The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

A few from my frustrating trip out to the park earlier. Macro just wasn't going to work out, so I removed the rings and just shot some wider shots with the 35mm. You can tell in the first there's a fair bit of breeze. When in closer this gets magnified along with everything else, may as well be a hurricane :D

Pollination by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

_DSF9747 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

About the best I did get using the rings, the bee was well behaved, again it was the breeze, everytime I clicked the shutter I swear the wind picked up:
Bumble by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Lovely set of images Sir, no fav's for me as I like them all very much.(y)

George.

So I thought people might find this shot interesting, if only as a demonstration of how X-Transformer can get detail out of a 16MP X-Trans file without strange worminess and so on. The other thing we can learn from it is that at the long end, the 18-55 zoom isn't quite as sharp in the corners as it is in the centre even at f/8, although it's certainly no slouch.

As others have said though, at the wide end it's amazing - I've made a 40"x30" mono print from it that I was entirely happy with (and so was the person on whose wall it hangs!). That's the only real problem with the 18mm f/2 prime - a very decent lens - the zoom is just too good!

Cleadale evening
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Very nice shot Sir, well composed with some really nice colours.(y)

George.

So I thought people might find this shot interesting, if only as a demonstration of how X-Transformer can get detail out of a 16MP X-Trans file without strange worminess and so on. The other thing we can learn from it is that at the long end, the 18-55 zoom isn't quite as sharp in the corners as it is in the centre even at f/8, although it's certainly no slouch.

As others have said though, at the wide end it's amazing - I've made a 40"x30" mono print from it that I was entirely happy with (and so was the person on whose wall it hangs!). That's the only real problem with the 18mm f/2 prime - a very decent lens - the zoom is just too good!

Cleadale evening

I know, you're all going to be fed up with my ignorance of the Fuji system.
Is X-Transformer some special program, or is it the Fuji one? What do you need to use it please? I have nothing to convert RAW files with at the moment, unless they are Nikon ones, as I have never used anythig other than the NX2 that came with the cameras. There doesn't seem to be a processing suite with the Fuji like there is with the Nikon.

Is X-Transformer some special program, or is it the Fuji one? What do you need to use it please? I have nothing to convert RAW files with at the moment, unless they are Nikon ones, as I have never used anythig other than the NX2 that came with the cameras. There doesn't seem to be a processing suite with the Fuji like there is with the Nikon.

It is a software specifically designed to process files from Xtrans sensors. You can download a free trial here: http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/xtransformer.html

I think the full version is around £35

A beautiful photo Dave, lovely colours (y)

Thanks, I just missed focus by a teensy bit on it, but I'll take it, the only decent shot I got macro-wise :)

Very nice Dave, lovely crisp landscape. The 18-55 certainly looks decent.

Very nice shot Sir, well composed with some really nice colours.(y)

George.
Thanks all three, very kind! :)

S'all right, there's always one :). It's a plugin for Lightroom made by the guy who did the Iridient raw processor. You can read about it here. http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/xtransformer.html

It doesn't do a lot, only RAW conversion, sharpen and noise reduction, but it only costs about 30 quid, so you don't need to get a lot of use from it. I think it's a bit better at detail than the default LR/Camera RAW conversion, but if you shoot portraits, there's no value in it. Landscapers should give it a go (there's a free trial) and see what they think. People who are fed up with squiggly worms in their grass or funny-looking stone textures should especially try it out. I keep the base sharpen on Low, and add more with Smart Sharpen in PS later if needed. Sharpening is a bit like salt, easier to add than subtract :)

Cleadale evening

That's a lovely shot, the light is just right.

A few from my frustrating trip out to the park earlier. Macro just wasn't going to work out, so I removed the rings and just shot some wider shots with the 35mm. You can tell in the first there's a fair bit of breeze. When in closer this gets magnified along with everything else, may as well be a hurricane :D

Pollination by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

_DSF9747 by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

About the best I did get using the rings, the bee was well behaved, again it was the breeze, everytime I clicked the shutter I swear the wind picked up:
Bumble by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Frustrating or not, you still got some lovely shots. The 35 is just magic! The bee looks great on my phone, too.

Frustrating or not, you still got some lovely shots. The 35 is just magic! The bee looks great on my phone, too.

Yeah love the 35 1.4, sometimes it'll miss focus for whatever reason and I swear I'll trade it :D but then I nail a few shots and I am reminded how good it is with a little care.

OK, here's a funny thing. I was starting to get concerned about the battery life of my X-T20, with the new W126S battery. I will normally do a few shoots on a single charge, but with the X-T20 I noticed that every time on the second shoot, my battery icon would be red. Noticed it again after the lavender shoot the other day (checked my battery level a couple of days later). Sure enough, it was nearly drained. Anyway, I charged the battery again, as you do, and popped it back in the camera.

