The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I like the spinning disc. But I’d like the centre still. Waddya think ?

Thanks, Trevor. I do have a couple of shots like that, with and without tone arm. It was hard to choose between them tbh. Next CC comp is "Movement" so kinda went with this version, but hand in isn`t until Thursday ;)

Love this capture..! What's your vinyl spinner..?

I've an elderly Dual 504 which I use often, around 650 albums.

Cheers
mac

Thanks, Peter (y)

It`s a Pro-Ject Essential 3A in red . Bit of a pig to set up, but sounds nice (to me) :)

Got one here, with no lens to stick on lol ... been eying up a few possibles though, what were you using on it? Bought mine for the Laowa 100mm macro and intended to add some cheap 'n cheerful vintage lenses to make use of it but never got round.
The last Nikon fit lens I had was a Sigma 300 f2.8 . I've just sent it to MPB in exchange for a Fuji 100-400. :)

You have to be quite careful with Sandisk and their designations.

I would be inclined to go with their Extreme V30/A2/UHS3 rather than Ultra if using video.
Agreed. I've found the Extreme Pro range produces much closer to its rated transfer speed than the Ultras.
@ShinySideUp - don't waste your money on UHS II cards as your camera is only UHS I.

The last Nikon fit lens I had was a Sigma 300 f2.8 . I've just sent it to MPB in exchange for a Fuji 100-400. :)

Nice, would love either of those! The 300 is a hefty bugger I'd imagine? The 100-400 looks great too, not as bright and maybe not as sharp as the prime but much more flexible

Agreed. I've found the Extreme Pro range produces much closer to its rated transfer speed than the Ultras.
@ShinySideUp - don't waste your money on UHS II cards as your camera is only UHS I.

That's lucky then, I ordered 3 x 32GB Sandisk Ultra 120MB/s UHS1's yesterday and they are out for delivery today. Eighteen quid for enough memory to power the world in 1969! How things have changed.

I have heard that the X100V can be used as a webcam using X Webcam software. Tried it, didn't work, and now I see that the help file for X Webcam doesn't show the X100V as a compatible device. Can it or can't it be used as a webcam? I'm new to webcams outside of laptops and all this video stuff is doing my head in (I'm doing other video stuff too, not just webcams).

Has anybody managed to connect their Fujifilm camera with Fujifilm X Webcam on the M1 Mac or another Big Sur based Mac?

I have heard that the X100V can be used as a webcam using X Webcam software. Tried it, didn't work, and now I see that the help file for X Webcam doesn't show the X100V as a compatible device. Can it or can't it be used as a webcam? I'm new to webcams outside of laptops and all this video stuff is doing my head in (I'm doing other video stuff too, not just webcams).

I think on the 17th you'll get that option.

Whoops. I had a bit of a fall today. I tripped, fell and my hand hit my computer and accidently ordered an X-S10 from Fuji refurb.....

Lets just hope I get to the front door before the Wife :oops: :$:D
Get well soon...whether it be from the injuries suffered in the fall, or the subsequent damage to your body in the event of the wife getting to the door before you!:ROFLMAO:

Whoops. I had a bit of a fall today. I tripped, fell and my hand hit my computer and accidently ordered an X-S10 from Fuji refurb.....

You're gonna love it. Nice one.

Sh*t happens... I feel your pain!

I was washing up after lunch, when the dog came running through the kitchen, took the corner badly, skidded on some spilled water on the laminate flooring and went careering into my legs. Down I went, dropping the plate I had in my hand, and pulling the laptop from the kitchen worktop behind me as I reached out to steady myself. That's pretty much all I remember, I must have blacked out, waking up a few moments later with the laptop on my face. Imagine my surprise when I realised that in all the kerfuffle my nose must have pressed the pre-order button on the XF70-300 page on Wex's website. Would you believe it?

I still don't know who's dog it was.... I don't have one, I know that much!:oops: :$

You're gonna love it. Nice one.

The thing is I've got a X-T4 and X100V but if I like this enough for the ergonomics then I might punt both of those and keep the X-S10.

