The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Out and about earlier today and popped into a local charity shop to find this Carl Zeiss Jena 28mm f/2.8 lens with a price tag of £4.95. I just need an adapter now. Can anyone suggest/recommend me an adapter please for Fuji X? This lens is a baynot mount, not screw thread mount.

Carl Zeiss Jena 28mm by APM Photography, on Flickr

XP1 | 135mm | f5.6 | 1/4 | iso 200
It should be praktica bayonet. So a praktica B adapter ought to do the trick. K&F Concept seems to be the common choice.

Flash...

I bought a couple of wireless triggers from Amazon only to find that my old Canon based Sigma flash unit no longer works :( So, mu little Nissin i40 is fine, but a bit small. What's peoples opinions of either the Godox TT685, or the TT350?

I know it will be manual with the off camera triggers, but I like the idea of TTL if I need it...

Flash...

I bought a couple of wireless triggers from Amazon only to find that my old Canon based Sigma flash unit no longer works :( So, mu little Nissin i40 is fine, but a bit small. What's peoples opinions of either the Godox TT685, or the TT350?

I know it will be manual with the off camera triggers, but I like the idea of TTL if I need it...
I use the Godox 860ii and it is superb. The battery life is brilliant if you are gong to be a heavy user. Otherwise I think the 685 is the same but with 4 AA's to power it.

Last edited:
Hi all.

Does anybody know please how compatible the Fringers are on a T-10?

ta much.

Hi all.

ta much.

As much as they are to the other bodies Dale. It just converts the fitting to the third party lens with no AF (at least I don't think the Fringers have AF....)

As much as they are to the other bodies Dale. It just converts the fitting to the third party lens with no AF (at least I don't think the Fringers have AF....)

Thanks Steve.

I thought they would allow AF. I'm sure there were some issues with T-10 compatibility though. A bit of reseaarch required.

Viltrox maintains all electrical contacts, so aperture (if the lens doesn't have aperture ring e.g. XC range) and AF "should" work. Or so their website says. I should imagine Fringer is the same as it's a "smart" adapter.
I believe in both cases that compatability isn't across the board with EF lenses, some work well, some a bit and others not at all (or badly).

Viltrox maintains all electrical contacts, so aperture (if the lens doesn't have aperture ring e.g. XC range) and AF "should" work. Or so their website says. I should imagine Fringer is the same as it's a "smart" adapter.
I believe in both cases that compatability isn't across the board with EF lenses, some work well, some a bit and others not at all (or badly).

Didn’t realise the Fringers had AF. I’ve let all my Canon glass go now though, other than my old 50 1.8 Mk1 for my EOS 620 film body.

Kind of gets to you doesn't it? It becomes more than "just a camera", it's something that you want to go out and use....
It is precisely that, sad as it sounds, I feel part of a community rather than a corporation, it may well be delusional but I genuinely feel that people using this system care. And this thread is evidence of that.

Only slightly related to this, but it's is exactly why I enjoy using film cameras too. It's not just about the results, but the actual act of going out with your camera becomes a huge part of the fun. There's also a really good community of like-minded people on this forum which makes talking about film cameras and posting photos really rewarding too. It's hard to describe why I used film cameras to people who aren't interested in them, but what you've both said pretty much nails it!

I found an extra m42 - Fuji FX adapter when I was having a clear out at the weekend.
It's in the classifieds for a fiver if anyone needs one.

Hi all.

ta much.

Hi Dale,

I have the Viltrox Canon to Fuji adapter Mkii and that allows auto focus on my X-H1.

Managed to grab this on the way home from work again.. so nice to have a camera with you for moments like this.

A5OTY.jpg

I'm visiting the York Christmas market in a couple of weeks and want to do some street shooting at night. As this is a new area of photography for me at night Im tying myself in knots about which lens to take. I don't want to take a full selection of lenses as its a short break holiday>

My thoughts are my 16-55 nice and sharp but no OIS. The 18-55 has OIS but slower lens or the 23mm 1.4 no OIS. I'll be using XT3
Thoughts?

I'm visiting the York Christmas market in a couple of weeks and want to do some street shooting at night. As this is a new area of photography for me at night Im tying myself in knots about which lens to take. I don't want to take a full selection of lenses as its a short break holiday>

My thoughts are my 16-55 nice and sharp but no OIS. The 18-55 has OIS but slower lens or the 23mm 1.4 no OIS. I'll be using XT3
Thoughts?

When I have shot street at night, my go to lenses are my 16m 1.4 or my 23mm 1.4 (With a preference for the 16)

The 16 1.4 is what I would use, great for close ups at a market and to get in full stalls without having to stand a mile back. I'd take my 50F2 for street. The beauty of only owning 2 lenses is you bring your full kit most of the time.

In your case I'd just go with the 23 1.4, the perfect in-betweener

When I have shot street at night, my go to lenses are my 16m 1.4 or my 23mm 1.4 (With a preference for the 16)
The 16 1.4 is what I would use, great for close ups at a market and to get in full stalls without having to stand a mile back. I'd take my 50F2 for street. The beauty of only owning 2 lenses is you bring your full kit most of the time.

