The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

personally I think the camera is just nicer to use with the battery grip.

George.

That's why I use one on the XT-1 :) It only adds one extra battery for that camera, and doesn't add anything outside of that really bar the portrait shutter, but I find it much more comfortable with it's attached. The XT-2 one is pricey, but as you point out you get a fair bit extra. I wonder if there will be any third party offerings at any point? For when I upgrade :D

I was actually only looking at it for ease of handling during portrait shoots. Might just wait for a third party one as I'm not much of a fast subject shooter. Sorry for all the questions but could someone recommend me a good sd card? I came from cf cards and used Kingston cards but I think there's more than one type of sd card.

I wonder if there will be any third party offerings at any point? For when I upgrade :D

That wouldn't surprise me one bit Sir, (y)

"The XT system is becoming a very popular choice of camera amongst enthusiast & pro togs alike, it also wouldn't surprise me if before too long there aren't some of the bigger brand name third party lenses for it too ie Sigma & Tamron etc etc"

George.

Last edited:
I was actually only looking at it for ease of handling during portrait shoots. Might just wait for a third party one as I'm not much of a fast subject shooter. Sorry for all the questions but could someone recommend me a good sd card? I came from cf cards and used Kingston cards but I think there's more than one type of sd card.

I only ever use sandisk and have never had any issue: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ex...e=UTF8&qid=1503695286&sr=8-5&keywords=sandisk

Is there any actual processing power in the xt2 grip or is it just a battery power thing? Obviously i know you need it for the improved performance, but what i'm getting at is it'd be nice to have the boost mode option without the grip, even if it means your single battery only lasts 10 mins...

Is there any actual processing power in the xt2 grip or is it just a battery power thing? Obviously i know you need it for the improved performance, but what i'm getting at is it'd be nice to have the boost mode option without the grip, even if it means your single battery only lasts 10 mins...

Not sure, I know the T1 has the 'High performance mode' which apparently boost start up and AF, I just leave it on all the time. I have 5 batteries for it and just keep replacing the one in the grip when needed. I would imagine the T2 sucks up a lot more battery in it's boost mode though

Last edited:

SD is standard SD, SDHC is High Capacity and XC is eXtra Capacity. I use (mere!) 90 MB/s SanDisk Extreme 32GB in my bodies - hold plenty of shots and are fast enough for my wants/needs.

Not a fan of battery grips. IMO, the joy of the X series is its small size and low mass - adding to either seems to defeat the object a bit!

No additional processing power

With no grip, boost mode improves AF speed (0.08s -> 0.06s) and EVF refresh (60fps -> 100 fps)

Add the grip and you get the above plus impovements in Shooting Intyerval, Shutter Time Lag, Backout Time and High Speed Continuous Shooting Framerate - with the exception of the latter the changes are fairly incremental

See here http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t2/features/page_06.html

Not a fan of battery grips. IMO, the joy of the X series is its small size and low mass - adding to either seems to defeat the object a bit!

:agree: IMO this applies to fat lenses as well :)

Well, yes but since I prefer to stick with the (excellent) Fuji XF lens family of zooms, I'm stuck with their bulk. Not that even they are bulky compared to their Nikon FF equivalents!

Last edited:
Well I've been an' gawn an' done it, I'm now 100% Fuji. :)

I'm now completely DSLR less. All of my personal Nikon DSLR body's (company one's went close on a year ago) and all but one (G) lens have been outed and replaced with more Fuji gear. All that I have kept from Nikon are my manual lenses that I can use on the Fuji-X units (and my Nikon film cameras) and the Nikon flash system that I have successfully adapted to work on Fuji-X. (y)

I must admit its something I never thought I'd do as I've been dyed in the mass Nikon for ages (until recent years) but there you go. I honestly believe that Mirrorless and in particular Fuji is the way forward and it's only a matter of time before DSLR cameras are no longer considered worth manufacturing.

George. :fuji:

Well done George, I'm still arguing with myself about letting my 7D2 go, as I have a 150-600 (& 1.4TC) which I've hung on to for shooting birds. However, it hasn't been used since I bought my X-T2, and now I have a digiscoping facility, I think it's time I moved it on.....

Must clean it up and trade it for some Fuji goodness.

They are really good but I just think it may be overkill on a lighter system, plus the peak design couplings are cool!!