Do you have one? If so then how is the EVF? I've seen on a couple reviews that it's not up there with the X-T4 but that doesn't bother me too much so long as I can see through it haha. I had an X-Pro 1 and found my eyes struggled to see the full view without pressing my eye up to the camera fully and my eyelashes poking me making it difficult to use.

The thing is I've got a X-T4 and X100V but if I like this enough for the ergonomics then I might punt both of those and keep the X-S10.

Do you have one? If so then how is the EVF? I've seen on a couple reviews that it's not up there with the X-T4 but that doesn't bother me too much so long as I can see through it haha. I had an X-Pro 1 and found my eyes struggled to see the full view without pressing my eye up to the camera fully and my eyelashes poking me making it difficult to use.

Mine arrived today. I’ll keep you posted.

Hello the Fuji world! I am currently in the process of exchanging my Olympus gear for a Fuji XT4 and the 16-80 lens, I would like to complement that lens with a zoom (trying to keep to 2 lenses at the moment - ha ha :LOL::LOL: )and am wondering about the 55 - 200 f3.4 - 4.8, can anyone advise whether this is a good lens to get, or are there better out there? Im not really looking at the 'pro' grade lenses (at the moment!) in order to keep weight down, and to be honest, although I had some amazing Olympus lenses, I rarely used them at their 2.8 stops!! I tend to take mostly landscapes/urbanscapes/seascapes. Thanks

Hello the Fuji world! I am currently in the process of exchanging my Olympus gear for a Fuji XT4 and the 16-80 lens, I would like to complement that lens with a zoom (trying to keep to 2 lenses at the moment - ha ha :LOL::LOL: )and am wondering about the 55 - 200 f3.4 - 4.8, can anyone advise whether this is a good lens to get, or are there better out there? Im not really looking at the 'pro' grade lenses (at the moment!) in order to keep weight down, and to be honest, although I had some amazing Olympus lenses, I rarely used them at their 2.8 stops!! I tend to take mostly landscapes/urbanscapes/seascapes. Thanks

You've essentially got 4 choices

XC50-230 - optically great, lightweight, but plastic construction, doesn't feel substantial but images are good - s/h from £100 upwards

XF55-200 - built like a tank, optically great, a useful piece of glass, bokeh can be a bit busy at times - s/h £360 upwards

XF50-140 - again superbly made, optically very very good, not light - weathersealed - can be used with teleconverters - s/h from £850

XF70-300 - its new and shiny and no-one has one yet! Looks excellent, has weathersealing, £729 on pre-order

I've had the first 3, in that order, still have the 50-140 - that said I changed because of some project/work requirements, and if just shooting generally would be happy with the 55-200

Does anyone have the 15-45 XC lens? With my X-S10 I was able to get one for £50 so I thought it was worth the pun considering the fact they sell for much more out in the wild. Is it a good lens say in comparisson to the 18-55? From what I've read it's a sharp lens but on some of the images I've seen they look soft so I'm just wondering if that was more the user as opposed to the lens/camera combo.

Also if anyone has any links to their Flickr or something with their images of it then that would be cool to see :)

The 55-200 is a reasonable compromise IMO.

I suspect quite a few people look at the 50-230 and the 50-140 and figure that the 55-200 is the one in the middle. It's not small or lightweight - but it's not ridiculous either.

You can sometimes get the 50-230 really cheap - so it may be worth considering just to see how you get on with it. I did consider going with the 50-230 as a general carry-about lens and go for a 50-140 for when happy enough to haul the weight. But I figured the 55-200 was the one to go for as it sits in that middle compromise spot.

The 55-200 is a reasonable compromise IMO.

I suspect quite a few people look at the 50-230 and the 50-140 and figure that the 55-200 is the one in the middle. It's not small or lightweight - but it's not ridiculous either.

You can sometimes get the 50-230 really cheap - so it may be worth considering just to see how you get on with it. I did consider going with the 50-230 as a general carry-about lens and go for a 50-140 for when happy enough to haul the weight. But I figured the 55-200 was the one to go for as it sits in that middle compromise spot.

