The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Well the 18mm f2 I just bought in Bangkok looks legit. It seems to function as it should and came with all the bells and whistles. It also has an international warranty card, for what it's worth.

IMG_1472564649.588188.jpg

IMG_1472564667.872231.jpg

All for £166.

SOOC at the bottom of my hotel. 1/26, f2, ISO1600

IMG_1472566027.694854.jpg

Well, a page or two ago I promised a pics, well - have three versions :)

The worst thing is v1 isn't even the SOOC, that was much darker and washed out so a bit of work was needed, so I came up with this (BTW sorry for the large size, its a pano so needed it)

Ullswater panoramic
by John Norton, on Flickr

Then I threw it up for a crit both here and with some friends - nothing here (edit - just got one :)), but my mates gave a couple of suggestions.
  1. I found the two layers of cloud neither of which are level to be confusing to the eye and possibly the foreground to be a bit dark.
  2. Black and white that baby.
So, for the first version I brought up the foreground and lightened some of the darker clouds to remove that two cloud level feel.

Ullswater panoramic - Adam Redo

Then for the B&W I took the the colour redo and plugged it onto Silver Efex Pro, applied dark sepia global with the addition of applying Acros film simulation then using a control point brought the central area back up - I did try pure B&W but the sepia worked better for me.

Ullswater panoramic - B&W

For me the B&W(ish) version works best but I really would have loved a colour version that popped enough.

Oh and if anything were to get me to buy the X-T2 it would be Acros after that (and if the continuous AF was usable)
The first one for me. I like the darker foreground it draws the eye to those beautiful greens.

Thanks, I was saving it for a month in the POTY comp last year, it was taken back in January 2015, but I forgot all about the comp and it's not been seen by anyone till now! Dexter can be very photogenic, but most of the time he's just a crazy idiot.
All Dexters must be crazy!!!
I see your Dexter and raise you my Dexter... I think someone else in this thread has a dog called Dexter too!

FULL_XTA6049 by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Why are you thinking of selling the 100-400mm?

simply because I'm not getting the opportunities to use it. since becoming a Dad i have less and less spare time to go and shoot for fun. so i have a lens worth over a grand sitting in my bag doing nothing.

Unless you need the cash that selling it would free up, I'd keep hold of it. At some point you'll want/need it again and will have to splash the cash to get it back. It's only been out a few months and the loss you'll probably take on it will work out at near the rental cost!

Unless you need the cash that selling it would free up, I'd keep hold of it. At some point you'll want/need it again and will have to splash the cash to get it back. It's only been out a few months and the loss you'll probably take on it will work out at near the rental cost!

its a difficult one. its a wonderful lens. but hard to justify having it when its not getting used.
will have to give it some thought

its a difficult one. its a wonderful lens. but hard to justify having it when its not getting used.
will have to give it some thought

That lens isn't a walkabout lens anyway so isn't used as much I would of thought anyway in the first place?

That lens isn't a walkabout lens anyway so isn't used as much I would of thought anyway in the first place?

certainly not a walkabout lens, no. i used to shoot a fair bit more wildlife stuff -but this one has only been on the camera a few times.

My starter Fuji kit was the X-Pro1 with the 18mm and a free 60mm. When I got that kit, I ordered the 18-55 and 55-200 zooms for convenience (a lot of places I shoot, foot zoom simply isn't possible!). When I got the X-T1 as well, I went for the 18-135 since 1) it's WR and 2) the extra reach is handy! At some point, I added the 10-24 since I love wide angles and I've also now got a 100-400 with the 1.4x and 2x telecons so I have pretty much all the focal lengths covered. SO much lighter than a DSLR kit with comparable FL range. The travel kit is now both bodies with 10-24, 18-135, 18mm prime and the 100-400 with the telecons.

I have a similar 4 lens kit I carry in a Lowepro passport messenger XF10-24mm ois 18-135mm ois 100-400mm ois + 1.4x and I have a Samyang 8mm f2.8 fisheye if I'm off for a day shooting.
Although I have 8 primes very rarely do I use these as it means I have to carry a tripod to get sharp images due to having the shakes and bad nerves.
If I go out for the odd hour I'm happy to use the XC 16-50mm and XC50-230mm which again have ois

I think the question initially refers to lightroom mobile, used on a tablet or phone though. Much harder with fingers instead of a mouse pointer :(
Useful tip cheers

simply because I'm not getting the opportunities to use it. since becoming a Dad i have less and less spare time to go and shoot for fun. so i have a lens worth over a grand sitting in my bag doing nothing.

I'm with you on this one. Have shot primes all my life but suddenly find myself using the 18-55mm most of the time!

Bit annoying it's ending a week before release. I've pre ordered but not sure they would honour any cashbook for it!

I haven't preordered an XT2 as I accidentally spent the money on a new Bass guitar. Shiny things got the better of me!

I must admit I miss the "Fuji colours", even though I know it's only a clever algorithm that makes them appear so nice.
I'll have to practice in Photoshop more or just get an XT10 later on as a play camera.

Just contacted Fuji to find out about the the existing remote release compatibility of the XT2.

"Thank you for contacting Fujifilm UK.

We can confirm that the RR-90 is compatible with the X-T2. The smaller of the 2 ports is the HDMI connection and the larger port is split into 2. The lower part is where the RR-90 connects to.

We hope this information helps.

Kind regards.

The Fujifilm X World Team"

Just contacted Fuji to find out about the the existing remote release compatibility of the XT2.

"Thank you for contacting Fujifilm UK.

We can confirm that the RR-90 is compatible with the X-T2. The smaller of the 2 ports is the HDMI connection and the larger port is split into 2. The lower part is where the RR-90 connects to.

We hope this information helps.

Kind regards.

The Fujifilm X World Team"

On that note - can someone recommend a remote release they have been using with the XT1?

On that note - can someone recommend a remote release they have been using with the XT1?

Canon RS-60E3 wired remote plugged in the mic jack, Hahnel Giga Pro with 2.5mm jack also worked if you want wireless

More than likely that the Ebay cheapo Canon compatible remotes work too, but havent tried them so can't say for definite

Last edited:
Oh, just a tip that most of you know already to help with battery life - use EVF + Eye Sensor, despite taking four batteries with me when I was away most days one was enough and on a heavy day when I tried high performance it used two, the second lasted most of the next day too.

So a couple of questions, given how well the 18-135 performs (which surprised me by the way given its a superzoom) how does it stack up against other lenses?

Also what does the high performance mode actually do other than drain the battery quickly?

Other than it being slightly slower (in terms of aperture) than the 18-55, there's very little to chose between the 2, The extra FL range of the 18-135 along with the WR aspect make it the perfect companion to the X-T1.

I did factor in WR when looking giving I was going to the lakes, which as it turned out wasn't a concern, but still I'm very glad to have it and the extra reach really did help as more often than not I get closer when using the Nikon, but this one covered all bases.

I could see a 56mm in my future at some point as it'd be like an 85.

Far better to have WR and not need it than the other way round! Since my Fuji system is aimed at being (relatively!) lightweight, I've stuck with zooms, although I'm taking the 18mm f/2 for the stop and a half it'll give me over the zoom (for Milky Way shots).

Canon RS-60E3 wired remote plugged in the mic jack, Hahnel Giga Pro with 2.5mm jack also worked if you want wireless

More than likely that the Ebay cheapo Canon compatible remotes work too, but havent tried them so can't say for definite
I have an imitation (Neewer) RS-60E3 and can confirm it does NOT work on the X-T1 or X-Pro2. At least, it doesn't work as it should! In fact, it went into the bin only this afternoon.

Back