- Messages
- 9,251
- Name
- Trevor
- Edit My Images
- No
Thanks. I dreamt about this just last night…
Thanks. I dreamt about this just last night…
You're not supposed to thread them through the lug as per Peak Design instructions as it can cause the thread to fray.I have to say that I find the X100VI to be very good.
My only whinge is the size of the hole in the camera lugs. It is impossible (for me) to easily fit a PD camera strap end. Fuji it is very poor to make the hole so small!
I thought that was only the mk1 version of the PD item. I will need to check.You're not supposed to thread them through the lug as per Peak Design instructions as it can cause the thread to fray.
I thought that was only the mk1 version of the PD item. I will need to check.
Dont remember the thread but I eventually gave up on my attempts and used the Fuji leather protector, triangular connectors and the Fuji strap system so it is done.We had this conversation over on Fuji-X Forum, its not just the version of the PD anchors but the fact that the Fuji metal insert can be abraisive.
At the end of the day its your choice, but threading them directly through is more likely to cause a failure.
Dont remember the thread but I eventually gave up on my attempts and used the Fuji leather protector, triangular connectors and the Fuji strap system so it is done.
HenDog Art DSCF0092e by Keith Hudson, on Flickr
Kingsgate Books DSCF0140e by Keith Hudson, on Flickr
Not a Magic Number DSCF0080e by Keith Hudson, on Flickr
Bicycle Freddie DSCF0153e by Keith Hudson, on Flickr
Guildhall DSCF2845e by Keith Hudson, on Flickr
P&G Wells DSCF2847e by Keith Hudson, on FlickrBeen in Scotland on NC500, then Lake District.It was only a few days ago!!!!
David thanks for the link back here.It was only a few days ago!!!!
I still use my XE1 a lot. Can’t really see on the rear screen properly, but in 90% of shots slightly under exposed they come out fine.OK. A question.
Over the years I've read (or maybe seen is a better way to say it) so many posts here about the smaller X range and never really taken much in, just haven't understood the appeal of a camera with a fixed lens that's almost as expensive as my XT-5 and don't know what the others are that do take different lenses.
However I'm toying with the idea of trying something small and easy to carry, doesn't need to be pocketable (or new) and wondering if you wise and experienced people could offer a few tips for when I start looking. I may head towards a WEX in the next few weeks to hold a few of the options, may even like the idea of a fixed lens, don't really know what sort of photos I plan to take but obviously Street is likely to feature.
I will do plenty of research but am just looking for pointers and guidance.
So, any thoughts from old or current owners?
OK. A question.
Over the years I've read (or maybe seen is a better way to say it) so many posts here about the smaller X range and never really taken much in, just haven't understood the appeal of a camera with a fixed lens that's almost as expensive as my XT-5 and don't know what the others are that do take different lenses.
However I'm toying with the idea of trying something small and easy to carry, doesn't need to be pocketable (or new) and wondering if you wise and experienced people could offer a few tips for when I start looking. I may head towards a WEX in the next few weeks to hold a few of the options, may even like the idea of a fixed lens, don't really know what sort of photos I plan to take but obviously Street is likely to feature.
I will do plenty of research but am just looking for pointers and guidance.
So, any thoughts from old or current owners?
I’ve got an X-E5 on loan from Fuji this week. Haven’t had a chance to do much with it yet, but so far I really like it. I’ve got the 23mm pancake with it, but I’ve put that on my T-4 and I’ve got the 18mm F/2 on the E5. Going to try the 35/1.4 on it too. It’s a lot smaller than my T4, but so far I’ve found it quite comfortable to hold.I still use my XE1 a lot. Can’t really see on the rear screen properly, but in 90% of shots slightly under exposed they come out fine.
The X-E5 was on my recent list of possibles but as above I went for some thing else, I guess if I was more of a jpg shooter the film simulation dial on the top plate might have swayed me more.I’ve got an X-E5 on loan from Fuji this week. Haven’t had a chance to do much with it yet, but so far I really like it. I’ve got the 23mm pancake with it, but I’ve put that on my T-4 and I’ve got the 18mm F/2 on the E5. Going to try the 35/1.4 on it too. It’s a lot smaller than my T4, but so far I’ve found it quite comfortable to hold.
The main appeal, to me anyway, of the X100 series is that it is built around that specific 23mm f2 lens, so it is a lot smaller overall than even a smaller interchangeable lens body, as it does not have to work with different lenses. The optical viewfinder, leaf shutter and built in ND filters are all nice to have too.OK. A question.
Over the years I've read (or maybe seen is a better way to say it) so many posts here about the smaller X range and never really taken much in, just haven't understood the appeal of a camera with a fixed lens that's almost as expensive as my XT-5 and don't know what the others are that do take different lenses.
However I'm toying with the idea of trying something small and easy to carry, doesn't need to be pocketable (or new) and wondering if you wise and experienced people could offer a few tips for when I start looking. I may head towards a WEX in the next few weeks to hold a few of the options, may even like the idea of a fixed lens, don't really know what sort of photos I plan to take but obviously Street is likely to feature.
I will do plenty of research but am just looking for pointers and guidance.
So, any thoughts from old or current owners?
