The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So which is best? Left or right?

ConesCones

Yes??? :whistle:

I prefer the blues (eyes, shirt) and color in the pine cones on the left, but I prefer the smoother, less red skin tones on the right.

@Ms_Tex here you go, had a quick mooch round the beach and town. For me this 50-230mm is just what I want, Light great to carry and not to bad on sharpness, None of these have been sharpened at all.

Testing full zoom by David Ore, on Flickr

On the mobile by David Ore, on Flickr

On the beach by David Ore, on Flickr

Reflections by David Ore, on Flickr

Full zoom West pier by David Ore, on Flickr

Paddle round the pier by David Ore, on Flickr

Having a read by David Ore, on Flickr

Great set of images Sir, with #4, #5, & #7 being my fav's. Keep up to good work.(y)

George.

@Dave70D Very nice! Those photos make me consider the 55-200 mm. I know my current tripod would like it better than the 50-140 mm. I should just rent the two lenses I'm looking at/thinking about at the same time and compare them side-by-side in all the situations I think I might want to use them.

The 55-200mm is an "Excellent" lens Ma'am, certainly one of my fav's both optically & mechanically.(y)

George.

I have a new conundrum for you all to chew the fat about.

SD cards for the XT2. Yes, I can read the manual. Fuji require me to spend out on something like a SDXC class3 64GB card FOR EACH SLOT. I have no doubt that these are very wonderful pieces of silicon engineering indeed, but why the hell would I NEED 64Gb ? Even for 30 minutes of video filming in 4k I bet a 16GB card would stow it away in just a few of its pockets and not even open the rucksack on its back. Just what is the requirement of this huge memory for?

Now, before you jump in with what you have been suckered into going and buying. I had an 8GB card in my little point and squirt, I was suckered into buying it, because in reality I expect a 1GB would have covered everything I ever did on it. (I still use it and have stuck a 4GB card that was lying around in it, some little Kingston horror wearing a blue uniform, must be RAF). I haven't had the camera more than a week, and needed something to shove in the slot to play with. It turns out that this 30MB/s old school SDHC class 1 card works perfectly. I even did some video of geese coming over, badly because I haven't worked out how to alter the exposure in video mode yet, but it recorded perfectly, without any hold ups or hitches and the video clips have downloaded perfectly. Maybe had I splashed out £150 on fancy cards I could have saved myself 2 or 3 minutes while they transferred from the card to the confuser, possibly not because the cockroach drive in my confuser is likely a bottleneck anyway.

Any thoughts on cards? Anyone had similar experiences? Anyone had any glitches from my approach? I am tempted to just buy another one of these, or maybe the smallest capacity of the higher class card available for the second slot. Currently I am just shooting onto the one card. A BIG SHOOT for me would be maybe 200 shots - hence why i say, what do I need all that wasted capacity for? Perhaps there is a technical reason I don't know.

64gb does seem a little excessive for most usage. I'm surprised Fuji state a suggested capacity at all. With my crude maths, I would have thought that shooting Raw + fine jpeg, that's going to get you close to 2000 images per card.

Shooting 4k, I think that equate to about 85 minutes of footage per card.

Speed will play a big part if you start to fill the buffer. After that, to me it's all about reliability. If what you have is working for you, then I can't see any reason to rush out and change.

Thanks Gadsby West. I am a considered shooter, which is why I don't shoot loads and loads. If you shoot 2000 pictures, that is 2000 pictures you have to wade through afterwards, not just filling up card space, but filling up confuser drive too! I'll do a test on something of how many shots I can do in boost mode, high motordrive, before it gums it. I think it will probably be about 12 - 15, which is three times the capacity I need. I still shoot at the peak of the action, I did with the D4s, which gave me soemthing like 125 shots before buffer jam. I think the most I fired in a burst, thinking about what I have had to look at on the lightbox, was 6. Even then they were edited down to 2 or 3. - had I shot 15 I would have just thrown away more! It seems daft to me to start to shoot too early and then keep going past the peak. That is why I say I still shoot like I used to have to in roll camera days and consider the shots before pressing the tit.

I'll look for a good 8Gb or 16GB at most. This is when I find they don't make them anymore, and that is the reason for the Fuji requirement! :D

64gb does seem a little excessive for most usage. I'm surprised Fuji state a suggested capacity at all. With my crude maths, I would have thought that shooting Raw + fine jpeg, that's going to get you close to 2000 images per card. .

