The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

More great stuff. Love that second one.

What is it with Japan that suits classic chrome so well? You truly make it sing.

As much as I love CC I dont use it much, I can't get results anywhere close to yours. Perhaps I should fire up lightroom and have a fiddle... By the looks of things you drop the blacks a little, up the saturation a tiny amount, and do you add some blue? Either a slightly cool wb or via H/S/L?

Looks like he shot RAW from the exif data, and processed in LR, maybe chose CC from the profiles in LR and adjusted to preference. That is one of the advantages of shooting RAW, plus the ability to change WB in post. In fact, if you process at all, there's no real point to shooting Jpeg

If I stick with Fuji, and I think I will, I will get an XT-2 after Christmas. Will have to see what I can flog - The only upgrades that I can see that will benefit me are the improved controls and the better res [for cropping mostly]

For now though, I'm thinking lenses first. Pondering on trading this 27mm for that 35 F2, looks to be a stunner

Cagey I maybe interested in the 27mm if the price is right

What would the right price be? :D I paid €230 for it, which I thought was a great deal as it's like new. That translates into just over £200 and I'd have to ship to UK so say £210. You could probably find it cheaper I'm sure. But since I only bought it this week I can't lose on it. Unless you have a 35 F2 you'd like to trade? with a few quid your way? That would be ideal for me.

Better not turn this into a classified! er ... I went out and shot some long exposures tonight, but nothing worth posting, I will say that i completely forgot to use the phone app to control the cam :D

Last edited:
Can get it grey for £160 dude. But i appreciate it.
I didnt know there was an app!! jeeze im going to look into that now.

Yup, the app is actually fun to play with, you get live view on your phone, and it can be used to change aperture and as a remote shutter. You can also use it to transfer full res images from the camera to the phone, and from there upload them to FB/IG etc ... pretty cool.

Last edited:
I did some longish exposures on the fireworks last night, but where is the 2 second one?

In auto mode you'll get a few seconds at the right settings. Otherwise, it's Bulb mode and a remote shutter, like the app I mentioned.

Like it! Really like the yellows.

Did you see the article that Fuji tweeted last week about shooting in autumn?

https://fujifilm-blog.com/2016/10/31/atmospheric-autumn/

Thanks! And no, I hadn't. Some very good tips there, so thanks again.

I would add: autumn leaves show their colour best when backlit, but unless the sun is very low and the light soft, contrast will often be a challenge, which is when a cloudy day may actually come handy for a change...

If I stick with Fuji, and I think I will, I will get an XT-2 after Christmas. Will have to see what I can flog - The only upgrades that I can see that will benefit me are the improved controls and the better res [for cropping mostly]

For now though, I'm thinking lenses first. Pondering on trading this 27mm for that 35 F2, looks to be a stunner
If I get on with the XT1 I will probably consider the upgrade to the XT2 but the only real advantage for me would be the dual card slot and focus point joystick nipple thing. For my uses the improved AF and 24mp won't be of much benefit TBH as it still wouldn't replace my D750 so I'm not sure I could justify the extra cost just for the dual card and nipple ;)

Thanks! And no, I hadn't. Some very good tips there, so thanks again.

I would add: autumn leaves show their colour best when backlit, but unless the sun is very low and the light soft, contrast will often be a challenge, which is when a cloudy day may actually come handy for a change...
There's been some gorgeous light in these parts over the past few days when the sun's been lower in the afternoons, the leaves on the trees look like they're lit up. Unfortunately I've been working so not been able to capture it :(

If I get on with the XT1 I will probably consider the upgrade to the XT2 but the only real advantage for me would be the dual card slot and focus point joystick nipple thing. For my uses the improved AF and 24mp won't be of much benefit TBH as it still wouldn't replace my D750 so I'm not sure I could justify the extra cost just for the dual card and nipple ;)

The nipple for me too! :D that is one annoyance for me with the XT1, the buttons on back just don't protrude near enough. I seen a video where some guy puts moulded glue onto the direction buttons and the focus assist, might not be a bad idea

There's been some gorgeous light in these parts over the past few days when the sun's been lower in the afternoons, the leaves on the trees look like they're lit up. Unfortunately I've been working so not been able to capture it :(
Yeah, there was some amazing light around my work in the last week, but my phone was in no way up to the challenge. The other one I always get is when I go into London for work (about once a month or so) there always seems to be great light and spectacular skies on the way back. Which, trapped on a speeding train, I can do absolutely nothing with! The photographer's lament... :)

The nipple for me too! :D that is one annoyance for me with the XT1, the buttons on back just don't protrude near enough. I seen a video where some guy puts moulded glue onto the direction buttons and the focus assist, might not be a bad idea
TBH I find the buttons on the GSE better than the black one I tried. Not the best buttons in the world still, but better. They have a more positive click too but somehow still don't feel the quality they should. I also find the rear control dial doesn't protrude as much as I'd like to get an assured contact with you thumb. Minor gripes, but not sure why Fuji didn't make them better.

Yeah, there was some amazing light around my work in the last week, but my phone was in no way up to the challenge. The other one I always get is when I go into London for work (about once a month or so) there always seems to be great light and spectacular skies on the way back. Which, trapped on a speeding train, I can do absolutely nothing with! The photographer's lament... :)
Doesn't just happen to me then :LOL:

Didnt know there was a nipple involved,now im interested .

Didnt know there was a nipple involved,now im interested .

Nipples are life!

