The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Does anyone here use extension tubes on their Fuji? I would like a go at some macro stuff, but likely wont do enough to warrant buying a new lens. Looking on amazon the Fuji tubes cost around £65 for either the 11mm or 16mm.

There are however loads of third party tubes that come as a complete set for around £30 and claim to enable all the same auto features as the fuji tubes. Has anyone used any? Would the original Fuji tubes be better in any way?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MK-F-AF3-E...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9GC15ECQBP9B6HCCHZS0

Thanks
Ben

Beautiful portrait Kris - lovely subtle light..! How many lights did you use..? Did you select 'Classic Chrome' Fuji pre-set colour for this edit..? Superb Sir!!

Great skills/talent/photography.

Regards;
Peter
Thanks very much Pete. I shoot with an Ilford HP5 sim on as I find colour distracting when shooting but this was a Raw file I edited with one of my own presets. :)

Edit: Sorry, and as far as lighting goes, this is a120 Octa feathered over the top, firing straight down about two foot in front of the subject. No other lights. Shot at my home :)

Last edited:
Does anyone here use extension tubes on their Fuji? I would like a go at some macro stuff, but likely wont do enough to warrant buying a new lens. Looking on amazon the Fuji tubes cost around £65 for either the 11mm or 16mm.

There are however loads of third party tubes that come as a complete set for around £30 and claim to enable all the same auto features as the fuji tubes. Has anyone used any? Would the original Fuji tubes be better in any way?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MK-F-AF3-E...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9GC15ECQBP9B6HCCHZS0

Thanks
Ben
I read that some of the 3rd party tubes don't work, and it's a good idea to check the Fuji website for compatability. I'm also thinking of going that way (tubes) or maybe a Raynox lens? I have a Canon macro lens (FD and EF) so could either adapt the FD but it would be manual focus/aperture or the EF with a smart adapter (but at £300 I'm not sure). A set of tubes makes more sense if 3rd party ones work ok. So I'm interested if you get an answer. I also need to adapt my Canon ring flash, hotshoe trigger voltage should be ok, just mounting might be a little more difficult but apparently Canon do an adapter for a 58mm lens thread.

Not a great shot at all, but now I`ve taken this at ISO 12800 with the X-E3 + XF23mm f2 I will be keeping this cracking little camera set up even though I will get rid of the 16-55mm sometime.

Pickfords by Dave, on Flickr
That's pretty good for ISO 12800! :)

My best to date so far was over 20,000 iso in a night club with a Fuji X.
The X-E3 looks like a great camera, it look like a great middle ground piece of kit between an X100F and and X-T3 or even H1, especially if you already have a load of lenses.

Thanks
Ben

I had a set of Meike macro tubes the last time I shot with Fuji. They cost about £25 and they were just fine, AF worked pretty good - at lesser magnifications at least.

[edit] just checked your link, that looks like the ones I had, they're grand. I used to use them with the 35 1.4, with the 16mm tube attached to the 35 1.4 you get 0.6x, so a bit better than 1:2 [looking back at my old images I didn't use both tubes stacked much as the working distance was minimal, better to just use the 16mm and crop] . They would work better with a shorter FL but then the working distance is reduced, anything below 23mm and the lens would be touching the subject [using both tubes] , so I'd stick to using a 35mm or 50mm with them

Last edited:

Thanks
Ben

I got that exact set and works fine for me, personally cant see the point of paying more for the Fuji ones.

I had a set of Meike macro tubes the last time I shot with Fuji. They cost about £25 and they were just fine, AF worked pretty good - at lesser magnifications at least.

[edit] just checked your link, that looks like the ones I had, they're grand. I used to use them with the 35 1.4, with both tubes you get decent macro. They would work better with a shorter FL but then the working distance is reduced, anything below 23mm and the lens would be touching the subject, so I'd stick to using a 35mm or 50mm with them
And zoom lenses?

And zoom lenses?

