The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

That'll be a great setup, I currently have the 35 1.4 on my H1.

I bought a brand new 1.4 not long back, had been wanting one since my return from M43 to Fuji. Used to have one on the Xt1/pro1 and loved it. Unfortunately my old laptop was dying at the time and I had to sell the lens on to help fund a new PC. Managed to get what i paid for it at least as I bought it from einfinity and it's about the same new on there as used locally here. Really frustrated me having to do that, but ... I do have a killer PC :D

I had the F2 for a little while last year too, but sold that on pretty soon after because I got the 50 F2, [also had the 16mm at the time]. Kinda regretted selling that one too, as I found the 50mm an awkward length for me [on APSC] - neither wide nor long enough. If I shot gigs, like Dave on here does, and shot a lot more street, it'd be perfect but for my use not so much. I could have gotten another used XF35 but this XC version [supposedly the same internally] intrigued me. I like the minimilaist look, it blends in with the body more so than the XF which to me looked a bit odd on the H1. The XC reminds me directly of the Panasonic 25 1.7, also a plastic lens, pretty much looks very similar, and I loved that lens. Worst case, I end up selling it all at a tiny loss and I'll have gotten to try out all the 35mm available for Fuji [there is a Viltrox too but it's 33mm]

For anyone interested in the XC35, I can say it behaves identical to the XF version, and a couple quick testers tell me it's optically the same too. The differences are all in the build, no WR, no aperture ring and plastic mount - and none of these bother me. I'm much less likely to be out shooting in a downpour, and with primes I'm only ever really flicking between wide open to F4 or so, I just set the aperture to the front dial and good to go :)

Last edited:
If you are really interested in the 18-24 type range and want the best IQ then the XF16mmF1.4 and the XF23mmF1.4 have to go into the bag. I find that if I do want to shoot wider then a 2 or 3 shot vertical pano with one of these gives great results, without all that sky and massive foreground that an UWA gives you.

UWA's have their place, but I find them much more useful for cityscapes than I do landscapes, and even then you have to correct horizontals and verticals in post production!!

The 16mm f1.4 is the only lens I regretted selling, trouble the more people mention it and the more I think about makes me wan to sip it out for the 10-24.

The only thing I disliked about the 16 1.4 is the focus speed, at least the copy I had could be a little sluggish in a pinch. Not one for quick fire candids for example, in dim lighting, I discovered this when I was shooting some Christmas parties. But, given that little more time to compose it is a very hard lens to beat, loved it. I regret selling it too, as I cannot afford one for a while yet. But some day we'll meet again

I really regret letting my 16 f1.4 go. I swapped it for my 90 f2 with Nick (NickTB) and as much as I love the 90, I would get more use out of the 16. That said, I'm not moving the 90 on, it's just too good.

I tend to use the 10-24 at around 12-14mm, or 24mm. Many of my vertical pano's are made on this at 24mm.

Oh, and David, I LOVE big skies!!

Oh, and David, I LOVE big skies!!

I'd noticed :D

That said most of your 12mm shots could easily have been a vertical 16mm pano (2-3 shots)

I have days thinking I should just sell of the ILC stuff (I've been taking out the X100F a lot recently) and buy a GFX50R/S+45mm but could I really part with the 16mmF1.4, 32mm Zeiss and 90mm

For anyone thinking of charging an xt4 + grip via the usb c cable and a power bank:

Fuji recommend the Anker PowerCore+26800 PD, which is about £90 but it's usb c ready(on offer at Amazon with £10 off)
I've tried my ravpower 26800mah 5.5apower bank(£28) with a usb a to c adapter(£5) and it charges the grip and body batteries with no issues at all. It also acts as a power supply when the camera is on. The X100v already has a usb a and c cable so I may try that on the xt4 later too.

The £90 option may charge the batteries faster but this option in acceptable if you take your camera camping/hiking and need a charge in the wild of Scotland or Wales.

That said most of your 12mm shots could easily have been a vertical 16mm pano (2-3 shots)

I have days thinking I should just sell of the ILC stuff (I've been taking out the X100F a lot recently) and buy a GFX50R/S+45mm but could I really part with the 16mmF1.4, 32mm Zeiss and 90mm

Ah, but those 14mm shots are generally made up of 5 blended exposures. So I would have to deal with 10-15 files and not just 5. My 6 year MacBook may well have a heart attack if I tried that :LOL:

Always liked the perspective of a wide shot done as a pano, for the majority of wide stuff to me it looks better

Always liked the perspective of a wide shot done as a pano, for the majority of wide stuff to me it looks better

Yes but the compression of the longer focal length can equally make the image different/better, thats what's cool about the GSW690III, its a 65mm lens (giving the compression of 65mm) but a wide angle field of view equal to 28mm FF

The files are 'big' though!! I did several 9 bracketed shots when I had one on loan, nice to have extra tea-breaks!!! And one 5 shot pano which resulted in a 130Mpx Image, that took some processing time!