In your case I'd just go with the 23 1.4, the perfect in-betweener

Thanks both. That helps settle my usual overthinking when it comes to my lenses! (Resists going out to buy 16mm ... GAS )

Thanks both. That helps settle my usual overthinking when it comes to my lenses! (Resists going out to buy 16mm ... GAS )

Aha, well, I quite fancy the 23 1.4, but it'd be one or the other. I don't like having primes anyway close in FL. What makes the 16mm special though is that close focusing ability, the 23 doesn't get near as close. Sometimes the wider angle is really useful, for example yesterday I was shooting some buildings for a project and it was nice to have the ability to take in large-ish building down tight streets. Of course you can do this with your 16-55, as for that purpose you're stopped down anyway. I had the zoom for a while, very nice lens, but I always wished it could focus closer and I did feel I needed the extra stops of light for indoors. With that lens I was either on the wider or longer end so having the 16 and a 50mm made more sense.

I think the 23mm would be far better for street, with the 16mm you really need to get up close or you will be cropping a lot

Last edited:
Aha, well, I quite fancy the 23 1.4, but it'd be one or the other. I don't like having primes anyway close in FL. What makes the 16mm special though is that close focusing ability, the 23 doesn't get near as close. Sometimes the wider angle is really useful, for example yesterday I was shooting some buildings for a project and it was nice to have the ability to take in large-ish building down tight streets. Of course you can do this with your 16-55, as for that purpose you're stopped down anyway. I had the zoom for a while, very nice lens, but I always wished it could focus closer and I did feel I needed the extra stops of light for indoors. With that lens I was either on the wider or longer end so having the 16 and a 50mm made more sense.

I think the 23mm would be far better for street, with the 16mm you really need to get up close or you will be cropping a lot

Thanks, Keith for your insight it's appreciated. I rarely use the 23mm as I have the 16-55 on 90% of the time. So a good chance to experiment with the 23!

Haven't been out for a few days but I managed to work on some shots from last week. Another in my favourite place close to home, but this time in the opposite direction, looking south over the top of the village and towards Shaftesbury.

Combined 3 images, shot on the T3 & 35 f1.4 @ f9

After the harvest by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Last edited:

OK, here follows a bit of moderately-on-point rambling...

I found myself having come full circle in a way...circa 2011 I was shooting a Canon 5D Mk1 with a Mk1 16-35...I found the 16-35 to be horrid between 16 and 20...so I got me the 5D Mk3 with a Zeiss 21/2,8. This lens was an interesting choice but I wanted that little longer to close the gap towards my 50mm.

Now here comes the full circle bit...I sold my 5D3 in favour of the X-T3 and the first lens I bought was the amazing 10-24. Now I have many lenses to buy first but I am considering getting, as a LAST priority, two primes and they are the 14/2,8 and 23/1,4. Yes they overlap with the 10-24 and for this reason they will be last in line...in the meantime I thoroughly enjoy your opinions and seeing images from wide primes.

Thanks and cheers,

Anton

OK, here follows a bit of moderately-on-point rambling...

I found myself having come full circle in a way...circa 2011 I was shooting a Canon 5D Mk1 with a Mk1 16-35...I found the 16-35 to be horrid between 16 and 20...so I got me the 5D Mk3 with a Zeiss 21/2,8. This lens was an interesting choice but I wanted that little longer to close the gap towards my 50mm.

Now here comes the full circle bit...I sold my 5D3 in favour of the X-T3 and the first lens I bought was the amazing 10-24. Now I have many lenses to buy first but I am considering getting, as a LAST priority, two primes and they are the 14/2,8 and 23/1,4. Yes they overlap with the 10-24 and for this reason they will be last in line...in the meantime I thoroughly enjoy your opinions and seeing images from wide primes.

Thanks and cheers,

Anton

Trust me, part of my reason for spreading out FL is budget ;) if I could I'd have a bunch of them, cross over or not and would have kept the zoom too. But when I can only have 2-3 lenses I like them all to be very different to one another

Trust me, part of my reason for spreading out FL is budget ;) if I could I'd have a bunch of them, cross over or not and would have kept the zoom too. But when I can only have 2-3 lenses I like them all to be very different to one another

I hear you on budget...for now my dream kit is 10-24, have it, the 35/2 which is en-route to my bag...then and in that sequence the 56/1.2, the 100-400, the 90/2, the 80 macro and the 23/1.4. I might consider the 14/2.8 and I might even be tempted to consider the 8-16 and, as a very last resort the 50-140...

Anything worthwhile you think I might be missing? Other than a second X-T3 body maybe?

Last edited:
I hear you on budget...for now my dream kit is 10-24, have it, the 35/2 which is en-route to my bag...then and in that sequence the 56/1.2, the 100-400, the 90/2, the 80 macro and the 23/1.4. I might consider the 14/2.8 and I might even be tempted to consider the 8-16 and, as a very last resort the 50-140...

Anything worthwhile you think I might be missing?

I would say you're more than well covered there, a second body would make more sense than more lenses.

Well, my ideal would be the 16 1.4, 35 1.4, 56 1.2, 80 2.8 [the 90mm would be nice but I love a bit of macro too] and the 100-400. That would be me done, dusted!

I usually fill any gaps with old manual lenses, I enjoy using them now and then. I just haven't really put any time into researching ones I might like [part of the fun of it] for a while. I'm finding I don't use the 50F2 near as much as I thought I might, so it's possible I might sell or trade that at some point for something else. What, I don't really know. I like to have some kind of tele lens for bids during winter, and the 55-200 would be an option.

Back