I have the BR system, bought it when I was shooting with my Canon gear. However, I find it essential if you're walking around with the 100-400 attached....

Last edited:
Well done George, I'm still arguing with myself about letting my 7D2 go, as I have a 150-600 (& 1.4TC) which I've hung on to for shooting birds. However, it hasn't been used since I bought my X-T2, and now I have a digiscoping facility, I think it's time I moved it on.....

Just do it...I did and have no regrets whatsoever, only positive vibes.
Just think what you could buy with all the cash you'll generate too :banana:

I have the BR system, bought it when I was shooting with my Canon gear. However, I find it essential if you're walking around with the 100-400 attached....
Thanks, I decided on the peak Design Slide Lite as I think it will satisfy me needs given the weight saving of the Fuji system.

SD is standard SD, SDHC is High Capacity and XC is eXtra Capacity. I use (mere!) 90 MB/s SanDisk Extreme 32GB in my bodies - hold plenty of shots and are fast enough for my wants/needs.

Nah, the option is still there to downsize at any time. The grip adds no more weight than having a few extra batteries in the bag either way. Still way lighter and smaller than what I used to shoot with.

Nah, the option is still there to downsize at any time. The grip adds no more weight than having a few extra batteries in the bag either way. Still way lighter and smaller than what I used to shoot with.
Too bulky and awkward for me! Each to their own.

Well I've been an' gawn an' done it, I'm now 100% Fuji. :)

I'm now completely DSLR less. All of my personal Nikon DSLR body's (company one's went close on a year ago) and all but one (G) lens have been outed and replaced with more Fuji gear. All that I have kept from Nikon are my manual lenses that I can use on the Fuji-X units (and my Nikon film cameras) and the Nikon flash system that I have successfully adapted to work on Fuji-X. (y)

I must admit its something I never thought I'd do as I've been dyed in the mass Nikon for ages (until recent years) but there you go. I honestly believe that Mirrorless and in particular Fuji is the way forward and it's only a matter of time before DSLR cameras are no longer considered worth manufacturing.

George. :fuji:

Nice one George, today I have cleaned up my Canon stuff, the 70D and other lenses to go to Jessops and next week will be Full Fuji for me too :)

I came from Canon because of all the weight, yes a grip might help me, but as I want to keep the Fuji gear all light weight, no grip for me but I will get a couple of spare batteries :)
I think grips are very much an 'each to their own' choice Dave, but I will say that the X-T1 grip weighs so little that the whole set up is still less to carry than one Canon L lens on it's own so I'm more than happy to have it on mine.
I put a arca type hand grip on my T10 as well and that's heavier than the T1 gripped...still light enough though and a lot more comfortable to hold.
They are a marmite thing like was said somewhere here before, but 'Mr. sausage Fingers' (me) loves them :runaway:

Yeah I agree. Adding the grip improves handling and performance when I need it, when I don't I can remove it for a smaller lighter setup. Maximum flexibility to cover all my uses = happy snapper :D

@ChrisH
Remember that aerial railway track we found high above the Llanberis quarries?
The one that the urbex men walked over without safety gear even though there was a 1,500' drop to the valley below. At least they did untill the hillside and the railway decided to join the valley bottom:eek:
Well, I've found another:)
Not quite as long, and somewhat more substantial, but it's there just waiting for you to try it out.
Before you ask...no I didn't. Do you think I'm daft?
(Don't answer that last question)
FUJI9712.jpg

FWIW there's a programme on about the Llanberris quarries tonight.

Nice one George, today I have cleaned up my Canon stuff, the 70D and other lenses to go to Jessops and next week will be Full Fuji for me too :)

That sounds real good to me Sir, I'm sure you'll not regret the move. "ENJOY" (y)

George.

Thank you Sir, I appreciate your reply, (y)

"I'm the last one to say any particular togger should do this or that with regards to the gear they use, only they know what is right for them. However all I can say is that DSLR units are no longer something I need and in my very honest opinion certainly for me Fuji is definitely the way to go"

I'm currently in Belgium working at the F1, and it's surprising just how many other accredited pro togs have switched from the Canikon units they were using to the Fuji equipment since I last met up with them a few weeks back. And not one of them have mentioned any regrets.

George.

