The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Not posted in a while, or even visited much, because work has been more than a bit mad. But I've seen some lovely stuff in this thread, as usual. Last week, managed to get away for a few days in the Swiss Alps. Slightly disappointing weather - cloudless blue skies are great for high altitude walks, not so good for pictures. But I did get one nice showery day... :)

Overtaken
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Lovely atmospheric monochrome image good to see you posting again :)(y)

Playing with the 50mm F2

Berry on Ice by K G, on Flickr

This one is a significant crop, just happened to come across this in the garden. Saw the fly land and get stuck on part of a web, and the spider pouncing on it right away, they tussled for quite a bit, the fly put up a good fight but, this was the stage where the inevitable kicked in, the fly is stunned here, the bites beginning to take their toll and then it was wrap up like a Taco for lunch
Bugger by K G, on Flickr

Cracking couple of images (y)
Tell me did that strawberry taste as good as it look in the image ?
Nice work I’m guessing you’re pleased with the 50mm f2

Well, I received my X-T3 on Monday, and then Wednesday went on a whistle tour of Wales, and just got back. That is one way of learning to use a whole new system... Impressed, but still more to learn (some of my pictures are noisy so need to look into this, and the Tamron 100-400 was playing up a bit, but Fringer are willing to help so I will send the EXIF data).
View attachment 255352View attachment 255353View attachment 255354

“Excellent” set of Fujigraphs, nothing more to be said.

George.

X-T3 as arrived, so it's coming shopping, I'm sure I can find something to shoot on the way to Tesco's.

My 35 f1.4 seems to have a new lease of life though....

Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Cheriton (Folkestone) Kent UK of a Bell Tower that should have had two bells, but apparently according to the info inside the church the construction was never completed due to lack of finance, so it ended up with only one bell.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/500th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld

Unfinished Bell Tower-03329
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Another excellent piece of monochromatic work (y)

Another excellent piece of monochromatic work (y)

Thank you kindly fellow snapper, I sure do appreciate your reply.

George.

Cracking couple of images (y)
Tell me did that strawberry taste as good as it look in the image ?
Nice work I’m guessing you’re pleased with the 50mm f2

Cheers, I don't actually eat them these days. My daughter loves them though, stole it on her :D but left this one out for the birds after playing with it :)

Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Cheriton (Folkestone) Kent UK of a Bell Tower that should have had two bells, but apparently according to the info inside the church the construction was never completed due to lack of finance, so it ended up with only one bell.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/500th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld

Unfinished Bell Tower-03329
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Very nicely done George. The creepy tree branches and their shadows make for a nice, moody frame to the tower. (y)

Samyang 12mm arrived today. I think it’s going to be a fun lens with it’s close focusing ability.

I reckon my Fuji kit is sorted now. 12mm and 35mm primes, 16-55 and 55-200 zooms plus X-T2. (y)

Might get a very cheap, s/h body as a back-up but I reckon I’m set.
Enjoy! My only tip when using the 12mm close up is to use the focusing aids and check focus carefully. I missed quite a few in the beginning by not zooming in, but once I'd learned caution, it was great.

X-T3 as arrived, so it's coming shopping, I'm sure I can find something to shoot on the way to Tesco's.

My 35 f1.4 seems to have a new lease of life though....
Now you’re seeing what the improved AF is all about

Enjoy! My only tip when using the 12mm close up is to use the focusing aids and check focus carefully. I missed quite a few in the beginning by not zooming in, but once I'd learned caution, it was great.

Cheers Dave. Had a practise with it - click thumbwheel to zoom in and I’ve got the peaking switched on. Last day on shift tomorrow then three days off. Desperate to get to Wales and try the new gear out. :p

Very nicely done George. The creepy tree branches and their shadows make for a nice, moody frame to the tower. (y)

Thank you kindly fellow snapper, I sure do appreciate your reply.

George.

It's hard to tell from these images, but when you say noisey? Do you mean even at lower ISO? Because I know many people who switch to Fuji encounter 'noise' issues because of the lousy default settings for Fuji files in LR. They set sharpening to 40 which is the main culprit. Fuji RAF files do not need 40 sharpening, it's causing artifacts and unnecessary noise for no reason. If you require sharpening that high then use masking so it only affects the areas you actually want sharpened - Alt + the masking slider, wherever you see white is where sharpening occurs, don't hold back on this slider. otherwise I'd recommend resetting the default sharpening to 0 and only use when needed.

This is what I do anyway, and I've shot up to 6400 with the XH1 with pretty clean results.

Thanks to your advice, I have played with some more of the images that were grainy, and a great improvement
Social Media-0194.jpg
Social Media-0344.jpgSocial Media-0419.jpg

Recently moved to Capture One to process RAW and i'm finding the improvement quite dramatic. Still doing some very minor tweaks in PS until i've learnt how to replicate everything in C1 but i'm doing 98% of all adjustments with it now. Here's a snapshot taken on Sunday night.

