The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Help please,Im getting that Fuji itch again and Im in a quandary between X100F and XE3 with 23 mm lens.Camera will mainly be used for holidays and walks with dog,does anyone have same cameras and can give me some guidance.
Thanks
My opinion on that is that they are pretty similar, I'd choose the X-E3 and have the option to change lenses, they are also some great deals on them at the moment. I am seriously considering one myself....

Help please,Im getting that Fuji itch again and Im in a quandary between X100F and XE3 with 23 mm lens.Camera will mainly be used for holidays and walks with dog,does anyone have same cameras and can give me some guidance.
Thanks
My opinion on that is that they are pretty similar, I'd choose the X-E3 and have the option to change lenses, they are also some great deals on them at the moment. I am seriously considering one myself....

I'd actually go the other way, the X100 series cameras are really swiss army knives, yes they may have only a single focal length but they are surprisingly flexible.

I've owned X100, X100F, X-E2 and a whole pile of others and my wife has the XF23mm F2 (on an X-T20)

The X100F offers the following above the X-E3+XF23mm combo, leaf shutter, magnesium alloy construction, built in ND filter, built in flash, OVF/EVF, digital teleconverter (surprisingly useful), its much more pocketable, more function buttons (easier to customise), more discreet, and in general is an all round nice thing to use.

If you want a wider angle add the superb WCL converter, its exceedingly light and very pocketable.

I can also vouch for the toughness of the X100F, mine has taken a real (physical) pounding, and despite its battle scars works fine.

I'd actually go the other way, the X100 series cameras are really swiss army knives, yes they may have only a single focal length but they are surprisingly flexible.

I've owned X100, X100F, X-E2 and a whole pile of others and my wife has the XF23mm F2 (on an X-T20)

The X100F offers the following above the X-E3+XF23mm combo, leaf shutter, magnesium alloy construction, built in ND filter, built in flash, OVF/EVF, digital teleconverter (surprisingly useful), its much more pocketable, more function buttons (easier to customise), more discreet, and in general is an all round nice thing to use.

If you want a wider angle add the superb WCL converter, its exceedingly light and very pocketable.

I can also vouch for the toughness of the X100F, mine has taken a real (physical) pounding, and despite its battle scars works fine.
Thanks both,I am actually favouring the 100F having owned a couple of X70s .
Advice much appreciated

Thanks both,I am actually favouring the 100F having owned a couple of X70s .
Advice much appreciated
Obviously it is a very much personal choice, I had the X100T and F and sold both as I preferred the IC cameras. Either way, you won't be disappointed. :)

I have been buying a few items from a guy that imports Viltrox stuff direct from the factory in Guangdong, just after Xmas I got myself a Viltrox 85mm f1.8 AF lens, its very impressive considering the price. He mis-priced the lens I got but still let me have it for the bargain price of £100.
Since he realised his mistake he has put his price up to £200 but I still think that it is a very good price for a never used, boxed 85mm f1.8 lens. I obviously dont need another but, would anyone be interested if he/when he gets more in? If so I can put it into the calassifieds section. Not sure how often he gets deliveries but I think its around once a month. Mainly lens adapters and mainly Canon to Sony but every now again does get Fuji items.

So I've just been to my 'local' store to try out a bunch of Fuji stuff and if I'm honest I've come away quite disappointed as I didn't love it as much as I'd hoped. The X-T30 was a cool little camera, but as soon as you put anything bigger then the 23mm f2 on it felt too small. The ~X-T3 felt much better in the hand, but tbh as soon as I put the bigger lenses on (16-55 f2.8 and 100-400mm) it didn't feel great to me, and weirdly the grip made it feel worse. I loved the camera with all the dials and controls at your fingertips, and really like the clickable control wheels (not sure why nobody else has done this? To my knowledge anyway ;)) but it just didn't feel right to hold and as such it doesn't feel like the right move getting rid of my EM1-II and Z7 which feel great ergonomically to go for something that doesn't feel as good. At the end of the day, part of the move is to get my mojo back and feel like picking up the camera again, and if it feels a bit awkward then I'm less likely to use it :( Bit gutted really, got my mind set on it.

Tried the X100F out as well to see if I'm going to like the X100V. Overall I really like it, although I'd need to get one of those thumb grips/rests. I think I'm still set on getting the X100V.

@Mr Perceptive , David I remember a while back you said that you have digital teleconverter set to a function button and you press it which swaps the camera from raw to jpeg, and as soon as you take the shot it reverts back to raw (and I assume back to 35mm eq), is that correct?

