The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Nice shots, and lovely to see those beautiful cars racing. Worked at an Alfa dealers when they were new and we prepared a few for racing. A bloke called John Myerscough took me round the circuit in his - wonder if he's still racing?

We get lots of moths resting near our outside light. All sorts and shapes. I'd like to have a go at a bit of this macro lark with them, but don't want to spend a fortune on a lens for what will probably be a passing fancy.
I thought about getting some form of legacy lens - M42??? - with an adaptor. Rumour has it they can be picked up cheaply. Trouble is I know nothing about such lenses. Do any of you know the best lens to look at? @WingTsun seems to be a whizz on this.
Must stress I'm not looking to spend very much cash. A £20 from e-bay is sort of the area I'm thinking of!!!

We get lots of moths resting near our outside light. All sorts and shapes. I'd like to have a go at a bit of this macro lark with them, but don't want to spend a fortune on a lens for what will probably be a passing fancy.
I thought about getting some form of legacy lens - M42??? - with an adaptor. Rumour has it they can be picked up cheaply. Trouble is I know nothing about such lenses. Do any of you know the best lens to look at? @WingTsun seems to be a whizz on this.
Must stress I'm not looking to spend very much cash. A £20 from e-bay is sort of the area I'm thinking of!!!

You could pick up any old 20-24mm lens and reverse it with a reversing ring. That's probably the cheapest way to go. Or get a set of extension tubes used off the bay and pop them in front of a standard prime. Or look for something like the Vivitar 55mm 2.8 though that's likely to cost around the £50-100 mark. Alternatively, grab a Raynox 150 and pop it on the front of one of the lenses you already own.

Raynox DCR250 in front of a current lens

Thanks guys.

I hadn't thought of reversing lenses. I have a 56 so would that reverse well, or would the shorter focal length , say 14mm, give better results? This is a whole new field to me!
A Raynox? Never had anything to do with them. I'll look into them. Again would they be better with a longer or shorter lens? My twisted logic seems to indicate that the shorter length would be better, but then what do I know?

Thanks guys.

I hadn't thought of reversing lenses. I have a 56 so would that reverse well, or would the shorter focal length , say 14mm, give better results? This is a whole new field to me!
A Raynox? Never had anything to do with them. I'll look into them. Again would they be better with a longer or shorter lens? My twisted logic seems to indicate that the shorter length would be better, but then what do I know?

Generally the shorter lengths tend to be used more often but a 56mm is entirely doable. People tend to pop a Raynox on the front of a macro length for more magnification but you could also pop in on the 56mm or something longer like a 100-135mm for example.

If I use the longer lengths would that give me very small DOF? Then I'd be into stacking. Don't mind that but insects tend not to be too stationery for me! Moths would be OK because they are asleep.

on a trip over to Northern Ireland next weekend, ...could do with a cable release for my XT-1 ... any cheap suggestions? ... fancy a few landscapes of the usual spots ie. Giants Caus.. etc.
does the fuji app do the same thing from my phone ..??

on a trip over to Northern Ireland next weekend, ...could do with a cable release for my XT-1 ... any cheap suggestions? ... fancy a few landscapes of the usual spots ie. Giants Caus.. etc.
does the fuji app do the same thing from my phone ..??

You will get a cheap decent cable release from ebay or amazon for between 5 and 10 quid.
Im not sure if the phone app does bulb mode if you intend to do long exposures but it will do normal shutter duties remotely.

Just tap it on eBay and buy a cheap one, in fact I may have one in a drawer you can have.

going Friday, .. would be great if you have one u no longer need! ...I can ping over a couple of quid to cover postage no problem! .... had one for my Canon only used it once on a trip to NY for the obligatory Manhattan skyline shot! ..went in a draw after that never to come out again ..lol

going Friday, .. would be great if you have one u no longer need! ...I can ping over a couple of quid to cover postage no problem! .... had one for my Canon only used it once on a trip to NY for the obligatory Manhattan skyline shot! ..went in a draw after that never to come out again ..lol

I do indeed have one but may be quicker for you to order on eBay, it's this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/322060799428
I won't be able to get to PO until Tuesday earliest

great stuff! ... was thinking they would be "slow boat from China" delivery wait! ... will be here for Tues/Wed
thanks for info boys!!!

Thanks guys.

I've had a Raynox knocking around, so stuck it on the Fuji 60mm. The dof is minute! Not a great shot, just testing:

Testing
by JJ, on Flickr

Try and dig it back out, if it's a 2.5mm jack it will work on Fuji anyway.

Try and dig it back out, if it's a 2.5mm jack it will work on Fuji anyway.
will do Colin! .... was from my dark days using an old Canon 5D mk3 ... how i just put up and coped in them days before the Fooj ..i'll never know :rolleyes:

The original Mary's Shell construction was a Millenium Project. Now that the Brexit campaign looks like winning, the unelected Eurocrats in Brussels are scared that their gravy train might dry up so are throwing money around like there's no tomorrow. They have just commissioned the construction of a nest of shells as a sign of their interest in our continued prosperity.

Mary's Shells by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

I know we're not really known for our videography in here but I came across this issue when out yesterday: Serious wibbly wobbliness!

View: https://youtu.be/9Q3Y6qs0hGQ

As soon as I noticed It I moved the camera and it stopped, any idea why? (The flickering shortly after is me opening the aperture).

Was it on a tripod? If hand held did your hands start resting on something solid once you'd moved them? Looks like camera movement because it does do it a little bit later on.

Where was that?

I know we're not really known for our videography in here but I came across this issue when out yesterday: Serious wibbly wobbliness!

View: https://youtu.be/9Q3Y6qs0hGQ

As soon as I noticed It I moved the camera and it stopped, any idea why? (The flickering shortly after is me opening the aperture).

Not sure which lens you used but Did you have OIS switched on whilst this was on the tripod ? - OIS can help steady the camera whilst in the hand but can have the opposite effect when mounted on a tripod.

If you don't have OIS on your lens or it was off then I have no idea.

Not sure which lens you used but Did you have OIS switched on whilst this was on the tripod ? - OIS can help steady the camera whilst in the hand but can have the opposite effect when mounted on a tripod.

If you don't have OIS on your lens or it was off then I have no idea.

I think you could be right, I never look at the OIS switches.

Back