The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So I do shoot architecture but handheld. Tripods only for long exposures really.

I try to shoot minimalist stuff I did posted some pictures before but i can post new ones here guys.

I prefer a prime but I read bad reviews about the xf 14mm so I decided it would be between the 16mm fuji and the samyang 12mm

What the hell have you heard negatively about the 14mm? Absolutely brilliant lens!

Lovely crisp images, that 90mm looks to be a solid lens. Love the last one especially. People pay good money for lesser family shots than that :)

I've not seen anything in any of the lenses I've used so far that concerns me. Funnily enough I do see a bit of shake in the 90mm when I'm looking through the viewfinder as it doesn't have any VR. But of course using a decent shutter speed means the shake doesn't show itself in the picture.

Something I should have added in my post above. The fact I can focus just about anywhere in the frame is a dream come true!! I moaned LOTS about the D750 having its focus points too centrally positioned. It meant I often had to crop to get the composition I wanted. With the Fuji this is not going to be the case and I'm particularly happy about it :)

I thought I'd write what follows as my first impressions of the Fuji X system for pro use in the hope others will find it of use....

I bought my first X system camera back in the spring. That was an X-Pro 2. I'd always wanted a smaller camera for carrying with me when I'm out and about and the X-Pro 2 looked like the ideal camera for me. I've not used it much since I bought it as I've been VERY busy but I did get to Cornwall for a few days back in late May and was pleased with the pictures I got with it.

After a long hard summer I decided that maybe my 8 years with Nikon had run it's course. The main reason was weight and getting fed up waking up the day after a wedding with a stiff neck and aching shoulders. All very well until you do four weddings on the trot! I'd always laughed at guys saying they found the weight of their kit an issue ("bloody wimps" I thought) but I was starting to realise it was a real a factor.

So last Friday I bought an X-T2. It wasn't until Monday that I turned it on and actually took some pictures. I was instantly very impressed with the performance, enough so that I headed off to a camera shop and traded in my Nikon D4s for a bunch of lenses (I'd already had a quote for the D4s and was happy with what they were offering).

Today I used the camera properly for the first time. It wasn't a paid job, I had my nieces for the day so I took them to a local park where we had loads of fun on a pretty decent autumn day. I wasn't there as a photographer, I was there to have fun with my two favourite people. But they were happy to model for me and I got some pretty decent shots. Performance of the camera was superb. I was shooting a mix of AF-S and AF-C and both were great. AF-C is where any camera can struggle but the camera didn't miss as my niece sped towards me on her scooter. The thing that pleased me most was that I was shooting all my lenses wide open and sharpness was spot on. I'd pretty much given up shooting wide open with my Nikons. I figured if I was going to be swapping to a crop-sensor camera then I'd need to be shooting wide open more often. And the X-T2 and lenses didn't disappoint.

Once home it was time to process the images. I won't drone on, so here's my thoughts:-

1) The pictures are sharp. Very sharp! This makes me very happy.
2) The pictures have higher levels of noise. I never used any kind of noise reduction on my D4s files. I'm going to need to with the fuji. ISO 1600 and up and going to worry me I think.
3) I can't push and pull the Raw files around as much as I could my Nikons. Shadow and highlight recovery is not as forgiving so correct exposure is going to be important. Fortunately I always held that belief anyway but I'll not get away with pulling the shadows up in the summer months like a lot of pros have been doing in recent times.
4) I've never looked at any other camera profiles in Lightroom, instead using the adobe profile. And then I've edited from there. With these images I tried the Velvia look which I'd used in camera. A bit too saturated for my liking but I went with it anyway. Skin tones and the biggest factor and in this regard the images are looking good.

So that's some initial thoughts. If I think of anything else I'll add it.

EMM-17 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

EMM-18 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

EMM-21 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

Great write-up and wonderful piccies, particulaly the last one which is spot on!

I've been shooting some architecture stuff recently with the 18-55, but it depends on the type of thing you want to shoot...

