The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

250th f14 ISO 3200
Long shot, getting dark, cropped somewhat too, but more open lens might have been a plan.
Also still finding my way around capture 1 on a mac.

Have you run it through any noise reduction software? I'll be happy to try it through topaz AI, if you like?

Hello All, I am undecided between XF35 f1.4 & the f2.0 version, I am leaning towards the f1.4 but am surprised how few are available considering it does seem to get some flack compared to the f2.0 version of which there are a few more to pick from. The refurb store also seems to stock very few lenses of any sort now or has that always been the case.

I only ever see the 35 1.4 getting overly praised tbh, people referring to it's "magic" rendering ... which is a bit nonsense. I've owned all 3 of Fuji's 35mm offerings now and can tell you there's nothing between them from F2 onward, apart from the 1.4 can focus closer [which I do like] and of course you get the extra stop of light, and it's decent enough at that [gets sharper at F2 just matching the others] I had the 1.4 twice, the first time out I was a little more fascinated by it, I did think it had it's own unique kind of look but turns out that was really the older sensors adding a touch of character. Later I owned it for the X-H1 and it didn't excite me near as much. Just looked the same as the 35 F2 I had in between. I also found it wasn't quite as sharp as I remembered wide open at CFD, it had that 'glow' I dislike for close ups, copy variance perhaps. The F2 variants have this also until you stop down a bit, only at closest focus mind. I got it new this time from einfinity and I wouldn't pay any more than what they stock it for [€375/£340] - UK sites try to sell them used for more, I'd just get a new F2 if you prefer to buy UK

Atm I'm using the cheap as you like [£169 brand new] XC 35 F2 - optically it is identical in my experience to the XF F2 version, it's just much cheaper build, all plastic even the mount, no aperture ring, no weater resistance. But, end results are the same.

Alternatives are the also cheap enough Viltrox 33 1.4, and the more pricey Zeiss 32 1.8 [not used either but I'm sure they're decent] - I was tempted by the Viltrox, in some reviews they state it's sharper wide open than the Fuji 1.4 - it's just the close focusing let's it down for me [40cm, the Fuji F2 pair do 35, the Fuji 1.4 can get down to 28 cm so it is King in that regard]

Last edited:
Hello All, I am undecided between XF35 f1.4 & the f2.0 version, I am leaning towards the f1.4 but am surprised how few are available considering it does seem to get some flack compared to the f2.0 version of which there are a few more to pick from. The refurb store also seems to stock very few lenses of any sort now or has that always been the case.

Quite simply, why go for f2 when you can go for f1.4?

I have moved around a few of my Fuji lenses, but I still have my 35 f1.4 because it's just brilliant at what it does. The other prime i really regret letting go is the 16 f1.4. I could quite happily live with these two and not have the 10-24. I've played with the f2, and yes the focus is a bit faster (on a T3 hardly noticeable) and it is WR, but then my 1.4 has been out in all weathers without an issue (snow, hail, heavy rain and salt spray).

One is more compact, and if that's what you're looking for, the f2 wins hands down.

Don't you just hate it when sellers don't respond? I spotted a Viltrox 85 1.8 on a used site going for a decent price, it's the mk1 but that's fine by me for the money. Messaged yesterday morning, nothing back yet?

I have moved around a few of my Fuji lenses, but I still have my 35 f1.4 because it's just brilliant at what it does. The other prime i really regret letting go is the 16 f1.4. I could quite happily live with these two and not have the 10-24. I've played with the f2, and yes the focus is a bit faster (on a T3 hardly noticeable) and it is WR, but then my 1.4 has been out in all weathers without an issue (snow, hail, heavy rain and salt spray).

One is more compact, and if that's what you're looking for, the f2 wins hands down.

2 other factors that might influence the decision: the F2 is a lot cheaper, it's also a lot quieter [near silent] too. This may matter to some, the noise was the only thing I disliked about the 1.4 though. I love that it can get in closer than the others, it's a matter of personal priorities I guess. WR has never been an issue to me either, I did get hit one time using a dslr [Nikon D90] in lashes of rain [photographing a marathon for a fund raiser] it got a bit busted, the digi displays on it went kaput. But I've never had any issues with non WR lenses, the XC 35 I have right now doesn't have WR and I've had it out in the rain - once the body is WR I'm not stressing

I too regret selling the 16mm 1.4 though, I feel I had the near perfect set for me when I had that and the 50 F2 - I needed nothing more than something for macro really and any old vintage [cheap] MF macro lens would do the trick. Maybe a cheap old casual tele option too, but those 2 primes covered me for most general needs. Needs must though, I had to move stuff around to pay teh bills, also the 35 1.4 ended up going [had replaced the 16 and 50 with it] to fund a new PC. But given the chance again with the 16 in particular, I'd be holding on to it.

