The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So - before I get in trouble for more thread cluttering banter, back to the reason this thread exists.

I finally got out to use the new X-T1 :)

Firstly I have to say - to be creative - I need to get into the zone. Also camera functions have to be second nature so it's just natural when I'm trying to get a shot. This first time was a familiarisation day. Pro's and Con's. My main problem was nailing focus. Practise makes perfect right! I suspect the majority of Con's are down to me rather than the camera. And on getting into to the Zone - doesn't happen when you on a daddy daughter day in a Zoo with your 3 year old :LOL:

Tried out the 35mm and the 18 - 135mm. I think I need to give the 35mm more of a chance but I found myself leaning towards the 18-135mm this day.
I sold my 18-135mm, big mistake, a cracking lens for the money, great OIS, well built and much sharper than the lens snobs give it credit for.

I sold my 18-135mm, big mistake, a cracking lens for the money, great OIS, well built and much sharper than the lens snobs give it credit for.
I've not heard anyone say the 18-135mm is a bad lens TBH.

I can't be the only one who finds the Fuji lens hood pants. I have the XF 18-135 lens which is great but the lens hood is a real pain to get on ans off. Feels really flimsy and doesn't attach smoothly.

Has anyone else found this and have you sourced an alternative?

Anyone using Canon's genuine wired remote? Half the price of the RR-90. Just 2.5mm plug rather then the (less robust imho) connector on the Fuji. I have a YongNuo wireless remote/intervalometer that I modified the receiver to use a 2.5mm connector, and it works, but the flash foot of the receiver is stupidly tight on the Fuji flash shoe. I could hack it further, but feeling like stripping back and simplifying; no batteries, no faff, just a simple remote will do, and the Canon build quality will be good....

I can't be the only one who finds the Fuji lens hood pants. I have the XF 18-135 lens which is great but the lens hood is a real pain to get on ans off. Feels really flimsy and doesn't attach smoothly.

No, but in favour of the Fuji hoods - most reverse on the lenses nicely without making the lenses to bulky for stowage, which was always an annoyance with some of my Canon FF lenses. A tiny touch of plastic lube, or Vaseline ought ease things up.

The only Fuji hood I like is the 35mm f1.4 hood. All the others I've replaced with metal screw in hoods (some plain, some vented). Actually the 100-400 hood I still use, not much to do there though tbh.

Unfortunately I don't have the 18-135 so can't help you specifically for that lens. Just check the thread size and see what screw on hoods you like. You're restricted by 18mm, so don't go too mad with any deep hoods.

Here's a link to give you some ideas (they use a vented hood on the 18-135):

http://fujixtras.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/all-about-that-hood.html?m=1

Last edited:
Anyone using Canon's genuine wired remote? Half the price of the RR-90. Just 2.5mm plug rather then the (less robust imho) connector on the Fuji. I have a YongNuo wireless remote/intervalometer that I modified the receiver to use a 2.5mm connector, and it works, but the flash foot of the receiver is stupidly tight on the Fuji flash shoe. I could hack it further, but feeling like stripping back and simplifying; no batteries, no faff, just a simple remote will do, and the Canon build quality will be good....
Not a genuine Canon, but I recently bought a cheap copy for all of £2.50 and in all honesty it seems to work without issue. I mean, there's not much to fail I'd think. Either works or it doesn't.

Anyone using Canon's genuine wired remote? Half the price of the RR-90. Just 2.5mm plug rather then the (less robust imho) connector on the Fuji.
Yes I do. Works well. Only problem is that the connector is 90 degrees. Means you can use it with an L bracket, but it's PIA to remove once it's in place. If you don't use an L bracket then there should be no problems.

The only Fuji hood I like is the 35mm f1.4 hood.

Yeah I like the hood for that too, some say it's like a "squashed coke can" :D But I dig it. It's solid, tough and I don't feel I need a lens cap when I have that on.

