The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Was snapping this from the sea wall with my V - not really interested in who the people were as the sky/clouds were of more interest, when I heard a man shouting from my right further down the wall. He was shouting a woman’s name and waving his arms around whilst sprinting down the beach towards them. As he got closer, within a couple of metres of them, he turned to start pointing at me. I don’t know whether he was paranoid about someone taking photos of his kids, or perhaps of his illegal immigrant wife, or maybe he was just a lunatic.

So I turned and started walking along the wall minding my own business thinking to myself how he must be fun to live with :rolleyes:

With hindsight I should have spoken to them and showed them the pic but really couldn’t be arsed - wouldn’t mind if I had a dslr and huge lens but as you can see from the snap - you can hardly even identify the people :cautious:

Paddling
by Alan F-Stop, on Flickr

Last edited:
Was snapping this from the sea wall with my V - not really interested in who the people were as the sky/clouds were of more interest, when I heard a man shouting from my right further down the wall. He was shouting a woman’s name and waving his arms around whilst sprinting down the beach towards them. As he got closer, within a couple of metres of them, he turned to start pointing at me. I don’t know whether he was paranoid about someone taking photos of his kids, or perhaps of his illegal immigrant wife, or maybe he was just a lunatic.

So I turned and started walking along the wall minding my own business thinking to myself how he must be fun to live with :rolleyes:

With hindsight I should have spoken to them and showed them the pic but really couldn’t be arsed - wouldn’t mind if I had a dslr and huge lens but as you can see from the snap - you can hardly even identify the people :cautious:

Paddling
by Alan F-Stop, on Flickr

I've never understood why people get annoyed over someone taking pictures, I tend to react completely opposite If I note someone taking a photo of me. I'll turn and pose for them :D But then, as photographers we get it.

@bl0at3r Perhaps they were as excited about the v as you are :LOL:

I wouldn’t have minded that :ROFLMAO:

I've never understood why people get annoyed over someone taking pictures, I tend to react completely opposite If I note someone taking a photo of me. I'll turn and pose for them :D But then, as photographers we get it.

As photographers we also know I literally picked the worse possible camera to be taking pictures of random kids on a beach :rolleyes:

Hi all. It's been a little while since I've been in the Fuji camp. I'm thinking of jumping back in now that the X-T4 has IBIS.

I probably have a few questions but my biggest dilemma centres around telephoto stuff. My telephoto use is mainly landscape, the kids and in particular our dog running about. I sometimes shoot some motorsport as well. At the moment I use an Olympus 40-150 2.8 for this kind of thing and it works pretty well. The obvious Fuji lens for me to buy is the 50-140 2.8. But I'm hesitating for a couple of reasons. Firstly it's very expensive. I think I'm looking at about £800-900 used. The other reason is that although it's excellent, I wasn't totally blown away by it when I owned one a while ago. It doesn't feel like must have. The alternative that I'm considering is to buy a 55-200 and a 90mm f/2. Buying used, it looks like I could get both for not much difference money wise to the 50-140. I've owned both before and like them but I don't know how well the 55-200 would cope with a high speed dog. I like the idea of the weight saving of carrying that around for landscapes. The 90mm is excellent but maybe a little limited for me.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Hi all. It's been a little while since I've been in the Fuji camp. I'm thinking of jumping back in now that the X-T4 has IBIS.

I probably have a few questions but my biggest dilemma centres around telephoto stuff. My telephoto use is mainly landscape, the kids and in particular our dog running about. I sometimes shoot some motorsport as well. At the moment I use an Olympus 40-150 2.8 for this kind of thing and it works pretty well. The obvious Fuji lens for me to buy is the 50-140 2.8. But I'm hesitating for a couple of reasons. Firstly it's very expensive. I think I'm looking at about £800-900 used. The other reason is that although it's excellent, I wasn't totally blown away by it when I owned one a while ago. It doesn't feel like must have. The alternative that I'm considering is to buy a 55-200 and a 90mm f/2. Buying used, it looks like I could get both for not much difference money wise to the 50-140. I've owned both before and like them but I don't know how well the 55-200 would cope with a high speed dog. I like the idea of the weight saving of carrying that around for landscapes. The 90mm is excellent but maybe a little limited for me.