Panes by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Well that's a great shot. The composition and mono tone works perfectly.

Lonely Tree

Lonely Tree by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Took the swmbo for a weekend in the Lake District for her birthday and managed to pop down to the shores of Ullswater on our first morning for sunrise for a very quick visit.
Not a breath of wind and I this peace of sure to myself. Has an added bonus I was lucky enough to get some lovely light,

Fuji XT-2 and Fuji 16-55

Lonely Tree

Took the swmbo for a weekend in the Lake District for her birthday and managed to pop down to the shores of Ullswater on our first morning for sunrise for a very quick visit.
Not a breath of wind and I this peace of sure to myself. Has an added bonus I was lucky enough to get some lovely light,

Fuji XT-2 and Fuji 16-55

Sublime Graham

Lonely Tree

Fuji XT-2 and Fuji 16-55

Beautiful. Well worth getting up for. Some real quality additions to this thread recently!

I thought I'd write what follows as my first impressions of the Fuji X system for pro use in the hope others will find it of use....

I bought my first X system camera back in the spring. That was an X-Pro 2. I'd always wanted a smaller camera for carrying with me when I'm out and about and the X-Pro 2 looked like the ideal camera for me. I've not used it much since I bought it as I've been VERY busy but I did get to Cornwall for a few days back in late May and was pleased with the pictures I got with it.

After a long hard summer I decided that maybe my 8 years with Nikon had run it's course. The main reason was weight and getting fed up waking up the day after a wedding with a stiff neck and aching shoulders. All very well until you do four weddings on the trot! I'd always laughed at guys saying they found the weight of their kit an issue ("bloody wimps" I thought) but I was starting to realise it was a real a factor.

So last Friday I bought an X-T2. It wasn't until Monday that I turned it on and actually took some pictures. I was instantly very impressed with the performance, enough so that I headed off to a camera shop and traded in my Nikon D4s for a bunch of lenses (I'd already had a quote for the D4s and was happy with what they were offering).

Today I used the camera properly for the first time. It wasn't a paid job, I had my nieces for the day so I took them to a local park where we had loads of fun on a pretty decent autumn day. I wasn't there as a photographer, I was there to have fun with my two favourite people. But they were happy to model for me and I got some pretty decent shots. Performance of the camera was superb. I was shooting a mix of AF-S and AF-C and both were great. AF-C is where any camera can struggle but the camera didn't miss as my niece sped towards me on her scooter. The thing that pleased me most was that I was shooting all my lenses wide open and sharpness was spot on. I'd pretty much given up shooting wide open with my Nikons. I figured if I was going to be swapping to a crop-sensor camera then I'd need to be shooting wide open more often. And the X-T2 and lenses didn't disappoint.

Once home it was time to process the images. I won't drone on, so here's my thoughts:-

2) The pictures have higher levels of noise. I never used any kind of noise reduction on my D4s files. I'm going to need to with the fuji. ISO 1600 and up and going to worry me I think.
3) I can't push and pull the Raw files around as much as I could my Nikons. Shadow and highlight recovery is not as forgiving so correct exposure is going to be important. Fortunately I always held that belief anyway but I'll not get away with pulling the shadows up in the summer months like a lot of pros have been doing in recent times.
4) I've never looked at any other camera profiles in Lightroom, instead using the adobe profile. And then I've edited from there. With these images I tried the Velvia look which I'd used in camera. A bit too saturated for my liking but I went with it anyway. Skin tones and the biggest factor and in this regard the images are looking good.

Only on the iPhone at the mo but those shots look superb, overall rendering is gorgeous. Third is the pick of the bunch for me. I wish I knew how to gets shots like this. The balance of tones and contrast etc is spot on.

Out of interest which Nikons have you struggled with wide open? I have, or have had the 70-200 f2.8 VRII, 24-70 f2.8, 24-120 f4 and 85mm f1.8 and all have been great wide open (some purple CA with the 85mm). The 50mm f1.8 is the only disappointing Nikon wide open that I've tried.

lovely portraits. that 90mm is a stunner.

