The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I sold my D750 to buy into Fuji.
Got the XT2 and loving it to bits.
Don't get me wrong, the D750 was a great camera with wonderful high iso performence but I just connect more with Fuji.
It has more soul if that makes sense ?

Trying to post an image without success.
Keeps saying security issue ???
Press back button and try again ?
Is there a restriction on image size ?

Don't get me wrong, the D750 was a great camera with wonderful high iso performence but I just connect more with Fuji.

I switched from a D800E and some very nice lenses to the XT-1 and I have never felt like it was a bad idea. I miss some of the lenses, but I've never missed the body. And I'd used it for almost 5 years - bought when they first landed

Very nice portrait btw ^^

Off out to test my 10-24 properly tomorrow, lets hope the sun stays out! I'm already planning the next few purchases of course.... I have a 55-200 on the radar and I want to have a play with the extension tubes. Just need to shift this 16-55 brick to fund them first haha :runaway:

I would love that 16-55, no hope of me finding the funds anytime soon though. I could see me using that about 99% of the time, I don't mind a bit of weight. I used to use the D800 with a 150 macro that weighed over a kilo! The combined weight was just over 2kg. That was tough, trying to manual focus hand-held trying to capture bugs. Not something you'd carry about to use all day of course. Weight was one of the reasons for me switching to Fuji, but I think the cameras are so tidy and light, a slightly heavy lens is very manageable.

Last edited:
A few from the week from me:

XT-1 + 35mm f/1.4 + macro tube. Close up of a woodwind instrument I bought in Turkey a few years back
Turkish Mey on Yellow by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

First blackberries (or brambles) I spotted in the hedge back of the garden -
First Blackberries Aug 2017 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Just trying out the low light performance at the cinema on Friday, I was able to transfer the image to my phone and upload to FB within seconds, pretty cool that. We saw Captain underpants btw :D
At the movies by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Using the macro tube again, found this wayward caterpillar on the garden table, brave ... with all the birds about:
Lostpillar by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

And finally, a busted snail shell, birds already got to this one:
Busted shell by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

For anyone interested, who uses Flickr - I was bored so set up a Fuji X group if you'd like to join: https://www.flickr.com/groups/fujixunited/

Last edited:

XT-1 + 35mm f/1.4 + macro tube. Close up of a woodwind instrument I bought in Turkey a few years back

Just trying out the low light performance at the cinema on Friday, I was able to transfer the image to my phone and upload to FB within seconds, pretty cool that. We saw Captain underpants btw :D

Using the macro tube again, found this wayward caterpillar on the garden table, brave ... with all the birds about:

For anyone interested, who uses Flickr - I was bored so set up a Fuji X group if you'd like to join: https://www.flickr.com/groups/fujixunited/
Some really nice shots here Keith, particularly like the instrument one as it unusual.

As a few will know, I just bought into a Fuji system as well and came from Canon DSLR. Having carried Canon 1 series body with 600 f4 lens in the past, this is now like a feather in my hands.
I went for an X-T10 body and spent my cash on decent glass to go with it and although I'm very much a Fuji novice, I'm sure the transition will be so worthwhile and very rewarding.
My enthusiasm to get out more now has returned and I don't see a return to the big heavy monsters returning anytime soon.

I love the quality of the Fuji products, and the picture quality, well amazing doesn't really do it justice!

How are you finding macro on Fuji? Seems to be one of the systems few weaknesses, perhaps the 80mm will help. That said the only lens I truly considered macro was the M-P65 on canon so I guess we'll see.

By the way I'd consider putting the group link in your signature, it'll get lost in this thread in a day.

Great idea, just joined but nothing to put up yet but I will contribute once I'm up and running.

The 16-55 is ideal for me. I had my first job yesterday, it was a bit of a struggle, getting the camera to my eye hurts, but I loosened up as the day went on. Sat in a hide with the shooter, hoping for pigeons to come in on his decoys - we sat there all day, in two different hides, for a brace of pigeons! At least it didn't rain and the 16mm end is perfectly fine for shooting people at about 4 feet away without getting totally distorted. Superb. The little flash you get with the XT2 (which I didn't know about until I opened the box!) is great for just filling in and giving a catchlight, or in the hide, actually illuminating all the shadows. It is not a main flash, but as it is only the size of a matchbox, it won't be left behind.
The card is still in the camera because I got home knackered. I'll download later today, when my shoulder and side has stopped aching from yesterday. I think the move to Fuji was a wise one, I couldn't have used the D4s and 16-35 yesterday, I would, quite literally, not have been able to lift it to my eye with the extra weight.

Thank you George for the nice words, it was great to test out the X-T20 today, tomorrow I am trying the 50-230mm :)
I can't wait to see the results. I'm still on the fence about the telephoto I want (I still have nothing longer than the 16-55mm). I tried the 50-140mm and loved it for birds, but it gets pretty heavy after a couple of hours.

