The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

The only answer I can offer to this is, until I decided to use freelance photographers for my high end motorsport (including F1) business we as a company were using X-H1 units exclusively for all of my staff photographers without any problems with regards to focusing whatsoever. We also used these units in low light (evening meetings) and never experienced a focusing problem.

As you can imagine an F1 car tends to move a tad quicker than anything at a wedding so in all honesty I wonder if maybe some of the settings you have on your X-H1 could do with a bit of tweaking for what you are shooting. As for wedding work the X-H1 should absolutely walk it, low light included.
Thanks for taking the time to reply George. I've only noticed the issue before when doing motorsport, but yesterday it just seemed to struggle a bit to focus on a blonde-haired pale-faced lady in low level tungsten light. I can't post a picture as there were certain people who's pictures can't be put on a forum. My settings certainly might need a tweak - any thoughts on what ? ISO was up to 3200, continuous focus, 60th of a second, and moving from one face to another, again using the outer focus points just seemed to leave the X-H1 struggle to grab onto the other face (also pale and blonde, so not much contrast). I'm certainly no expert on weddings, but always did a lot of low light people stuff so figured I was reasonably ok with my technique.

Thanks for taking the time to reply George. I've only noticed the issue before when doing motorsport, but yesterday it just seemed to struggle a bit to focus on a blonde-haired pale-faced lady in low level tungsten light. I can't post a picture as there were certain people who's pictures can't be put on a forum. My settings certainly might need a tweak - any thoughts on what ? ISO was up to 3200, continuous focus, 60th of a second, and moving from one face to another, again using the outer focus points just seemed to leave the X-H1 struggle to grab onto the other face (also pale and blonde, so not much contrast). I'm certainly no expert on weddings, but always did a lot of low light people stuff so figured I was reasonably ok with my technique.

Steve, I too have problems focusing on blonde-haired ladies but that's nothing to do with the camera, it's usually my wife preventing me in some way ;) :):).

One thing I did forget to mention when using our X-H1s for motor sport is that all of them were being used with the extra battery grips on boost mode, which definitely makes a difference to the cameras performance.

Last edited:
Was it actually struggling to focus or could it be the shots were soft due to the 60th SS. Also on C setting it is face detection snd not eye, which I’ve found can leave shots looking OOF when shooting at wide apertures. Just a thought.

Was it actually struggling to focus or could it be the shots were soft due to the 60th SS. Also on C setting it is face detection snd not eye, which I’ve found can leave shots looking OOF when shooting at wide apertures. Just a thought.
A good thought, but.... 60th of a second was the minimum, and only for some shots with the 16-55. The issue was more with the 50-140 which just seemed unable to lock onto faces at times, and shutter speeds with that lens were 125th.
As for C setting - I had no idea about that, I didn't even know the X-H1 had eye or face detection...!
OK, in case it helps here are two consecutive images, heavily cropped obviously, 2500 ISO, 125th of a sec. I know the shutter speed is possibly a bit low, but 90% of the other pictures are ok.1.JPG2.jpg

That is an awesome road, and the views too! A popular one for motorbikes too heading for West Bay (but quite often speed cameras...). Love the minis

Thanks for the warning re. speed traps - planning on heading to West Bay (from the other side) at some point in the not-too-distant future to visit Helmet City.

My last speeding ticket was "won" on the A35 a few miles North of West Bay - the bike I was following had no speedo (1925 Harley [with a few mods, including a '79 frame and a '78 engine IIRC!]) so didn't know he was doing 80 on the dual carriageway. Plod pulled out to give us a tug (and by his own admission, to look at the Harley!) when we went into a 60 zone at the same speed. Having pulled us, he had to give us a ticket. Must be almost 30 years ago!

A good thought, but.... 60th of a second was the minimum, and only for some shots with the 16-55. The issue was more with the 50-140 which just seemed unable to lock onto faces at times, and shutter speeds with that lens were 125th.
As for C setting - I had no idea about that, I didn't even know the X-H1 had eye or face detection...!
OK, in case it helps here are two consecutive images, heavily cropped obviously, 2500 ISO, 125th of a sec. I know the shutter speed is possibly a bit low, but 90% of the other pictures are ok.View attachment 321025View attachment 321026
So are you are using single point AFC or Zone, I assume single point as you are talking about the edge of the frame, maybe take a look at your AF settings and try switching the modes to suit the type of shooting you are doing.

Looking at those shots, the light levels don't look too bad and I'd have thought with that combo they should have been better than that. Is the firmware the latest version on body and lens?

