The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

What’s the image quality of the XH-1 compared to the X-T3 ?

I have to say I am stunned by what comes out of the X-T3. The amount of detail is stunning, the colours are wonderful and I’m also impressed by the low levels of noise.

I don't think there's much in it really, the XT3 delivers images a tad sharper with finer detail in low light shots but the X-T2 and H1 have slightly less noise at higher ISO - other than this [based on direct comparisons I've watched online when the T3 was released] the T3 has better AF and video features.

My eldest, Kayley, who's been having a lot of trouble with confidence lately. She has cerebral palsy, and uses crutches all the time - but ... she wanted photos where this isn't an issue, a thing .. I looked for different ways to have her free stand so I could do upper body shots, we did use a light stand at one point ... but in the end against a wall worked out best. because of this I got shadows, and not quite the backdrop I'd planned for. Oh well, the most important thing is that the subject is happy, and after seeing these she was [already has copies of them up on her IG] - but it was also the first time I used the X-H1 for any kind of portrait shoot .

These were all using the 50mm F2

DSCF3965 by K G, on Flickr

DSCF3964 by K G, on Flickr

DSCF3950 by K G, on Flickr

One of the fascinating things about photographers and photography is how we all look at images in our own way and very rarely is that the same as another photographer. From your comments you see the shadows as being a sort of defect, whereas I see them as adding something to the image.

This was reinforced after reading your description of your daughter's disability. The feeling I got from looking at the images, particularly the second one, and before reading your notes, was "There may be shadows in my life, but I'm overcoming them." To me you have captured that sentiment perfectly.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience of using the Fuji Teleconverters with the 50-140mm f/2.8 zoom? How big a hit does IQ take? Would the 55-200mm outperform the teleconverted 50-140mm at 200m?

Last edited:
One of the fascinating things about photographers and photography is how we all look at images in our own way and very rarely is that the same as another photographer. From your comments you see the shadows as being a sort of defect, whereas I see them as adding something to the image.

This was reinforced after reading your description of your daughter's disability. The feeling I got from looking at the images, particularly the second one, and before reading your notes, was "There may be shadows in my life, but I'm overcoming them." To me you have captured that sentiment perfectly.

Thanks for that :) I'm fine with the shadows now, I did say to her while shooting that they added some depth - it was more a case that originally I had a slightly different style in mind. I was going to shoot her away from the wall to darken the background and light her at a cross angle, Rembrandt lighting pretty much. It wasn't a planned shoot or anything, she'd just been given the cardigan from her mam and I thought it looked really nice on her, I'd also just been shooting our other daughter's 12th birthday party so was in that mode :) There was no posing either I let her pose however she wanted, and the ones we picked out were more candid. The second one for example was where I caught her off guard pondering on what pose she'd like to do - turned out that one worked by itself :)

How do you find the lens in terms of AF tracking? I'm thinking of picking one up for introduction to wildlife and birds etc.

Also, how close does it focus in the real world? I've found it hard to find review that cover AF tracking etc...
Hi Paul,

I haven't really used the XF55-200 much regards sport or birds in flight, mainly our still sitting border collie dog etc...... although I'm sure you could add a teleconverter for added lens length although you'll lose a stop. You could check out the XF100-400mm but much more money involved.

The XF55-200mm lens is a mighty fine quality lens and very versatile I found. Highly recommended.

Here's an image I shot with the XF55-200mm and got professionally printed
LARGE and famed a few years ago and hung proudly on our wall......it oozes quality in real life....!

Pooch by APM Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ordered an XC50-230 mk 2 from UKCamerStore today, should arrive Tuesday, supposedly new and only £208 incl VAT, 2 year warranty and delivery, couldnt resist at that price. Guess it's a grey import at that price. Tbh I think it's worth a punt at that price, paid by CC if it all goes belly up and I doubt I'd buy a grey if it was an expensive lens or body (which might seem odd to some folks).
Did a comparison test between my 5D3 24/70 f2.8 mk1 L and the little Fuji (x-T10) with its plastic XC 16-50 kit lens and was astounded by how well the Fuji compares.
Only a few shots, 9 in total, so hardly exhaustive or a real test but the weather was rubbish, so I was shooting f8, Iso 200 and between 1/125 and 1/250. Odd thing is in virtually all cases both cameras exposed well but gave different readouts for the same shots. Compared OOC Jpegs. Canon colours were perhaps a tad more accurate and the Fuji ones were a little brighter and popped a bit more, so OOC jpegs didnt need any post processing (IMO).
The Canon really scores on the viewfinder though, much brighter/bigger, but overall really pleased with the little camera.

