The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I seriously doubt I would have bought one, considering the price. But when I sold off all my Nikon kit, I had a number to work with fortunately. It does take a pretty nice portrait too ;)

I'll hopefully grab a nice used copy of one at some point. It's a lens I know I will make good use of. Like the 16 1.4, dang I keep regretting selling that one! I swear the 16 and that 80 for me, I'm pretty much done, all i need.

I've been considering the 60, it seems to get a bad rap, but I've seen some really nice crisp images taken using it.

The 60mm F2.4 is optically extremely good and more than usable even wide open. It’s not the fastest AF lens on the planet but still no slouch and Its hugely better on the X-H1 (which I believe you use) than even the X-T1 and earlier models.

George.

Last edited:
Hi All - question about developing RAWs. To date I’ve typically relied on the JPEG output of my X100F but was looking at ways to achieve bether dynamic range in landscape photos. Whilst I think I get the technique around exposing for post processing and I’m starting to understand how to play around pushing and pulling I am finding that the RAF files are very very soft.

As an example I was taking pictures that had the obelisk in Winsdor park in the background. JPEGs clearly show the individual spikes on the monument in the background. RAF just shows a blob! I can sharpen to a degree but nowhere near as good as the JPEG.

I was just playing with the RAW converter in Apple photos which I accept may not be the best but surely it should be possible to get something that looks reasonably sharp or am I expecting too much?

C1 express is good, and free (y)

Hi All - question about developing RAWs. To date I’ve typically relied on the JPEG output of my X100F but was looking at ways to achieve bether dynamic range in landscape photos. Whilst I think I get the technique around exposing for post processing and I’m starting to understand how to play around pushing and pulling I am finding that the RAF files are very very soft.

As an example I was taking pictures that had the obelisk in Winsdor park in the background. JPEGs clearly show the individual spikes on the monument in the background. RAF just shows a blob! I can sharpen to a degree but nowhere near as good as the JPEG.

I was just playing with the RAW converter in Apple photos which I accept may not be the best but surely it should be possible to get something that looks reasonably sharp or am I expecting too much?

Most of the forum users use either Lightroom or Capture One, there is a free version of Capture One Express for Fujifilm https://account.captureone.com/en/download-fujifilm-express

I would download this first, try and process a gain, and then report back any issues, you will get a lot more help.

We took a trip down to Duriston Country Park in Dorset today. (I wanted to go to Osmington Mills, but it was overrun with humans... :mad:).

Anyway, here's a couple, the first one I really, really like, it was exactly what I had in my head when I took the shot, so I'm really pleased about that. Needed very little PP from me.

green red blue by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Thistle by the sea by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Elterwater with X100V

Ng8HlWw.jpg

It only gets a bad rap because of its AF speed, which on earlier cameras (like X-Pro1) was very pedestrian. Its always been recognised as a sharp lens.
The 60mm F2.4 is optically extremely good and more than usable even wide open. It’s not the fastest AF lens on the planet but still no slouch and Its hugely better on the X-H1 (which I believe you use) than even the X-T1 and earlier models.

George.

I have heard/seen that is a very sharp lens indeed, I think the slower than norm AF was one of the main complaints people had and some experienced stuck aperture issues - where the lens wouldn't open up past f/3.2, the fix being to assign aperture control to the camera, making the aperture ring not as useful [you can still use it stopping down beyond that point

I've been considering the 60, it seems to get a bad rap, but I've seen some really nice crisp images taken using it.

The 60mm is a very sharp lens that produces great quality images. Its AF speed isn't great but for me it was the manual focus mechanism that killed it for me. I know its a focus by wire lens but turning the focus ring seems to take forever before acquiring focus.

The 60mm is a very sharp lens that produces great quality images. Its AF speed isn't great but for me it was the manual focus mechanism that killed it for me. I know its a focus by wire lens but turning the focus ring seems to take forever before acquiring focus.

I wondered about that, for macro I prefer to MF also, I think an old vintage MF macro lens is better suited for anything beyond 1:2 because they tend to have really nice focus rings. I wouldn't mind trying the 60 though, but it seems to have shot back up in price lately. Seeing them go used for more than they did new at one stage

Last edited:
I took my camera out on my morning walk today and was struck by the abstract shapes in a local skate park (hers a couple). X-Pro2; XF16-55 ...Skate Park 4.jpgSkate Park 3.jpg

We took a trip down to Duriston Country Park in Dorset today. (I wanted to go to Osmington Mills, but it was overrun with humans... :mad:).

Anyway, here's a couple, the first one I really, really like, it was exactly what I had in my head when I took the shot, so I'm really pleased about that. Needed very little PP from me.

green red blue by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Thistle by the sea by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

That first photo is a cracker Steve - really like that :)

Cheers,

Simon.

We had an overnighter in Oxford on Sunday night - our first time away since all this Lockdown business started. Very strange experience, given the circumstances, but enjoyable all the same.

Shot on the X100F, the more I use it the more I'm liking it especially editing through the free Capture One Fuji program. There's still a few odd bits I end up going back into PS for - such as geometry adjustments, but on the whole I'm quite liking what I see from using C1.

Oxford University
by Dave Young, on Flickr

DSCF0354
by Dave Young, on Flickr

This Snap for some reason made "EXPLORE". :):)

Just a simple landscape/seascape type Fujigraph taken from the Harbour Arm at Folkestone Kent UK of part of the Seafront.

X-H1, 10-24mm Lens, 1/640th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
Seafront (Folkestone) (1)-03437 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

My 10mm-24mm just arrived from MPB,super sharp & very happy with the lens.:banana:
Enjoy! It’s not a focal length I’ve ever been much interested... until now. Thinking at some point I will invest in a wide like this. I seem to have gone from all prime to all zoom with my return to Fooj :rolleyes:

I used to have the canon 10mm-20mm with all my canon gear,the 10mm-24mm will be stuck on my T4 for a while i think. :banana:

Hello All, I am undecided between XF35 f1.4 & the f2.0 version, I am leaning towards the f1.4 but am surprised how few are available considering it does seem to get some flack compared to the f2.0 version of which there are a few more to pick from. The refurb store also seems to stock very few lenses of any sort now or has that always been the case.

That's an extremely noisy image. What ISO did you use?
250th f14 ISO 3200
Long shot, getting dark, cropped somewhat too, but more open lens might have been a plan.
Also still finding my way around capture 1 on a mac.

Last edited:
Hello All, I am undecided between XF35 f1.4 & the f2.0 version, I am leaning towards the f1.4 but am surprised how few are available considering it does seem to get some flack compared to the f2.0 version of which there are a few more to pick from. The refurb store also seems to stock very few lenses of any sort now or has that always been the case.

They're both great and you will be happy with either. Obviously one gives you an extra stop but is slightly larger and more expensive, the other has slighlty better AF performance, is "weather sealed" and a bit cheaper. The F2 seems to render things a bit more contrasty than the 1.4 version, have a look on youtube.

Don't forget the Zeiss 32mm F1.8

Just sold my 35/1.4 and got a 35/2 instead - I've been here before but never learn. I find the f2 better suited to my 'classic' 1st gen X-Trans cameras - smaller, quicker, cheaper. I've just picked up the f2 for £280 brand new which is the same as the Fuji refurb site (although they never seem to have any in stock).

Just sold my 35/1.4 and got a 35/2 instead - I've been here before but never learn. I find the f2 better suited to my 'classic' 1st gen X-Trans cameras - smaller, quicker, cheaper. I've just picked up the f2 for £280 brand new which is the same as the Fuji refurb site (although they never seem to have any in stock).

Where from?

Back