If they're not that wide and you won't go that wide then there's no point in shelling out the cash for something you won't use. I can vouch for that lens though ;)

Just a simple Macro type Fujigraph taken in my garden of an Ant & Tiny Spider using a 105mm Macro Lens and a full set of three Extension Tubes giving a scene view of between 12-37mm with Lighting provided by a modified Ring Flash.

X-H1, 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) Lens Plus Full Set Of Three Extension Tubes, 1/180th @ F11, ISO-200, Modified Ring Flash.
Ant And Spider-03426 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.
Hi George, which extension tubes are you using please? I would need a Fuji compatible.

Its really done to what focal length you going to shoot, from 18 to 24mm doubt if you find s lot of difference between the 10-24 and the 18-55. If you want to go wider than 18mm it's a different story.
Been meaning to compare my 10-24 and 18-55 in the 18 - 24 range, I give it a go the weekend and let you know the results if your interested.

The problem with that is the 10-24 is optically, so much better, you won't experience the performance that you get with the 10-24, all you get is so idea of the field of view. I use mine at around 12 mm a lot of the time, something you can't get on the 18-55.

If you're not sure, go to LFH and try one for a few days. http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/index
Yep i know what you mean,i am just looking to see if i would miss the longer end or happy with up to 24mm

Hi George, which extension tubes are you using please? I would need a Fuji compatible.

Jak., that particular snap was shot using a full set of three “Nikon” tubes mounted onto a Nikon Ai to Fuji X adapter, all fully manual operation of course. However I do have a set of fully compatible Fuji-X tubes with the “Pixco” name on them that I purchased from fleabay a time or two back for about 10 bucks. Probably a tad more expensive now but they work perfectly with all functions and have metal mounts.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Last edited:
Jak., that particular snap was shot using a full set of three “Nikon” tubes mounted onto a Nikon Ai to Fuji X adapter, all fully manual operation of course. However I do have a set of fully compatible Fuji-X tubes with the “Pixco” name on them that I purchased from fleabay a time or two back for about 10 bucks. Probably a tad more expensive now but they work perfectly with all functions and have metal mounts.

Hope this helps.,

George.
Many thanks indeed George.

Its really done to what focal length you going to shoot, from 18 to 24mm doubt if you find s lot of difference between the 10-24 and the 18-55. If you want to go wider than 18mm it's a different story.
Been meaning to compare my 10-24 and 18-55 in the 18 - 24 range, I give it a go the weekend and let you know the results if your interested.

There's the much cheaper option of the Samyang 12mm F2 also, a very nice little lens - MF only but at such a wide angle it's a cinch to focus, being true mechanical too.

Well this is the X100V thumb grip and NP-W126S battery protector being 3D printed. So far so good. Looks solid with 100% infill (means it's not hollow inside to those who aren't aware).

I think these will work great. All being well when I test them out, then I'd be happy to print and post them to whoever wants them for the cost of postage. I'll confirm details later but I could send the thumb grip as a stamp and if you wanted a battery protector the prices would vary depending on if you wanted a single, double or triple battery protector. :)

20200625_140805.jpg

Yep i know what you mean,i am just looking to see if i would miss the longer end or happy with up to 24mm

If you are really interested in the 18-24 type range and want the best IQ then the XF16mmF1.4 and the XF23mmF1.4 have to go into the bag. I find that if I do want to shoot wider then a 2 or 3 shot vertical pano with one of these gives great results, without all that sky and massive foreground that an UWA gives you.

UWA's have their place, but I find them much more useful for cityscapes than I do landscapes, and even then you have to correct horizontals and verticals in post production!!

Last edited:
Recenfly I've been really fancying an X-H1 as a second body to the X100V. Why did I sell my X-T4 lol.

I had the X-H1 a while now, it's just the lens is new :) The simple, plastic fantastic XC35mm F2. The camera, well that's great, it's well proven itself to date. There is nothing I want outside of maybe FF out there. I've owned the other 35mm lens offerings already [the 1.4 twice] so it'll be interesting, for me at least, to see how their cheap little bro stands up to them

I had the X-H1 a while now, it's just the lens is new :) The simple, plastic fantastic XC35mm F2. The camera, well that's great, it's well proven itself to date. There is nothing I want outside of maybe FF out there. I've owned the other 35mm lens offerings already [the 1.4 twice] so it'll be interesting, for me at least, to see how their cheap little bro stands up to them
That'll be a great setup, I currently have the 35 1.4 on my H1.

Back