The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Such a great day today, I'm on holiday (but staying home) -
@Jelster I finally made it to Fiddleford today, was beautiful (photos were ok but enjoyed anyway)
Got through an email to say the 70-300 is in stock so ordered
Took the other half's project out for the first time since getting it's MOT - converted from a XJ600N in a bad state to a scrambler, and I tried out a little bit of panning - X-T3 + 16-80
Social Media-8283.jpg
Social Media-8340.jpg
Social Media-8350.jpg

Glad you made it down there Donna. We went in the autumn and were being bombed by conkers! :ROFLMAO:

If I remember, the XJ600 was a bit of a "boring commuter" type bike, but that one looks mint!

Glad you made it down there Donna. We went in the autumn and were being bombed by conkers! :ROFLMAO:

If I remember, the XJ600 was a bit of a "boring commuter" type bike, but that one looks mint!
There were some great dragonflies (and I was pleased with one shot finally)
Yes, I can't say I was happy when he first got the bike home :eek:, but it was fun us both riding it tonight - even though I haven't ridden a bike for 3 years so was a little rusty.

I've been after this image for a while.

As you drive north on the coast road -the A92 - in Aberdeenshire between Johnshaven and Gourdon you pass this lovely line of trees that border a road leading up to a farm.

May 2018 was the last time I was here when the rapeseed was in bloom and I was all set to take this picture, but alas some tourists decided to stop and park on the road between the trees.........followed by another carload, and another.

I waited and waited and eventually gave up.

This time, I succeeded.

Fuji X-Pro2 and XF 55-200mm
Benholm - Early Summer by Aimless Alliterations, on Flickr

I've been after this image for a while.

As you drive north on the coast road -the A92 - in Aberdeenshire between Johnshaven and Gourdon you pass this lovely line of trees that border a road leading up to a farm.

May 2018 was the last time I was here when the rapeseed was in bloom and I was all set to take this picture, but alas some tourists decided to stop and park on the road between the trees.........followed by another carload, and another.

I waited and waited and eventually gave up.

This time, I succeeded.

Fuji X-Pro2 and XF 55-200mm
Benholm - Early Summer by Aimless Alliterations, on Flickr

Well done. I appreciate your patience.

Bad day today. I went to Blandford with the Mrs, and while she was shopping I took a walk along the Stour. I was lining up a shot and my right wrist & hand gave way, and the T3 with 10-24 dropped into the river..... :banghead: :banghead:. I've had a problem with my right hand/wrist for a while and have been ignoring it, but I think today may have been costly :facepalm:

It was in the water for about a second, luckily, it was turned off, and I took the battery out straight away. The battery compartment seems dry, and the cards are OK. I'm going to leave it overnight and try it in the morning. I'm off to Chester zoo next week so I hope it's OK.....

Anyway, here's one that I shop before I dropped it (with the 100-400 on)......

Black Headed Gull by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Last edited:
Bad day today. I went to Blandford with the Mrs, and while she was shopping I took a walk along the Stour. I was lining up a shot and my right wrist & hand gave way, and the T3 with 10-24 dropped into the river..... :banghead: :banghead:. I've had a problem with my right hand/wrist for a while and have ignoring it, but I think today may have been costly :facepalm:

It was in the water for about a second, luckily, it was turned off, and I took the battery out straight away. The battery compartment seems dry, and the cards are OK. I'm going to leave it overnight and try it in the morning. I'm off to Chester zoo next week so I hope it's OK.....

Bloody Hell Steve. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.

Bad day today. I went to Blandford with the Mrs, and while she was shopping I took a walk along the Stour. I was lining up a shot and my right wrist & hand gave way, and the T3 with 10-24 dropped into the river..... :banghead: :banghead:. I've had a problem with my right hand/wrist for a while and have been ignoring it, but I think today may have been costly :facepalm:

Oh no, really hope all will be ok (and your wrist)!

Steve, bad luck, there are people on teh Fuji-X forum who have immersed their cameras (sometimes in salt water :eek: ), most of the time they seem to dry out. The airing cupboard in a bag of rice or with some silica gel seems to be a favourite. Lenses seem to survive unless they take on water in which case its back to Fujifilm for an overhaul. Hope it works out for you and take care of your wrist.

Steve, bad luck, there are people on teh Fuji-X forum who have immersed their cameras (sometimes in salt water :eek: ), most of the time they seem to dry out. The airing cupboard in a bag of rice or with some silica gel seems to be a favourite. Lenses seem to survive unless they take on water in which case its back to Fujifilm for an overhaul. Hope it works out for you and take care of your wrist.

Well good news. It looks like the L bracket took most of the impact, and I've put the battery in and everything seems to work OK. No misting in the lens either, so that "weatherproofing" is certainly working!!

