The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I know of hardly ANY lens that is as good wide open as stopped down so by this reasoning the 1,4 stopped down to 2 is as good but with one stop in the bank...

I might be ignorant but, excepting for low light / indoor shooting,

I'm just talking about the F2 compared to itself stopped down, at F2 there's a kind of glow effect on close ups, you don't get this with other lenses wide open. The 35F2 or 50F2 don't do it, they are both very sharp wide open.

All lenses are sharper stopped down, but the better ones are sharp enough even at their widest - like the 16 1.4 - I use that wide open without worry all the time.

I'm just talking about the F2 compared to itself stopped down, at F2 there's a kind of glow effect on close ups, you don't get this with other lenses wide open. The 35F2 or 50F2 don't do it, they are both very sharp wide open.

All lenses are sharper stopped down, but the better ones are sharp enough even at their widest - like the 16 1.4 - I use that wide open without worry all the time.
This is just amazing how reviews can differ from user experiences...

see here:

https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/984-fuji16f14

Although not totally unimpressed, these guys don’t rate this lens as good as the 14...

See their 14 review here:

https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/807-fuji14f28

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know what "inconsistencies" you found in the results using the 50-140. I don't use it often, but when I do, I'm very happy with the results.
Same here. My experience is that it is a great lens.
Mine is sharp one minute blurred the next, even with shutter speeds that should guarantee a sharp image. Mechanical shutter or electronic shutter and across all the different IS modes. When it is sharp, the results are pretty incredible. I also observe poor results for near infinity on the left or right side of the image. Centre is extremely sharp one side is blurred, other side is usually ok. Suggests an intermittent issue with the OIS and decentering to me.

FWIW, Lenstips measure the 23/2 & 23/1.4 at virtually the same resolution at f2 at both the center and edges.

This is just amazing how reviews can differ from user experiences...

see here:

https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/984-fuji16f14

Although not totally unimpressed, these guys don’t rate this lens as good as the 14...

See their 14 review here:

https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/807-fuji14f28

It's not a bad review really, but I have found that site to be a little inconsistent over the years, they used to go under a different name [photozone]. And of course, there's no review can match personal experience.

But look to more other reviewers, like good ol' Gordon Laing at cameralabs: https://www.cameralabs.com/fujifilm-fujinon-xf-16mm-f1-4-r-wr-review/

Or Fstoppers: https://fstoppers.com/originals/fujifilm-xf-16mm-f14-r-wr-review-76661

That's more like what I experience using it. Very hard to fault - there is some CA wide open at times [in harsher light] but easily cleaned up. And that 15cm close focusing is just a joy for me

Also most of these reviewers tested it on the XT1, I can tell you on the XH1 it's great

Last edited:
Mine is sharp one minute blurred the next, even with shutter speeds that should guarantee a sharp image. Mechanical shutter or electronic shutter and across all the different IS modes. When it is sharp, the results are pretty incredible. I also observe poor results for near infinity on the left or right side of the image. Centre is extremely sharp one side is blurred, other side is usually ok. Suggests an intermittent issue with the OIS and decentering to me.
Seems odd, sounds like there is an issue with this, I don't experience this at all.

Seems odd, sounds like there is an issue with this, I don't experience this at all.
I didn't think it was normal considering the praise this lens receives. I don't tend to keep any of the shots that come out poorly but this shot illustrates the poor performance on one side. (it's quite mild in this particular shot, hence why I haven't deleted it)

Full image (ƒ/6.4 134.4 mm 1/800s)
49106299851_f2316af2a9_h.jpg

Crops from the central area from left to right. (best viewed in full)
50-140-Issue by Kyle, on Flickr

Recently got an X-T2 from the Fuji refurb store and noticed that the exp comp dial is lose and has a small amount of play back and forth. I googled to see if this is normal and only found one example of this. The person experiencing the problem was apparently told by fuji tech that it's normal but I'm dubious.

Here's a video that I found that shows the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem or should I get in tough with fuji to look at a repair/replacement?

Mine has a little bit of, well I’m not sure what I’d call it. It’s certainly not ‘loose’. When turning the EC dial it’s well tensioned, tight and reassuringly ’clicky’. If I push up and down on the dial, as in the video, fairly hard, I can hear the slight click as in the vid. No visible movement though. I’m not worried about it at all, feels perfectly fine to me. Got a five year warranty anyway. :p

Last edited:
Cracking image Jason

So, all you wonder folks...

Your thoughts on the 23/2 vs 23/1,4 please?

The 1,4 just looks right, gets a better review on Photozone / Opticallimits but a local X-photographer mate of mine says to go for the f/2... that said, he doesn’t own either and mostly shoots with longer lenses.

Welcome to the mad house, Anton :)
I haven`t used the 23 f2, but love my 1.4. Probably my most used lens. Loads of pix on my flickr. I always prefered 35mm on ff over 50mm for some reason, so for me 23 was a no brainer.

Me neither. I don't use it often as it's a focal length that is a bit too long or a bit too short for me (although useful at the odd wedding) but when I do I'm always happy with the results. I have considered letting mine go to get a 23 & 16 f1.4 which I think I'll end up using more often. I have the 90mm for a longer FL portrait lens.

