The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Second hand prices will go up, thats a certainty.

Now to something else...

Have you all seen this - sorry if I missed it before.

Blimey the prices have climbed! Might see what they're doing when next I'm in Bangkok.

The Fuji XT1 eye cup arrived this morning from ordering it late afternoon yesterday, standard free delivery, wow impressive fast service. And the small box is an original Fujifilm with the words 'Long Eyecup ', pretty good for £8.99

:)

Might be tempted to sell mine...if the price is right! Its the lens I use least but always carry it with me for some strange reason!

According to my LIghtroom Analytics, I used this lens for 0.5% of my shots last year, its not that its a bad lens, it just never seems to find its way onto my camera.

Its an interesting thought, that says if you take the 23mm lens, and crop out of the centre of the image to the equivalent 35mm lens view, you will end up with a 10MP image (assuming you started with an X-T2). This is more than good enough for most of our needs, posting in forums, flickr, etc and the occassional print etc.

Equally you could do the same with the 16/23, 35/56, 56/90, are we guilty of collecting too much glass for our actual needs??

You could say yes, but then you could say that each lens has its own characteristics......... thoughts gentlemen........

Anyway I think I'm going to stick the 35mm on the X-E2 and make sure I just use it more, that way I'll use the others on teh X-T2, assuming I can prise the 23mm off it!!!

According to my LIghtroom Analytics, I used this lens for 0.5% of my shots last year, its not that its a bad lens, it just never seems to find its way onto my camera.

Its an interesting thought, that says if you take the 23mm lens, and crop out of the centre of the image to the equivalent 35mm lens view, you will end up with a 10MP image (assuming you started with an X-T2). This is more than good enough for most of our needs, posting in forums, flickr, etc and the occassional print etc.

Equally you could do the same with the 16/23, 35/56, 56/90, are we guilty of collecting too much glass for our actual needs??

You could say yes, but then you could say that each lens has its own characteristics......... thoughts gentlemen........

Anyway I think I'm going to stick the 35mm on the X-E2 and make sure I just use it more, that way I'll use the others on teh X-T2, assuming I can prise the 23mm off it!!!
Regardless of physical characteristics like size, weight, focus speed, sharpness etc, the bokeh and background compression would surely be different...

My 35mm f1.4 came when I disposed of all my Canon gear. I didn't quite understand the logic but LCE would only take my 24-105 as p/ex and not as a cash trade. So I took the 35mm as a swap.
I've taken fewer than 150 shots with it, and most of those were on a recent fungi hunt.
Suppose it just doesn't suit my style. Nothing wrong with it. Nice and sharp. Just not for me.

Hence I'm tempted to sell it and move on.

Regardless of physical characteristics like size, weight, focus speed, sharpness etc, the bokeh and background compression would surely be different...

Yes the usual 'crop fractor' equivalents would apply,where the crop factor is now our new smaller 10Mp size, but if you are like me, mainly an f8-f11 shooter, then this would have less effect. Its still an interesting thought, it's not that I want to get rid of lenses, but if I could lighten my bag further, taking only a subset of great primes, depending on what I was shooting, then that would be a bonus.

Probably going to get shot for this, but if you're generally at f8-11 would XC lenses suffice? Could save a fortune as well as loosing a bit of size and weight

Anyone here tried Samyang 50mm f1.2 for portraits. I have a XE1 and waiting for XT2 and any opinion welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
The Fuji XT1 eye cup arrived this morning from ordering it late afternoon yesterday, standard free delivery, wow impressive fast service. And the small box is an original Fujifilm with the words 'Long Eyecup ', pretty good for £8.99

:)
I've bought one of these now because of you, damn you for spending my money :LOL:

Hell how do you think I feel, I only got a Fuji to have a play with cheap manual lenses, next thing I know I've sold (nearly all) of my full frame Nikon kit!

That's nice. Lovely spacey scene, but the eye is controlled well by the fade to darkness top and bottom.