I’m thinking of coming back to the Fuji fold... I love the files from the Sony, but I’m not enjoying it the way I did my XH1. I may just dip my toe back in and get a used XH1 and a 23 and see where it leads me

I'd thought about buying a Sony a while back, in fact I had an A7III bought on here but the seller wouldn't ship to Ireland without very expensive insured post so I had to drop out. I wasn't that sad about it, just bought the XH1 instead, it was either or. Sony cameras and lenses don't really entice me generally, there's something about their gear I dislike - the ergonomics, the style [or lack of more like] they just seem a bit bland. But the output is really impressive, the noise handling and low light performance and the AF system looks about the best around right now. We've seen many switch back to other systems after trying Sony for a bit though, saying similar to you, that they just don't enjoy using Sony gear. I think the pros like them because to them it's more a tool, the end result matters most and they need the best performance. But for the hobbyist, we need the gear to feel right, it needs to be enjoyable to use. And you definitely get this with Fuji

Last edited:
I'd thought about buying a Sony a while back, in fact I had an A7III bought on here but the seller wouldn't ship to Ireland without very expensive insured post so I had to drop out. Sony cameras and lenses don't really entice like most fo the others, there's something about their gear I dislike - the ergonomics, the style [or lack of more like] they just seem a bit bland. But the output is really impressive, the noise handling and low light performance and the AF system looks about the best around right now. But we've seen many switch back to other systems after trying Sony for a bit saying similar to you, that they just don't enjoy using Sony gear.

That’s pretty much it in a nutshell. I’m developing a wedding business and worried about the af/eye tracking/low light abilities. But at the end of the day, all of my other weddings and events have been shot on an XT2 and XH1. I had a scare at the last wedding when the Fuji’s let me down in an unexpected low light situation. Hence the jump. But looking at all the images I have printed and framed indoors and my favourite shots online, they’re all Fuji. And I include my time with Canon in that too.

That’s pretty much it in a nutshell. I’m developing a wedding business and worried about the af/eye tracking/low light abilities. But at the end of the day, all of my other weddings and events have been shot on an XT2 and XH1. I had a scare at the last wedding when the Fuji’s let me down in an unexpected low light situation. Hence the jump. But looking at all the images I have printed and framed indoors and my favourite shots online, they’re all Fuji. And I include my time with Canon in that too.

It would be nice if they released a FW update to improve the eye AF/face detect on the older models, I find it works pretty well for me but in more controlled environments. Sometimes though it can drive you nuts - with the Face detect finding faces in foliage! I was doing a little macro earlier, it wasn't anything extreme or close to 1:1 so I had AF on. I forgot I'd left face and eye detect on from shooting people yesterday, and it started locking on to bits of leaves behind the subject [a fly at the time] - it would be great if it locked on to the actual insect :D but nope, it's seeing faces in the leaves ...

Seems my Nikon body is now sold, very soon I'll be ordering these lenses from E-infinity;

XF10-24mm - XF55-200mm - XF56mm - XF27mm

When I get my Nikon lenses sold I'll probably order a X-T2 body, WEX have them for £599, or keen on a minty/clean used one.

Peter

It would be nice if they released a FW update to improve the eye AF/face detect on the older models, I find it works pretty well for me but in more controlled environments. Sometimes though it can drive you nuts - with the Face detect finding faces in foliage! I was doing a little macro earlier, it wasn't anything extreme or close to 1:1 so I had AF on. I forgot I'd left face and eye detect on from shooting people yesterday, and it started locking on to bits of leaves behind the subject [a fly at the time] - it would be great if it locked on to the actual insect :D but nope, it's seeing faces in the leaves ...

Have the firmware updates stopped for the H1 and T2?

I'd thought about buying a Sony a while back, in fact I had an A7III bought on here but the seller wouldn't ship to Ireland without very expensive insured post so I had to drop out. I wasn't that sad about it, just bought the XH1 instead, it was either or. Sony cameras and lenses don't really entice me generally, there's something about their gear I dislike - the ergonomics, the style [or lack of more like] they just seem a bit bland. But the output is really impressive, the noise handling and low light performance and the AF system looks about the best around right now. We've seen many switch back to other systems after trying Sony for a bit though, saying similar to you, that they just don't enjoy using Sony gear. I think the pros like them because to them it's more a tool, the end result matters most and they need the best performance. But for the hobbyist, we need the gear to feel right, it needs to be enjoyable to use. And you definitely get this with Fuji

I did that convinced my self I wanted/needed a Sony, produces some stunning IQ but didn't enjoy it that much and funny enough all the prints I have on my wall are from. Fuji.

I did that convinced my self I wanted/needed a Sony, produces some stunning IQ but didn't enjoy it that much and funny enough all the prints I have on my wall are from. Fuji.
Did you just copy and paste my post ?! Lol

Have the firmware updates stopped for the H1 and T2?