DSCF8511Dell Quay C1-RAWF by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

Recently moved to Capture One to process RAW and i'm finding the improvement quite dramatic. Still doing some very minor tweaks in PS until i've learnt how to replicate everything in C1 but i'm doing 98% of all adjustments with it now. Here's a snapshot taken on Sunday night.

I've been messing with the free Fuji version of C1. Think I'm going to switch over as well. I'm OK with results from LR but C1 just seems to run better and produce nicer files. I like how it keeps the camera presets on import as well. My Adobe sub is up in November so might cancel it and go over to C1 fully.

“Excellent” landscape style Fujigraph. nuff said.

George.

Recently moved to Capture One to process RAW and i'm finding the improvement quite dramatic. Still doing some very minor tweaks in PS until i've learnt how to replicate everything in C1 but i'm doing 98% of all adjustments with it now.

I've been messing with the free Fuji version of C1. Think I'm going to switch over as well. I'm OK with results from LR but C1 just seems to run better and produce nicer files. I like how it keeps the camera presets on import as well. My Adobe sub is up in November so might cancel it and go over to C1 fully.

If you don’t mind me asking, are you guys working on a Mac/Mac Book or Windows. I’m getting close to getting a new personal unit (as I’m still on Windows 7) and obviously need to change pretty soon as support for W7 stops in January and my old laptop is not suitable to upgrade to W10. I’m still undecided If I should stick with Windows or change to an Apple unit as I already have an iPad Pro 12.9 and an iPhone. I don’t actually use or have LR any more and very seldom use my copy of PS, having had good results with Affinity but I’m extremely interested in equipping my next unit with a really good RAW software as the Affinity part of RAW is ok but still a bit clunky and does not save your edits.

George.

Cheers Phil, very kind of you.

Here's one more from the showery day - after that unfortunately the weather just kept getting better!

Lifting
by David Hallett, on Flickr
Another excellent piece of work !
The weather never appears to do what we want

Well, I received my X-T3 on Monday, and then Wednesday went on a whistle tour of Wales, and just got back. That is one way of learning to use a whole new system... Impressed, but still more to learn (some of my pictures are noisy so need to look into this, and the Tamron 100-400 was playing up a bit, but Fringer are willing to help so I will send the EXIF data).
View attachment 255352View attachment 255353View attachment 255354

Lovely set and a great way to go out and learn a new piece of kit :)(y)

If you don’t mind me asking, are you guys working on a Mac/Mac Book or Windows. I’m getting close to getting a new personal unit (as I’m still on Windows 7) and obviously need to change pretty soon as support for W7 stops in January and my old laptop is not suitable to upgrade to W10. I’m still undecided If I should stick with Windows or change to an Apple unit as I already have an iPad Pro 12.9 and an iPhone. I don’t actually use or have LR any more and very seldom use my copy of PS, having had good results with Affinity but I’m extremely interested in equipping my next unit with a really good RAW software as the Affinity part of RAW is ok but still a bit clunky and does not save your edits.

George.
I've been using iMac's for about ten years and would never go back to Windows. I used to own a company building & repairing PC's and could build a similar spec machine for a fraction of the cost but you get what you pay for, plus seamless integration with your iPad & iPhone. Other positives, they take up far less space, no noisy fans, superb screens and ease of use once you get used to Mac OS. Coming from windows initially you will be looking for 2 or 3 steps to achieve something you can do with one click on the Mac. I'm sure some die hard PC fans will disagree with me but having made a very good living out of PC's going wrong (software more than hardware) I thoroughly recommend a Mac.

fuji event on friday. i wonder if the x-pro 3 is likely to announced. so far im not impressed by the leaked design and omission of the d-pad..

I've been using iMac's for about ten years and would never go back to Windows. I used to own a company building & repairing PC's and could build a similar spec machine for a fraction of the cost but you get what you pay for, plus seamless integration with your iPad & iPhone. Other positives, they take up far less space, no noisy fans, superb screens and ease of use once you get used to Mac OS. Coming from windows initially you will be looking for 2 or 3 steps to achieve something you can do with one click on the Mac. I'm sure some die hard PC fans will disagree with me but having made a very good living out of PC's going wrong (software more than hardware) I thoroughly recommend a Mac.

Many thanks for that, I really don’t want this to turn into an Apple Vs Windows debate as I know there is a specific thread for this sort of thing.

I’m extremely interested to know what software for handling Fuji RAW files works better on, ie an Apple or Windows unit. As I said I’m quite happy using Affinity for my PP work apart from the fact that the RAW converter in that software is not as good as I would like. I also convert all my Fuji RAW files to DNG as it suits me better (don’t ask why) for one reason or another but affinity will not open them correctly on my iPad Pro. The developers of Affinity say for them to open correctly on an iPad the Fuji RAW files must be in their native format and uncompressed. I’m wondering if this is the same as they would be on a Mac/Mac Book. They all open correctly on my Windows unit. This is why I’m interested in knowing if software such as C1 will eliminate this problem on either platform ie Apple or Windows.

George.

Back