The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hi all,

It's been a while since I tuned in to this thread. I'm shooting weddings 100% with Fuji now but can't say I'm overly at home with the AF with moving subjects. I'm also finding AF in low light to be slow at times, I've probably been spoiled with Nikon in that respect. Otherwise, I'm loving the Fujis, and the lenses are particularly good.

Here's one from Saturday's wedding in the centre of Lincoln. The lad in the red coat made the shot for me...

NJsp3wms by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

Hi all,

It's been a while since I tuned in to this thread. I'm shooting weddings 100% with Fuji now but can't say I'm overly at home with the AF with moving subjects. I'm also finding AF in low light to be slow at times, I've probably been spoiled with Nikon in that respect. Otherwise, I'm loving the Fujis, and the lenses are particularly good.

Moving subject can be tricky to shoot on my XT1. I tried that on my 14months little girl. The 18mm f2 you can forget about it, the 35mm f2 is slightly better but still not much joy. Predictable movement is ok, unpredictable movement I have a hard time nailing the focus.

I got no problem with my Nikon D3 in that aspect.

I don't like to take pictures of the homeless generally but this seen was rather moving because he was asleep and i didn't think it would harm.

DSCF11491 by Robert Bell, on Flickr

Update: looking at this again maybe it needs a crop what do you think? I like the space around him on the pc monitor. On the phone he's lost.

Last edited:
I don't like to take pictures of the homeless generally but this seen was rather moving because he was asleep and i didn't think it would harm.

DSCF11491 by Robert Bell, on Flickr

Update: looking at this again maybe it needs a crop what do you think? I like the space around him on the pc monitor. On the phone he's lost.

It's a great image. I personally won't ever take pictures of anyone homeless, I leave them their dignity, but if they can't be recognized I guess it's ok. It's out there, it is reality. This one would make a great backing for an anti-homeless campaign poster for example.

Technically, I would probably cut in a little tighter, and have him off centre, crop in from the right, there's some dead space that side that isn't adding anything. Maybe constrain crop, and just above the dark shadow to the front

Last edited:
I hope you didn't go down there, though I've sen blokes on it. I'm not convinced that it is securely fixed!!!

Just sent you a PM about tomorrow. Have you got it?

Moving subject can be tricky to shoot on my XT1. I tried that on my 14months little girl. The 18mm f2 you can forget about it, the 35mm f2 is slightly better but still not much joy. Predictable movement is ok, unpredictable movement I have a hard time nailing the focus.

I got no problem with my Nikon D3 in that aspect.

I'm not using an X-T1, it's an X-T2. Supposedly a better camera for AF. I don't think my subjects are moving unpredictably, generally towards me at a walking pace.

For sure a Nikon pro body is better, just hoping I can get the Fuji working to an acceptable level.

I'm not using an X-T1, it's an X-T2. Supposedly a better camera for AF. I don't think my subjects are moving unpredictably, generally towards me at a walking pace.

For sure a Nikon pro body is better, just hoping I can get the Fuji working to an acceptable level.

I haven't tried the XT2 to say it is fast focus or not. I guess the lens plays a big part in this too. If someone is walking towards me I can shoot with my XT1 without a problem. Unpredictable running towards me like my 14month girl, my XT1 and my 35mm f2 struggle to focus fast. My camera and lens is using the latest firmware and is also set to high performance mode too.

I kind of admit I can't shoot my running baby with the camera. When she grow older, it will be easier.

It's a great image. I personally won't ever take pictures of anyone homeless, I leave them their dignity, but if they can't be recognized I guess it's ok. It's out there, it is reality. This one would make a great backing for an anti-homeless campaign poster for example.

Technically, I would probably cut in a little tighter, and have him off centre, crop in from the right, there's some dead space that side that isn't adding anything. Maybe constrain crop, and just above the dark shadow to the front
Cheers

Yeah I did try the crop with him on the thirds I didn't like it. I'll have a play later.

"Excellent" bit of work Sir, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.
Thanks George very kind of you.

Wondeful light; such a peaceful shot.

Cheers Stephen

An absolute corker Graham. Lovely colours and composition.

Had a wee peek at the rest of your stuff on Flickr, my kind of photography!

Thanks Brian very kind of you to say so.