For zoom lenses I prefer to use a Raynox, it's more suited to longer FL. The longer the focal length the more magnification with the raynox, the opposite to macro rings where shorter FL offers more.

Since I got the Raynox 250 I've never felt the need for tubes tbh, as with the Raynox you can just snap it on and off quickly [at least any lens with filter thread between 52 and 67mm] - my 50F2 for example requires a 46 to 52mm step up ring to properly attach the Raynox, but I've discovered it clips on nicely with the lens hood reversed. The Raynox 250 on the 50mm offers about same as a 16mm tube on a 35mm, in around 0.6x - for 1:1 I would need 100mm+, so any of the tele lenses would work great. I was using an adapted Canon tele lens for a while but now that's gone, looking at something like the 50-230, or a vintage prime

MattHiRes-0046sml.jpg

XT3 | 35mm 1.4 | F9 | 1/125 | ISO 80

"Cracking" portrait style Fujigraph, nothing more to be said.

George.

Not a great shot at all, but now I`ve taken this at ISO 12800 with the X-E3 + XF23mm f2 I will be keeping this cracking little camera set up even though I will get rid of the 16-55mm sometime.

Pickfords by Dave, on Flickr

Very nice still life style Fujigraph, liking this one very much.

George.

For zoom lenses I prefer to use a Raynox, it's more suited to longer FL. The longer the focal length the more magnification with the raynox, the opposite to macro rings where shorter FL offers more.

Since I got the Raynox 250 I've never felt the need for tubes tbh, as with the Raynox you can just snap it on and off quickly [at least any lens with filter thread between 52 and 67mm] - my 50F2 for example requires a 46 to 52mm step up ring to properly attach the Raynox, but I've discovered it clips on nicely with the lens hood reversed. The Raynox 250 on the 50mm offers about same as a 16mm tube on a 35mm, in around 0.6x - for 1:1 I would need 100mm+, so any of the tele lenses would work great. I was using an adapted Canon tele lens for a while but now that's gone, looking at something like the 50-230, or a vintage prime
Great info thanks.
Looks like I might go Raynox on the 50-230.
I'd be interested in fitting the Raynox to the lens which is 58 dia then the Canon adapter (58 dia) to attach the ring flash to the Raynox.
Looks like I might need step-up rings, although as the Raynox clips it might not hold the weight of the ring flash?

Last edited:
Great info thanks.
Looks like I might go Raynox on the 50-230.
I'd be interested in fitting the Raynox to the lens which is 58 dia then the Canon adapter (58 dia) to attach the ring flash to the Raynox.
Looks like I might need step-up rings, although as the Raynox clips it might not hold the weight of the ring flash?

The Raynox minus the clip can be screwed on to the front of a lens but it's an oddball 43mm thread, you can use a step up ring this way for more stability, but you might need a couple to go from 43 to 58. The snap on clip is pretty sturdy when attached to a lens but I don't know it it would hold your ring flash, couldn't say as I never used one

On the 50-230 the Raynox 250 will give you 1:1 at around 100mm, and up over 2:1 magnification at around 200mm. It can be very tricky and takes getting used to. I'd recommend using it between 70-90mm to get the hang of it, 60-70mm if you're just after close ups and want to use AF, beyond 90mm you're best to switch to MF and use the ol' move your body in and out to focus method, that's what I mostly do for anything 1:1 or above

Two good images Rick, but loving the #1 image.
Thanks Dave, taken in slippers and shorts... it wasn't warm! The first one is from my little ones play room window.

Thanks
Ben

I use a set of these (link) and they're great.

Have a look here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevejelly/albums/72157691299732093

Well out of curiousity, I have a MCEX-16 coming on Wednesday (minty from MPB). Had to see what it can do attached to the 80mm. Couldn`t resist :D

I've stuck mine on the 60mm and you're almost touching the subject :oops: :$

Haha sould be interesting with the 80 then :) I have wondered for a while, and reading all this, sparked me off again. Gotta stop reading things, and just look at the pix ;)

Back