The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Yes! @minnnt is back. Given up on the idea of a fancy Neyecon or sticking with the D750?
Coming back to the Fooj?
Or are you just a lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl,
Going over the same old ground, year after year.
Wish you were here.

(Work that one out!)

:) Hello fellow Floyd fan ;)

Big miss on stage ! Brit Floyd will just have to do for me in April !

Last edited:
I'm staying across from Central station, I've never been to Newcastle before so I have know idea where anything is ! I'll only have a few hours in the morning of Wednesday to have a look round so I doubt i'll get to do much. Thanks for the tips though.
If you go to the Tourist Info (which is just off Grey St which must be up there with the best streets in England for architecture) they sell some maps for walking tours of Newcastle - the Grainger Town one will give you a mix of old (city walls etc) and new parts of Newcastle. The Quayside is good too, but unlikely to be great at that time of day.

I'm staying across from Central station, I've never been to Newcastle before so I have know idea where anything is ! I'll only have a few hours in the morning of Wednesday to have a look round so I doubt i'll get to do much. Thanks for the tips though.

Just spend those few hours on the quayside, there are plenty of photo opportunities either side of the river. For refreshments, there is the Pitcher and Piano north side of the Millennium Bridge or if you want to slum it there is a Wetherspoons further up the river on the same side. A trip up to shoot the Angel would give you pleasing results if you could take that in too.

Not imo. Looks better than the GS XT1.
The DF looks great from some angles and not from others. The XT1 looks great from all angles, I just wish the GSE was more silver than grey.

A couple more from my Japan stuff. And I've barely started cataloguing tbh.

35mm f2 - again proving it's a very capable lens, but in this light I didn't half miss the f1.4.

Lantern Light
by stickyfiddle, on Flickr

And the 10-24 shot at 11mm. Maybe just a smidgen of distortion towards the corners but I'm happy with it.

Paper Walls
by stickyfiddle, on Flickr

So @Houston1863 did you get into town to play with one?

What did you think?

Thinking of giving the X-T1 (had to justify posting in this thread) a trip out to Liverpool for a weekend, missus will be coming along too.

Any suggestions please of somewhere to stay on the outskirts, thinking couple of nights b&b and catching a train into the city, we would be driving in from the south on M6.

Never been to Liverpool, nearest I got was watching the O's at Tranmere Rovers on a Friday night many moons ago, so reckon it's time I came for a look round.

Alternatively could just go all the way by train and stay in the city, any suggestions gratefully received from you NW people.
Guessing long-term car parking will be expensive and limited in the city hence the train suggestion

Cheers for you anticipated assistance

Last edited:
Thinking of giving the X-T1 (had to justify posting in this thread) a trip out to Liverpool for a weekend, missus will be coming along too.

Any suggestions please of somewhere to stay on the outskirts, thinking couple of nights b&b and catching a train into the city, we would be driving in from the south on M6.

Never been to Liverpool, nearest I got was watching the O's at Tranmere Rovers on a Friday night many moons ago, so reckon it's time I came for a look round.

Alternatively could just go all the way by train and stay in the city, any suggestions gratefully received from you NW people.
Guessing long-term car parking will be expensive and limited in the city hence the train suggestion

The centre is very compact (for a city), given the choice I'd stay in the city centre, plenty of hotels at different budgets

No suggestions from me of where to stay but Liverpool is awesome mate. We love it there. It has everything to offer. The museums are really good and are free too. We found an all day car park for £3.50.

Have a great time pal.

Thanks to you both, looks an interesting place to visit, always good to get recommendation from others who have been.
My research is also saying city centre, train or car now is the question?

Last edited:
That i can't help you with. We only tend to visit for the day. The last time we went we stayed a little longer rather than rush around. We're planning to go back when it's all done up for Christmas. Should be a nice place to shoot come nightime.

The DF looks great from some angles and not from others. The XT1 looks great from all angles, I just wish the GSE was more silver than grey.
The DF looks awful and a good example why Nikon should avoid retro style designs. I had a go at it and was very disappointed. The controls on it are confusing and not logical and the grip, well too small for the size of the camera that I m not sure why have it.

So @Houston1863 did you get into town to play with one?

What did you think?

Meant to reach you by PM last night JohnN.