Fuji-wise you could do worse than the X-Pro2 or 3, great for street.OK. A question.
Over the years I've read (or maybe seen is a better way to say it) so many posts here about the smaller X range and never really taken much in, just haven't understood the appeal of a camera with a fixed lens that's almost as expensive as my XT-5 and don't know what the others are that do take different lenses.
However I'm toying with the idea of trying something small and easy to carry, doesn't need to be pocketable (or new) and wondering if you wise and experienced people could offer a few tips for when I start looking. I may head towards a WEX in the next few weeks to hold a few of the options, may even like the idea of a fixed lens, don't really know what sort of photos I plan to take but obviously Street is likely to feature.
I will do plenty of research but am just looking for pointers and guidance.
So, any thoughts from old or current owners?
My recent interest and subsequent purchase of a X-Pro showed that the ordinary black paint 3 can be bought for less than some are asking for a 2, the drua black or dura silver X-Pro3 s have a £200 to £300 plus premium over the black paint something I was not paying.Fuji-wise you could do worse than the X-Pro2 or 3, great for street.
What is this aircraft? Is it an Auster?A few from RAF Northolt night shoot last week. All X-T4 and XF 16-80mm:
View attachment 494367
View attachment 494374
X100V used prices are ridiculously high so i'd disagree with it being the sweet spot. It's not that much more for the VI.The main appeal, to me anyway, of the X100 series is that it is built around that specific 23mm f2 lens, so it is a lot smaller overall than even a smaller interchangeable lens body, as it does not have to work with different lenses. The optical viewfinder, leaf shutter and built in ND filters are all nice to have too.
I think the key points of X100 series are:
- X100F - 24MP sensor (same as X-T2 etc)
- X100V - 26MP sensor (same as X-T3 etc) and improved lens. Personally, I feel like this is the sweet spot of the range.
- X100VI - 40MP sensor (same as your X-T5) and IBIS. Still has the improved lens etc.
They are selling 'Like New' for £1849 - I wonder how they differ from 'Brand New' at £1749 (or less)?As I type MPB have a used x100vi silver in”good” condition for £1309.
MPB tax ….. piratesThey are selling 'Like New' for £1849 - I wonder how they differ from 'Brand New' at £1749 (or less)?
It's a Max Holste MH-1521 Broussard.What is this aircraft? Is it an Auster?
That's one of the reasons I've done this loan from Fuji - the X-E5 came with the 23mm pancake (which is on my T4 now).Thank you all for your replies about the X range of cameras - maybe I should try a 23mm lens on my XT-5 first to see how I get on with a prime until I get a chance to go to a dealer..
Well hurry up and get using it so you can post your findings and feelings about it and the X-E5!That's one of the reasons I've done this loan from Fuji - the X-E5 came with the 23mm pancake (which is on my T4 now).
I feel both liberated and weighed down by FOMO@stevewestern
You either get the X100 series cameras or you don't, many feel liberated by the lack of lens choice (though the current high MP version gives more cropping options), but others are weighed down by FOMO and can't understand a single lens choice,
You are the use case of a classic FOMO photographer who seems quite happy going out with just the X100VII feel both liberated and weighed down by FOMO![]()
Me too.I feel both liberated and weighed down by FOMO![]()
Thank you all for your replies about the X range of cameras - maybe I should try a 23mm lens on my XT-5 first to see how I get on with a prime until I get a chance to go to a dealer..








In the comparison picture the 'face' on the first image looks noticeably warmer than the second, was the WB setting different or does one of the lenses render warmer than the other?Okay, so first thoughts on the X-E5. I had a very brief wander along the seafront last night with the 18mm F/2 on there. I did swap to the 23mm F/2.8 for a while but I switched back to the 18mm because it was letting in more light. Having said that, usually for going out at night I'd take my 35/1.4 anyway.
I like the X-E5, it feels like a nice piece of kit, but it's not as comfortable in my hand as my T4, especially as I have a grip on it as well. Although the T4 is heavier, it's easier to hold. The other big difference was the viewfinder: someone mentioned that to me a few pages back and I said that I'm not bothered, but actually the viewfinder in the E5 did feel very small.
I'm very happy with the picture quality from either lens, but to be fair that's also the case with my T4. Here's a direct comparison: they're both cropped to about the same view, and the same film recipe (Reggie's Portra):
View attachment 494451
View attachment 494452
I'm sure if you really pixel-peep there are some differences, but all in all I'm happy with either of those.
Here's a few more shots, all with the 18mm:
View attachment 494453
View attachment 494454
View attachment 494455
View attachment 494456
View attachment 494457
This is the "issue" with single focal length lenses, they aren't perfect for everything. I know some say that's a good thing as it forces you to look for a different angle, which is true some of the time, but at other times you just do really need a different focal length to get the shot you want/envisage.Next I'm going to try the 23mm out on my T4 in daylight and see how I get on with it. Initial thought though is that I prefer the 18mm (and again, I remember saying when I had the X100VI that there were times when it felt like 23mm was a bit too tight).
Just the rendering of the lens, the only setting I changed was the ISO to compensate for the slower aperture.In the comparison picture the 'face' on the first image looks noticeably warmer than the second, was the WB setting different or does one of the lenses render warmer than the other?