The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

But 2022 Flagship camera launch with Stacked BSI Sensor X-Trans (X-H2) - I suspect that will be a cut down A1 sensor with X-Trans filter array, so 33-34MP

and XF150-600 and XF18-120 coming (I suspect the later might see the demise of the XF18-135)

Hmmm 150-600.... Seeing as my 100-400 is almost always being used at the long end, that will be interesting...

We had Rainbow Lorikeets outside our room every day when we were in Aus. The fact I fed them on day one was a major mistake, they’re worse than a bloody alarm clock!!

Some from my summer in central Italy. All taken from within 200m of our house as caring duties limited travel this time, so some may look familiar as I've done similar shots before. But every day is different, right?

1. Big vista. I really struggled with the processing here. The sunset was spectacular and I can move the white balance miles and still it looks good. I checked colours with my wife and she had it way warmer and more purple than this, but I think this looks right.
Podalla by Ian, on Flickr

2. Shooting into the sun. This probably means more to me than any casual viewer because the balding patch of land catching the sun in the middle foreground is ours and the walk to this view is stunning (and probably quite photogenic if seen at dawn, though I've not managed that yet)
Tramonto revisited by Ian, on Flickr

3. Via Lattea. I'm a city boy so have never seen stars like we do here. Here is one of many of the milky way rising over the mountains, deliberately processed to keep the colours muted
Via Lattea by Ian, on Flickr

4. Star trails over Santa Croce. Our local, abandoned church. About 600 shots combined. For once I got the exposure about right so we see the different colours of the stars (another revelation to this townie)
Santa Croce Trails by Ian, on Flickr

5. Mucking about. Another shot of the milky way over our house, this time combined with star trails
Via Lattea trails by Ian, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Some from my summer in central Italy. All taken from within 200m of our house as caring duties limited travel this time, so some may look familiar as I've done similar shots before. But every day is different, right?

1. Big vista. I really struggled with the processing here. The sunset was spectacular and I can move the white balance miles and still it looks good. I checked colours with my wife and she had it way warmer and more purple than this, but I think this looks right.

2. Shooting into the sun. This probably means more to me than any casual viewer because the balding patch of land catching the sun in the middle foreground is ours and the walk to this view is stunning (and probably quite photogenic if seen at dawn, though I've not managed that yet)

3. Via Lattea. I'm a city boy so have never seen stars like we do here. Here is one of many of the milky way rising over the mountains, deliberately processed to keep the colours muted

4. Star trails over Santa Croce. Our local, abandoned church. About 600 shots combined. For once I got the exposure about right so we see the different colours of the stars (another revelation to this townie)

5. Mucking about. Another shot of the milky way over our house, this time combined with star trails

Thanks for looking

"Excellent" set of landscape style Fujigraphs Ian, liking all of these very much.

Thanks for looking
Great captures. My favourite is no 5

Welcome @mikeyt!
I thought long and hard about going for the 16-80, as on paper it seems like an ideal lens (I liked the 24-105 when I shot Canon), but I like the compactness of the 18-55 and have always been happy with the images from it!
as you (and @Mr Perceptive) said, the quality is incredibly similar out of both, I recon I can cope with the slight loss of range at the long end and will need a 10-24 anyway.. Will be keeping the 18-55 and sending back the 16-80! Thanks both!

Ok so not such a great picture but it was the first time I saw the sun this morning, and then a minute later I fell over and broke my wrist! I then decided my dog certainly isn't Lassie but she did lay with me until I felt I could get up. BUT the great news is I think my camera is ok (was around my neck), will check more during the week.
Taken at RSPB Arne overlooking Poole Harbour.
XT3 + 70-300
Social Media-0483.jpg

Ok so not such a great picture but it was the first time I saw the sun this morning, and then a minute later I fell over and broke my wrist! I then decided my dog certainly isn't Lassie but she did lay with me until I felt I could get up. BUT the great news is I think my camera is ok (was around my neck), will check more during the week.
XT3 + 70-300
View attachment 329218
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Lovely shot .

XT3 + 70-300
View attachment 329218

Very nice Fujigraph Donna.

"Hope you make a full recovery very quickly"

XT3 + 70-300
View attachment 329218

Lovely atmospheric image, Donna, but most importantly I hope you make a speedy recovery!

Donna, oh no! hope you mend quickly, lets hope you can still use a camera during your recovery :) Check the camera carefully and keep checking, my X-T2 didn't exhibit any issues until about 2 weeks after it a hard surface, when a crack across the sensor started to appear. Fujifilm were very good about it, I explained to them exactly what had happened (my fault) but they still fixed the camera (quickly) for free.

XT3 + 70-300
View attachment 329218
Wishes for a speedy recovery and hopefully an intact camera.

XT3 + 70-300

Ouch! Hope you heal soon. Lovely hazy summer atmosphere in this shot.

nearly a week into ownership of my first fuji (an x-pro3) and it's amazing!

the jpegs are so good I'm tempted to stop bothering with raw... is that idiotic? I haven't tried to heavily edit anything yet, will I regret not saving the raws too?

nearly a week into ownership of my first fuji (an x-pro3) and it's amazing!

the jpegs are so good I'm tempted to stop bothering with raw... is that idiotic? I haven't tried to heavily edit anything yet, will I regret not saving the raws too?
Whilst JPEGs are often just as good as the RAW files (or better as you often don't need to do any post processing), you will regret not keeping the RAW files for those difficult lighting conditions. RAW files give you the ability to recover more lost data in over/under exposed shots or images where the dynamic range is too high.

There is an overhead to storing both RAW and JPEG versions of a file but occasionally you'll be glad that you did.

I shoot almost exclusively in RAW but on occasion I shoot both so that the JPEG is easily transferable to social media or texts.

Whilst JPEGs are often just as good as the RAW files (or better as you often don't need to do any post processing), you will regret not keeping the RAW files for those difficult lighting conditions. RAW files give you the ability to recover more lost data in over/under exposed shots or images where the dynamic range is too high.

There is an overhead to storing both RAW and JPEG versions of a file but occasionally you'll be glad that you did.

I shoot almost exclusively in RAW but on occasion I shoot both so that the JPEG is easily transferable to social media or texts.

You can zoom in further on the rear screen with the JPG than a RAW if you need/want to pixel peep/check sharpness etc - I shoot RAW+JPG all the time but I'm not a fast shooter

I'd like a 35mm f1.4 for low light / night street type shots.

Has anyone tried a TT Artisans 35mm f1.4?

Can it really be any good for about £65 new.

I'd like a 35mm f1.4 for low light / night street type shots.

Has anyone tried a TT Artisans 35mm f1.4?

Can it really be any good for about £65 new.

Its manual focus, quite nicely built but IQ isn't up to Fujifilm standards. It is what it is, a cheap MF lens. If thats all teh budget will extend to then go for it, otherwise spend more to get something optically better (and possibly with AF)

Thanks.

I'm happy with MF and I really can't drop £400 or so on a fuji.

I'll give it some more thought but I'm very tempted to give it a go.

Thanks again. About 3 times the price though.

Still, food for thought.

Cheers
Simon

Not the 35mm as I have a Fuji 35mm, but out of sheer curiosity I bought the TT Artisans 50mm/f1.2 last month and have to say that it is a really excellent lens.

It is all metal, very well made, quite heavy due to the solid construction and the aperture ring is precise and clicks into place using proper detents. The focus action is as smooth, if not smoother, than many of my Fuji lenses including the 35mm f1.4.

Its worth a punt at that price, this review is a good read.

Back