You just would not believe this. I had set off just after 3pm on what would have been a 33 min drive per Google Maps only to journey into Euston on a day that some glass panes ( according to LBC ) and panels ( according to the lovely young WPC I spoke with ) descend onto the pavement from some tall building. Thus Euston Rd was shut off with traffic diverted north through Albany St.......where I needed to go to get to Drummond St. It was like a picnic on the Euston Rd as no one was making much progress. Finally I had to make a u-turn which even the WPC hoped would be fine as she could not give me permission to do so or I would have been there for at least another hour and missed my reading slot at Westminster Cathedral. I got out reasonably early and shudder to think where the long line of cars might have stretched back to on the A40.....

New expedition planned for tomorrow and will no doubt report back. I am expecting there will be less drama on the roads.....

So, are you asking 'cos you would like to come back to Canon? Happy to consider any possible swaps bar the 50 and 135Ls which are almost gone dependent on the results of my findings on the morrow :D

Happy Sunny Sunday pal :)

Last edited:
Now, if you'd had the 135 ;)

Grief, what a day!

Good luck for tomorrow

Plenty of places to stay depending on your budget.
On the south you are better looking near the airport, plenty of cheap places for a one or two night stay. Then there are shuttle buses to an Interchange at Liverpool South Parkway where you can catch a train every 15mins into the centre. Leave your car at the hotel - the trains and buses work well.
You could train it into Lime Street, and again there are plenty of Premier Inn/Travelodge type places within easy reach. If you want me to go and do a recce just holler - my bus pass gives me free travel on the trains. (Your pass only works on the buses - if you are old enough to have one!) My choice would be to train it all the way and leave the car at home.

I've just entered Liverpool into Booking.com and it comes up with a multitude of decent places in Central Liverpool. Don't rule out staying on the Waterfront - Albert Dock area. Good hotels and good eating places, plus great night time photo opportunities.

When are you thinking of coming? I'm happy to guide you round the place. Photo opportunities are more than you can fit into a weekend so you won't go short. @Mr Perceptive will find it hard to keep away.

PM me for pnone numbers if you want a natter.

Edit....No problem if Mrs comes along. There's Liverpool One, which is a town centre out of town shopping Mall. Plus a ginormous John Lewis. All she will need is your credit card!

Last edited:
:) Hello fellow Floyd fan ;)

Big miss on stage ! Brit Floyd will just have to do for me in April !
Hello. Just seen this. I first saw Floyd in the very early years. I got tickets for a gig at Blackpool Tech Students Union do. Audience reaction to Astronime Domine wasn't good, so they played the rest of the set with their backs to the audience. Music was just as good. Now I see where Roger Waters got the idea of The Wall from!

I've blown the dust off my Canon gear, for one last use before selling. I'm now struggling to make a decision again, considering I've hardly used the gear in two years it should be an easy decision...?! I'm now considering selling all the Fuji gear and Canon bodies to pick up a 5DmkIV...

Shooting FF again in comparison to APS-C was probably a silly idea. It just highlights that a 35mm on a crop just isn't the same as a 50mm on FF. The 5DmkIV sure is pricey but it looks to be that much better than a 5DmkIII that I'd just go for it. I've currently got a 1DsmkII and 1DmkIV so the size difference to the Fuji's is huge, I'm thinking going back to a standard DSLR size might work for me. I've dragged the old 7D out to have a play...

I blame Fuji for the situation as I haven't been able to get an X-T2...

I've blown the dust off my Canon gear, for one last use before selling. I'm now struggling to make a decision again, considering I've hardly used the gear in two years it should be an easy decision...?! I'm now considering selling all the Fuji gear and Canon bodies to pick up a 5DmkIV...

Shooting FF again in comparison to APS-C was probably a silly idea. It just highlights that a 35mm on a crop just isn't the same as a 50mm on FF. The 5DmkIV sure is pricey but it looks to be that much better than a 5DmkIII that I'd just go for it. I've currently got a 1DsmkII and 1DmkIV so the size difference to the Fuji's is huge, I'm thinking going back to a standard DSLR size might work for me. I've dragged the old 7D out to have a play...

I blame Fuji for the situation as I haven't been able to get an X-T2...

It does indeed seem that the 5D4 breaks new ground but the 5D3 is still a mightily amazing body. I've never had an OOF shot with it that I can recall. To me a 1D series body in a smaller frame. That said, I'm with you on the stocks of the X-T2. Park Cameras wouldn't even break one out of the box as they were inundated with pre-orders and anything left were felt to be able to satisfy further and continued demand. I'm looking forward to playing with one at Calumet who are it appears happy for me to go in to have a play. If all goes well then, I'm making the changeover. At least for one body initially as I'm considering running two parallel systems for now. Fuji still as discussed, have to bring their range of lenses up to scratch.