Can you set it so that it stays on the teleconverter (ie 50mm eq) rather than reverting back after each shot, and is there a way to be able to swap back and forth between non TC and TC which automatically reverts to raw when going back to non TC?

So I've just been to my 'local' store to try out a bunch of Fuji stuff and if I'm honest I've come away quite disappointed as I didn't love it as much as I'd hoped. The X-T30 was a cool little camera, but as soon as you put anything bigger then the 23mm f2 on it felt too small. The ~X-T3 felt much better in the hand, but tbh as soon as I put the bigger lenses on (16-55 f2.8 and 100-400mm) it didn't feel great to me, and weirdly the grip made it feel worse. I loved the camera with all the dials and controls at your fingertips, and really like the clickable control wheels (not sure why nobody else has done this? To my knowledge anyway ;)) but it just didn't feel right to hold and as such it doesn't feel like the right move getting rid of my EM1-II and Z7 which feel great ergonomically to go for something that doesn't feel as good. At the end of the day, part of the move is to get my mojo back and feel like picking up the camera again, and if it feels a bit awkward then I'm less likely to use it :( Bit gutted really, got my mind set on it.

Do you have big hands? I don't, and I find the T3 & 100-400 absolutely fine. It was a joy to use after my 7D2 & 150-600 Sport....

Maybe you just aren't used to the ergonomics?

Thanks
Basically comes down to if you want a viewfinder or not.

It's a real shame about that Toby.

Sounds like you've made your mind up but if not, I'm happy to maybe meet somewhere at a mutually convenient time so that you can try my Fuji bodies if it helps?
I don't have the lenses you are after but as for bigger, heavier lenses I have the 18-135mm and the Viltrox 85mm f1.8. The bodies I have are the X-T3, X-T20 and the much older X-E1.

Tried the X100F out as well to see if I'm going to like the X100V. Overall I really like it, although I'd need to get one of those thumb grips/rests. I think I'm still set on getting the X100V.

@Mr Perceptive , David I remember a while back you said that you have digital teleconverter set to a function button and you press it which swaps the camera from raw to jpeg, and as soon as you take the shot it reverts back to raw (and I assume back to 35mm eq), is that correct?

Can you set it so that it stays on the teleconverter (ie 50mm eq) rather than reverting back after each shot, and is there a way to be able to swap back and forth between non TC and TC which automatically reverts to raw when going back to non TC?

Do you have big hands? I don't, and I find the T3 & 100-400 absolutely fine. It was a joy to use after my 7D2 & 150-600 Sport....

Maybe you just aren't used to the ergonomics?
I do have big hands, and I'm sure I'm not used to the ergonomics but tbh I've handled enough cameras to know what works for me and what doesn't. Due to a combination of work, old nerve injury and fibromyalgia ergonomics are pretty vital to me unfortunately, it does restrict my options somewhat.
It's a real shame about that Toby.

Sounds like you've made your mind up but if not, I'm happy to maybe meet somewhere at a mutually convenient time so that you can try my Fuji bodies if it helps?
I don't have the lenses you are after but as for bigger, heavier lenses I have the 18-135mm and the Viltrox 85mm f1.8. The bodies I have are the X-T3, X-T20 and the much older X-E1.
That's very kind. I'll have another play at the photography show first but I may take you up on that at some point thanks. It's always nice to meet fellow togs anyway (y)

David I remember a while back you said that you have digital teleconverter set to a function button and you press it which swaps the camera from raw to jpeg, and as soon as you take the shot it reverts back to raw (and I assume back to 35mm eq), is that correct?

Toby, I use the function button inside the OVF/EVF toggle switch for this.

Setting it to RAW - my current setting - switches me out of RAW+JPG into JPG only for one shot, after the shot has been taken the camera reverts to RAW+JPG - during which time I can use the Digital teleconverter, I like this, as I can't end up leaving the camera in JPG only

Setting it to IMAGE QUALITY - allows you to set JPG(Fine), JPG(Normal), RAW + JPG(Fine), RAW+JPG(Normal) or RAW. The camera stays in the set mode until you change it again.(including through a power cycle). I've just checked this with the Digital TC, and the digital TC stayed enabled (though not through power cycle!) - you can also assign IMAGE QUALITY to Q MENU and MY MENUs. - it will not auto revert to RAW+JPG if you twiddle the Digital TC back to normal (35mm) view, you have to positively set RAW+JPG or JPG as required.