What followed next shocked me to the core...my wife wondered into the living room and bold as brass picked up my camera, checked the battery level, then swapped out my battery for her recently depleted X-T1 battery!!! :eek: Turns out this has been going on for a while, hence my battery is always drained! Unbelievable, but at least there's nothing wrong with my camera :D

OK, here's a funny thing. I was starting to get concerned about the battery life of my X-T20, with the new W126S battery. I will normally do a few shoots on a single charge, but with the X-T20 I noticed that every time on the second shoot, my battery icon would be red. Noticed it again after the lavender shoot the other day (checked my battery level a couple of days later). Sure enough, it was nearly drained. Anyway, I charged the battery again, as you do, and popped it back in the camera.

What followed next shocked me to the core...my wife wondered into the living room and bold as brass picked up my camera, checked the battery level, then swapped out my battery for her recently depleted X-T1 battery!!! :eek: Turns out this has been going on for a while, hence my battery is always drained! Unbelievable, but at least there's nothing wrong with my camera :D

Well that gave me a laugh :D Tell her "well done" from me :woot:

:LOL:

This happens to me now and then with batteries for my vape mod, my better half and I both kicked the smokes a few years ago and took up vaping. She not only never buys batteries, mods, juice ... anything vape related, just depends on me to do it, but then she sneakily steals my fresh charged batteries when I'm not looking too! :cautious:

Now that you know you should set traps :D Pop old batteries into your camera and set it out like you're about to go shoot, wait till she takes the duds then put the fresh ones in

Well that gave me a laugh :D Tell her "well done" from me :woot:

I've passed the message on! Reminds me of a few years ago with a compact when rather than deleting unwanted shots, she'd just fill the SD card and then nick my spare to use instead. Then fill that one up as well :D

:LOL:

This happens to me now and then with batteries for my vape mod, my better half and I both kicked the smokes a few years ago and took up vaping. She not only never buys batteries, mods, juice ... anything vape related, just depends on me to do it, but then she sneakily steals my fresh charged batteries when I'm not looking too! :cautious:

Now that you know you should set traps :D Pop old batteries into your camera and set it out like you're about to go shoot, wait till she takes the duds then put the fresh ones in

Ahaha, glad it's not just me that's suffering! Apparently it's my fault for tidying the charger away :D What I need for a trap is one of those terrible unbranded batteries that shows full strength when charged but only lasts 30 shots or so before powering down!!!

Looks like my YN-560 flash finally kicked the bucket :( I have it 4 years, so can't really complain considering it's low price. Now all I got is the wee little flash that came with the XT-1 [which I do have to say, is actually pretty good for it's size, just needs some DIY to get the best from it] - Anyway, I'm wondering what you guys use for your fuji cameras off camera flash-wise? There was a time I had 3 units, and experimented with all kinds of set ups, but now I prefer one light, and usually set it manually. I would like to have the ability to control it at the camera, so I was looking at the Yongnuo 560 III/IV set with the TX trigger. Anyone using this? If not, what else do you recommend that is cheap, cheerful and powerful enough?

Nothing can beat the Yognuos for price to features. The Godox range would be next in line and could offer benefits such as TTL & HSS, lithium batteries, more power. But depending which of those are important to you the price can quickly escalate.

Classic, mystery solved without the embarrassing call to Fuji to complain. :clap:

I'm just a tad excited this morning as my 55-200 & 10-24 lenses are on the DPD van waiting to meet their new owner, I can hear their cries now!
Just on a serious note, is anyone here using Cokin ND filters with their 10-24? I have a set from my DSLR days and was wondering if they are viable on the Fuji. Are there any pitfalls from using this system with Fuji lenses?

I'm just a tad excited this morning as my 55-200 & 10-24 lenses are on the DPD van waiting to meet their new owner, I can hear their cries now!
Just on a serious note, is anyone here using Cokin ND filters with their 10-24? I have a set from my DSLR days and was wondering if they are viable on the Fuji. Are there any pitfalls from using this system with Fuji lenses?
Only the size. You'll need 100mm to avoid vignetting wide open. Not sure what size the Cokin filters and just as importantly, filter holder are.

Last edited:
Only the size. You'll need 100mm to avoid vignetting wide open. Not sure what size the Cokin filters and just as importantly, filter holder are.
Thanks Ian, I'll check but I think the holder is around that size.

I've used old ex canon flashguns with yongnuo triggers on my xt2 and they work fine off camera in manual mode.
Any flashgun/trigger combo should work fine used like this.

Quick question for XT2 users. Is there a momentary spot meter option? v On my Nikons I can assign a function button that when held will give me a spot meter reading regardless of what metering mode I'm in. When I let go, it's back to normal.

Yes, there is. This is the benefit of having so much time on my hands to RTFM (Read The F******* Manual) See page 224 in the little white book that came with your XT2. :pint:

Last edited:
Yes, there is. This is the benefit of having so much time on my hands to RTFM (Read The F******* Manual) See page 224 in the little white book that came with your XT2. :pint:

Brill. Not got one yet but that's good news. Thanks.

That sounds like a good result Sir, "ENJOY".(y)

"Sorry I can't help you with filters etc as I never use them"

George

That sounds like a good result Sir, "ENJOY".(y)

"Sorry I can't help you with filters etc as I never use them"

George
Thank you George.
No problem re the filters, I've not really used them very much either but I thought I may have a play with them at some stage assuming they will fit.