That really helpful, thanks Andrew, I must admit it does seem to be the one that fits the bill

Does anyone have the 15-45 XC lens? With my X-S10 I was able to get one for £50 so I thought it was worth the pun considering the fact they sell for much more out in the wild. Is it a good lens say in comparisson to the 18-55? From what I've read it's a sharp lens but on some of the images I've seen they look soft so I'm just wondering if that was more the user as opposed to the lens/camera combo.

Opinions on the 18-55 vary a bit. Some love it - some are indifferent to it.

I got a 15-45 with my X-T30 and tried it. Just hated the power zoom from the get-go and replaced it with the 18-55. I didn't think the 15-45 is bad for what it is - I just don't like using it. (I kept 15-45 though - as it's really light weight so can be packed with primes for travel 'just in case').

I thought the 15-45 was optically OK for the few times I have used it - it will have been stopped down a bit though. But in terms of handling and feel I just prefer the 18-55.

You've essentially got 4 choices

XC50-230 - optically great, lightweight, but plastic construction, doesn't feel substantial but images are good - s/h from £100 upwards

XF55-200 - built like a tank, optically great, a useful piece of glass, bokeh can be a bit busy at times - s/h £360 upwards

XF50-140 - again superbly made, optically very very good, not light - weathersealed - can be used with teleconverters - s/h from £850

XF70-300 - its new and shiny and no-one has one yet! Looks excellent, has weathersealing, £729 on pre-order

I've had the first 3, in that order, still have the 50-140 - that said I changed because of some project/work requirements, and if just shooting generally would be happy with the 55-200

Thanks for the feedback David, I must admit the weather sealing on the 70 -300 is quite tempting, at the moment, I am weighing up between the 55 - 200 or waiting for the new 70 - 300, though the 50 - 140 sounds excellent, but as I'm trying to keep the weight down I might pass on that one.

Thanks for the feedback David, I must admit the weather sealing on the 70 -300 is quite tempting, at the moment, e.

That's a good point about the 70-300. It also looks like there isn't a substantial weight or size penalty over the 55-200.

I switched from Oly to Fuji last year. I'm sure you won't regret it.
I have the 55 - 200 and find it a really nice piece of kit. Although it is not my most used lens. I tend to use the 18-55 for landscape stuff and the 100-400 for wildlife.

Opinions on the 18-55 vary a bit. Some love it - some are indifferent to it.

I got a 15-45 with my X-T30 and tried it. Just hated the power zoom from the get-go and replaced it with the 18-55. I didn't think the 15-45 is bad for what it is - I just don't like using it. (I kept 15-45 though - as it's really light weight so can be packed with primes for travel 'just in case').

I thought the 15-45 was optically OK for the few times I have used it - it will have been stopped down a bit though. But in terms of handling and feel I just prefer the 18-55.

I didn't realise it was a power zoom. I thought it was a bargain price for the lens (£50) so only picked it up because it was so cheap combined with the camera. I'll see how it goes but if it's not that great I'll just sell it on and keep using the 18-55 instead. Or like you said, keep it for extra lightweight kit since I will be treking up hills if the lockdown ever gets lift. Cheers!

I didn't realise it was a power zoom. I thought it was a bargain price for the lens (£50) so only picked it up because it was so cheap combined with the camera. I'll see how it goes but if it's not that great I'll just sell it on and keep using the 18-55 instead. Or like you said, keep it for extra lightweight kit since I will be treking up hills if the lockdown ever gets lift. Cheers!

Try it - for £50 it's a bargain.

I keep mine as a spare. The 18-55 is heavier and larger. So if travelling with a body and two primes I can find a place to tuck it in.

I don't think Fuji really make any bad lenses. Just good ones and better ones.

If you do feel like changing from 15-45 then there is also the 16-80 - which was overhyped prior to release - caused some disappontment - and then after that bounce seems to have settled as a reasonable option. Thing is - if you get on OK with the 15-45 then you got a bargain - and it means anything you might have spent on an alternative small zoom can be allocated towards something else.