That is fantastic! Multiple lead in lines / streaks, nice colours, great silhouette :)

Thanks Mate.

Stunning matey! (y)

Cheers Alan

what lens are you using? i found the 16-55 f2.8 to be spot on for tracking moving subjects (child running straight at me).

I'm no expert in subject tracking, but I understand that the older Fuji lenses such as this are not optimised for the speed of focus capable by the latest bodies.

Correct, the red XF zoom lenses are supposed to be the faster focusing lenses.
I find no problems at all focusing, even with my f2.0 prime lenses.

I agree. It's a good shot, and the fact that the person can't be identified makes a big difference. But I like the centered composition. Maybe just lose a bit all around so the bricks go right to the top and bottom? It would make it a bit simpler, structurally speaking.

Had a weekend in Hull. Managed to have a walk round one of the ( Albert, I think ) docks, and take a quick bunch of pics on a foggy Sunday.

Docks1.jpg Broadcast.jpg Light rise.jpg Lord line.jpg Burnt posts.jpg

I have a couple of funny quirks going on.
Firstly I have just started shooting in compressed raw (instead of uncompressed) and now when I go to import in LR the preview thumbnail pane docent show pictures, but it will show the picture when I click on it and expand it?
Any ideas?
Im a CC subscriber so I'm the latest version of LR.

Secondly I've noticed that sometime when I shoot a bracket exposure the info panel in LR will show one of the photos at a different focal length to the rest, usually approx a 1mm longer.
As far as I can tell they are the same focal length.
Its no real problem just wondering if any one else has noticed the same feeling.

Bags of character there, George. Nicely done. And I was amused to see that the arm of the law is indeed a little too long for his sleeves :D

Thank you Sir, much appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

I have it set to multi and it generally over exposes by up to 2/3 stop for my liking. Out doors shots have regularly blown high lights. Not massively but it is there. I would just like to set the default to my liking while leaving the dial on zero.

I'd try experimenting with the metering modes first, @mickledore and I were shooting the same scene on Saturdat, but our cameras were on different modes, resulting in very different shutter speeds (both of us were on Aperture Priority with identical lenses set to the same aperture), worth a trial?

Having a proper play with the XT2 after getting very used to the XPro2. Its blindingly easy to use and the AF is absolutely brilliant! I don't use AF on the XPro2 so hadn't really noticed too much the speed difference but as I've been filming on the XT2 the AF has really been tested and I must say I'm very impressed! It isn't going to win any awards for nailing focus pulls with its built in algorithms but it's night and day better than the XT1 and is no doubt going to serve me well.

I have it set to multi and it generally over exposes by up to 2/3 stop for my liking. Out doors shots have regularly blown high lights. Not massively but it is there. I would just like to set the default to my liking while leaving the dial on zero.
That's a strange one it generally under rather than over exposes from my experience.

Great images and posts here presently, very inspirational....!!

I really must blow the dust off the XT1 and newly purchased XF18-55mm and get out and shoot/shoot/shoot, the winter weather doesn't inspire me photographically.

:(

I know the X-T10 is a (slightly) different camera, but in contrasty daylight conditions, I'm usually operating at -1/3 to -2/3 on the street to protect the highlights. After dark and indoors I find I need to boost it a little.

I know the X-T10 is a (slightly) different camera, but in contrasty daylight conditions, I'm usually operating at -1/3 to -2/3 on the street to protect the highlights. After dark and indoors I find I need to boost it a little.
Me too. I Move the comp a lot that's why I love the xt1 so much. I'm at least -2/3 generally but i like my street shots on the dark side.

Last edited:
I do it the fuji way, everything auto except aperture hahahaha. Honesly I only use auto iso when light is getting rubbish and I want to concentrate on shooting then finding the right iso.

I do it the fuji way, everything auto except aperture hahahaha. Honesly I only use auto iso when light is getting rubbish and I want to concentrate on shooting then finding the right iso.
This is basically when I use auto ISO. Although I have multiple auto brackets set up such as 200-3200 which is a great range for day time if you've not got the time to mess about. 800-6400 for indoors if the lights all over the place and then 3200-12800 for black and white night time photography. The latter seems to add a nice grain which is always a bonus!

Back