The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Woo! Was in town and dropped into Jessops. Turned out they had my XT2 :) Battery charging at the moment, but I've no lens here for it, so will have to wait till I get home. For some reason the grip wasn't there yet, so will have to pick that up next week when I get back from work travel.

That is very interesting. I just tried to tether to LR shooting JPEG only but W7 wouldn't recognise the camera. Won't use if a lot but it's useful to do at times.

Frank, is your desire to tether for editing straight after shooting or to simple view larger?

Frank, is your desire to tether for editing straight after shooting or to simple view larger?
Bit of both really. I used to be able to do it when I was on Canon using their supplied DPP software. It certainly helps to get focus. Editing is a lesser concern because I can always just import from my card, or if the tethering software allows from wherever the image is stored.
However...I am on LR5.x and the new Fuji files are not recognised. My normal processing includes conversion of RAW files to DNG before import to LR. Not a problem in normal circumstances, but I suspect I'll have to shoot just JPEG when/if tethering becomes possibel, unless I upgrade to CC.

Tethering? Am I to assume you can shoot straight to your LR catalogue?!
More or less, yes. You connect your camera direct to your PC/laptop and with appropriate software you control the camera from there. It can be very useful when stacking small images. You change the focus by touching your keyboard rather than touching the camera/lens set up. A I mentioned above^^^the Canon Software was very good for tethering but it seems like Fuji have not yet caught up with that.
Thinks....was there a software disc in the box, that is now in the attic?

Matt, that's an excellent landscape capture............love it, so peaceful/tranquil looking, serene, excellent photography. Great body & lens combo! wOOOw

Would love to see that professionally printed LARGE, something like 40x30, stunning!

Regards;
Peter

Thanks Peter, really nice comment!

I think i'm going to do a 20x16 print as I have a spare frame lying about!

In the box there would have been a disc with Fuji's diluted version of Silkypix which may or may not help you in your tethering quest.

Another solution is to use the Fuji remote app on something like a tablet (bigger screen) and control the camera over wifi

I'm off to Digital Splash on Saturday. It's really just a fancy boot sale (Wash your mouth) but I suspect/hope there will be someone from Fuji there whose brains I can pick.

Painterly effect is definitely the way adobe interprets the files, they look fine in Irident Developer.

Sadly that's an apple only application isn't it?

BTE fancy doing a comparison?

Can someone post an example of this painterly effect? I curious to see what it looks like.
Yeah 1 on this, I'm not sure what it means. Although I took some low light shots in a bar in Barcelona recently with my X70 and my son's face looked almost like a water colour painting. It got worse when I tried to lift the shadows in LR is this the "painterly" effect ?

LOL and before anyone else says it, he's no oil painting !

This image shows it in the foliage etc quite well - I actually quite like it for some pictures (I think it works well in this one for example). Rather Gainsborough like! I've not noticed it in other "styles/genres" of photo - only those with particularly detailed "leafy" areas.

Into the woods by Ash Smith, on Flickr
What I see is a combination of a bit of burn-out on the lighter areas coupled with wind movement in the higher branches. Nice scene, though.

What I see is a combination of a bit of burn-out on the lighter areas coupled with wind movement in the higher branches. Nice scene, though.
Must agree. All I can see is a style of processing. Can't see anything greatly wrong with it.

Sometimes - and I'm not saying it's the case here - some people jump on the bandwagon and it becomes a case of the emperors new clothes.

Sometimes - and I'm not saying it's the case here - some people jump on the bandwagon and it becomes a case of the emperors new clothes.

About this painterly thing? It's real, and a definite problem on my x-t10. It's only on fine/repetitive patterns - e.g. Hair, foliage, eyelashes etc.
I hate the "painterly" tag, but I wouldn't know what to call it. I used to get something similar on my canon by overdoing both sharpening AND noise reduction, it leaves the finer details looking like an oil painting. This seems the same, just on a finer scale. I'll try and post an obvious example later, I'm sure I have some.

Fortunately, careful sharpening keeps it to levels that I don't care about.

About this painterly thing? It's real, and a definite problem on my x-t10. It's only on fine/repetitive patterns - e.g. Hair, foliage, eyelashes etc.
I hate the "painterly" tag, but I wouldn't know what to call it. I used to get something similar on my canon by overdoing both sharpening AND noise reduction, it leaves the finer details looking like an oil painting. This seems the same, just on a finer scale. I'll try and post an obvious example later, I'm sure I have some.

Could that not be put down to user error rather than equipment failure?
A bad workman....

The fuji cameras do render small details differently in my experience. I have found that you do have to be very careful about the sharpening you apply and perhaps only sharpen on export, in scenes where it may become obvious. Interestingly, I remember the old fuji S5 pro could have a plastic look to some images, not unlike what we're seeing here.

