The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Has anyone here moved to a Fuji X camera from Nikon D750? What are the main differences, disadvantages you immediately noticed? Any advantages besides size/weight? I've heard some of the lenses are gorgeous

Yeah but no but yeah but no!

Not abandoned the Nikon completely but do use the Fijis far more. Main difference IS the weight and bulk - the Fuji system is much more portable, both as a single body/lens around the neck and as a multi body system in a backpack. Having an effective focal length range (FF/35mm film) of 15mm to 600mm (plus teleconverters on the long lens) in 3 zooms that are an easy carry is a HUGE bonus to my creaky back and legs and the fact that the XF range of lenses is pretty damn good is icing on the cake.
Downsides are few. I still prefer a proper TTL OVF as found in the D750 but of the EVFs I've used, the Fujis are the best and do the job perfectly well in 95+% of instances. Lenses (and bodies!) aren't cheap and 3rd party choices are relatively rare and limited in functionality (AF? auto aperture?). Some people reckon the X-T? is a bit small for big hands but my hamlikes find them comfortable, even without extra grips.

HTH.

It's been a while since I sold my X-T1 kit due it just not being what I needed at the time, but I'm now back in the fray with an X-T2 and I'm delighted with it. I think everything I wasn't happy with on the X-T1 has been addressed on the X-T2. Primarily, with the improved sensor, massively improved AF, additional memory card slot, the joystick, more responsive controls and the improved side flaps. I had been using an X100T, but now that I've got the awesome 23mm f/2 WR, I'm questioning whether I'm really going to use it at all.

As with the X-T1, I've already customised the controls with some strategically placed blobs of Sugru. Now, I can easily activate the AF-L, AE-L buttons and joystick without fumbling. Also, I've formed a little protective ridge around the dioptre wheel as it was being displaced too easily in my camera bag.

As well as the 23mm f/2 WR, I've also bought the 35mm f/2 WR despite already owning the 35mm f/1.4 which was my favourite Fuji lens. The AF speeds with the two f/2 lenses is incredible and I'm used to shooting Nikon DSLRs!

Whaaaaaaaat?! Thats the first thing I saw! The likeness is so striking I assumed it was intentional.

Likewise, I never noticed how great winter is for shadow work. The sun never gets high so there are dramatic shadows everywhere!
Nope although I'll take credit for it if it finds itself in a camera club monthly title! ;)

a few from Kings College, Cambridge today with the x-t2 and 23 1.4. One problem ive just had is with the export from lightroom with colours being over saturated. Im setup and and calibrated to use LR with the adobe RGB colour space rather than sRGB and the camera set to Adobe RGB. Now in LR everything looks fine but exporting a Jpeg to sRGB seems to produce over saturated images, from my D750 its all fine, i just get this overblown effect from the x-t2 files. See below for the stained glass window, i had to dial the saturation right back in LR before the export to get the colours less radioactive! Anyway, other than that the camera seemed to handle the darker areas of the chapel quite well, there is some noise on the higher iso images but im not sure if thats a product of the film effect, i've set the camera to Chrome.

Another from my cheap and cheerful Takumar. Sometimes you go out looking for a picture that tells a story. Other times, you can't help making a social comment just by showing things as they are. This was one of the latter. I was really just doing some test shots and saw some nice light...

I don't personally take photos of homeless people when out and about. I think there's a fine line between drawing attention to a social problem, versus just photographing unfortunate people who don't want to be there and can't go anywhere private to escape. But I won't Photoshop them out either...so here we are, social comment and all...!

Two sides of Oxford
by David Hallett, on Flickr

DSCF1123nik by Robert Bell, on Flickr
RBYVud

That's very nice Sir, well seen and well presented.(y)

George.

Another from my cheap and cheerful Takumar. Sometimes you go out looking for a picture that tells a story. Other times, you can't help making a social comment just by showing things as they are. This was one of the latter. I was really just doing some test shots and saw some nice light...

I don't personally take photos of homeless people when out and about. I think there's a fine line between drawing attention to a social problem, versus just photographing unfortunate people who don't want to be there and can't go anywhere private to escape. But I won't Photoshop them out either...so here we are, social comment and all...!

Two sides of Oxford

Heartless as it may sound, my eye was actually drawn to the lady with her arms out. I didn't even spot the tent until you mentioned it :( However, in my mind that means the image works regardless.

Heartless as it may sound, my eye was actually drawn to the lady with her arms out. I didn't even spot the tent until you mentioned it :( However, in my mind that means the image works regardless.
No, that's the idea. Insofar as there is an idea, which is not much :D. First, tourists, enjoying sunny Oxford. Then, what is that tent doing there? Finally the careful observer is rewarded with its owner, not-quite-out of shot but visually disregarded... If it works in different ways for different people, that's all the better to me. if you can only read a picture one way, it's probably not that interesting.

No, that's the idea. Insofar as there is an idea, which is not much :D. First, tourists, enjoying sunny Oxford. Then, what is that tent doing there? Finally the careful observer is rewarded with its owner, not-quite-out of shot but visually disregarded... If it works in different ways for different people, that's all the better to me. if you can only read a picture one way, it's probably not that interesting.

