The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So I had another play with the Jupiter today. A bit more testing though as I had to deal with manual focus, manual flash for fill and a 4 year old that wouldn't stand still.
Further to that it was only when editing this shot that I noticed my son still had a mucky face from eating chocolate......so I guess the lens resolves well then :LOL:

Seth by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Ok here is my first shot using this 44 year old piece of Russian glass and also getting used to using focus peaking on the XT1.
Not the best composition but a good example of how well the lens throws out the back ground. it also seems to render colours and contrast well with a little nudge in PP.

Jupiter 11A test shot by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr
Lovely photograph, what is the focal length of the lens?

Anyone had any problems getting images from XT1 printed at around (20"x30") size?
A few of my images were apparently of too lower quality; which I was surprised about as I shoot Large Raw and export with 80+ quality in Lightroom.

At 30" you are 'only' at 163 dpi, whilst this should still print, (300 dpi is widely accepted as typical print standard), it won't be the best quality under a magnifying glass (close up), for viewing from the other side of a room or across a hall it should be fine.

What are you exporting at 80 when you want to print, why not export at 100 for JPG or even export as a TIFF

(Fuji had much larger blown up prints on their stand at the Photography Show, and they looked fine)

At 30" you are 'only' at 163 dpi, whilst this should still print, (300 dpi is widely accepted as typical print standard), it won't be the best quality under a magnifying glass (close up), for viewing from the other side of a room or across a hall it should be fine.
What are you exporting at 80 when you want to print, why not export at 100 for JPG or even export as a TIFF
(Fuji had much larger blown up prints on their stand at the Photography Show, and they looked fine)

82 is what I typically use for general uploads (here/flickr etc); based on an article I saw about Size of file vs Quality.
I went back and exported at 100 for one of the larger prints, hopefully it arrives today/tomorrow so I can decide if I like it.
Will try a Tiff format if its not up to parr...

This is the one i'm printing (FLICKR), although i've smoothed out the sky a little.
Just checked as well - i'm printing 20"x16" using it as a trial (of image and dscl) for a smaller frame

Last edited:
That will be absolutely fine at the larger size. 20x16 was the limit for my old Fuji S3 and S5 most of the time, but the XT1 can go much higher.

Ok here is my first shot using this 44 year old piece of Russian glass and also getting used to using focus peaking on the XT1.
Not the best composition but a good example of how well the lens throws out the back ground. it also seems to render colours and contrast well with a little nudge in PP.

Jupiter 11A test shot by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Cracking shot Stuart and just shows you don't needs to spend hundreds on lenses (must tell myself that). I need to do my old Pentax Legacy glass out and have a play.

The original Mary's Shell construction was a Millenium Project. Now that the Brexit campaign looks like winning, the unelected Eurocrats in Brussels are scared that their gravy train might dry up so are throwing money around like there's no tomorrow. They have just commissioned the construction of a nest of shells as a sign of their interest in our continued prosperity.

Mary's Shells by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Love that Frank and the moody mono works well

I really like your style of photography, especially the black and whites. Are these converted raws or jpegs? If they are raws what raw converting software do you use?

Peter

These were all RAWs imported into Lightroom, where I undertake cropping, alignment, and distortion correction etc. I usually also set the colour to Provia, and play with sharpness/detail

B/W conversion and any further adjustment is done within Silver Efex Pro, usually I use a standard preset and tweak a little though I have developed some custom presets.

Then back to lightroom for final export

Oops, I seem to have bought the 100-400mm. The very nice chaps at LCE in Manchester knocked £50 off just because im so good looking.:D
Not had chance to have a proper play yet but it feels light compared to my old dslr lenses but very well made.

Yay it arrived - Good quality up close aswell.
Not sure what I was worried about.

26300773732_486f32739a_b_d.jpg

Lovely! Thanks for raising this question. I'm about to do some printing from my X-T10 at pretty much exactly this size (except two up landscape on a single A0 sheet) so it was good to have some reassurance that this was realistic.

Nice! what size is the actual print? I printed an A3+ last night of my son on my Canon pro1 with platinum pro paper and it looks a little soft. Still struggling with editing the fuji files I think.

Nice! what size is the actual print? I printed an A3+ last night of my son on my Canon pro1 with platinum pro paper and it looks a little soft. Still struggling with editing the fuji files I think.

it is 16"x20" - I would probably try and get something a little sharper if it was for a client. For personal use though I can hardly tell :).

I did it! I bit the bullet and bought myself X-T10. I've been debating whether to get it, X-T1 or the X-E2 but made up my mind due to having one eye only the X-E2 rangefinder style wouldn't work with my only good left eye and I think I'll upgrade to a X-T2 when it comes out. Only problem is that I'll be travelling soon and need some accessories like a case or body armour for the camera, anyone can recommend any good non bulky ones?

Gents - as the 120 appears to be seriously delayed I'm considering mounting my Canon 100 on my XT1 for macro work - can anybody please recommend an adapter? Do they exist with aperture and autofocus control as that would be ideal. Thanks in advance:)

Don't know of any adapters that will allow the lens to function in anything other than manual mode.

Or would I be better off with the Fuji 60mm and add a Raynox if required? Anybody shooting macro on an XT1? Thoughts/advice welcomed! :)

Mike, have a look around the blog in my signature. The last few months are pretty much all macro and all X-T1 and I've written a lot about various ways to macro with the X-T1. Basically, if you need the lens to keep all it's automatic functionality you either get the Zeiss or the Fuji. Yes, you can add a Raynox for extra mag. However, if, like most of us macro photographers, you'll use the lens manual everything then you can use any lens you like and suddenly a whole new world opens up.

Last edited:
As we're talking about Macro with an X-T1, I've done quit a bit of it with various setups, be happy to help anyone that needs it.

X-T1, Schneider 120mm Makro-Symmar Lens, 1/180th @ F5.6, Self made focusing tubes & lens panel, Modified Ring Flash, Bit of forward tilt on lens panel to improve DoF.
Orb Weaver (10)-02443 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y)

George.

Mike, have a look around the blog in my signature. The last few months are pretty much all macro and all X-T1 and I've written a lot about various ways to macro with the X-T1. Basically, if you need the lens to keep all it's automatic functionality you either get the Zeiss or the Fufi. Yes, you can add a Raynox for extra mag. However, if, like most of us macro photographers, you'll use the lens manual everything then you can use any lens you like and suddenly a whole new world opens up.

Thanks I will do just that :) I'm not bothered about autofocus but would like a way of setting the aperture when out and about...

As we're talking about Macro with an X-T1, I've done quit a bit of it with various setups, be happy to help anyone that needs it.

X-T1, Schneider 120mm Makro-Symmar Lens, 1/180th @ F5.6, Self made focusing tubes & lens panel, Modified Ring Flash, Bit of forward tilt on lens panel to improve DoF.

George.

Nice work George! How do you set aperture? or just leave it wide open ?

George.

I forgot you're also using an X-T1!! Who else in the macro forum uses one?

Back