I have 2 x 64Gb cards in my X-T2, bought on an Amazon deal - Sandisk Extreme Pro - 95Mb (I paid about £28 each)

Shooting RAW (uncrompressed) + Fine JPG is 979 shots per card

Shooting RAW (lossless crompressed) + Fine JPG is 1599 shots per card

But you need to check your RAW converter can handle Fuji RAW Loseless Compressed before committing to that option.

Normally I would shoot onto smaller cards, but with 2 card slots I run in Backup mode and just use the larger cards (as I think it is extremely unlikely that both cards will fail at the same time)

Quick question for XT2 users. Is there a momentary spot meter option? v On my Nikons I can assign a function button that when held will give me a spot meter reading regardless of what metering mode I'm in. When I let go, it's back to normal.

I have 2 x 64Gb cards in my X-T2, bought on an Amazon deal - Sandisk Extreme Pro - 95Mb (I paid about £28 each)

Shooting RAW (uncrompressed) + Fine JPG is 979 shots per card

Shooting RAW (lossless crompressed) + Fine JPG is 1599 shots per card

But you need to check your RAW converter can handle Fuji RAW Loseless Compressed before committing to that option.

Normally I would shoot onto smaller cards, but with 2 card slots I run in Backup mode and just use the larger cards (as I think it is extremely unlikely that both cards will fail at the same time)

Precisely my point - EACH CARD is about 5x the total capacity I need and can ever see me needing. If I do need more capacity at some point in the future, I can always buy another, bigger, faster card - I like the idea of 95MB/s ones though, I'll look to see if there is a smaller one at that speed, but I will buy it from a SHOP, not that bloody American website that is trying to take out all the independent shops. I refuse to patronise them.

Quick question for XT2 users. Is there a momentary spot meter option? v On my Nikons I can assign a function button that when held will give me a spot meter reading regardless of what metering mode I'm in. When I let go, it's back to normal.

Good one!
I have seen you can turn the knob on the top to get spot metering.

@Dave70D Very nice! Those photos make me consider the 55-200 mm. I know my current tripod would like it better than the 50-140 mm. I should just rent the two lenses I'm looking at/thinking about at the same time and compare them side-by-side in all the situations I think I might want to use them.

You are welcome :)

Great set of images Sir, with #4, #5, & #7 being my fav's. Keep up to good work.(y)

George.

Thank you George for the kind words :)

Precisely my point - EACH CARD is about 5x the total capacity I need and can ever see me needing. If I do need more capacity at some point in the future, I can always buy another, bigger, faster card - I like the idea of 95MB/s ones though, I'll look to see if there is a smaller one at that speed, but I will buy it from a SHOP, not that bloody American website that is trying to take out all the independent shops. I refuse to patronise them.
SanDisk makes a 16GB 95mb/s card, the Extreme Pro. That's what I use in my X-T1. The only time I came close to filling that card (RAW + fine jpg) is when I spent an entire day - 6 hours - photographing puffins. It handled 10-15 shot bursts just fine.

SanDisk makes a 16GB 95mb/s card, the Extreme Pro. That's what I use in my X-T1. The only time I came close to filling that card (RAW + fine jpg) is when I spent an entire day - 6 hours - photographing puffins. It handled 10-15 shot bursts just fine.

PERFECT - thank you guys.

+1
I use these cards and have for some time without issues. I use the 32gb generally, used it on Canon 7D2 as well firing many shots at a time in RAW & fine jpeg and they cope very well.

I use 32GB cards in my X-T2, purely because when I bought them, they were only a couple of quid more expensive than 16GB cards. Never got close to filling them, even on a fortnight's holiday but then again, I only shoot JPEGs.

In the past, I've been an advocate of smaller cards since that means fewer shots lost should a card be lost or become corrupted but now I've got used to twin slots, I use slot 2 as a backup.

No beautiful ladies to photograph unfortunately. This will have to do :

RAW1-40.jpg

Please Note :- This shot has actually been posted before and it was not taken on a Fuji-X camera. Most people on this thread know of my love for the Fuji X-T1 & X-T2 units and this shot describes one of the reasons why the system feels just right for me.

I've been lucky enough to have owned and still own a copy of every Higher end Nikon SLR film camera from a Nikon F onwards. But without a doubt the unit I've liked using most of all is a Motor Driven Nikon FE2 it just feels right.
Is it any wonder then why I like using a Fuji X-T1 and now the X-T2 units so much, probably more than any other current digital camera. The similarity to my FE2 is uncanny and the handling is just as good. Just thought I'd do a shot of them together.:)

In case anybody is interested its just a simple product type shot taken using three studio flash heads, each with a largish soft box fitted and against a white background.
Nikon FE2 And Fuji X-T1-802863 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking.,(y):fuji:

George.