You'll definitely get good photos with the 55-200 which probably aren't that far off the 50-140 but in terms of speed and chasing fast dogs you'll probably be looking at the 50-140 as the 200 probaly isn't fast enough. Can you use the 90mm for the dog? I've never shot with it before so don't know much about it but could be the compromise in your situation. I have owned the 55-200 and 50-140 and have two dogs myself so I've used them both in this area.

Last edited:

The 50-140 is better than any of my 70-200 L Canon lenses (I jumped ship before the very latest versions) and I think it's a great lens. Also works quite well with video too. The 90 f2 will focus quite fast, and it's another belter, and although I love it, I find I use it rarely (actually it's now finding more use with tubes for macro).

Never used the 55-200, but my son has one and he loves it.

Edit: There's a used 50-140 in the classifieds for £800...

Last edited:
Loving my 50-140.:)

is there a current voucher code for the refurb shop. used to be the paypal one but that wont work anymore :(

Hadley Pro small has landed. This is for longer days out with the V.

The V, both converters, container of bits like sd cards, drink, filters in the main compartment. Batteries, charger and cables in front left pocket. Right pocket empty for apple etc. Rear zipper has power bank. A bit of room under the V.

All kitted out for now.

IMG_20200623_143747.jpgIMG_20200623_143805.jpg

Thanks all for the input. Maybe leaning toward the 50-140. I have a 75mm 1.8 for my Olmpus and I love that lens but it doesn't get an awful lot of use. I suspect the 90mm would end up in the same boat. 50-140 (like any 70-200) never really excites me but I do appreciate they all do the job with no real vices other than £'s and bulk.

Maybe thinking along the lines of:

12mm Samyang (astro and any ultrawide landscape stuff)
16-55 2.8 - Lots of stuff
50-150 - Lots of stuff
23mm 1.4 - Because I love '35mm' and this would be great in low light and out and about

At a later date when funds allow I'd look at the 18-135mm for mountaineering trips.

Seems like that would cover most of my needs but at considerable cost!

Anybody had a chance to shoot any action with the X-T4 yet? My E-M5iii does an okay job keeping up with my dog but when he's running directly at the camera it has a tendency to back focus as if it's just a fraction of a second behind the action.

@gad-westy

I got the 55-200mm when I bought the X-T1 and 18-55mm kit lens way back when and have to admit that it is a cracking lens and one which, with the 18-55mm, covered almost everything I needed. But one of my friends bought a 50-140mm and lent it me together with a 1.4X converter and though I could find very little twixt them in IQ, the difference in poor light was staggering.

I found this review by Andy Mumford to be very useful as I tried to justify a 50-140mm:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaQtTKRRphI

and found myself agreeing with almost everything he said.....but then went ahead and bought the 50-140mm and the teleconverter. Its lovely, no regrets whatsoever and I do appreciate its WR and focus speed which is much faster.

The 90mm is (IMHO) probably the best lens I have ever owned and as you mention the much maligned 18-135mm, I find it to be a cracking lens with a really useful focal length range.

Thanks all for the input. Maybe leaning toward the 50-140. I have a 75mm 1.8 for my Olmpus and I love that lens but it doesn't get an awful lot of use. I suspect the 90mm would end up in the same boat. 50-140 (like any 70-200) never really excites me but I do appreciate they all do the job with no real vices other than £'s and bulk.

Maybe thinking along the lines of:

12mm Samyang (astro and any ultrawide landscape stuff)
16-55 2.8 - Lots of stuff
50-150 - Lots of stuff
23mm 1.4 - Because I love '35mm' and this would be great in low light and out and about

At a later date when funds allow I'd look at the 18-135mm for mountaineering trips.

Seems like that would cover most of my needs but at considerable cost!

Anybody had a chance to shoot any action with the X-T4 yet? My E-M5iii does an okay job keeping up with my dog but when he's running directly at the camera it has a tendency to back focus as if it's just a fraction of a second behind the action.

You could pas on the 18-135 and just take the 23mm and 50-140 for mountaineering trips, you can always shoot a pano with the 23mm, for that extra width, that said the Samyang 12mm is light, so could easily slip in the bag.

@gad-westy

I got the 55-200mm when I bought the X-T1 and 18-55mm kit lens way back when and have to admit that it is a cracking lens and one which, with the 18-55mm, covered almost everything I needed. But one of my friends bought a 50-140mm and lent it me together with a 1.4X converter and though I could find very little twixt them in IQ, the difference in poor light was staggering.