Phew.... I have a trip booked to Chester Zoo next week, I was worried that I'd be left with only the X-T2, but now I'll have both :banana:

Well good news. It looks like the L bracket took most of the impact, and I've put the battery in and everything seems to work OK. No misting in the lens either, so that "weatherproofing" is certainly working!!

Phew.... I have a trip booked to Chester Zoo next week, I was worried that I'd be left with only the X-T2, but now I'll have both :banana:

I keep them somewhere warm for a few days to make sure they ae dried out. You just on a quick trip to Chester Zoo or up here for a longer time?

I keep them somewhere warm for a few days to make sure they ae dried out. You just on a quick trip to Chester Zoo or up here for a longer time?

The wife's sister & her husband are doing the country in their canal boat, and they're currently in Chester so we thought it would be an ideal opportunity to visit the zoo. Up for 3 nights, driving up Tuesday morning, coming home on Friday. My Brother-in-law is a keen photographer too, and has a T3... Staying in the Premier Inn Chester South.

Nice, and Phew indeed! Never dropped a camera in water but I remember when I had just got a brand new Samsung S6 phone [not long after it came out] , and took it for a swim in the pool on hol's .... who puts pockets in swim shorts!!!??? Needless to say I didn't get any good out of Vodafone, they sent it away and of course, the water damage strip gave me away - I did however manage to still sell it as non working [wouldn't even switch on/charge] for €90! and that kick started my venture into cheap Chinese phones

Anyway, glad it turned out ok for you (y)

Does anyone here have experience with the Laowa 65mm 2:1 macro for Fuji mount? I'm interested in it, watching one local, but the seller needs to play a little footsie :D I can take or leave it, but I think it's what I might actually really want atm

Nice, and Phew indeed! Never dropped a camera in water but I remember when I had just got a brand new Samsung S6 phone [not long after it came out] , and took it for a swim in the pool on hol's .... who puts pockets in swim shorts!!!??? Needless to say I didn't get any good out of Vodafone, they sent it away and of course, the water damage strip gave me away - I did however manage to still sell it as non working [wouldn't even switch on/charge] for €90! and that kick started my venture into cheap Chinese phones

Anyway, glad it turned out ok for you (y)

The only casualty has been my Lee "Big Stopper" which now has a crack in it. I managed to fix the filter holder.

The only casualty has been my Lee "Big Stopper" which now has a crack in it. I managed to fix the filter holder.

Not a terrible result I'd say [for one I know FA about filters! ] but rather that damaged than the camera

Does anyone here use the XC15-45 along with xf16 or 18? How do they compare? My first fuji came with the 15-45 but once I bought xc35 i never used the zoom and ended up selling it. I'm now looking at something wider and stuck between 16,18 and 23. My preference is leaning towards the 16 or 18 but I thought I could grab another 15-45 to test which focal length I'd prefer, then I thought why not just keep the 15-45? What differences are there other than the lower f stop on the primes? Cheers.

Does anyone here use the XC15-45 along with xf16 or 18? How do they compare? My first fuji came with the 15-45 but once I bought xc35 i never used the zoom and ended up selling it. I'm now looking at something wider and stuck between 16,18 and 23. My preference is leaning towards the 16 or 18 but I thought I could grab another 15-45 to test which focal length I'd prefer, then I thought why not just keep the 15-45? What differences are there other than the lower f stop on the primes? Cheers.

Quality of the optics, the 16mm F1.4 and 23mm F1.4 are stunning lenses, super sharp with beautiful colour rendering. The 16mm F1.4 will also focus super close, so can be used as a pseudo-macro lens. The 18mm XF1.4 also has some superb reviews.

Also the 16mm F1.4 is built like a tank, and is weather sealed.

The xc lenses seem to be reasonably well thought of optics wise, probably punch above their price in that respect

they are plastic though and the lack of an aperture ring is a bit of a downer for me

I got rid of a bunch of xf lenses and ended up with the XC35 as my main lens, sure it's plastic but doesn't bother me Makes it lighter, and cheaper. I don't mind no aperture ring as with primes I'm shooting wide open mostly and it's very good there, excellent at 2.8, precisely the same as the xf version that I owned. No WR is a thing but I've shot in the rain with it no bother.

I'm going to go for this Laowa 65mm macro, I think I'll have fun with that one. Really liked the 100mm version but it was heavy and had to use an adapter, can't believe how tiny the 65 is for a lens that can do 2:1

Quality of the optics, the 16mm F1.4 and 23mm F1.4 are stunning lenses, super sharp with beautiful colour rendering. The 16mm F1.4 will also focus super close, so can be used as a pseudo-macro lens. The 18mm XF1.4 also has some superb reviews.