What extras do you lot possess for your cameras and/or lenses? Just pondering on a few here, a grip for one. Maybe a screen protector, a Nikon G adapter and maybe some lens filters - polarizer/ND

More great stuff. Love that second one.

What is it with Japan that suits classic chrome so well? You truly make it sing.

As much as I love CC I dont use it much, I can't get results anywhere close to yours. Perhaps I should fire up lightroom and have a fiddle... By the looks of things you drop the blacks a little, up the saturation a tiny amount, and do you add some blue? Either a slightly cool wb or via H/S/L?

Thanks!

@Cagey75 is spot on. My standard workflow is RAW into LR, with a standard curve applied on import then tweaked to taste. Something like +30 on shadows and whites and -30 on higlights and blacks. Plus a tiny uplift on Vibrance.

I have that set up with both Provia and Classic Chrome so I can see which fits the mood better (Japan seems to fit CC very nicely, so I've been using it a lot).

Then I'll tweak everything in a bit more detail till I'm happy.

That #2 actually has quite extreme levels compared to my usual, including a little turquoise in the shadows which I wouldn't normally bother with.

UREiqNn.png

4q8IRBD.png

Last edited:
Nipples are life!

What extras do you lot possess for your cameras and/or lenses? Just pondering on a few here, a grip for one. Maybe a screen protector, a Nikon G adapter and maybe some lens filters - polarizer/ND
Youve just given me an idea, just nipping over to the df thread ;)

I'm guessing ones here that have made the move to the XT2 from owning the XT1 are suitably impressed with the new features/24 MP's/speed/dual SD slots etc ?

Cheers;
Pete
Hi Pete, IMO I think it's a big step up in terms of features. Not that I've had chance to use it much. I'm sure someone here will be able to give you a better insight than me. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't regret the upgrade if that's what you thinking.

Any views on replacement batteries for xt2. I heard Jupio mentioned but nobody has the new s battery yet. Would the W126 be ok in xt2? At nearly £60 a pop for original 126s has anyone used these Jupio to know how they react in xt2 or do you recommend sticking with originals?

Another from what is rapidly becoming a "series" of desaturated London - might actually have to take a day to deliberately go and shoot to make it a proper series, rather than just grabbing a few shots between meetings!

Saints Crossing by Ash Smith, on Flickr
wOOOw beautiful capture Ash, it looks lovely and fresh, love the subtleness tones in the sky, great processing there. So which pre-set is this on the X-T10.....?......not CC, your personal pre-set I'm guessing ?

Fabulous.....

Pete

Last edited:
The nipple and the multi-tilt screen were the main drivers for me. The extra resolution was also welcome, but not as noticeable as I thought. Not bothered about the speed, but shutter lag is certainly improved. Had the grip and sold it to Barrysprout of this parish, who has yet to source a camera to fit it on!

Last edited:
Any views on replacement batteries for xt2. I heard Jupio mentioned but nobody has the new s battery yet. Would the W126 be ok in xt2? At nearly £60 a pop for original 126s has anyone used these Jupio to know how they react in xt2 or do you recommend sticking with originals?
It is said that the main purpose of the new batteries is better handling of high temperatures when using motor drive or video. Otherwise I think the best 3rd party are White Ex-pro ones.

The nipple and the multi-tilt screen were the main drivers for me. The extra resolution was also welcome, but not as noticeable as I thought. Not bothered about the speed, but shutter lag is certainly improved. Had the grip and sold it to Barrysprout of this parish, who has yet to source a camera to fit it on!

Hey, don't blame me! I've done my bit, it's all down to Jessops now. X-Pro2 will be posted to @tijuana taxi tomorrow so I'll have a full day with no camera body. I know for sure something exciting will happen here tomorrow afternoon that will require a longer lens than my X70 has.

It is said that the main purpose of the new batteries is better handling of high temperatures when using motor drive or video. Otherwise I think the best 3rd party are White Ex-pro ones.
Thanks for reply Stephen L. I will hardly be using video maybe the odd couple of minutes on holidays. Seen a vid on YouTube by Damian Brown who recommended the Expro White. At the moment I seem to be going through a battery very quickly but I think that's down to still getting used to setting up the camera and constantly changing things and looking at menus all the time lol. Once I get used to my setup and just take photos I'm guessing they will last longer. Do your u know if the Expro White can be charged in the Fuji charger or do you need the Expro charger?
Cheers,
Lyn.

Thanks for reply Stephen L. I will hardly be using video maybe the odd couple of minutes on holidays. Seen a vid on YouTube by Damian Brown who recommended the Expro White. At the moment I seem to be going through a battery very quickly but I think that's down to still getting used to setting up the camera and constantly changing things and looking at menus all the time lol. Once I get used to my setup and just take photos I'm guessing they will last longer. Do your u know if the Expro White can be charged in the Fuji charger or do you need the Expro charger?
Cheers,
Lyn.
They can be charged in the Fuji charger, but I invested in a twin charger - can't remember the make - which can fast-charge and displays charge progress in percentage. Think I got it from Amazonia.

Here's some more autumn colour from last weekend, hoping to get out again tomorrow. I still think the potential of cloudy days is much underestimated, but this one was so dark I could have used a tripod :D

Autumn leaves in Thrupp
by David Hallett, on Flickr

That's a nice shot Dave, good exposure and showing some lovely autumn colours.(y)

"At first I thought the colour balanvce it looked a tad on the yellow side which it may well be, but in this instance I think it all works very well"

George.

Back