Enjoy the journey back in time ;)

Plenty of places to stay depending on your budget.
On the south you are better looking near the airport, plenty of cheap places for a one or two night stay. Then there are shuttle buses to an Interchange at Liverpool South Parkway where you can catch a train every 15mins into the centre. Leave your car at the hotel - the trains and buses work well.
You could train it into Lime Street, and again there are plenty of Premier Inn/Travelodge type places within easy reach. If you want me to go and do a recce just holler - my bus pass gives me free travel on the trains. (Your pass only works on the buses - if you are old enough to have one!) My choice would be to train it all the way and leave the car at home.

I've just entered Liverpool into Booking.com and it comes up with a multitude of decent places in Central Liverpool. Don't rule out staying on the Waterfront - Albert Dock area. Good hotels and good eating places, plus great night time photo opportunities.

When are you thinking of coming? I'm happy to guide you round the place. Photo opportunities are more than you can fit into a weekend so you won't go short. @Mr Perceptive will find it hard to keep away.

PM me for pnone numbers if you want a natter.

Edit....No problem if Mrs comes along. There's Liverpool One, which is a town centre out of town shopping Mall. Plus a ginormous John Lewis. All she will need is your credit card!

Thank you very much for the detailed reply and offers of assistance, not thinking of coming until early next year, but like to have a rough idea in my head what we are up to.

My missus hates shopping equally as much as I do, likes heritage type stuff and we go to all sorts of places around the country. Last trip was to Bradford Industrial museum and the Media Museum, next long trip is National Coal Mining museum near Wakefield. Nearer home this week and it's the Wilkins and Sons Jam museum and tearooms at Tiptree, always enjoy a cream tea. A village nearby called Silver End that has some nice art deco buildings, built as a workers model village by Mr Crittall of metal window making fame.

Reckon we might take the train to Liverpool then and stay in somewhere central, just seen some studio type rooms near Albert Dock recommended. Like to get trains booked early, not too costly that way and get a third off with a two together railcard, that pays the extra for 1st class.

Look forward to our Liverpool trip, looks like the regeneration cash has been well spent, hope to see the trams at Birkenhead.Went to Middlesbrough recently and it was grim, reckon they could do with some help, Transporter Bridge was impressive though.

Thanks again
Rich

There are a few places of interest nearby, the station itself, the Life museum, close to St. James Park, and a short walk to the likes of Eldon Square, Northumberland Street and Grey Street (main shopping areas) with some decent architecture.. Have fun.

hope to see the trams at Birkenhead
We went to see the trams on our first day out with the X-T2. Won't take much above 30 minutes in there. You can have rides through Birkenhead Industrial Park if that's your thing.

Some excellent museums. As you say the regeneration money has been well spent. We moved here in the days of Derek Hatton and Militant Tendency. Liverpool was a grim place to visit. Now it is pleasant and I'm not worried about being out on my own at night in winter with my camera gear. The major problem is scousers showing you their pics on their phones, but they all mean well.

For a couple of days as a shot break you are likely to enjoy yourselves. Let me know if you want help or a guide.

P.S. Agree about the first class thing. Did you know that Virgin have weekend offer on. Pay for 2nd class but just go and sit in an unreserved 1st class seat and they only charge you £15 extra. Sat and Sun only.

We went to see the trams on our first day out with the X-T2. Won't take much above 30 minutes in there. You can have rides through Birkenhead Industrial Park if that's your thing.

Some excellent museums. As you say the regeneration money has been well spent. We moved here in the days of Derek Hatton and Militant Tendency. Liverpool was a grim place to visit. Now it is pleasant and I'm not worried about being out on my own at night in winter with my camera gear. The major problem is scousers showing you their pics on their phones, but they all mean well.

For a couple of days as a shot break you are likely to enjoy yourselves. Let me know if you want help or a guide.

P.S. Agree about the first class thing. Did you know that Virgin have weekend offer on. Pay for 2nd class but just go and sit in an unreserved 1st class seat and they only charge you £15 extra. Sat and Sun only.

Thanks Frank, most kind and may well ask you a few more questions nearer the time, can't beat local knowledge

That 1st class offer is pretty good, might make use of that, got the last tickets in one of the Virginia East Coast ticket sales, ended up two quid cheaper than 2nd class.

