The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Does anyone use the X-T1 and 18-55 lens for studio portraiture? Is the lens sharp enough for fine facial details? I could get a loan of a 35mm f1.4. Would I see a significant difference?
Depends how fast a shutter your using, how stable your hands are and what the light is like where you are + many other variables. On paper it'll be the better option. In use on a bright day when conditions are perfect the 35 is notably sharper for me at 2.8 and pretty much as sharp down at 1.4/1.8. If conditions aren't great and your shooting at 1/40 or slower then your likely to be better off with the 18-55.
My advise, borrow one and make up your own mind if the benefits (if any) work for you.

Whats the 16-50 kit lens like for af speed and iq?
I have a couple of copies and optically I find them to be really excellent it also has OIS which is superb I purchased them with my XM1 & XA2 cameras I then added the XC 50-230mm which is also very impressive.
Yes they both have a lightweight plastic build and mount they are optically as good as most other Fujinon lenses.
I Ialways take great care with my gear so have no worries in that department.
It makes for a couple of extremely nice lightweight lens in you kit bag :) :fuji:

Last edited:
Adobe CC going up to £10.10 per month [emoji15]

(*only after your current subscription term though)

I'm guessing it was inevitable once they had a captured audience it still offers good value for working pro's and enthusiasts I guess.
Me I have purchased Affinity which is more than I need for less than £30 on offer a one off purchase and a bargain when you think what even elements costs these days it is also available I believe for windows as well as Mac
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

Does anyone use the X-T1 and 18-55 lens for studio portraiture? Is the lens sharp enough for fine facial details? I could get a loan of a 35mm f1.4. Would I see a significant difference?
I use a X-T1 with either XC 16-50mm or my 18-135mm and they give plenty of detail if not a little to much at times :)

Enjoyed reading that and the photos, although the first main photo with the boats and mist was taken with a Canon 5D2......:eek::D
I thought it was just a good reminder and prompt for winter shooting I don't think it was camera specific even though it was in a Fuji blog glad you enjoyed the read (y)

Come on guys lets not make this thread about moaning about Adobe, the increase is less than a cup of coffee a month, and most of us spend vast amounts on travelling for our togging, so a couple of quid extra really is no biggie. Its still cheap for what it is.

170131 Manchester Reflections
by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr
Another super capture thanks for posting excellent detail and tones !

Oooh I do like this can't really put my finger on why ?
But it just has something really appealing to me (y) Thanks for sharing

Thanks Phil.

It's not my fave from the series, but I was flicking through LR and realised I'd forgotten to publish it - there is something about it I find quite captivating... and like you I can't put my finger on it!

Anyone tried this yet https://www.dpreview.com/news/19395...ings-much-loved-x-trans-processing-to-windows

Never had a problem with the "painterly" effect, but this may help if you do and use a Windows machine.

Might give it a go tomorrow afternoon, off for a stroll in the morning and usually come back with a photo or three

Thanks, this was a timely reminder for me. I had downloaded the trial byt hadn't really used it much to compare with RAW conversions in LR. Spent an hour today with various files and I've convinced myself that there is enough improvement to invest the £30 (y) Now hopefully that £30 will make me take better shots :D

ETA, I have a wanted ad for a 27mm if anyone is looking to sell one on (y)

Last edited:
Whats the 16-50 kit lens like for af speed and iq?

I find it a very handy lightweight lens, no aperture ring, but personally prefer controlling it via the rear wheel. Focuses quickly and the ois (which has to be enabled via the menu) is good.

Yes the18-55 is better albeit heavier and more expensive, one other advantage for the XC lens is its wider at 16mm. don't miss the 5mm at the tele end very often

This was taken today with the XC 16-50mm

Cows 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Thanks, this was a timely reminder for me. I had downloaded the trial byt hadn't really used it much to compare with RAW conversions in LR. Spent an hour today with various files and I've convinced myself that there is enough improvement to invest the £30 (y) Now hopefully that £30 will make me take better shots :D

Well I tried the demo and it royally effed up my PC, Lightroom wouldn't open so had to uninstall and reload it, lucky I still had the serial number (couldn't remember my Adobe ID though)

Think I will stick with LR6 and PN for my demosaicing, never noticed the oft spoken about problems, but glad it works for some people.

ETA, I have a wanted ad for a 27mm if anyone is looking to sell one on (y)

Sorry, do have one, but its currently being used as a body cap on an emergency back up X-E1. Handy to just leave in a hotel room when away with a charged battery and memory card, in the event of loss or theft of the main gear photos can still be taken

Last edited:
I'm guessing it was inevitable once they had a captured audience it still offers good value for working pro's and enthusiasts I guess.
Me I have purchased Affinity which is more than I need for less than £30 on offer a one off purchase and a bargain when you think what even elements costs these days it is also available I believe for windows as well as Mac
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/
Well, it's held its price for long enough so a small increase is just to be expected. It's just a pity you can't get a subscription purely for Lightroom; although I make some use of Photoshop it's only for overlaying text, which just about any photo software could do. But I'm a genuine fan of LR, not just for raw processing but also for its DAM.