55-200 (80-300) is what I use.
It's very sharp, has a 4 stop stabiliser and is all metal and it doesnt weigh too much.
I wouldn't sell mine, for the price you can't buy a better zoom for your X body.

I can't wait to see the results. I'm still on the fence about the telephoto I want (I still have nothing longer than the 16-55mm). I tried the 50-140mm and loved it for birds, but it gets pretty heavy after a couple of hours.

As the weather is nice and sunny today, I will put some photos up later for you :)

Yes I like the layout of the dials on the X-T1 and have convinced myself now that it's the correct body to go for.
Lenses are another issue though, 18-55 f2.8-4 is a definite and maybe the 55-200 f3.5-4.8 so I've got some longer range options as well.
Watch this space, just getting funds together via the sales of my DSLR kit then Fuji here I come!

I can strongly recommend the 55-200, it may be that I have a very good one, but in my opinion it is one of the best performing Fuji lenses.

Image quality ahead of fancy gadgets perhaps. The APO construction is foremost.

The 16-55 is a stunning lens. The build quality is way ahead of the Nikon f2.8, which is a good lens, but the build quality is not as good as Fuji.

:agree:

Great set of images Sir, with some really nice colours. #1 & #2 would be my fav's.(y)

George.

Welcome to the Fuji fold Sir, "ENJOY".(y)

George.

The 16-55 is ideal for me. I had my first job yesterday, it was a bit of a struggle, getting the camera to my eye hurts, but I loosened up as the day went on. Sat in a hide with the shooter, hoping for pigeons to come in on his decoys - we sat there all day, in two different hides, for a brace of pigeons! At least it didn't rain and the 16mm end is perfectly fine for shooting people at about 4 feet away without getting totally distorted. Superb. The little flash you get with the XT2 (which I didn't know about until I opened the box!) is great for just filling in and giving a catchlight, or in the hide, actually illuminating all the shadows. It is not a main flash, but as it is only the size of a matchbox, it won't be left behind.
The card is still in the camera because I got home knackered. I'll download later today, when my shoulder and side has stopped aching from yesterday. I think the move to Fuji was a wise one, I couldn't have used the D4s and 16-35 yesterday, I would, quite literally, not have been able to lift it to my eye with the extra weight.

That's a great bit of news Sir, glad your enjoying the Fooj set up.(y)

George.

I can strongly recommend the 55-200, it may be that I have a very good one, but in my opinion it is one of the best performing Fuji lenses.

:agree: 100% with that Sir.(y)

George.

Thanks, ordered one on Friday but missed the shipping time so it's coming on Tuesday along with the 10-24 I ordered yesterday...oops!

Does anyone on here use the 14mm prime? How does it fare, and how big is it, actually. I have seen pictures, but with little to compare it against size wise it is difficult to guage how it will pack.

Any pictures and info greatfully received.

Ooh, another thing. I find my shadows are very blocked up in my XT2 - any suggestions for the settings within to juggle to lift them a bit. I have it set to work as Provia standard (I think I have anyway!) I am still finding my way around and taking the manual book with me to refer to.....I have a memory like a sieve.

All hints and tips on how the Fuji likes to be set up welcome. I ONLY HAVE the Nikon processing program at the moment, so have to work in jpeg and just do curves tweaks in the Capture NX2 - IT IS ALL I HAVE, so no good telling me I need something else, just yet. That will have to come later and I have been suggested to get Capture One (but I hope I can buy it and get it on a |DVD, so I can load it again to another confuser. Downloads are not me - I haven't the feintest idea how you do the download thing for the camera and lenses. I am still trying to read about it so I can understand it.
Thanks.

Last edited:
How are you finding macro on Fuji? Seems to be one of the systems few weaknesses, perhaps the 80mm will help. That said the only lens I truly considered macro was the M-P65 on canon so I guess we'll see.

By the way I'd consider putting the group link in your signature, it'll get lost in this thread in a day.

It's just cheap macro rings I'm using, not a dedicated macro lens. It is a weakness for the system though, the best bet atm would be using a solid macro lens from another system and an adapter, as with macro you want to manual focus anyway. I've thought about hunting down a cheap used Nikon 60mm or similar. The 80mm macro will be sweet, but it'll be pricey too I imagine.

Great set of images Sir, with some really nice colours. #1 & #2 would be my fav's.(y)

George.

Great idea, just joined but nothing to put up yet but I will contribute once I'm up and running.

It can take time to get a group going, I did same when I shot with Nikon, started a D800E B&W group - it's still going and has 350 members. It's another place to drop your images if nothing else :)

Aye, I agree about adapting, I think the 80 will be good but stupidly overpriced.

I did consider just getting the MPE again but at the time flash was poor as well (thank you Godox for sorting that out) and it's still an expensive lens, I may well revisit reversing rings when I decide which size to adapt to

Does anyone on here use the 14mm prime? How does it fare, and how big is it, actually. I have seen pictures, but with little to compare it against size wise it is difficult to guage how it will pack.