I found this review by Andy Mumford to be very useful as I tried to justify a 50-140mm:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaQtTKRRphI

and found myself agreeing with almost everything he said.....but then went ahead and bought the 50-140mm and the teleconverter. Its lovely, no regrets whatsoever and I do appreciate its WR and focus speed which is much faster.

The 90mm is (IMHO) probably the best lens I have ever owned and as you mention the much maligned 18-135mm, I find it to be a cracking lens with a really useful focal length range.

Many thanks. I like Andy's videos. I'll have a watch later.

The 90mm, I know would be superb. I just worry that it won't really see enough use to warrant owning. Maybe that's one to buy as a luxury when feeling flush sometime in the future.

Regarding the 18-135mm. I currently use a 14-150 on my Olympus for when I'm travelling light in the hills. IQ is of course compromised but it's a lightweight weatherproof set up with a huge range. It's basically up against the option of just carrying a phone. Carrying a bag full of lenses is never going to happen unless it's a dedicated photography trip. And even if I did that, I'd never have the right lens fitted when I want it and wouldn't bother stopping to change. So these superzooms make a lot of sense to me but the Fuji 18-135 is quite a large lens so I need to think carefully about it.

You could pas on the 18-135 and just take the 23mm and 50-140 for mountaineering trips, you can always shoot a pano with the 23mm, for that extra width, that said the Samyang 12mm is light, so could easily slip in the bag.

I just don't carry that sort of weight in camera gear up hills anymore unless I'm going specifically to take photos and I hate changing lenses while hiking. It would do for a the short term option but wouldn't be sustainable.

My F has arrived, my first purchase from refurb store, absolutely over the moon, I'd heard through this forum about how good condition refurb were but I'm blown away, i can't believe it's ever been used!
Now to find a screen protector

Last edited:
A Snap from @Fuji Dave land.
Just a simple tourist type Landscape/Seascape Fujigraph taken at Brighton Sussex UK of the Brighton/Palace Pier. Thought I'd mess about with the PP a bit with this one to give it a higher contrast gritty effect.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/1250th @ F8, ISO-320, Handheld.
Palace/Brighton Pier-03429 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Last edited:
Right, finally after weeks of procrastination I have bought a refurb X100F. Now what do I need to add to it, any recommendations for hood, filter and strap? Many thanks, Si

Thinking of selling my 18mm-55mm & buying a 10mm-24mm,any thoughts recommendations?

Thinking of selling my 18mm-55mm & buying a 10mm-24mm,any thoughts recommendations?

The 10-24 is a lovely lens, its best at the 10-18 ish range. Its weakest part is at the long end although its no slouch at those focal lengths. Its going to depend on what focal length you favour? I know its more money but if you went with the 10-24 you could always add the 35mm XC if you would miss that length.

Cheers for that i don,t think i would miss the longer end,all these decisions.:)

Just ordered the XC35 myself today, was going to get another copy of the XF but, I just know me, I'll probably flip it on as usual in a month or so. The XC is identical optically going on the reviews I've seen, and I don't really worry about WR and barely ever use an aperture ring. It's not really any more hassle to just turn a dial. Just wanted something basic for general shooting, using adapted lenses otherwise for fun

Yep i have the XC 50-230,no difference in quality to the XF

Yep i have the XC 50-230,no difference in quality to the XF

I had both the 50-230 and the 55-200 and the main difference I found [besides build] was the darker aperture on the 230. The 55-200 is possibly a little sharper but if you mostly shoot in decent light very little in it. With the new XC35 though the optics are identical to the XF, the saving is all on the build from what I gather - which is fine by me, I also got free delivery on it for my first purchase on the site [Bermingham photos Ireland]

I need to do a lot of research on the 10-24 i think.

I think the 10-24 is probably the best all rounder I have. You’ll not be disappointed.

Yep i am thinking that is a strong possibility,i see them on the refurb for i think £879

Last edited:
Yep it looks good,just need to sell mine & get one at a good price.:)

X100V then!!!!

Exactamundo

My F has arrived, my first purchase from refurb store, absolutely over the moon, I'd heard through this forum about how good condition refurb were but I'm blown away, i can't believe it's ever been used!
Now to find a screen protector

I suspect, although have no evidence, a lot of them might be open box returns etc hence no visual usage externally.

Back