The 16 1.4 and pretty much any longer Fuji lens make a nice well rounded set IMO, I actually rarely used the 50 F2 when I had it [was still nice to have the option] as the 16 was just so good, even for portraits - the 50 would only come out when i wanted to be a bit sneakier [parties/events] and get some nice candids, it's perfect for that - or sneaking gear into a gig and having sufficient reach in a teensy lens [body in one pocket [bit harder with the H1 but possible wearing a coat] lens in another.

I have moved around a few of my Fuji lenses, but I still have my 35 f1.4 because it's just brilliant at what it does.

Nail on head. Don’t think I have ever kept a lens ad long as this one, it’s not going anywhere. I should really get another XP1 to go with it .....

What has happened to used price lately? Checking a few lenses on the usual suspects [MPB, Wex etc] and I'm seeing the likes of the 60mm 2.4 USED for over £400?? I remember these going for less than £300 on here, and on MPB. Where's this inflation coming from?

What has happened to used price lately? Checking a few lenses on the usual suspects [MPB, Wex etc] and I'm seeing the likes of the 60mm 2.4 USED for over £400?? I remember these going for less than £300 on here, and on MPB. Where's this inflation coming from?

XF60mm were down as low as £220 at one time - I suspect that its more people coming into the system, and therefore more Macro shooters, and there are plenty that don't want the weight/size/price of the 80mm

Most Fujifilm lenses drop to a certain price point and then stay there, but when cashbacks are on then used prices can take a beating.

XF60mm were down as low as £220 at one time - I suspect that its more people coming into the system, and therefore more Macro shooters, and there are plenty that don't want the weight/size/price of the 80mm

Most Fujifilm lenses drop to a certain price point and then stay there, but when cashbacks are on then used prices can take a beating.

I did think I'd seen them for even less than I stated, but didn't want to exaggerate just in case my memory can be foggy at best :D I would nab one right now if I could find it for 220!

I have an offer in on a Vitrox 85 1.8 [mk1] atm, I offered asking yesterday morning on a local site [not my usual one] and nothing back yet ... really hate sellers like that.

Many thanks all for your input re 35 f1.4 vs f2.0, am pretty sure now that it will be the f1.4, I like the idea of it being very usable wide open and the closer focusing will be usable for me.

Regards Paul

I did think I'd seen them for even less than I stated, but didn't want to exaggerate just in case my memory can be foggy at best :D I would nab one right now if I could find it for 220!

I have an offer in on a Vitrox 85 1.8 [mk1] atm, I offered asking yesterday morning on a local site [not my usual one] and nothing back yet ... really hate sellers like that.

I bought and sold one at £220, perhaps I should have kept it as an investment :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I bought and sold one at £220, perhaps I should have kept it as an investment :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You could have almost doubled your money aye, if anyone would bite. No way I'm paying 400 for one! I'd be 2/3 to another 16 1.4 at that :D

Many thanks all for your input re 35 f1.4 vs f2.0, am pretty sure now that it will be the f1.4, I like the idea of it being very usable wide open and the closer focusing will be usable for me.

Regards Paul

You won't regret either way. I was actually eyeing a 1.4 only yesterday on a local sale site, pondering on if I would sell the XC F2 and buy it, but the guy is asking a little too much. I do miss the close focusing

Regards Paul

I will be totally different, I have both the 35mms but if I had to pick only one it would be the 35mm f2.

I bought my Viltrox 85mm from someone that sells warehouse clearance items on Facebook marketplace. Open boxes but brand new. They are the mk1 but a great lens. £150 and he gets them regularly.

Evening all, it has been a while since if been in this thread.

Lockdown and shielding took its toll and I packed the camera away for a while as the desire to shoot solely from home lost its appeal.
Now that there is light at the end of the tunnel for us shielding to get out and about I thought I should at least look at some photos again to see if I can get the mojo going.