Ooh, another thing. I find my shadows are very blocked up in my XT2 - any suggestions for the settings within to juggle to lift them a bit. I have it set to work as Provia standard (I think I have anyway!) I am still finding my way around and taking the manual book with me to refer to.....I have a memory like a sieve.

All hints and tips on how the Fuji likes to be set up welcome. I ONLY HAVE the Nikon processing program at the moment, so have to work in jpeg and just do curves tweaks in the Capture NX2 - IT IS ALL I HAVE, so no good telling me I need something else, just yet. That will have to come later and I have been suggested to get Capture One (but I hope I can buy it and get it on a |DVD, so I can load it again to another confuser. Downloads are not me - I haven't the feintest idea how you do the download thing for the camera and lenses. I am still trying to read about it so I can understand it.
Thanks.

The 14mm isn't much bigger than the 35mm 1.4 and looks kind of similar. It is a bit heavier, but still a very light lens. I've not personally used it so can't comment on the quality. Not heard anything bad about it though.

As for setting up the camera, I have the XT-1 but they are much of a muchness I guess. I set mine to shoot RAW + Fine Jpeg. What you are seeing on the LCD is the Jpeg either way. Tinker with the highlights/shadows setting for Jpeg. I have mine set at +1 for both, with NR at -2 and the rest just at 0.

Last edited:
DSCF0320 [50%].JPG
Just messing around with settings and stuff in the garden with my X-T10 & 35 f1.4 - I'm not sure if I got this right but this is straight out of the camera jpeg with no PP.
I think it's going to be a learning curve with me and Fuji but any help here is always welcome.

Fuji JPEGS are great straight out of the camera.
I think they are processed better than any other brand.
Yes, that was what got me to start looking & thinking about switching a while ago as they really do pop. I do shoot raw but sometimes I just want a simple life without messing too much.

I only shoot RAW when absolutely necessary.
80% of the time I don't need to due to already being very satisfied with Fuji JPEGS.
Exposure, colours, white balance are usually spot on.
The icing on the cake is the addition of Acros mono software built into XT2.

I'm the opposite, 99% of the time I shoot RAW. Well, I shoot RAW + Jpeg but it's the RAW files I process. Shooting Jpeg also allows you to zoom in further on cam to check for sharpness and details. If I shot Jpeg only I know I would end up in Lightroom either way, so may as well use the better file for processing.

My issue is indecision, I do like the jpegs but at the time of shooting I've no idea which to go for so stick to RAW so I can choose later, not so good for Acros though sadly

Shoot jpeg and raw.
Then process the raw file and compare it with the same jpeg to see if there is a significant difference.
It depends on how well taken the image was in the first place of course.

I shoot raw plus jpeg, but the jpeg file is just there, on the other card, as a backup. The card never leaves the camera but is reformatted when it's getting a bit full. Part of the enjoyment for me is "developing " the raw file.

Thanks.

Here is a quick shot of the 14 with the 18-55 and X-T2 for an idea of scale.

2017-08-06 13.21.16.jpg

It's been one of my favourite lenses over the past few years. At one point I sold mine and bought the 10-24 but changed back to the 14 again for the size and weight advantages. It also proved to be slightly sharper than the 10-24 in my testing of the two. Had a quick look on flickr and here are some shots from it.

Falkirk Wheel by barrysprout, on Flickr

Kelvingrove Skateboarding by barrysprout, on Flickr

Anstruther by barrysprout, on Flickr

Here is a quick shot of the 14 with the 18-55 and X-T2 for an idea of scale.

View attachment 107739

It's been one of my favourite lenses over the past few years. At one point I sold mine and bought the 10-24 but changed back to the 14 again for the size and weight advantages. It also proved to be slightly sharper than the 10-24 in my testing of the two. Had a quick look on flickr and here are some shots from it.

Falkirk Wheel by barrysprout, on Flickr

Kelvingrove Skateboarding by barrysprout, on Flickr

Anstruther by barrysprout, on Flickr
I really like my 10-24mm for the flexibility it affords, but there's no arguing with those shots. Just lovely.

14mm lens looks good.
Very sharp pics.
Is that about 21mm in 35mm terms ?

I really like my 10-24mm for the flexibility it affords, but there's no arguing with those shots. Just lovely.

Yeah, when I say the 14 is slightly sharper there is hardly anything in it and not noticeable for normal viewing. Certainly not enough difference to make a purchasing decision on, it really just comes down to size and weight vs flexibility of the zoom.

14mm lens looks good.
Very sharp pics.
Is that about 21mm in 35mm terms ?

Yes that's right.

Any pictures and info gratefully received.

The XF14mm is excellent, my 3rd favourite Fuji prime (after the 23F1.4 and the 90), its nice and compact and shares it's hood (and filter size) with the XF-18-55. Its very sharp and has next to no optical distortion. I have a 14mm album on flickr if you want to browse https://www.flickr.com/photos/89667368@N05/albums/72157643112473214/page2

Back