@ChrisH
The one that the urbex men walked over without safety gear even though there was a 1,500' drop to the valley below. At least they did untill the hillside and the railway decided to join the valley bottom:eek:
Not quite as long, and somewhat more substantial, but it's there just waiting for you to try it out.
View attachment 109237

Channel and time ???

@ChrisH
View attachment 109237

I might just be stupid enough to do it, then again maybe not :D

Just for @Mr Perceptive who never saw this, and now never will, here's the railway.
It was about 75 yards across. Sorry for the lack of dynamic impact in the shot. I was already closer than either I or @ChrisH wanted to be. No way was I going to get close enough for a shot showing the drop. It was clear then that the whole l/h side of what we were stood on didn't have long for this earth. We hightailed it back to safety PDQ!
IMG_1852.jpg

Good excuse for that diet!!!

A suitable fat person wouldn't fall between the gap of the rails, therefore being fat is safe :D:D:D

Just for @Mr Perceptive who never saw this, and now never will, here's the railway.
It was about 75 yards across. Sorry for the lack of dynamic impact in the shot. I was already closer than either I or @ChrisH wanted to be. No way was I going to get close enough for a shot showing the drop. It was clear then that the whole l/h side of what we were stood on didn't have long for this earth. We hightailed it back to safety PDQ!
View attachment 109249

Yes I've seen similar pictures on the Internet, but being our resident stuntman we trust you to get as close as you can to the action!

Yes I've seen similar pictures on the Internet, but being our resident stuntman we trust you to get as close as you can to the action!
On yer bike boyo. I was bricking it stood that far away.
Southern wimps wouldn't have crossed the fence. We never saw the sign that said "Danger. Keep out" because it was written in Welsh!!!

Digressing mildly...

I recently had a go with something I'd been thinking about for a while. Self-portraits using the face detection of the X-T2 and the built in intervalometer to take multiple photos. The Internet said that the face detection on the X-T2 was pretty poor (compared mostly to Sony Alphas). I've been wanting to get a nice double portrait with me & my better half for a while but didn't want to keep farting about with cable releases and (more often than not) missed focus.

The setup : X-T2 on a tripod with an el-cheapo Godox trigger firing a Bowens strobe. 56mm f1.2 lens on the camera set to f10 to compensate for possible missed focus. Set up Interval Timer Shooting (10 shots at 5 second intervals) and Face Auto (didn't preset left or right eye) and away we went. The X-T2 happily refocusses in-between each shot and hit easily 90% of the shots with "acceptably" sharp (prints to A3 and looks good to me) images. It was really nice to not have to keep running back and forth to the camera to trigger another shot, or have an app open to trigger things, or have a cable release to fiddle with, or make sure I stay on the same spot on the floor. The intervalometer just keeps on refocussing & firing while you concentrate on pose, position and keeping those double chins hidden :)

tl;dr version - X-T2 Face Recognition is great. Works well coupled with Interval Timed Shooting when doing tripod selfies.

Digressing mildly...

I recently had a go with something I'd been thinking about for a while. Self-portraits using the face detection of the X-T2 and the built in intervalometer to take multiple photos. The Internet said that the face detection on the X-T2 was pretty poor (compared mostly to Sony Alphas). I've been wanting to get a nice double portrait with me & my better half for a while but didn't want to keep farting about with cable releases and (more often than not) missed focus.

The setup : X-T2 on a tripod with an el-cheapo Godox trigger firing a Bowens strobe. 56mm f1.2 lens on the camera set to f10 to compensate for possible missed focus. Set up Interval Timer Shooting (10 shots at 5 second intervals) and Face Auto (didn't preset left or right eye) and away we went. The X-T2 happily refocusses in-between each shot and hit easily 90% of the shots with "acceptably" sharp (prints to A3 and looks good to me) images. It was really nice to not have to keep running back and forth to the camera to trigger another shot, or have an app open to trigger things, or have a cable release to fiddle with, or make sure I stay on the same spot on the floor. The intervalometer just keeps on refocussing & firing while you concentrate on pose, position and keeping those double chins hidden :)

tl;dr version - X-T2 Face Recognition is great. Works well coupled with Interval Timed Shooting when doing tripod selfies.

The Fuji wireless app can work pretty well for this too. You get live view, and touch to focus on your phone. You can also change aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

Back