The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Well - I'm still not hot on this manual focus lark, but of the images I took I did get this one - best not to pixel peep though!

I do wish the D750 would shift though, I have a couple of horrible itches to scratch... and its all your fault FujiFilm... Damn you!!

Lagging behind
by John Norton, on Flickr
Really like this. Great light and the processing with the vignette works well to draw your attention to the subjects. Love how it tells a story too.

Which 85mm lens is this?

That'd be the Samyang :)

TP meet was in the Lakes this weekend. Managed to catch up with them for one afternoon.
Colourless uninspiring scene but dragged this image out.

Parton Beach | Cumbria
by Matthew Evans, on Flickr
Matt, that's an excellent landscape capture............love it, so peaceful/tranquil looking, serene, excellent photography. Great body & lens combo! wOOOw

Would love to see that professionally printed LARGE, something like 40x30, stunning!

Regards;
Peter

Last edited:
Is there a good site that gives some examples (charts, test scores or otherwise) to compare sharpness of Fuji lenses? DXO don't appear to have any scores and the digital picture IQ charts only have Canon and Nikon fit lenses.

The reason I ask is that whilst I really like the way the 18-55 renders it's not the sharpest lens and would like to compare the 16-55 and 18-135 as well as a couple of primes.

Last edited:
Is there a good site that gives some examples (charts, test scores or otherwise) to compare sharpness of Fuji lenses? DXO don't appear to have any scores and the digital picture IQ charts only have Canon and Nikon fit lenses.

The reason I ask is that whilst I really like the way the 18-55 renders it's not the sharpest lens and would like to compare the 16-55 and 18-135 as well as a couple of primes.

http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/783-fuji1855f284

BTW, I have the 18-55 and 16-55 and the latter is sharper wide open at the long end. The 18-135 is supposed to be weaker than both (no great surprise given the zoom range), with the 18/2 also behind the two zooms due to it performing worse in the corners.

Well I've opened the box, ogled at the contents like it's a slinky Russian gymnast and the battery is now charging.

Without even turning it on I'll say this - the feel, look and build is something else. I'll be taking it out tomorrow with the 18-55 to put it through its paces. Thinking about getting a fast prime of some kind too.

BTW, I have the 18-55 and 16-55 and the latter is sharper wide open at the long end. The 18-135 is supposed to be weaker than both (no great surprise given the zoom range), with the 18/2 also behind the two zooms due to it performing worse in the corners.

Thanks. TBH I don't fully understand MTF charts so can never work out how sharp a lens is from those but sample pics should be useful.

Is there not much in the 16-55 and 18-55 then? Shame re the 18-135, I was giving it serious consideration as an all in one travel lens but if it's not as good as the 18-55 then I'll give it a miss I think. I know all in ones are never great but I thought the 18-55 was a mid level zoom and the 18-135 was a higher end one and the 16-55 being the creme de la creme (in terms of zooms). I'm still very much learning the ropes with Fuji, very new system to me ;)

Well I've opened the box, ogled at the contents like it's a slinky Russian gymnast and the battery is now charging.

Without even turning it on I'll say this - the feel, look and build is something else. I'll be taking it out tomorrow with the 18-55 to put it through its paces. Thinking about getting a fast prime of some kind too.

Congrats Adam, "Enjoy"(y)

George.

Thanks. TBH I don't fully understand MTF charts so can never work out how sharp a lens is from those but sample pics should be useful.

Is there not much in the 16-55 and 18-55 then? Shame re the 18-135, I was giving it serious consideration as an all in one travel lens but if it's not as good as the 18-55 then I'll give it a miss I think. I know all in ones are never great but I thought the 18-55 was a mid level zoom and the 18-135 was a higher end one and the 16-55 being the creme de la creme (in terms of zooms). I'm still very much learning the ropes with Fuji, very new system to me ;)

I have both the 18-55 and the 18-135 and both are great zoom lenses. IQ is good and whilst the 18-55 may apparently have the edge on the 18-135 the bigger lens is stuck on my XT2 like glue. I am happy to sacrifice a bit of IQ to not faf around changing lens and find the extra reach of the18-135 suits me as a general purpose and travel lens. I am happy to lose a bit of IQ compared to using primes and personally don't notice much, if any difference between the 18 to 55 and 135. The consensus of opinion is that the quality of the Fuji zooms is pretty damn good. OIS is an added bonus for me. I understand the 16-55 is rather special, though it is without OIS, which puts me off it. Good luck choosing.

