The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Finally pulled the trigger and moved from Canon (5D2) to Fuji (XT-3). Should arrive Tues next week and I'm looking at a 18-55 on the forum at the moment to add to it. Now comes the fun of relearning a new system after 15+ years of Canon DSLR use.

Finally pulled the trigger and moved from Canon (5D2) to Fuji (XT-3). Should arrive Tues next week and I'm looking at a 18-55 on the forum at the moment to add to it. Now comes the fun of relearning a new system after 15+ years of Canon DSLR use.

I switched from using Nikon for a decade to Fuji a few years ago and it was a lot easier than I imagined. There wasn't as much bells and whistles to ML cameras then [X-T1] of course, but if anything you should find the X-T3 a step up in many ways - it's an easy systems to get along with :)

I switched from using Nikon for a decade to Fuji a few years ago and it was a lot easier than I imagined. There wasn't as much bells and whistles to ML cameras then [X-T1] of course, but if anything you should find the X-T3 a step up in many ways - it's an easy systems to get along with :)

Thanks. I've been advised to take a look at Tony Phillip's ebook for it.

Ha ha if you could see my youtube history for the last year it's filled with various videos of comparisons on all the mirrorless systems and reviews and such.
I spend way too long over analysising which will be right for me but in the end it came down to Sony being too expensive for my blood, Olympus not feeling right in the hands when testing at the photoshow and Fuji having some really nice glass that doesn't overly break the bank too much.

Ha ha if you could see my youtube history for the last year it's filled with various videos of comparisons on all the mirrorless systems and reviews and such.
I spend way too long over analysising which will be right for me but in the end it came down to Sony being too expensive for my blood, Olympus not feeling right in the hands when testing at the photoshow and Fuji having some really nice glass that doesn't overly break the bank too much.

Same here, I have watched way too many YT reviews and or tutorials over the years, often just leave them running in the background so I can sub consciously take in the info :D but no lie, I have never read a camera manual.

I've thought about Sony too, but apart from better ISO performance and that 'FF look' with shallower DOF [which is way over done these days IMO] the lenses I would want to use for that system are just well beyond my budget. I could get an A7III with a cheap 35 and 85mm and it would cover me for most of what i shoot, but I know I'd always be wanting. If you ever want to get into wildlife/sports it can get very expensive. I don't see anything in the results that people post from that system to show it's any way superior to the likes of Fuji. I honestly think this thread here has some of the better images on this forum, often examples posted from older, cheaper Fuji gear - I think this system punches well above it's class

Everything I've read about the XT3 made it seem perfect for me. Really good portrait prime lenses - Check; a good 100-400 lens for wildlife/sports - Check; really good video capabilities - Check (although I may have to splash out on an Atomos to boost it).

I completely agree a lot of the images posted in the Fuji sub forum are amazing and blow my mind when you see what they're shot with. Hopefully I'll soon be able to contribute too.

A few shots of Natiya taken this afternoon, I was hoping to try some different lighting options, but she wasn't playing ball. So these are all I could grab.

DSCF2857 by rick phillips, on Flickr

DSCF2881 by rick phillips, on Flickr

DSCF2887 by rick phillips, on Flickr

DSCF2890 by rick phillips, on Flickr

Wait till she's older and doesn't want you taking pics of her at all! Our youngest is 11 now, not too long back she was my go to for portrait practice, but now she almost wants paying for posing :D AT least I have a back catalogue of images of her as a kid - treasure the few they do play ball for :)

Wait till she's older and doesn't want you taking pics of her at all! Our youngest is 11 now, not too long back she was my go to for portrait practice, but now she almost wants paying for posing :D AT least I have a back catalogue of images of her as a kid - treasure the few they do play ball for :)
She is 5 in January, she says she's happy to have pics taken, and when I have dragged my stuff down from the top floor she loses interest. :(

“Congrat’s” that’s a positive “Result” in my book, I’d be surprised if you’re disappointed “ENJOY”.

“The 18-55mm lens in my opinion has been wrongly labelled on more than one occasion as a “Kit Lens”, It’s far from that and is a very, very good lens indeed.”

George

No idea who that is :D But then I never even look at a manual when I buy gear, I just play with it until I get it, sometimes I'll watch a couple videos on how to set it up. I'm far too lazy to read :D
I’m the same, if I can’t sus out the controls and menus in the shop, I wouldn’t buy.
I admit to getting into it more after the purchase, but it’s initial impact that counts, the complicated stuff comes with time

I’ve been there, done that, it was a toss up between Panasonic G9 and Fuji XT3. Reviews on YouTube and shop demos decided the final,purchase.

I’ve been there, done that, it was a toss up between Panasonic G9 and Fuji XT3. Reviews on YouTube and shop demos decided the final,purchase.