Decided to have a look through some of my hard drives and came across this one that missed being edited.

It's weird, almost 4 months away from using Photoshop and i feel like a novice again having to re-teach myself the basics.

Anyway here it is in all its glory.

DSCF0248 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

I think I need a new tripod. I’ve got a little Sirui travel tripod which is brilliant for its size but it’s not the tallest and it wobbles a bit with the X-H1 & 16-55mm on it.

Any suggestions for a good quality, solid, light, tall tripod for about £250 quid. (Don’t wasn’t much do I) :ROFLMAO:

I bought my Viltrox 85mm from someone that sells warehouse clearance items on Facebook marketplace. Open boxes but brand new. They are the mk1 but a great lens. £150 and he gets them regularly.

Ooh, I'd definitely have one at that price. I've spotted the mkII on ebay , sold within the EU, so pondering on that atm. I think the only differences are weight reduction and a better fitting hood I believe?

Ooh, I'd definitely have one at that price. I've spotted the mkII on ebay , sold within the EU, so pondering on that atm. I think the only differences are weight reduction and a better fitting hood I believe?
Just checked and he still has at least one. Do you want me to ask him for his contact details and pass them on?
Not sure if I can put a link to the item on Facebook on here?
Where in the country are you?

Just checked and he still has at least one. Do you want me to ask him for his contact details and pass them on?
Not sure if I can put a link to the item on Facebook on here?
Where in the country are you?

I'm in Ireland, yeah I would be definitely interested if postage isn't too much

He also has a few lens adapters at very reasonable prices too. Had quite a bit off him in the past. Let me know how you get on. [emoji6]

They sold out, that one was left available by mistake it seems :/ He's checking delivery costs and say he'll have more on Monday. If I don't find one by then, if that local guy doesn't get back to me for another, then I'll go for it. Can't imagine postage being more than £20?

They sold out, that one was left available by mistake it seems :/ He's checking delivery costs and say he'll have more on Monday. If I don't find one by then, if that local guy doesn't get back to me for another, then I'll go for it. Can't imagine postage being more than £20?
Oh ok. Sorry about that, he does seem to get them regularly though.
He had one of the Viltrox 23mm f1.4 lenses in the other day @ £165 I ummed and arred a bit too long and it was gone.

Oh ok. Sorry about that, he does seem to get them regularly though.
He had one of the Viltrox 23mm f1.4 lenses in the other day @ £165 I ummed and arred a bit too long and it was gone.

Not a bother, he responded right away which is a good sign. Is he definitely posting from UK? just noticed in his bio it says he's in China but on marketplace says Shefield? The 23 1.4 would have been sweet at that price. I thought about that lens but reviews have only been so-so, the close focus is disappointing for that kind of lens.

Not a bother, he responded right away which is a good sign. Is he definitely posting from UK? just noticed in his bio it says he's in China but on marketplace says Shefield? The 23 1.4 would have been sweet at that price. I thought about that lens but reviews have only been so-so, the close focus is disappointing for that kind of lens.
I've collected things from him and also had them posted.
He lives in Chesterfield (or did) he lists on the surrounding marketplace groups like Chesterfield, Nottingham, Sheffield etc.
I believe he is originally from Guangdong where the Viltrox factory is located.

I've collected things from him and also had them posted.
He lives in Chesterfield (or did) he lists on the surrounding marketplace groups like Chesterfield, Nottingham, Sheffield etc.
I believe he is originally from Guangdong where the Viltrox factory is located.

Good enough for me, cheers for the info. He hasn't come back to me about postage, I guess he's waiting for him to actually have some to post first but no major rush.

Good enough for me, cheers for the info. He hasn't come back to me about postage, I guess he's waiting for him to actually have some to post first but no major rush.
You might have to chase him on Monday to see if any have come in. He's said he'd let me know about things in the past but hasn't.
He's always replied when I've contacted him though.

Regards Paul
You just missed one in the classifieds, it went for £365.

You just missed one in the classifieds, it went for £365.

I wouldn't pay that for a used one, not when you can get a brand spankin' new one within a week from einfinity for less. Also, when you can get the likes of a new Viltrox 33 1.4 for £100 less. Same with the 23 1.4, no way I'd pay much for that now with the Viltrox 23 1.4 out there for £300

Back