Last edited:
I have both the 18-55 and the 18-135 and both are great zoom lenses. IQ is good and whilst the 18-55 may apparently have the edge on the 18-135 the bigger lens is stuck on my XT2 like glue. I am happy to sacrifice a bit of IQ to not faf around changing lens and find the extra reach of the18-135 suits me as a general purpose and travel lens. I am happy to lose a bit of IQ compared to using primes and personally don't notice much, if any difference between the 18 to 55 and 135. The consensus of opinion is that the quality of the Fuji zooms is pretty damn good. OIS is an added bonus for me. I understand the 16-55 is rather special, though it is without OIS, which puts me off it. Good luck choosing.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was surprised that the 16-55mm doesn't have OIS, I'm sure there's a reason.

How quickly does the 18-135 stop down to f5.6?

Here's a quick look at all three together:
http://www.fujivsfuji.com/16-55mm-f2pt8-vs-18-55mm-f2pt8-4-vs-18-135mm-f3pt5-5pt6/

I've only had the 18-135 a couple of days but it is plainly inferior to the 18-55 and 50-200mm, but is considerably more convenient that lugging them both about ans faffing about swapping them. It's plenty acceptable as a walkabout lens - it won't make you go wow over crisp details but it won't make you worry think you're shooting through a milk bottle either. A sample from Thursday's walk about:

Soldier On by Alan Jones, on Flickr

18-55mm seems fine to me, no complaints photo quality wise and just the right size on these smaller cameras.

When I got my X-T1 it came with a voucher for 200 quid off the soon to be released 18-135, didn't fancy it then and don't now. Same with the 16-55, big lump, no ois and from what I've seen only marginally better than my smaller 18-55.

My main reason for switching to Fuji was the reduction in size and weight so these bigger lenses defeat that purpose for me (did have to compromise for the 10-24 though)

Real bargains are the two XC lenses, have them both and a X-E2 for long walkabout days, probably my favourite set up and total cost was less than 500 quid or price of one prime

Different story if you want the much longer focal lengths, all a matter of personal choice and no right or wrong.

Last edited:
18-55mm seems fine to me, no complaints photo quality wise and just the right size on these smaller cameras.

When I got my X-T1 it came with a voucher for 200 quid off the soon to be released 18-135, didn't fancy it then and don't now. Same with the 16-55, big lump, no ois and from what I've seen only marginally better than my smaller 18-55.

My main reason for switching to Fuji was the reduction in size and weight so these bigger lenses defeat that purpose for me (did have to compromise for the 10-24 though)

Real bargains are the two XC lenses, have them both and a X-E2 for long walkabout days, probably my favourite set up and total cost was less than 500 quid or price of one prime

Different story if you want the much longer focal lengths, all a matter of personal choice and no right or wrong.

Except as I find, the reduced weight is negligible if you are carting around several lenses. With the 18-135 you only carry the camera with it attached, all you need to bring with you is a spare battery and card, don't even need a bag in case it rains - the ultimate lightweight solution!

Except as I find, the reduced weight is negligible if you are carting around several lenses. With the 18-135 you only carry the camera with it attached, all you need to bring with you is a spare battery and card, don't even need a bag in case it rains - the ultimate lightweight solution!

+1 (but have a bag :) )

I used to use a Nikon D7200 with an 18-200mm lens as my walkabout kit or occasionally a 10-24mm. I much prefer the reduced size X-T2 combo.

Currently I only have the 18-135 in native format, but it's a nice length for walkabout and the images are fine, perhaps soon I'll have something more to play with but that's only when the Nikon goes.

One thing I do see time and again is people saying, or at least heavily implying that they came to Fuji for the reduced size, I do hope that wasn't the only reason, or even the primary one as if it were they're in the wrong place, they should be on M43 if they need an interchangeable lens system.

For me the draw to Fuji is the EVF and all it offers along with how the image comes out, weight is just a bonus.

Last edited:
Ive finally arrived back from Tenerife and whilst away stumbled across a hillclimb event barely 100 yards away from the hotel we were staying in! (Wife was delighted as you can imagine).

I've a couple of my snaps uploaded to Flickr after a quick and dirty edit in Snapseed that I'll be sharing but as luck would have it, I can't seem to get the BB code from flickr at all via my phone! Anyone experiencing this / solved it?

One thing I do see time and again is people saying, or at least heavily implying that they came to Fuji for the reduced size, I do hope that wasn't the only reason

For me the draw to Fuji is the EVF and all it offers along with how the image comes out, weight is just a bonus

Size and weight were key factors, but wouldn't have bothered if the photos were crap, so no not the only reason.