If you ever need similar guidance with Cambridge just let me know, not quite on the scale of Liverpool though, but very pleasant

Cheers
Rich

Only ever visited Liverpool once but loved the place. A three day break a few years ago, stayed in the city centre. The Ark Royal was in dock I remember. We did the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour... for reminiscence purposes :banana: thoroughly enjoyed it and the guide was very entertaining. We plan on returning, wanting to pay a visit to the slave museum. A great friendly place.

We did the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear you had to do that. Never mind next time you come you can enjoy the real things in Liverpool not the schmaltz set up for the Japanese and yankee trippers off the cruise boats.

We plan on returning, wanting to pay a visit to the slave museum. A great friendly place.
The slave museum is just a part of the Maritime Museum on the Albert Dock. Thought provoking.

The big new Museum of Liverpool is well worth a visit. Photography is allowed but don't let them see a tripod - even if you are not using it. Jobsworths in high vis jackets - you can guess the rest. Also the World Museum if you have the best part of a day to spare. Walker Art Gallery always has interesting exhibitions. The last was all about the Pre Raphaelite Brotherhood. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Holman Hunt et al. Magnificent.

Even the new Library is worth a visit. Superb new roof that is open to the public, (I have a shot of it as my phone wallpaper) and the Picton reading rooms are a must for photgraphers, but remember to sssh. Round the corner is Liverpool's treasure...a copy of Audubon's Birds of America. Worth £10million!!!! and you can see it, in it's bullet proof display case, but it is open to see.

Two Cathedrals, and the new Catholic (Metroplitan) has some superb stained glass and other modern architecture. The Proddy one is traditional but glorious in it's own way. You can also get to the top of the main tower.

Docklands and Pier Head are always interesting, and if you like street scenes the place is full of interest. Go on a Saturday afternoon and get shots of the girls walking round town with their hair in curlers. Yes, you heard right.

So much that I can't remember it all.

Last edited:
Any londeners here? Am with the family doing the Warner brothers tour in Watford, then grabbing a hotel in Borehamwood. We wanna duck into town tomorrow as the kids have never seen Westminster, buck palace and all that. What's the cheapest/easiest way? I don't mind driving in, but wouldn't know where to park. Alternatively we can park at a station and train it in, but I have no idea where best to approach from etc...
Any advice?

Any londeners here? Am with the family doing the Warner brothers tour in Watford, then grabbing a hotel in Borehamwood. We wanna duck into town tomorrow as the kids have never seen Westminster, buck palace and all that. What's the cheapest/easiest way? I don't mind driving in, but wouldn't know where to park. Alternatively we can park at a station and train it in, but I have no idea where best to approach from etc...
Any advice?

The HP studio is awesome (and I didn't even watch the films) are you planning visiting the city on a separate day to the tour?

Ah good as you wouldn't fit both in a day. I'd definitely get the train in, parking is a nightmare. Can't help you with what stations but should be easily googleable.

When you're queuing for your tour, look at the portraits above you. Have fun!

Any advice?
If you're staying at Borehamwood you can get (if it's running!) the train direct from there to St Pancras or stay on till Blackfriars, from where you can walk along the South Bank towards Tower Bridge. (TIP: if doing that don't leave the station by the main entrance but follow the direction of the train and go down the stairs on the left at the end of the platform so you end up on the south side of the river)

Yes! @minnnt is back. Given up on the idea of a fancy Neyecon or sticking with the D750?
Coming back to the Fooj?
Or are you just a lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl,
Going over the same old ground, year after year.
Wish you were here.

(Work that one out!)
Frank, when quoting Floyd please get the lyrics in the right order. People have been shot for less.:D

Frank, when quoting Floyd please get the lyrics in the right order. People have been shot for less.:D
I know they are not correct. But I thought I could use poetic licence. TBH I never thought anyone else would know them so intimately as to know that I was wrong.
Did you see them on Friday night? Syd was there on Astronomy Domine.

Reactions: ASH
Here you are @ASH

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell
Blue skies from pain
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change? And did you exchange
A walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground. What have we found?
The same old fears
Wish you were here

was out yesterday to watch the Paisley Mod Stuff scooter ride out, and had the XT2 and 23mm 1.4 with me.These guys have picked the correct place to cause a traffic violation.
View attachment 76056
You know, I saw this in your own thread and didn't even realise it was Paisley. Passed a couple of scooters in Bishopton yesterday morning and wondered whether there was something on.

Ps I also wondered what the violation was. Obstructing traffic?

Back