That's a lovely shot, I'll have another look later when I'm on the PC but it's delightful

Thank you both, i'm pleased with how it came out - I figured if this "painterly" effect is a thing then why not embrace it on these shots...

Got this one too, perhaps not quite as pleasing, but I still like it...

Trent Lane 2 by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Very nice, mind me asking about the processing done as I've every intention of "borrowing" it [emoji28]

Very nice, mind me asking about the processing done as I've every intention of "borrowing" it [emoji28]

-100 highlights, +100 shadows, set white and black points by eye, - clarity, boosted contrast quite a bit. Then some local stuff using grad filters top and bottom to lower exposure and a couple of radial filters to add a little warmth to the sky.

I could create a preset of it if you want?

Thank you both, i'm pleased with how it came out - I figured if this "painterly" effect is a thing then why not embrace it on these shots...

Got this one too, perhaps not quite as pleasing, but I still like it...

Trent Lane 2 by Ash Smith, on Flickr
Another lovely image. Just so you know, this is not the painterly effect that I've been seeing ;) :p I'd be more than happy with results like this (y)

-100 highlights, +100 shadows, set white and black points by eye, - clarity, boosted contrast quite a bit. Then some local stuff using grad filters top and bottom to lower exposure and a couple of radial filters to add a little warmth to the sky.

I could create a preset of it if you want?
Sounds pretty straightforward, thank you :D

Out of curiosity, what does this refer to? I'm sure I do it anyway but see this referred to and never understand what it is or how it's done.

I simply meant that I set them according to what my eye thought looked about right, rather than using the alt key to show clipping or shift/double click to set them to what the software thinks is right (in LR).

I simply meant that I set them according to what my eye thought looked about right, rather than using the alt key to show clipping or shift/double click to set them to what the software thinks is right (in LR).
Gotcha. I get the setting by eye part, but it was the setting blacks and whites that threw me (ie what we're the 'blacks and whites').

I get that it's adjusting them so to minimise the clipped areas on the histogram now which as I guessed, was something I do already. Didn't know about the shift/double click shortcut though.

Well the XF23mm f2 R WR looks tiny on the gripped X-T2.

i-dkNwkNR-XL.jpg

I know it has no bearing whatsoever on its photo taking abilities, but that is one butt ugly mutha

The 56 1.2 makes up for it but i fully agree that the 23mm f2 looks bloody terrible.Saying that though the A/F is very fast and quiet and it also has a very good positive click to the aperture ring.

The 56 1.2 makes up for it but i fully agree that the 23mm f2 looks bloody terrible.Saying that though the A/F is very fast and quiet and it also has a very good positive click to the aperture ring.

14mm is another aesthetically pleasing lens, looks the part on my X-T1 and no doubt would suit it's newer incarnation equally well

Really don't care about looks (my missus says that too) but some set ups do look better together than others, ability to produce a nice photo is what counts though.

Last edited:
In fact some horrendous prices now on Fuji stuff at WEX:

56mm f1.2 - now £829
10-24 - now £829
23mm f1.4 - now £789.00
55-200 - now £789
100-400 - now £1579
16-55 - now £959
50-140 - now £1329

Ouch

Ha, I got my 16-55 for £534 after cashback :D

These prices are wild, WILD.

...those prices! Madness. If you order any of these from Wex you need your head examining. The current prices from Amazon are below in red for comparison.

56mm f1.2 - now £829 £699
10-24 - now £829 £709
23mm f1.4 - now £789.00 £649
55-200 - now £789 £529
100-400 - now £1579 £1399
16-55 - now £959 £849
50-140 - now £1329 £1149

H
In fact some horrendous prices now on Fuji stuff at WEX:

56mm f1.2 - now £829
10-24 - now £829
23mm f1.4 - now £789.00
55-200 - now £789
100-400 - now £1579
16-55 - now £959
50-140 - now £1329

Ouch

Nothing stopping the body prices going up too !!!

Back