I think so, the last update [2.01] for the H1 was back in January and it was a minor bug fix: "1. The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases, recorded images can be overexposed. "

The last significant update was Dec 2018, this improved IBIS, in particular for video and lifted the 4K record time limitation. I believe it improved AF in general also and fixed the judder in video that some experienced prior to the update. I never used the camera pre-V2.0 so can't say how much it was improved but I noticed in some older reviews of the camera complaints about bad AF for video and that juddering, where the IBIS would suddenly shift the frame. This doesn't happen now and I find video AF, even in 4K pretty decent. But it can always be improved, as we mentioned, eye-AF could be much better.

Last edited:
I’m thinking of coming back to the Fuji fold... I love the files from the Sony, but I’m not enjoying it the way I did my XH1. I may just dip my toe back in and get a used XH1 and a 23 and see where it leads me

New H1 at e-infin £779

I think so, the last update [2.01] for the H1 was back in January and it was a minor bug fix: "1. The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases, recorded images can be overexposed. "

The last significant update was Dec 2018, this improved IBIS, in particular for video and lifted the 4K record time limitation. I believe it improved AF in general also and fixed the judder in video that some experienced prior to the update. I never used the camera pre-V2.0 so can't say how much it was improved but I noticed in some older reviews of the camera complaints about bad AF for video and that juddering, where the IBIS would suddenly shift the frame. This doesn't happen now and I find video AF, even in 4K pretty decent. But it can always be improved, as we mentioned, eye-AF could be much better.

That’s a shame. I hope fuji aren’t going to leave the H1 out to dry completely
New H1 at e-infin £779

Thanks Trev, that’s as good as used from MPB

Hi Paul,

I haven't really used the XF55-200 much regards sport or birds in flight, mainly our still sitting border collie dog etc...... although I'm sure you could add a teleconverter for added lens length although you'll lose a stop. You could check out the XF100-400mm but much more money involved.

The XF55-200mm lens is a mighty fine quality lens and very versatile I found. Highly recommended.

Here's an image I shot with the XF55-200mm and got professionally printed
LARGE and famed a few years ago and hung proudly on our wall......it oozes quality in real life....!

Pooch by APM Photography, on Flickr

Gorgeous!

Well, that certainly gives me food for thought. I could trade my 50mm f/2 prime to get most of the way there... Losing that aperture would hurt, but I do have (somewhere) a minolta 50mm 1.7 that's pretty great...

Gorgeous!

Well, that certainly gives me food for thought. I could trade my 50mm f/2 prime to get most of the way there... Losing that aperture would hurt, but I do have (somewhere) a minolta 50mm 1.7 that's pretty great...

I've considered doing similar, for winter I do like to have a tele lens. But since I've started using the 50F2 more I'm really liking it. Not sure I want to sell it on already. After buying it recently I barely used it as I was enjoying the 16 1.4 so much but I've been giving it more time. It's so good for portraits and I've even used it as a 'psuedo' macro today with a Raynox attached. it's bitingly sharp, and fast too.

Some of the images I shot using the 50F2 with the Raynox attached from today. It gives 0.6x magnification, so nothing like 1:1 but I find Fuji Raw files allow for pretty sizable crops without losing too much IQ

Ladybird by K G, on Flickr

Yellow dung fly on the hunt by K G, on Flickr

Flesh Fly by K G, on Flickr

I see the rumour sites are saying Fuji have another camera beyond the xpro3 about ready to be announced. Not going to link to any as there's no real information beyond that.

X-H1 has been flying off the shelves because of recent slash-sales ... Fuji have apparently told some of these rumour sites they see the H line co-existing alongside the T line in future ... they have said in the past that there wouldn't be an X-H2 anytime this year, but things may have changed, could this rumoured new camera in the works be the X-H2? (y)

I see the rumour sites are saying Fuji have another camera beyond the xpro3 about ready to be announced. Not going to link to any as there's no real information beyond that.

X-H1 has been flying off the shelves because of recent slash-sales ... Fuji have apparently told some of these rumour sites they see the H line co-existing alongside the T line in future ... they have said in the past that there wouldn't be an X-H2 anytime this year, but things may have changed, could this rumoured new camera in the works be the X-H2? (y)

It'll happen about 25 minutes after I buy an XH1

I wonder if they`ll sneak a FF H2 into the mix.

I wonder if they`ll sneak a FF H2 into the mix.

Fuji won't go ff. No point - they are trying to make a very small medium format sensor the logical step - the thinking being performance is then about 2 stops better than aps-c and thus more distinct.

I've considered doing similar, for winter I do like to have a tele lens. But since I've started using the 50F2 more I'm really liking it. Not sure I want to sell it on already. After buying it recently I barely used it as I was enjoying the 16 1.4 so much but I've been giving it more time. It's so good for portraits and I've even used it as a 'psuedo' macro today with a Raynox attached. it's bitingly sharp, and fast too.