Thing is with the XS-10 you get the benefit of IBIS with the Fuji primes if you wanted to consider that route.

Try it - for £50 it's a bargain.

I keep mine as a spare. The 18-55 is heavier and larger. So if travelling with a body and two primes I can find a place to tuck it in.

I don't think Fuji really make any bad lenses. Just good ones and better ones.

If you do feel like changing from 15-45 then there is also the 16-80 - which was overhyped prior to release - caused some disappontment - and then after that bounce seems to have settled as a reasonable option. Thing is - if you get on OK with the 15-45 then you got a bargain - and it means anything you might have spent on an alternative small zoom can be allocated towards something else.

Thing is with the XS-10 you get the benefit of IBIS with the Fuji primes if you wanted to consider that route.

It is indeed. I was quite surprised when I'd seen it was £750 for the X-S10 or £799.99 for the X-S10 + 15-45 on Fuji Refurbs. It sounds like it'll be a good little lens to keep a hold of so I probably will even if it is a little soft liek I've seen in the pictures.

I've got most of the focal lengths covered so the 16-80 isn't something I'd be looking for but thanks for the info. In fact I might be interested in the new 300 zoom but I'll see if the Wife will allow that purchase despite having my own bank account :D

I bought a 15-45 for it's close focus abilities as I was working on some stop motion animation for a music video, and couldn't justify the expense of a proper macro.

It's never going to set the world on fire, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's sharp enough for my purposes, and wider than anything that doesn't cost the best part of a grand. I hardly use it, but can't seem to bring myself to get rid of it. If I'm out with the kids, it makes for a coat/hoody pocket sized solution that offers a bit more flexibility than the 27mm.

The only thing that stops me from grabbing a 15-45 is that irritating 'zoom to wake' functionality, I know it would just end up doing my head in. I've seen some nice images produced using that lens, and it is ideal as a casual, have everywhere option - I don't tend to like zooms in general, had the 16-55 and didn't exactly love it - just too big and bulky for casual use. I have thought on the 18-55 but I much prefer a simple prime as a main, atm I'm just using the humble little XC35 and have to say, for the money it's excellent - every bit as good as the twice-the-price XF version [owned that for a while too] - something like the 15-45 would compliment it nicely for WA shots that i rarely shoot. But why that 'wake up' feature? :confused:

I've never even noticed it to be honest, but then I tend to just turn the camera off and on anyway.

I've never even noticed it to be honest, but then I tend to just turn the camera off and on anyway.

Don't you have to twist/slightly zoom the lens before it 'wakes' even when you switch the camera on? or at least that's how I remember it going when I saw reviews on it, that was a long while back though in fairness.

Don't you have to twist/slightly zoom the lens before it 'wakes' even when you switch the camera on? or at least that's how I remember it going when I saw reviews on it, that was a long while back though in fairness.
Gimme a minute.....

Gimme a minute.....

I've just looked at a review quickly, I might be confusing it with the similar Panasonic collapsable zoom, I think that one had to be 'woke up' - but I see what put me off the Fuji, it's that electro-zoom, not a fan. But, I imagine I'd mostly use this lens at it's widest

No. No you don't.

Turn the camera on, lens extends, shoot!
Turn the camera off, lens retracts.

That's why I've not noticed, it falls outside my usual behaviour.

No. No you don't.

Turn the camera on, lens extends, shoot!
Turn the camera off, lens retracts.

That's why I've not noticed, it falls outside my usual behaviour.

On the review I checked he [Christopher Frost] said that it remembers where you were last at? Say you last used it at 24mm, it'll go back there? that's neat. My only excuse then is the digi zoom, reminds me of old camcorders. It also has heavy distortion at 15mm but that's easy enough correct in post, I edit all of my images anyway

Last edited:
I didn't check that, I've just joined a meeting, but I'll take a look later.
I wouldn't choose the auto zoom thing, but for size, weight, width and cost, i can't find much to grumble about.

Back