Last edited:
Please Note :- This shot has actually been posted before and it was not taken on a Fuji-X camera. Most people on this thread know of my love for the Fuji X-T1 & X-T2 units and this shot describes one of the reasons why the system feels just right for me.

I've been lucky enough to have owned and still own a copy of every Higher end Nikon SLR film camera from a Nikon F onwards. But without a doubt the unit I've liked using most of all is a Motor Driven Nikon FE2 it just feels right.
Is it any wonder then why I like using a Fuji X-T1 and now the X-T2 units so much, probably more than any other current digital camera. The similarity to my FE2 is uncanny and the handling is just as good. Just thought I'd do a shot of them together.:)

George.
I once owned a first-iteration FM, and without a doubt it was the best film camera I ever had. Sold it to a mate, but he won't let me have it back. :(

I don't know if it's just me imaginin' it, but this forum/thread sure has become extra lively and been gettin' a lot of good input recently.

Its really great in my book to see some new names on the thread, so for the likes of :- @wardy07 @GTG @Lensflare @Ms_Tex @Dave70D @erstem (my apologies if I've missed anyone) "WELCOME" good to have you around.(y)

George.

I don't know if it's just me imaginin' it, but this forum/thread sure has become extra lively and been gettin' a lot of good input recently.

Its really great in my book to see some new names on the thread, so for the likes of :- @wardy07 @GTG @Lensflare @Ms_Tex @Dave70D @erstem (my apologies if I've missed anyone) "WELCOME" good to have you around.(y)

George.
Thank you George, that's a really nice gesture and much appreciated.
I'm really enjoying this thread, and also the Fuji system - some way to go to get fully familiar with it but early signs are excellent as I fully expected they would be.
In the future I intend to add a X-T2 (or who knows, maybe a '3') to my armoury with a 100-400 lens as I have a keen interest in wildlife and birds.
Having said that, I'm intending to widen my horizons and take on areas which I have only lightly dabbled in before.
The future Is definitely Fuji for me, no regrets whatsoever in changing from dslr.

Chris

Last edited:

Nice. I had a frustrating day trying to get similar bee shots in the park. Brought my daughter for a cycle up there and planned to do some macro while she was in the playground. Even though it was a warm summery day, when up close to the flowers the breeze was just wrecking my shots. Will have to go through them and see if I have any keepers at all

Reactions: GTG
I used an FM2 and FE2, both with MD12s bolted on Then sold the F|M2 and bought an FA and MD15 - all three of these cameras had the famed 'honeycomb' titanium shutter blades. I gave the FE2 away a couple of years ago, in its original box with the polystyrene and manual, yellow warranty papers, the lot. I still have an MD12 kicking around in a box upstairs if it is any good to anyone.

That is precisely the reason I plumped for the XT2 and grip as well - it is more natural than scrolling wheels.

crow decoy.web.jpg

16-55, crow is handheld and the camera is at f4 with a 1/15th - first shot in anger with the new outfit. UV resin being used to create eyes on a crow decoy.

....oooo, new X-T20 firmware (link), I wonder what joys it will hold :D

lol, okay last one :)

By the way that was a secret poll to see which works better for me - On1 RAW vs Lightroom - the left one (and below) was On1

In this version I've taken the eyes down a little and reduced the reddening of the skin and smoothed a little.

Cones v3
by John Norton, on Flickr

View attachment 107824

16-55, crow is handheld and the camera is at f4 with a 1/15th - first shot in anger with the new outfit. UV resin being used to create eyes on a crow decoy.

You handheld a crow and took a photo of it? Genius! :D ;)

Edit: missed the decoy bit *facepalm* :D

In case anybody is interested its just a simple product type shot taken using three studio flash heads, each with a largish soft box fitted and against a white background.

George.

It's almost like Fuji did their homework ;) I'm very glad they did too!

lol, okay last one :)

By the way that was a secret poll to see which works better for me - On1 RAW vs Lightroom - the left one (and below) was On1

In this version I've taken the eyes down a little and reduced the reddening of the skin and smoothed a little.

Cones v3
by John Norton, on Flickr

I tried On1 before and couldn't get along with it. Whatever works for you personally though is the one to stick with.

I have a new conundrum for you all to chew the fat about.