Some of the images I shot using the 50F2 with the Raynox attached from today. It gives 0.6x magnification, so nothing like 1:1 but I find Fuji Raw files allow for pretty sizable crops without losing too much IQ

Yeah, I really like the 50mm f/2, it's a sweet lens and I'd rather not lose it but I do really fancy a telephoto. For the time being I have an ancient tamron 35-210mm lens which... Works. Has character I guess. For macro I've reversed the 23mm 1.4 before which is nuts. Jan19_93.jpg2019_0414_12133900.jpg

I'll probably do what I've done many times before, get an old MF 200 F4, as I really only use a tele lens for garden birds and the odd bit of general wildlife. I don't do BIF or sports or go on Safari so an expensive tele lens like say the 100-400 would probably be wasted on me. Though .... I think if I did have the 100-400 I would get out more and make use of it. But for now something like an old Nikon 200 F4 AI, which is a sweet lens, will do the trick. With so much going on at home and Christmas expenses incoming I would have to sell the 50 to fund a 55-200. And I know I'd use it for a couple months and sell on like I did last time I owned it.

I'll probably do what I've done many times before, get an old MF 200 F4, as I really only use a tele lens for garden birds and the odd bit of general wildlife. I don't do BIF or sports or go on Safari so an expensive tele lens like say the 100-400 would probably be wasted on me. Though .... I think if I did have the 100-400 I would get out more and make use of it. But for now something like an old Nikon 200 F4 AI, which is a sweet lens, will do the trick. With so much going on at home and Christmas expenses incoming I would have to sell the 50 to fund a 55-200. And I know I'd use it for a couple months and sell on like I did last time I owned it.
I have an old F5.6 300 Manual Focus FD Canon Lens if I need a long lens (I have a 200 as well but I think that's got a fungus infection) and about to get a 50-230 (XC) for the same reason, I understand the optics in the zoom are pretty good, albeit a "slow" lens but as I don't do BIF or motorsport I'm not that fussed, worst case scenario I'd use my 5D3 for that stuff anyway. As posted above UKCamera are selling the zoom for a very low price, if it arrives I'll put up a post, they only have 3 in stock (probably 2 now).

I have an old F5.6 300 Manual Focus FD Canon Lens if I need a long lens (I have a 200 as well but I think that's got a fungus infection) and about to get a 50-230 (XC) for the same reason, I understand the optics in the zoom are pretty good, albeit a "slow" lens but as I don't do BIF or motorsport I'm not that fussed, worst case scenario I'd use my 5D3 for that stuff anyway. As posted above UKCamera are selling the zoom for a very low price, if it arrives I'll put up a post, they only have 3 in stock (probably 2 now).

I had the 50-230 couple years back and it's a decent enough lens. Little dark for what I need, and I find MF as quick for perched birds, maybe even quicker when you pre-focus and can catch a few shots in the same spot without having to re-focus.

Here is another from the tamron 35-210. It looks like it's heavily edited but this is almost out of camera jpeg - just minor tweaks on my mobile phone. This was facing away from a very large red moon, hence the very crazy light quality. I love telephoto landscapes, I think this is around 200mm or so, handheld and quite high iso. 55-200 would be sharper wide open, have image stabilisation and be lighter and smaller to boot... Hence gas.Jan19_127.jpg

Ordered an XC50-230 mk 2 from UKCamerStore today, should arrive Tuesday, supposedly new and only £208 incl VAT, 2 year warranty and delivery, couldnt resist at that price. Guess it's a grey import at that price. Tbh I think it's worth a punt at that price, paid by CC if it all goes belly up and I doubt I'd buy a grey if it was an expensive lens or body (which might seem odd to some folks).
Did a comparison test between my 5D3 24/70 f2.8 mk1 L and the little Fuji (x-T10) with its plastic XC 16-50 kit lens and was astounded by how well the Fuji compares.
Only a few shots, 9 in total, so hardly exhaustive or a real test but the weather was rubbish, so I was shooting f8, Iso 200 and between 1/125 and 1/250. Odd thing is in virtually all cases both cameras exposed well but gave different readouts for the same shots. Compared OOC Jpegs. Canon colours were perhaps a tad more accurate and the Fuji ones were a little brighter and popped a bit more, so OOC jpegs didnt need any post processing (IMO).
The Canon really scores on the viewfinder though, much brighter/bigger, but overall really pleased with the little camera.

Tell us what you think when you receive it, I'm looking for a zoom for my trip to India soon. I've been contemplating the 18-135, 55-140 and this one XC.

Any opinions?

Excellent set of captures Keith..!! As a flower and sometimes bug shooter myself I know/understand how hard it is to produce these images.

Great photography and great skills.

Peter

Back