It was very close for me between the G9 and the X-H1. I'd used Fuji in the past and switched to M43 for about 2 years so familiar with both systems. I originally switch to M43 because of IBIS, I just had to have it, then Fuji brought out the X-H1 but it was expensive back then. Always kinda knew I'd get one once it dropped down more to my budget range. The X-H1 and the G9 are very similar in many way, the build the grip, the leaf spring shutter, the IBIS ... I would have been happy with either I think. Just wanted to give Fuji another shot.

I switched this time last year - 5Dmk1 to X-T2, I’m surprised at how quickly my muscle memory was forgotten after shooting Canon for over 10 years. A few months after switching I was given a 5D to use and aside from feeling huge, I could barely work out how to switch it on!

Is there a way to quickly enable/disable back button focus on the X-T2? A few people used my camera at the weekend to get shots of my and everything was out of focus. I instinctively use back button focus and prefer it to using a half press of the shutter button, is there a way to switch back to shutter button AF quickly?

Like that Paul has a very serene feel to it.

Thanks, Graham (y)
It`s a pretty cool area of coastline. Just need decent weather (not an excuse ;))

I had to give CJ a little dig earlier as my 16mm still wasn't showing up on my acc as processing by 1pm [they promise dispatch by 12pm next working day] A few mins later it showed up as processing, and a little while after changed to dispatched so hopefully I'll have that mid week. it's the one niggle I have with them, every order I've had to send gentle reminders but then they would sort it asap.

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at London UK of a couple sitting on a bench giving the impression that they're not talking.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/400th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld,
We're Not Talking-03326 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at London UK of a couple sitting on a bench giving the impression that they're not talking.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this will be one of the shots included.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/400th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld,
We're Not Talking-03326 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.
Well spotted George, a refreshing change to faces

Is there a way to quickly enable/disable back button focus on the X-T2? A few people used my camera at the weekend to get shots of my and everything was out of focus. I instinctively use back button focus and prefer it to using a half press of the shutter button, is there a way to switch back to shutter button AF quickly?
Not sure if the X-T3 differs significantly from the X-E3 but you can't add anything from the user settings menu to the my menu nor can it be added to the Q menu.

once you get used to how the OIS behaves,

What do you mean get used to OIS behaviour? TIA
I'm used to lenses with no image stabilising and every time I've used lenses that have VR/IS/OIS, I have found that I frequently get blur that is actually caused by the stabiliser. The ideal option seems to be turn IS off if the shutter speeds are high enough that it isn't needed and if using it, always wait a moment for the stabiliser to "settle" before taking.

Some more with the 50-140mm
Chains by Kyle, on Flickr

KMW02270 by Kyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not sure if the X-T3 differs significantly from the X-E3 but you can't add anything from the user settings menu to the my menu for quick access nor can it be added to the Q menu.

I'm used to lenses with no image stabilising and every time I've used lenses that have VR/IS/OIS, I have found that I frequently get blur that is actually caused by the stabiliser. The ideal option seems to be turn IS off if the shutter speeds are high enough that it isn't needed and if using it, always wait a moment for the stabiliser to "settle" before taking.

Some more with the 50-140mm
Chains by Kyle, on Flickr

KMW02270 by Kyle, on Flickr
Beautiful sharp images there :)

Reactions: Kei
I had to give CJ a little dig earlier as my 16mm still wasn't showing up on my acc as processing by 1pm [they promise dispatch by 12pm next working day] A few mins later it showed up as processing, and a little while after changed to dispatched so hopefully I'll have that mid week. it's the one niggle I have with them, every order I've had to send gentle reminders but then they would sort it asap.

I just got a Sony RX100 mk5 from CJ and I was impressed, ordered about 7pm on Friday, got a e-mail yesterday saying its been dispatched and turned up at 8.30 this morning.

I just got a Sony RX100 mk5 from CJ and I was impressed, ordered about 7pm on Friday, got a e-mail yesterday saying its been dispatched and turned up at 8.30 this morning.

I think it's because I tend to order on weekends, they may be a bit slow to get going Mon Morns. Also I'm ordering from Ireland, I do allow a couple extra days on that, but I like to see it marked as at least processing when I check in - there was no sign of it by 1pm today via the tracking link, i wasn't even down as in process. I just sent a gentle reminder - got the move on :)

I'm a little eager as I bought this one blind too, there was no images of it but it's described as 'mint' - just don't know if it's boxed [don't really care about that] or if it comes with the hood - the other one they had didn't have a hood so I took the gamble.

Now there's one in classified with metal hood for less than I paid :D oh well, few days earlier I'd have nabbed that one. Someone go take it!

Last edited:
Not sure if the X-T3 differs significantly from the X-E3 but you can't add anything from the user settings menu to the my menu nor can it be added to the Q menu.
Thanks, I don't think it is the case, but will do a bit of digging. I guess I could always stop down lenses before handing the camera over, but that is still really hoping for the best.

Thanks, I don't think it is the case, but will do a bit of digging. I guess I could always stop down lenses before handing the camera over, but that is still really hoping for the best.

You can add virtually anything to my menu settings.

Back