Lonely Tree

Fuji XT-2 and Fuji 16-55
Gulp.......... amazing Graham. Tripod or hand-held? Any filters used...? Simply wOw

Regards;
Peter

Lonely Tree

Fuji XT-2 and Fuji 16-55
Lovely, really nice calming colours.

Only on the iPhone at the mo but those shots look superb, overall rendering is gorgeous. Third is the pick of the bunch for me. I wish I knew how to gets shots like this. The balance of tones and contrast etc is spot on.

Out of interest which Nikons have you struggled with wide open? I have, or have had the 70-200 f2.8 VRII, 24-70 f2.8, 24-120 f4 and 85mm f1.8 and all have been great wide open (some purple CA with the 85mm). The 50mm f1.8 is the only disappointing Nikon wide open that I've tried.
Thank you.

To be fair I think it was more a problem with the body than the lenses.

Looks like the firmware is a little dull...

Fujifilm X-T2: tethering support + Bug fixes (like an overexposure issue at certain settings)

Fujifilm X-T1: EF-X500 Support

Lonely Tree

Fuji XT-2 and Fuji 16-55

"Excellent" shot Graham, spot on composition, lovely colors, agood sky with nice reflections.(y)

George.

Fujifilm X-T2: tethering support + Bug fixes (like an overexposure issue at certain settings)

Yep, disappointing.

What the hell have you heard negatively about the 14mm? Absolutely brilliant lens!
a bit of color aberration and loose of sharpness close to the edges...

That's why I decided to ask here what you guys think about it. Cause you can read a lot of stuff in the internet that is not quite the true.

I am impressed to be honest, i will reconsider this lens, the problem here stands now is the money for it. Cause the samyang goes for 250 and this bad boy for 650....

And I will be likely ordering the new macbook coming out this week so gotta really think carefully XD

Great captures. No 3 is my favourite :)

I was just getting so excited over the stellar images posted this evening to the extent of looking at a possible changeover until coming across this ' limited scope ' firmware :(

C'mon Fuji. Get your act together - pronto!!

I was just getting so excited over the stellar images posted this evening to the extent of looking at a possible changeover until coming across this ' limited scope ' firmware :(

C'mon Fuji. Get your act together - pronto!!

Why would a minor firmware update dictate whether you change systems or not?! :D

Why would a minor firmware update dictate whether you change systems or not?! :D

If you did look at my posts before I was concerned about the AF and tracking under low light from the test, though limited that I conducted at Calumet. I said in my above post that the images posted yesterday were very tempting BUT that it was the unimpressive firmware which did not address the issues I discovered that saddened me. I was rather expecting more from Fuji though of course one might argue that these are early days. However, if I cannot rely on the AF and tracking then it would be pointless for me to change much as I liked the images from a number of members, the majority if not all were taken in good light.

Fuji have to work on quite a bit to be able to attract a wide range of professional users IMHO. I do wish it was different. While I love the feel of the X-T2 with in particular, the 50-140 it does remain that one still has to apply workarounds to make the system function almost second nature like a DSLR. I had considered running two parallel systems but that would really only be possible were I assured of the shortcomings as I perceive them being addressed. Others too have pointed out these and they truly are of concern. I'm not saying that as it currently exists does not work for everyone since clearly it does but as one who engages primarily in reportage photography, Fuji has not quite done enough to warrant a changeover.

Last edited:
If you did look at my posts before I was concerned about the AF and tracking under low light from the test, though limited that I conducted at Calumet. I said in my above post that the images posted yesterday were very tempting BUT that it was the unimpressive firmware which did not address the issues I discovered that saddened me. I was rather expecting more from Fuji though of course one might argue that these are early days. However, if I cannot rely on the AF and tracking then it would be pointless for me to change much as I liked the images from a number of members, the majority if not all were taken in good light.