Must agree. All I can see is a style of processing. Can't see anything greatly wrong with it.

I don't find anything wrong with it either - as I say in some images I quite like it, just trying to find some pics where I have noticed to illustrate to others. You can see it a little in this one too (if you go big on flickr) - the foreground leaves and grasses are pretty sharp (you can see the veins on the leaves on the left), but the more background leaves/trees have a painterly look - which again, I like :)

Over the Falls by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Definitely real, and very well documented online. Here's some examples that I took at the weekend, 100% crops

SOOC jpeg
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/snerkler/media/Forum Pics/Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 17.10.58_zpsor8o0drv.png.html][/URL]

RAW imported into Irident
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/snerkler/media/Forum Pics/Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 17.11.06_zpsu4sh207v.png.html][/URL]

RAW from LR, the best (least painterly) I could get it.
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/snerkler/media/Forum Pics/Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 17.13.37_zpsraru6tne.png.html][/URL]

I'm going to experiment with different in camera NR and sharpening settings and see what difference (if any) it makes to the RAW. Apparently Fuji add processing to RAW files so maybe they will have an effect.

This looks like running for 30 pages:rolleyes:

I think it's all part of owning a D750 though, if its not screen protectors, its micro adjustment woes, or Nikon's customer service. ;)

Its not an effect that I've noticed, therefore it doesn't bother me, maybe if I was pixel peeping and printing at A1 or bigger, it would be a concern.

My advice, if it bothers anyone, and they can't process the images to their satisfaction, either change the processing software or the camera.

@snerkler, I'd be interested in the camera settings (and the lens) used on the pictures posted above, because they don't look at all sharp to me (I know it's a 100% crop, but of which bit of the view?)

Distant foliage is never that distinct, isn't when you look at it through your eyes, bit like trying to get detail in sunlit water, saying that I'm not great at seeing noise either.

Not seen much wrong with photos from my selection of Fuji cameras, think it's more down to processing. My early version of LR didn't open X-T1 raw files so I got the teacher/student reduction on Photo Ninja and used it as a plug in.

I think it's all part of owning a D750 though, if its not screen protectors, its micro adjustment woes, or Nikon's customer service. ;)

Its not an effect that I've noticed, therefore it doesn't bother me, maybe if I was pixel peeping and printing at A1 or bigger, it would be a concern.

My advice, if it bothers anyone, and they can't process the images to their satisfaction, either change the processing software or the camera.

@snerkler, I'd be interested in the camera settings (and the lens) used on the pictures posted above, because they don't look at all sharp to me (I know it's a 100% crop, but of which bit of the view?)
:agree::agree::agree:

It seems that all the problems/complaints always come from Nikon fanboys. If it's not the image quality then the controls are rubbish. If controls are OK it's colour rendition or choice of lenses or.....or.....or......
It seems as though they must complain. Not because there is anything wrong with the gear but to hide their embarrassment at not getting it sooner. Those who come from other brands - Canon or Sony or who start off with the Fooj don't seem to have all the complaints that Neyecon owners manage to find.

18-55mm f2.8-4, f11. The crop is from the mid frame, and quite distant so I don't expect it to be sharp or show lots of detail tbh. However, I don't want it to look painterly/like a watercolour either ;) If you look at that rock on the left corner of the jpeg it does look like a watercolour painting imo.

Distant foliage is never that distinct, isn't when you look at it through your eyes, bit like trying to get detail in sunlit water, saying that I'm not great at seeing noise either.

Not seen much wrong with photos from my selection of Fuji cameras, think it's more down to processing. My early version of LR didn't open X-T1 raw files so I got the teacher/student reduction on Photo Ninja and used it as a plug in.
As above, I don't expect to see detail either (y)

It seems that all the problems/complaints always come from Nikon fanboys. If it's not the image quality then the controls are rubbish. If controls are OK it's colour rendition or choice of lenses or.....or.....or......
It seems as though they must complain. Not because there is anything wrong with the gear but to hide their embarrassment at not getting it sooner. Those who come from other brands - Canon or Sony or who start off with the Fooj don't seem to have all the complaints that Neyecon owners manage to find.
If there's a fault I'll find it :LOL:

Joking aside, I do have an seriously annoying natural ability of finding faults. It's not as though I go looking for them, I just see them :oops: :$

By those criteria this should be painterly. I don't think it is.
Swaledale Sheep by Stephen Lee, on Flickr
Nope that's rendered lovely, and nice and sharp too. I've not noticed it with fur or hair tbh, just rocks and foliage. Definitely a landscape thing, all my other shots are fine and render in that beautiful fuji way :)

Maybe Fuji guys just don't know any better ;)

Anyway as I'm selling my D750 does that mean I can stop complaining about things?

Haha, it's a feature [emoji23]

Back