Also the 16mm F1.4 is built like a tank, and is weather sealed.
Apologies should have stated with my budget it'd be the f2 and f2.8 variants of the primes.

23f2 is one I'd like to get one day for sure, just wasn't sure on 16f2.8 and 18f2

The xc lenses seem to be reasonably well thought of optics wise, probably punch above their price in that respect

they are plastic though and the lack of an aperture ring is a bit of a downer for me

Plastic and no aperture ring is no bother to me at all.

Does anyone here have experience with the Laowa 65mm 2:1 macro for Fuji mount? I'm interested in it, watching one local, but the seller needs to play a little footsie :D I can take or leave it, but I think it's what I might actually really want atm
I bought one after having used both the 60mm and the 80mm Fuji macro lenses. (I have X-T3)
It took me a while to get used to it being manual - but that is just me. From 1:1 through to 2:1 the dof is minimal (as expected) and my experience is that it works best in conjunction with focus peaking. The results are absolutely nothing to complain about, they are as good as I got with the 80mm from Fuji, at a fraction of the cost. (I traded in the 80mm to finance another, non-macro, lens which I get far more use out of)
I only photograph static objects, so cannot comment on how it is hand-held or for taking living things like insects, et al.
I would recommend it, but as said, cannot comment on its use off-tripod or on living subjects.

I bought one after having used both the 60mm and the 80mm Fuji macro lenses. (I have X-T3)
It took me a while to get used to it being manual - but that is just me. From 1:1 through to 2:1 the dof is minimal (as expected) and my experience is that it works best in conjunction with focus peaking. The results are absolutely nothing to complain about, they are as good as I got with the 80mm from Fuji, at a fraction of the cost. (I traded in the 80mm to finance another, non-macro, lens which I get far more use out of)
I only photograph static objects, so cannot comment on how it is hand-held or for taking living things like insects, et al.
I would recommend it, but as said, cannot comment on its use off-tripod or on living subjects.

Cheers, just what I needed :) I only ever manual focus for macro so no issues in that regard, and I only ever shoot macro hand held, I actually find using a tripod trickier. It's more the optical quality of it I wondered, and sounds just what I expected. If it's as good as the 100mm Nikon version I'll be more than satisfied. I think it'll be a lot easier use than that, it's half the size and half the weight and no need for any adapter.

Cheers, just what I needed :) I only ever manual focus for macro so no issues in that regard, and I only ever shoot macro hand held, I actually find using a tripod trickier. It's more the optical quality of it I wondered, and sounds just what I expected. If it's as good as the 100mm Nikon version I'll be more than satisfied. I think it'll be a lot easier use than that, it's half the size and half the weight and no need for any adapter.
The size and weight will make it easy to use hand-held, no doubt about that. I have no knowledge of the NIkon lens, but used a Canon 100mm before switching to Fuji, and looking back and comparing, then the results are as good, I'd say...hope that helps.

The size and weight will make it easy to use hand-held, no doubt about that. I have no knowledge of the NIkon lens, but used a Canon 100mm before switching to Fuji, and looking back and comparing, then the results are as good, I'd say...hope that helps.

Well I've commited to it now, payment sent to the seller - wasn't a bad price [£320] for what appears at least in the images to be boxed in excellent condition, looking forward to that.

Well I've commited to it now, payment sent to the seller - wasn't a bad price [£320] for what appears at least in the images to be boxed in excellent condition, looking forward to that.
Look forward to hearing what you think of it and seeing your images...:)

Look forward to hearing what you think of it and seeing your images...:)

I will certainly throw up some samples once I get it. What excites me most, as I don't just plan to use it as a strictly macro lens, is that it is a complete Aprochromatic lens, I remember with the 100mm that I tried to force issues like fringing, and I couldn't manage ... that impressed the sheet out of me. Looks like this 65mm has that same strength. All reviews I've checked say it is mad sharp even wide open, great for portraits also [because the bokeh is also decent] and of course the obvious strengths it has for macro. I find it funny that some reviews mark it down/as a con for being MF only ... like, hello! it'd be at least £1000 otherwise I think. MF is a non con to me, for macro I'm always manually focusing, also all manual cam controls so I can also control everything the flash does when used [often with macro] , for portraits or just casual close ups, MF is just fine as I'll take my time either way. I'd much rather precise, nicely controlled MF anyday over slow, noisey, innaccurate AF that many cheaper AF lenses suffer - the Fuji 60mm being a relevant example, about the same price, but only does 1:2 - it's noisey, it gets weird because it extends oddly just going to 1:2 and from what I've seen will never match the sharpness of the Laowa - especially wide open

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKtd4QoeplQ

Flick to 13mins or so where he tests for CA

Last edited:
Back