Again, didn't spot the owner. That's what I love about street photography, or indeed any shots with people in...You can make up a story.

Has anyone here moved to a Fuji X camera from Nikon D750? What are the main differences, disadvantages you immediately noticed? Any advantages besides size/weight? I've heard some of the lenses are gorgeous

The Fuji system is great, for me the big stand out is really just the crop sensor vs full frame sensor.

It's been a while since I sold my X-T1 kit due it just not being what I needed at the time, but I'm now back in the fray with an X-T2 and I'm delighted with it. I think everything I wasn't happy with on the X-T1 has been addressed on the X-T2. Primarily, with the improved sensor, massively improved AF, additional memory card slot, the joystick, more responsive controls and the improved side flaps. I had been using an X100T, but now that I've got the awesome 23mm f/2 WR, I'm questioning whether I'm really going to use it at all.

As with the X-T1, I've already customised the controls with some strategically placed blobs of Sugru. Now, I can easily activate the AF-L, AE-L buttons and joystick without fumbling. Also, I've formed a little protective ridge around the dioptre wheel as it was being displaced too easily in my camera bag.

As well as the 23mm f/2 WR, I've also bought the 35mm f/2 WR despite already owning the 35mm f/1.4 which was my favourite Fuji lens. The AF speeds with the two f/2 lenses is incredible and I'm used to shooting Nikon DSLRs!

What do you find massively improved with regards to AF?

a few from Kings College, Cambridge today with the x-t2 and 23 1.4. One problem ive just had is with the export from lightroom with colours being over saturated. Im setup and and calibrated to use LR with the adobe RGB colour space rather than sRGB and the camera set to Adobe RGB. Now in LR everything looks fine but exporting a Jpeg to sRGB seems to produce over saturated images, from my D750 its all fine, i just get this overblown effect from the x-t2 files. See below for the stained glass window, i had to dial the saturation right back in LR before the export to get the colours less radioactive! Anyway, other than that the camera seemed to handle the darker areas of the chapel quite well, there is some noise on the higher iso images but im not sure if thats a product of the film effect, i've set the camera to Chrome.

A very nice set Ashley.

I've noticed similar issues with over-saturation and, like you, have had to dial things back a little in some cases.

Two sides of Oxford

Thats nice Dave I'm another one who hadn't noticed the owner.

This candid street style shot taken at Canterbury Kent UK kinda just fell into place. I noticed the elderly gentleman walking towards me and then noticed the younger guy a short distance behind him and thought the two kinda linked together.

X-T1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/320th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Older And Younger-03085 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking.,(y):fuji:

George.

Like this George the two go well together.

An absolute corker Graham. Lovely colours and composition.

Had a wee peek at the rest of your stuff on Flickr, my kind of photography!
Just took a look too and I agree, great stuff. I have a lot of respect for people who do landscape well. It's easy to find somewhere beuatiful, but takes skill to compose and arrange nature in a way thats pleasing to the eye.

(not sure on the white borders though ;))

What do you find massively improved with regards to AF?

It's been a while since I shot with the X-T1, but I do recall I felt it wasn't anywhere near a match for my Nikons. That said, back then I didn't have the two new f/2 primes so I can't really give you an objective argument, but the X-T2 AF gives me confidence especially with the wide spread of phase detect AF points and the eye detect AF functionality.

I haven't found any such issue with the XT-1, after coming from a D800E. I find it keeps up with my needs just fine. I never use face detection, let alone eye detect. Just good ol' reliable single point AF, like I've used with any other camera I've owned. I can tell you though, that the XT-1 is a LOT faster than the Xpro-1. In almost every way. The XT-2 is almost certainly faster again, but the XT-1 is no slouch by any means.

It's been a while since I shot with the X-T1, but I do recall I felt it wasn't anywhere near a match for my Nikons. That said, back then I didn't have the two new f/2 primes so I can't really give you an objective argument, but the X-T2 AF gives me confidence especially with the wide spread of phase detect AF points and the eye detect AF functionality.
I may be making this up, but I seem to remember that having face/eye detection turned on means it only uses the contrast detection...

Nice shots with well-processed tones. An under-rated lens technically; however I can't gel with the focal length. But you obviously did!

Thanks for the comment :) I have both 18mm f2 and 35mm f2. Both is fantastic lens, if I ever only allow 1 lens I will choose the 35mm f2 similar for focus speed and good usable range. The 18mm f2 is a interesting lens because i get a effective 27mm ish focal range on the XT1 and that lens can get a very close focus for some creative effect. Something my Nikon D3 and a mid range can't do. The 18mm is perfect for street shots, I do admit sometimes I prefer the 35mm just to have that distance rather then in your face type of shot.

Since I get the fuji system, I shoot alot more on B&W stuff and I like the Fuji classic chrome tone as well.

The EXIF data on my photo is missing, it didn't show the equipment i use on flickr. Need to check LR setting and replace the images. Make Fuji pround by showing the camera model and lens :)

Back