Fuji have to work on quite a bit to be able to attract a wide range of professional users IMHO. I do wish it was different. While I love the feel of the X-T2 with in particular, the 50-140 it does remain that one still has to apply workarounds to make the system function almost second nature like a DSLR. I had considered running two parallel systems but that would really only be possible were I assured of the shortcomings as I perceive them being addressed. Others too have pointed out these and they truly are of concern. I'm not saying that as it currently exists does not work for everyone since clearly it does but as one who engages primarily in reportage photography, Fuji has not quite done enough to warrant a changeover.
Yep as you say, early days. IIRC it was a while before the X-T1 got a significant firmware update. The X-T2 is new out with an all new highly improved AF system, it's hardly surprising they haven't developed firmware to improve this yet. Maybe they won't, maybe to get any more improvements in AF it'll need different hardware. Fuji are one of the best for bringing out substantial firmware updates so I don't doubt for one second that if they ever do manage to improve AF performance with firmware they will do.

I still think it's too early to truly expect mirrorless to be able to go toe to toe with the best DSLRs in AF performance, I think it's still several years away. And then when they 'prefect' AF they're going to have to work on getting rid of EVF blackouts in order for the majority of sports shooters to make the switch. But mirrorless have come a long way in a short time and we shouldn't forget that (y)

Yep as you say, early days. IIRC it was a while before the X-T1 got a significant firmware update. The X-T2 is new out with an all new highly improved AF system, it's hardly surprising they haven't developed firmware to improve this yet. Maybe they won't, maybe to get any more improvements in AF it'll need different hardware. Fuji are one of the best for bringing out substantial firmware updates so I don't doubt for one second that if they ever do manage to improve AF performance with firmware they will do.

I still think it's too early to truly expect mirrorless to be able to go toe to toe with the best DSLRs in AF performance, I think it's still several years away. And then when they 'prefect' AF they're going to have to work on getting rid of EVF blackouts in order for the majority of sports shooters to make the switch. But mirrorless have come a long way in a short time and we shouldn't forget that (y)

Fully agree Friend.

As you say, while Fuji have made a lot of progress with mirrorless, what Canon and Nikon have spent years developing still put the main two ahead of the game. Just on AF and tracking will take a few years in catching up if I were to cast my mind back at the development of the 1D and 5D bodies. Again, as you suggested it is both firmware and hardware and the UI too needs improving. Workarounds are fine if you are not limited by time or opportunity to make a shot. Guess I'll be staying with Canon for the foreseeable but it would be interesting to observe and perhaps indulge a little if not fully, in the coming changes.

Further down the line, even should Fuji catch up with Canon and Nikon, would they be in for the long haul? It takes a massive operation to get up to that level and what they would be looking at is being the third, ' here for good near equal player ' in the industry with sufficient sales for it all to make sense. Apart from staying with those two they would have to leave Sony behind. It's a big ask. Others have tried it in the past. Pentax were once ahead of the game but gave way as we progressed into the eighties. Even the rather excellent LX was let down by a shrinking support service and market. Olympus made a stab in the late seventies and eighties but quickly disappeared from the pro market. What does the future hold for Fuji I wonder?

Last edited:
Just a shameless heads-up that I've listed my X-T2 power grip in Classifieds. Obviously I'm not a vertical grip person!

Brexit + £ weakness = lens prices have shot through the roof :(
I couldn't have afforded to, but I'm still really regretting not taking advantage of the Calumet prices last week [emoji17]

Brexit + £ weakness = lens prices have shot through the roof :(

******!!!, you're right - LCE have the 18-55 zoom in at £539.99!! and that includes £80 cashback - I bought a new XE-2 and 18-55 kit in March and that was just £540 total. The 55-200 is also £539.99 (I paid £379 in August - admittedly from Fuji Refurb) and the 10-24 is a whopping £749.99 (Incl £80 cashback) - I paid £569 just last month also from Fuji Refurb and thought that was dear!!

The 'common' 18mm - the one they were giving away a little while ago, is an eyewatering £459.99 (incl £80 cashback) - I think my lens buying is on hold

Last edited:
Back