I have a couple of copies and optically I find them to be really excellent it also has OIS which is superb I purchased them with my XM1 & XA2 cameras I then added the XC 50-230mm which is also very impressive.
Yes they both have a lightweight plastic build and mount they are optically as good as most other Fujinon lenses.
I Ialways take great care with my gear so have no worries in that department.
It makes for a couple of extremely nice lightweight lens in you kit bag :) :fuji:

I find it a very handy lightweight lens, no aperture ring, but personally prefer controlling it via the rear wheel. Focuses quickly and the ois (which has to be enabled via the menu) is good.

Yes the18-55 is better albeit heavier and more expensive, one other advantage for the XC lens is its wider at 16mm. don't miss the 5mm at the tele end very often

This was taken today with the XC 16-50mm

View attachment 95122

Thanks both, looks like its a decent perfromer then, it could be a nice match with the xt20 without spending too much if I decide to go the fuji route.

Thanks both, looks like its a decent perfromer then, it could be a nice match with the xt20 without spending too much if I decide to go the fuji route.
I'm sure in time you will be over the moon with Fuji it's taken me a little while to adapt and I'm still learning the menu system but jpg or raw it's capable of delivering some outstanding images in the right hands :)
:( Sadly not my shaky hands though :dummy:

I thought it was just a good reminder and prompt for winter shooting I don't think it was camera specific even though it was in a Fuji blog glad you enjoyed the read (y)
Well I thought that too. But then in the comments, he said
The images were all taken on Fiji XT1/ XP2 / XT2 with a variety of lenses but my three go to lenses now are the 10-24, 16-55 and 50-140. I have some primes (14,35f2,56) which I love to use with the XP2. Most of the shots were taken on a tripod, I use Gitzo and have a GT3541LS series for landscapes and GT1545T for travel.
o_O:oops: :$

that really is a great capture, jaw truly on floor, are the birds pp in? they really add to this shot for me

Thanks niko. Yeah this is obviously a long exposure but the birds were in a normal exposure image taken from exactly the same spot and I liked them too so they got moved... :)

Thanks niko. Yeah this is obviously a long exposure but the birds were in a normal exposure image taken from exactly the same spot and I liked them too so they got moved... :)
beautifully done mate, really works, its almost gothic

With due credit to @ianmarsh for telling me about this nice vantage point, hope you don't mind that I walked in your footsteps Ian!
X-T2 and 16-55mm.

Shard View #1 by Brian M, on Flickr
A great shot, well composed and exposed. I'm no longer in a position to visit London but used to, and I'm trying to visualise just where you stood to take this.

First trip out with my X-T1 in anger today seeing as its first time its been nice since I got it (Tuesday this week) and I kinda wished I had done more homework first.
Up until today its just been used around the house and I have been really impressed, but today went for a walk along the canal footpath. I originally got this for the jpegs it produces SOOC to reduce the amount of time I spend processing RAW files from my DSLR. However tree branches, foliage, grass etc all come out "painterly" even in the Raws but admittedly not so much as in jpegs.
Now doing some research I'm finding out that I not alone and it is a very common problem with Fuji shooters and the x-trans processor.
Are there any settings in the camera to reduce this effect at all or does it look like I'm going back to my X-E1 for casual days out and my DSLR for everything else?

I loved the Fuji app for transferring photos to my phone it worked flawlessly for me however my new Nexus has a new version of android and it will not work! Is there another app option anyone can recommend?

Thanks for the very kind comments folks!

Another one from yesterday, same combo of X-T2 and 16-55mm. Posting a 500px link as when I upload it to Flickr it becomes horribly noisy...

https://500px.com/photo/195738577/-bád-eddie-eddie-s-boat-by-brian-maguire?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=120592

Edit: can't work out how to embed 500px images into this forum... I'll try a direct upload!

View attachment 94795

Thats a beauty.

Love this David compelling simplicity

Another from Wednesday...

Light and Dark by Alan Jones, on Flickr

A lovely moody mono Alan

Hmmm,

I'm confused, that says "heading south over the bridge...." But the Shard is on the south side of the river, and that shot is taken from the other side (which be North of the river...) Or have I completely missed something??

Lol. I missed that at the time. Yeah head across the bridge to the north side and then down the steps to the right.

First trip out with my X-T1 in anger today seeing as its first time its been nice since I got it (Tuesday this week) and I kinda wished I had done more homework first.
Up until today its just been used around the house and I have been really impressed, but today went for a walk along the canal footpath. I originally got this for the jpegs it produces SOOC to reduce the amount of time I spend processing RAW files from my DSLR. However tree branches, foliage, grass etc all come out "painterly" even in the Raws but admittedly not so much as in jpegs.
Now doing some research I'm finding out that I not alone and it is a very common problem with Fuji shooters and the x-trans processor.
Are there any settings in the camera to reduce this effect at all or does it look like I'm going back to my X-E1 for casual days out and my DSLR for everything else?

I found this too when I first got the XT-1 and was shooting Jpeg - I was getting a bit of a 'mushy' effect in images. If you go to the 3rd menu section, and change Noise reduction to -2 [there is no 'off' this is pretty much it] you should see an improvement. I shoot RAW mostly and don't get this effect anymore. Are you shooting Jpeg + Raw? Maybe try RAW only and see, maybe it's copying your in cam jpeg settings over to the RAW in LR - check the noise reduction, sharpening [also keep this down to 0 for Jpeg] in LR after you transfer in a Jpeg + Raw.

Back