Can't say the photos are better than my Canon FF, in fact not quite as good if I was being honest, but that doesn't matter if you don't take the camera out with you.

What else does it offer you over your previous set up?

Currently I only have the 18-135 in native format, but it's a nice length for walkabout and the images are fine, perhaps soon I'll have something more to play with but that's only when the Nikon goes.

One thing I do see time and again is people saying, or at least heavily implying that they came to Fuji for the reduced size, I do hope that wasn't the only reason, or even the primary one as if it were they're in the wrong place, they should be on M43 if they need an interchangeable lens system.

For me the draw to Fuji is the EVF and all it offers along with how the image comes out, weight is just a bonus.

I agree! The X-T2 with the 100-400 on is still considerably lighter than an equivalent DSLR set-up... I didn't buy into the Fuji system for the weight saving, it was primarily because of the quality of the kit and the quality of the images. )

Size and weight were key factors, but wouldn't have bothered if the photos were crap, so no not the only reason.

Can't say the photos are better than my Canon FF, in fact not quite as good if I was being honest, but that doesn't matter if you don't take the camera out with you.

What else does it offer you over your previous set up?

Mostly the EVF, I just find it incredibly useful and the overall experience, something not quantifiable in stats or image

enough
I didn't buy into the Fuji system for the weight saving, it was primarily because of the quality of the kit and the quality of the images. ).

Haven't noticed Fuji lenses being better than those from the L range or the photos being better than from my 5d mkii.

EVF is in some ways better than a mirror, not so good in others so yes portability was a big factor, seems a good reason to me.

Last edited:
Ive finally arrived back from Tenerife and whilst away stumbled across a hillclimb event barely 100 yards away from the hotel we were staying in! (Wife was delighted as you can imagine).

I've a couple of my snaps uploaded to Flickr after a quick and dirty edit in Snapseed that I'll be sharing but as luck would have it, I can't seem to get the BB code from flickr at all via my phone! Anyone experiencing this / solved it?
Sorted, in a roundabout kinda way. As per my previous post, a couple of quick and dirty edits taken with my X-T10 and 18-55mm.

Getting Serious by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Sticky Stuff #2 by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Unloaded by Ian Williams, on Flickr

And Push B&W by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Hidden GT by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Aged and Beautiful by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Drive By by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Last edited:

For me EVF was a big plus. I was looking for a smaller camera to walkabout with and wanted a viewfinder. I went for an X-T10 as I was curios about Fuji and had just flogged a Nikon 1J5 (great camera but no VF) and I just loved the EVF. Had a play with the XT1 as well and thought sod it. The dark side it is for me and off to market went all my Nikon gear and added an X T2. Size, IQ, EVF etc all played a part. I just like the complete package as it were.

Well I think those are lovely shots

Those are great shots frank and the black and white on the first two works really well.

That all depends, my current Fuji setup is smaller and lighter than my old Olly setup. Granted lenses weren't exactly like for like (12-40 f2.8 vs 18-55 f2.8-4) but in terms of IQ and ability for shallow DOF they are very similar. There's some very lightweight primes for m4/3 though. Still the Fuji setup is considerably lighter than my Nikon gear, in fact the XT1 and lens weighs about the same as just my walkabout lens for the Nikon.

I can't say I find the EVF on the Fuji particularly better than the EM5-II TBH. I do prefer the rendering of Fuji though, and the skin tones are better. Was never happy with skin tones on the Olly.

Last edited:
Yes, there's always a way to make a camera heavier, certainly the 12-40 is one :). Great lens btw.

With regard to EVF it was more in relation to a standard DSLR. Looking back I think for portability the EM10 and kit lens couldn't be beaten, even when I put the 40-150 R on it was tiny and light, and given the x2 crop it had very good reach.

My 18-135mm is my go to lens, it's a fantastic travel lens. To be honest I don't see any difference IQ wise between it and the 18-55, it's slightly bigger but has way more reach. I also have the 16-55mm it's a lovely lens, looking through my LR library yesterday it produces sublime images. But it's big. It sits wonderfully on my gripped X-T2, but on my X Pro2 it feels very front heavy. I need to re-evaluate my gear and move on the kit I'm not using fully, it's hard to do though.

A few pictures from a photo walk along the Thames yesterday. I wanted to concentrate on colour as it was an overcast day.

untitled-6377-2.jpg untitled-7596.jpg untitled-7465.jpg untitled-7604.jpg

Togs falling on a busker like a zombie hoard.

untitled-7318.jpg

Last edited:
Back