Did you handle an H1 BTW, which larger hands it might suit, but its the weight of your Z7 anyway, so you might as well just get a pancake 35mm for the Nikon (if such a thing exists), personally in your shoes though, I'd just buy the 35mm F.17 Olympus lens, and put it on your OMD-1 MK2, at least that way you'll know if you can live with a fixed focal length, and you already like the handling of the camera.

I certainly won't be jumping in on an X-T4 early doors, I have the IBIS covered with the H1, the T3 is still very capable, and I don't need anything better as it stands, I will see what reviews are like and then set myself a maximum price and take it from there. I must say I never really fancied the X-Pro 3 but that is not whetting my appetite now I have the XPrp 2 and Xpro 1 on the way. It will depend on my bonus this year :D
You got wayyyyyy too many already ;)

I agree 100% @rick448 has far too many beautiful Fuji cameras :D

On a great note though, after a month or too I think I will get a nice shiny New Fuji X100V in beautiful black :D
As I do miss my old X100F and the V is calling me :cool:

Toby, I use the function button inside the OVF/EVF toggle switch for this.

Setting it to RAW - my current setting - switches me out of RAW+JPG into JPG only for one shot, after the shot has been taken the camera reverts to RAW+JPG - during which time I can use the Digital teleconverter, I like this, as I can't end up leaving the camera in JPG only

Setting it to IMAGE QUALITY - allows you to set JPG(Fine), JPG(Normal), RAW + JPG(Fine), RAW+JPG(Normal) or RAW. The camera stays in the set mode until you change it again.(including through a power cycle). I've just checked this with the Digital TC, and the digital TC stayed enabled (though not through power cycle!) - you can also assign IMAGE QUALITY to Q MENU and MY MENUs. - it will not auto revert to RAW+JPG if you twiddle the Digital TC back to normal (35mm) view, you have to positively set RAW+JPG or JPG as required.

Did you handle an H1 BTW, which larger hands it might suit, but its the weight of your Z7 anyway, so you might as well just get a pancake 35mm for the Nikon (if such a thing exists), personally in your shoes though, I'd just buy the 35mm F.17 Olympus lens, and put it on your OMD-1 MK2, at least that way you'll know if you can live with a fixed focal length, and you already like the handling of the camera.
Thanks, that's a shame it doesn't switch back to raw as soon as you go back to non TC. Thought about getting a prime for the Olly, just fancied something different ;)

I agree 100% @rick448 has far too many beautiful Fuji cameras :D

On a great note though, after a month or too I think I will get a nice shiny New Fuji X100V in beautiful black :D
As I do miss my old X100F and the V is calling me :cool:
You’re much worse than me Dave! :D

You’re much worse than me Dave! :D

I know..lol
My way of thinking is the X-T4 does not really give me much in form of an upgrade from the T3 as not fussed about the new screen and same sensor too as T3 the only great thing is IBIS on the T4 so it`s a big No on that. When I had the X100f I really did love it as to me it was small but a cracker and joy to use then it went swimming. So I think in so many months I will get the X100V in black and get rid of my XF23mm f2.

Last edited:
Had a day out in Whitby today, was hoping for some half decent weather, and to get a shot for the 52 challenge, we missed out on both counts!

Here are a few shots with X-Pro 2 and 18-55. I am going to be a day late for my 52 submission now...

Whitby day out by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

Great shots though! Hope you get your 'broken' today

I was out walking the dog in the dark yesterday morning and saw a hint of pink... Yep, I dashed home, grabbed the camera and headed to the beach!
X-T3 + 16-80 ISO160 F11
View attachment 269227View attachment 269228

Lovely, lovely colours. Next time, take a camera with you when walking the dog!! Wherever I go, I generally have a T2 & 10-24 in a bag on the back seat. You never know....

Maybe you need an X100V !!! :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Lovely, lovely colours. Next time, take a camera with you when walking the dog!! Wherever I go, I generally have a T2 & 10-24 in a bag on the back seat. You never know....

Maybe you need an X100V !!! :LOL::LOL:
Funnily enough I was only looking at them last night (blame everyone on this site...)!:eek: Yes, I should have the camera with me, and actually I do so much more now that it is not a hefty Canon. But luckily I live in the seaside town so got there in plenty of time AND even made it to work in the nick of time too :sneaky:

Big shout out to Fuji customer service.

My refurb X-E3 arrived with no flash unit.

I queried this with them, not being sure if there should be one included.

Just had a reply saying flash is being dispatched.

Back