Awesome photos Dave, all diverse and capturing the mood. Particularly like the b&w dog and capturing the other photographer.

Thank you Donna, the dog belongs to a trumpet player who played so still have to edit those and the photographer Andrew Roach is a Fuji Pro who gives me some tips.

Adjustments.JPG

I just felt I had to share this. I enjoy my landscape photography and would lug around my Canon 5Div along with 2-3 lenses, and my Manfrotto tripod.
Well a little satchel has arrived today, and a smaller tripod off eBay yesterday (had researched it and sounded good), and I just can’t contain my excitement on how small my get up is now and how it has renewed my love for being out with the dog and camera and can take it with me so more often.
I still do have a larger lens and the other tripod but that’s just being silly trying to fit in this bag [emoji6]

Just a Horsey pic. Processed in C1 fuji express, and finished in PS. I`m still deciding on the RAW processing, but love PS argh ...

T2 55-200 (164) @f6.4
Horse by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Great light in this. (y)

I‘ve used LR and PS for ages but really think C1 is the way, for me, for Fuji files. I’ve a couple of months left on my Adobe sub. Need to make up my mind if I’m going to keep it as I still use PS for cloning and other tweaks.

View attachment 261063

I just felt I had to share this. I enjoy my landscape photography and would lug around my Canon 5Div along with 2-3 lenses, and my Manfrotto tripod.
Well a little satchel has arrived today, and a smaller tripod off eBay yesterday (had researched it and sounded good), and I just can’t contain my excitement on how small my get up is now and how it has renewed my love for being out with the dog and camera and can take it with me so more often.
I still do have a larger lens and the other tripod but that’s just being silly trying to fit in this bag [emoji6]

Great stuff. Makes all the difference doesn’t it. I almost feel like I’ve rediscovered photography since ditching all the heavy Nikon gear.

I‘m super impressed by my 16-55 but still have the 16-80 nagging away at me, saying it would suit me better - image stabilisation and a bit more reach for telephoto landies. It would make a nice one-lens walkabout kit.

Great stuff. Makes all the difference doesn’t it. I almost feel like I’ve rediscovered photography since ditching all the heavy Nikon gear.

I‘m super impressed by my 16-55 but still have the 16-80 nagging away at me, saying it would suit me better - image stabilisation and a bit more reach for telephoto landies. It would make a nice one-lens walkabout kit.

I have seen some reviews that aren’t so favourable, but mine is sharp and suits me perfectly. I have no need at the moment for any other lens, I can’t say for how long but just enjoying what I have.

Ever since I left Canon for Fuji 3 years ago I have missed the range of the 24-105 f/4 which was hardly ever taken off the camera. I have had the 18-55 since moving to Fuji and have always been irritated at how often I had to change to the 50-140 for that extra reach.
I have now traded the 18-55 for the 16-80 and life is so much better - it fills my needs so much better.
Edit: no problems with sharpness...

View attachment 261063

What tripod is that? I’m on the search for a compact tripod.

I was very pleased when I realised that my lightweight kit is under 1kg, which means I can easily take it on mountain bike adventures.

Great light in this. (y)

I‘ve used LR and PS for ages but really think C1 is the way, for me, for Fuji files. I’ve a couple of months left on my Adobe sub. Need to make up my mind if I’m going to keep it as I still use PS for cloning and other tweaks.

Thanks, mate :) Nice early ish morning.
I`m determined to use C1 for my raw processing, and finishing up in ps .. I`ve been using it since CS3, so muscle/brain are more used to it. I`m way too old now to start a new learning curve lol I did manage to renew my CC subs for £8.32 pm, so pretty ok with that.

What tripod is that? I’m on the search for a compact tripod.

I was very pleased when I realised that my lightweight kit is under 1kg, which means I can easily take it on mountain bike adventures.

It’s a K&F Concept TC-2335. Admittedly I haven’t taken it out yet, but seems sturdy enough, lightweight carbon and has a hook on to weight it down. Reviews seem good, and I’ll probably trial it this weekend

The 56 is getting some use. I was surprised to see you selling the 90.

Thanks Rick, yes I did love the 90 but it would only get used in the summer months plus I never gave the 56 a chance when I first had it. At the music hall with the 90 it was pushing it sat in front so the 56 will be better for me most of the year round.

Thanks Rick, yes I did love the 90 but it would only get used in the summer months plus I never gave the 56 a chance when I first had it. At the music hall with the 90 it was pushing it sat in front so the 56 will be better for me most of the year round.
If know what you mean, the Canon 135l f2 was my favourite Canon lens, but it only worked in a few circumstances. They both produce beautiful images when it's the right moment. The 56 is s superb lens too, in fact they all are!

Here's one from today, just natural light coming in through patio doors.

X-Pro 1, XC 16-50 lens, f5.6, 50mm, ISO 800, 1/13

I’ll stop boring everyone with my pics from my recent day in Wales soon...

...but until I do. :D

A place I saw on a photo vlog a while ago that I’ve struggled to find. Finally managed it the other day. A few miles up the road, loads of tourists were struggling for parking spaces to get a view of Snowdon. I had this view all to myself and free parking as well. If any place deserves the tag ’hidden gem’ then it’s the lovely Llyn y Dywarchen.

Llyn y Dywarchen
by Jason, on Flickr

Back