SD cards for the XT2. Yes, I can read the manual. Fuji require me to spend out on something like a SDXC class3 64GB card FOR EACH SLOT. I have no doubt that these are very wonderful pieces of silicon engineering indeed, but why the hell would I NEED 64Gb ? Even for 30 minutes of video filming in 4k I bet a 16GB card would stow it away in just a few of its pockets and not even open the rucksack on its back. Just what is the requirement of this huge memory for?

Now, before you jump in with what you have been suckered into going and buying. I had an 8GB card in my little point and squirt, I was suckered into buying it, because in reality I expect a 1GB would have covered everything I ever did on it. (I still use it and have stuck a 4GB card that was lying around in it, some little Kingston horror wearing a blue uniform, must be RAF). I haven't had the camera more than a week, and needed something to shove in the slot to play with. It turns out that this 30MB/s old school SDHC class 1 card works perfectly. I even did some video of geese coming over, badly because I haven't worked out how to alter the exposure in video mode yet, but it recorded perfectly, without any hold ups or hitches and the video clips have downloaded perfectly. Maybe had I splashed out £150 on fancy cards I could have saved myself 2 or 3 minutes while they transferred from the card to the confuser, possibly not because the cockroach drive in my confuser is likely a bottleneck anyway.

Any thoughts on cards? Anyone had similar experiences? Anyone had any glitches from my approach? I am tempted to just buy another one of these, or maybe the smallest capacity of the higher class card available for the second slot. Currently I am just shooting onto the one card. A BIG SHOOT for me would be maybe 200 shots - hence why i say, what do I need all that wasted capacity for? Perhaps there is a technical reason I don't know.

In my X-T20 I have a 32GB Sandisk and does a good job. Once I get the X-T2 that will have two 32GB Sandisk.

A few from my frustrating trip out to the park earlier. Macro just wasn't going to work out, so I removed the rings and just shot some wider shots with the 35mm. You can tell in the first there's a fair bit of breeze. When in closer this gets magnified along with everything else, may as well be a hurricane :D

Pollination by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

_DSF9747 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

About the best I did get using the rings, the bee was well behaved, again it was the breeze, everytime I clicked the shutter I swear the wind picked up:
Bumble by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

A few from my frustrating trip out to the park earlier. Macro just wasn't going to work out, so I removed the rings and just shot some wider shots with the 35mm. You can tell in the first there's a fair bit of breeze. When in closer this gets magnified along with everything else, may as well be a hurricane :D

About the best I did get using the rings, the bee was well behaved, again it was the breeze, everytime I clicked the shutter I swear the wind picked up:

Great set Keith, love the last one.

Great set Keith, love the last one.

Cheers, wish I'd gotten better though. I must have taken 200 shots, these were the best. There will be days like these, I think the more I try plan to go shoot the worst results I come back with :D

So I thought people might find this shot interesting, if only as a demonstration of how X-Transformer can get detail out of a 16MP X-Trans file without strange worminess and so on. The other thing we can learn from it is that at the long end, the 18-55 zoom isn't quite as sharp in the corners as it is in the centre even at f/8, although it's certainly no slouch.

As others have said though, at the wide end it's amazing - I've made a 40"x30" mono print from it that I was entirely happy with (and so was the person on whose wall it hangs!). That's the only real problem with the 18mm f/2 prime - a very decent lens - the zoom is just too good!

Cleadale evening
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Cheers, wish I'd gotten better though. I must have taken 200 shots, these were the best. There will be days like these, I think the more I try plan to go shoot the worst results I come back with :D

Wish I could get out, we have two more days of rain :( I might try my Raynox 150 on the 50-230mm tomorrow for indoor shot.

So I thought people might find this shot interesting, if only as a demonstration of how X-Transformer can get detail out of a 16MP X-Trans file without strange worminess and so on. The other thing we can learn from it is that at the long end, the 18-55 zoom isn't quite as sharp in the corners as it is in the centre even at f/8, although it's certainly no slouch.

As others have said though, at the wide end it's amazing - I've made a 40"x30" mono print from it that I was entirely happy with (and so was the person on whose wall it hangs!). That's the only real problem with the 18mm f/2 prime - a very decent lens - the zoom is just too good!

Cleadale evening

A beautiful photo Dave, lovely colours (y)

I think you've done well Keith if the wind was that bad. #3 is a cracker

I think you've done well Keith if the wind was that bad. #3 is a cracker

Thanks, I just missed focus by a teensy bit on it, but I'll take it, the only decent shot I got macro-wise :)

Cleadale evening

Very nice Dave, lovely crisp landscape. The 18-55 certainly looks decent.

Last edited:
Back