Nothing can beat the Yognuos for price to features. The Godox range would be next in line and could offer benefits such as TTL & HSS, lithium batteries, more power. But depending which of those are important to you the price can quickly escalate.

I've had 2 Yongnuo units to date, they are great for the money, but both of them eventually died also. I was looking at the Godox TT350F and the X1T trigger, not much more than a YN-560 IV + trigger, but you get TTL and HSS, might be worth it?

Question that somebody may be able to answer for me.,

If anyone has the XF-90mm lens and the 11&16mm ext tubes, is there any chance you could check out the minimum scene width for me. ie both tubes fitted plus the 90mm lens at its closest focus distance (probably in manual focus) and then read from a focused ruler etc the scene width in millimeters.

I'm figuring on getting the 90mm and wondered what sort of close up work I could do with it. I know eventually there will be an 80mm Macro lens available but I'd much prefer the 90mm (ie 135mm in FF terms) for general work and don't really want both.

Many thanks if anyone can help me on this.(y)

George.

I've had 2 Yongnuo units to date, they are great for the money, but both of them eventually died also. I was looking at the Godox TT350F and the X1T trigger, not much more than a YN-560 IV + trigger, but you get TTL and HSS, might be worth it?

I have got 2 of the 350Fs and the trigger and they work brilliantly. Godox have made Fuji versions of the bigger ones too so there is a great upgrade path if you ever want something bigger. I would love an ad200 at some point

You would maybe miss the power of the Yongnuo if you switched to the tt350. It's a handy little flash though and it really depends on how you want to use it.

Food for thought, cheers lads. That is the attraction of the yongnuo units, the power and fast recycle times. But they are big, where the Godox is neater and does have that TTL which I think would be real handy for doing off cam macro lighting. When you don't want to have to stop to fiddle with settings. I'll have to look at some reviews on both.

Question that somebody may be able to answer for me.,

If anyone has the XF-90mm lens and the 11&16mm ext tubes, is there any chance you could check out the minimum scene width for me. ie both tubes fitted plus the 90mm lens at its closest focus distance (probably in manual focus) and then read from a focused ruler etc the scene width in millimeters.

I'm figuring on getting the 90mm and wondered what sort of close up work I could do with it. I know eventually there will be an 80mm Macro lens available but I'd much prefer the 90mm (ie 135mm in FF terms) for general work and don't really want both.

Many thanks if anyone can help me on this.(y)

George.

George I've done this in the past, the pictures are lost in photobucket somewhere, I'll see if I can find them and post

If not I can repeat the experiment as I have all the gear (including copy stand etc)

George I've done this in the past, the pictures are lost in photobucket somewhere, I'll see if I can find them and post

If not I can repeat the experiment as I have all the gear (including copy stand etc)

That's real kind of you Sir, no rush whatsoever, as & when is just fine.(y)

I'm gonna be headin' on back to the UK in the not too distant future and kinda thought I might get my hands on the 90mm & 60mm before I leave. I can pick up the pair of them here in the 615 for a little over 900 bucks so thought I might just give it go.

George.

Posted these on the macro forum but may be of some interest here too :)

Have been trying to get a 55-200 working with a Raynox diopter but just could not get on with it at all - switched back to an 18-135 and am now up and running!

These were shot with XT-1 and 18-135mm at 100-135ish with Raynox DCR-250. Lighting with Nissin I40 flash and homemade diffuser.

Might treat myself to the 80mm macro when it comes but this setup will do in the meantime :)

Bee Macro
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Shield Bug Macro
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Just seen this and I love these photo's.

I'm a complete beginner (so I'm probably doing all sorts wrong) but you seem to be getting closer into to your subjects with your 18-135mm + Raynox 250 than I can with my 55-200mm + Raynox 250. Would that be right?

Could you share some details on your home made diffuser? I have a Nissin i40 flash and have no idea how to use it for macrophotography.

Cheers.

Looks like my YN-560 flash finally kicked the bucket :( I have it 4 years, so can't really complain considering it's low price. Now all I got is the wee little flash that came with the XT-1 [which I do have to say, is actually pretty good for it's size, just needs some DIY to get the best from it] - Anyway, I'm wondering what you guys use for your fuji cameras off camera flash-wise? There was a time I had 3 units, and experimented with all kinds of set ups, but now I prefer one light, and usually set it manually. I would like to have the ability to control it at the camera, so I was looking at the Yongnuo 560 III/IV set with the TX trigger. Anyone using this? If not, what else do you recommend that is cheap, cheerful and powerful enough?

Ok, turns out my flash is actually fine! It was a set of dodgy batteries. They were powering the unit on, but no flash was happening, then it would power down after a few minutes. I was sure the bulb had popped or something as it was giving warning beeps as if it was over heating. They were new batteries btw. Popped 4 fresh Duracells in there to make sure today, and it's working fine :/ I won't complain :D

I am still considering the Godox for TTL & HSS though.

Last edited:
Back