Thing is, I really feel at home doing these pseudo HDR shots for landscape. The output of the stuff I've done recently makes me smile, and isn't that why we do this?

A Snap from @Fuji Dave land.
Just a simple tourist type Landscape/Seascape Fujigraph taken at Brighton Sussex UK of the Brighton/Palace Pier. Thought I'd mess about with the PP a bit with this one to give it a higher contrast gritty effect.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/1250th @ F8, ISO-320, Handheld.
Palace/Brighton Pier-03429 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Really liking the editing on this George. (y)

Graham, in landscape format at 12mm angle of field of view is 88.5 degrees wide by 66 degrees high, in a vertical portrait format you only need an 18mm lens to match that 66 degrees, so a 16mm lens used in a pano will actually give you a wider field if view!!!!

Yes the perspective will be slightly different as a 16/18mm lens will have more compression (not a lot though!!)

Graham, in landscape format at 12mm angle of field of view is 88.5 degrees wide by 66 degrees high, in a vertical portrait format you only need an 18mm lens to match that 66 degrees, so a 16mm lens used in a pano will actually give you a wider field if view!!!!

Yes the perspective will be slightly different as a 16/18mm lens will have more compression (not a lot though!!)

Thats a lot less than I thought to be honest and as you mentioned that extra compression is a benefit in a lot of UWA images. Plus the fact I still have the Samyang 12mm (not a great lover of the lens but its handy for any astro I do) for when I do that want that different compression. Bloody GAS although I have been good I've talked myself out of the X-T4 and probably go for a H1.

Thats a lot less than I thought to be honest and as you mentioned that extra compression is a benefit in a lot of UWA images. Plus the fact I still have the Samyang 12mm (not a great lover of the lens but its handy for any astro I do) for when I do that want that different compression. Bloody GAS although I have been good I've talked myself out of the X-T4 and probably go for a H1.

It’s made me think about binning the Samyang for the 2nd time!!! X-H1 is lovely (and a relative bargain at the moment)

Personally I think a Canon Pro-1000 cures most GAS, but it’s not cheap to keep fed !!!

Hmm, a couple looking to off the Samy 12mm ... how cheap we talkin'? :D I like that lens, but I don't tend to shoot very wide, very often. I had it on M43 where it was tighter

So who using ND grads these days for landscapes?

I use them if I'm doing a pano, as I don't want to stitch together 5 vertical frames, each of 5 exposures. So I'll bring out the ND grads. The big stopper & filter holder are always in the bag, never know when you are going to find a bit of running water....

very occasionally, also have a reverse grad, good for seascape sunsets
I use them if I'm doing a pano, as I don't want to stitch together 5 vertical frames, each of 5 exposures. So I'll bring out the ND grads. The big stopper & filter holder are always in the bag, never know when you are going to find a bit of running water....

That what I was thinking, what make are you using Steve?

FujiFilm UK have the X70 silver and black lens hoods back in stock at £19.99 each.

https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/offers

These fit the X-100 series perfectly, allow a filter to be fitted and look the dogs wotsits. The silver one matches my 100V exactly and a cheapo 49mm lens cap fits the outer screw thread.
Does this screw onto the camera like a filter or fit on to the adapter?

any vignetting or completely clear?

Last edited:
Right, just been taking at look at this hood.

Is it an adapter ring that screws on that you can fit a filter to. Then screw the hood on to?
I need the weather sealing and also don't want the filter to hit the lens as it turns on and off and adjusts focus.

Currently using a jjc hood but don't like it. My fuji weather kit looks to be weeks away yet!

Do they fit the F?
yes, just seen a pic with it fitted to the F

I've bought one for the V. There's a review on youtube showing that it's split as a screw on adapter that takes a filter then you can screw the hood on. Got a 49mm cap but hoping the original V cap fits.

I've got 5% off voucher if anyone wants to try it.

Message me because I don't know how many uses it has.

block the ovf?

You do see the hood in the bottom right of the OVF but it is minimal and it is mostly covered by the mini EVF. It is not as obtrusive as either of the JJC hoods or the original X100 Fuji hood.

The adapter ring screws on, a 49mm filter screws onto the adapter inner thread and the hood screws on to the adapter outer thread. It is a superb bit of kit and looks lovely on my silver X100V and the black one would be the same.

It fits all X100 bodies.

Back