Nipped down to the bay tonight in the hope of great mist, but it was more in the hills. This was my favourite for the evening, but I am feeling quite disheartened with my 16-80 at the moment as it seems to have so many dust spots. I have tried cleaning the lens but to no avail (so having to take out with Lightroom). Any suggestions how to clean, or where best to send it for cleaning?
Misty pier by Donna White, on Flickr

Nipped down to the bay tonight in the hope of great mist, but it was more in the hills. This was my favourite for the evening, but I am feeling quite disheartened with my 16-80 at the moment as it seems to have so many dust spots. I have tried cleaning the lens but to no avail (so having to take out with Lightroom). Any suggestions how to clean, or where best to send it for cleaning?
Seems odd, you sure it isn't the sensor? I have to say I have never noticed dust from a lens, well not unless it is huge spots. It could be the sensor and maybe you are using a smaller aperture with this lens which shows it up?

The only time I have seen a dust spot from a lens was a large floating piece that was on the rear element but that soon fell off in to the belly of the lens. Shine a very bright torch onto your sensor and see if you have any dust spots ( magnifying lens helps or even better a loupe ). Shooting at f22 according to your flickr page, over f11 can lead to diffraction in the image also although this image is still nice and sharp. Looks a beautiful spot :)

Seems odd, you sure it isn't the sensor? I have to say I have never noticed dust from a lens, well not unless it is huge spots. It could be the sensor and maybe you are using a smaller aperture with this lens which shows it up?

Agree much more likely to be on the sensor! The lens will probably be sharpest around F8, if you really need the F22 effect shoot at F8 and use ND filters

So are you are using single point AFC or Zone, I assume single point as you are talking about the edge of the frame, maybe take a look at your AF settings and try switching the modes to suit the type of shooting you are doing.

Looking at those shots, the light levels don't look too bad and I'd have thought with that combo they should have been better than that. Is the firmware the latest version on body and lens?
Ah, I've not checked the firmware - thanks for the suggestion Rick.

The only time I have seen a dust spot from a lens was a large floating piece that was on the rear element but that soon fell off in to the belly of the lens. Shine a very bright torch onto your sensor and see if you have any dust spots ( magnifying lens helps or even better a loupe ). Shooting at f22 according to your flickr page, over f11 can lead to diffraction in the image also although this image is still nice and sharp. Looks a beautiful spot :)
Agree much more likely to be on the sensor! The lens will probably be sharpest around F8, if you really need the F22 effect shoot at F8 and use ND filters
Thanks, I am ordering a cleaning kit now which includes sensor swabs, as I have tried my 3 lenses and there is one spot in particular that just happens to be on all lenses :thinking:

and for something completely different....
I would welcome comments on the style of this.... I assume it'd not be to everyones taste!

I really like it, but would prefer a little more definition towards the end of the bill....

and for something completely different....
I would welcome comments on the style of this.... I assume it'd not be to everyones taste!

Jackdaw
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

I like the concept of minimalism in this but think there's too much nothing. Recropped to landscape rather than portrait but keeping to the 3x2 ration works better FOR ME.

A rare pose from our little ginger Milo, so angelic

XC35F2 @F2, natural light

Milo in Angelic pose [a rarity!] by K G, on Flickr

My first outdoor lunch [besides the odd chippy] in months - ALso shot with the XC35F2, again at F2 - a more than capable lens kept wide open until required otherwsie

Brunch by K G, on Flickr
wOw that XC35/2 looks like a fabulous lens......quality captures Sir - wonderful..!!

mac

wOw that XC35/2 looks like a fabulous lens......quality captures Sir - wonderful..!!

mac

Cheers :) I've owned the other 35mm offerings [XF35F2 and 2 copies of the old 35 1.4] and honestly, besides build quality on the all plastic XC, it's every bit as good optically as either at F2 onward. If it's a FL you find you only use occasionally I think it's worth the few bob to have in the bag. Weighs next to nothing too

From the end of last week while in Scotland visiting my Mum for the first time since last September.

Spent an hour or so on the cliffs and beach at St Cyrus and had my Samyang 12mm f/2 out for the first time in a while
Early Summer - St Cyrus by Aimless Alliterations, on Flickr

Very nice landscape/seascape style Fujigraph Ron, well composed, nice light & well presented.

" Excellent" set of wildlife Fujigraphs Donna, liking all of these very much.
Thanks very much George. It was a Christmas present for my mother-in-law back in 2019 and have only just been able to do this. Of course I felt she would need company, so included myself too... ;). He also has a bird hide with all sorts, so might book that one day too.

"It Made Explore" :) :)

Just a simple tourist type Fujigraph taken at London UK of the Houses Of Parliament & Elizabeth Tower (covered up) with a couple of Thames river boats/buses passing by. Actually snapped in May 2019 but never used.

My London (7)-03542 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

Last edited:
Back