The Hood on the 55-200 however was a bit of a PITA, I guess the one for the 18-135 would be similar? It took a little persuading to 'snap' into place.

My 55-200mm hood is a non stop nightmare. Can spent upwards of 5 minutes just trying to attach it to the lens before a shoot, trying to reverse it to go back in the bag is even harder, and usually gets given up on. Not had issues with the others, except occasionally knocking the 14mm one and getting it chopping a corner off in the image!

Yeah, I've got one and it works on my X-T2

I m glad I m not the only one that has issues with most of the Fuji lens hoods. The only ones I like and are easy to use IMO are the hoods for the 35mm f1.4, 18mm, 35mm f2 and the 100-400mm

Anyone else have card reading errors?

I've been getting write errors on my Leaxar 64gig 1000x on my X T1
I purchased 3 off Amazon I did email Lear but sadly they have never replied back.

Here are some shots taken from my xt1 and 18mm f2. Using black and white simulation straight out from the camera.

Attachments

• IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 29
My first lens purchase after getting the 27mm & 18mm with my X1pro deal 12 months ago it really is underrated as a super zoom
Can't see me ever selling it :):fuji:

My first lens purchase after getting the 27mm & 18mm with my X1pro deal 12 months ago it really is underrated as a super zoom
Can't see me ever selling it :):fuji:
I must say I was very impressed with it on my first day out, not had another real chance since then. Budapest has been nothing but heavy fog since my Zoo trip so I've felt uninspired to get out with the camera again. The warm pubs have been much more appealing :LOL:

I must say I was very impressed with it on my first day out, not had another real chance since then. Budapest has been nothing but heavy fog since my Zoo trip so I've felt uninspired to get out with the camera again. The warm pubs have been much more appealing :LOL:
Oh you sound like my kind of tog warm pubs at this time of year but Budapest is such a beautiful City even in the fog I would imagine ?

Looking at trading in all my kit for an xt-2. I know I want the 56mm but can't decide between the two 23mm's.

Has anyone had hands on with both? What are the pros/cons?

I purchased 3 off Amazon I did email Lear but sadly they have never replied back.
I broke with my tradition of only using Sandisk and purchased one of these. Mine has behaved itself so far, but I've read of a lot of people experiencing errors.

I have a couple of Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II 300MB/s cards and a 94MB/s as a backup.

The only Fuji hood I like is the 35mm f1.4 hood.

I like the hood, I don't like that it's a PITA to put on/remove the lens cap with the hood attached, or that you can't reverse the hood for compact storage.

Strange one. Gives me an excuse to get a larger card though I suppose :). Hope it's not a brand issue I've always bought and been happy with transcend.

Oh you sound like my kind of tog warm pubs at this time of year but Budapest is such a beautiful City even in the fog I would imagine ?
It is - my favourite European city - but need some visibility to photograph :D

What does T.O.G. stand for? I looked it up, but no obvious translation, and I'm sure you guys are not referring to duvets or Wogan.

Last edited:
It is - my favourite European city - but need some visibility to photograph :D

What does T.O.G. stand for? I looked it up, but no obvious translation, and I'm sure you guys are not referring to duvets.
I believe TOG is a short way of saying Photographer...... PhoTOGrapher :D

Ahh - thanks Fuguru. Please tell me off if I ever start using that term :coat:

PS Does anyone remember Yv? Has she left the forum?

Last edited:
Continuing Stephen's silhouette theme, I manage to get something more or less in focus at night :)

Outside the Maths Institute
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Very interesting DOF. I checked your EXIF. You are using a 55mm lens with f1.0?

Normally I would expect a very tight focus plane at f1.0 - instead the foreground is out of focus, and about 15 foot in, tight focus right up to the background. Was it really f1.0 or more like f18?

Last edited:
35mm 1.4 hood isn't great, can't put the lens cap on with it fitted and the supplied rubber hood cap just keeps falling off.

Yes it does look like a squashed coke can and given the above issues I'm not impressed

Back