The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I have to say that I find the X100VI to be very good.
My only whinge is the size of the hole in the camera lugs. It is impossible (for me) to easily fit a PD camera strap end. Fuji it is very poor to make the hole so small!
You're not supposed to thread them through the lug as per Peak Design instructions as it can cause the thread to fray.
 
You're not supposed to thread them through the lug as per Peak Design instructions as it can cause the thread to fray.
I thought that was only the mk1 version of the PD item. I will need to check.
 
I thought that was only the mk1 version of the PD item. I will need to check.

We had this conversation over on Fuji-X Forum, its not just the version of the PD anchors but the fact that the Fuji metal insert can be abraisive.

At the end of the day its your choice, but threading them directly through is more likely to cause a failure.
 
We had this conversation over on Fuji-X Forum, its not just the version of the PD anchors but the fact that the Fuji metal insert can be abraisive.

At the end of the day its your choice, but threading them directly through is more likely to cause a failure.
Dont remember the thread but I eventually gave up on my attempts and used the Fuji leather protector, triangular connectors and the Fuji strap system so it is done.
 
Recalling my should I get a X-Pro3 comments, it turned up on Friday as expected, in time to charge the battery and run off a few frames at home to check all was working and familiarise my self with it whilst setting up my menu and a few other functions the same as my X-T4

Saturday saw a trip to Winchester to meet up with a couple of people from another forum, the X-Pro had a 27mm lens whilst the X-T4 had the 9mm Viltrox. Swapping camera in and out of the Billingham Hadley as needed, I did a whole day without having to change lenses which is most of the reason for wanting two Fujifilm bodies. The X-Pro was a joy to use, not saying that I took anything that I could not have done with any number of other cameras that I either own now or have owned in the passed, sufficiently close to the X-T4 that I felt at home straight away and sufficiently different to feel like using my M240 or the M2 Leicas.

X-Pro3 & 27mm f/2.8

HenDog Art DSCF0092e by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

Kingsgate Books DSCF0140e by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

Not a Magic Number DSCF0080e by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

Bicycle Freddie DSCF0153e by Keith Hudson, on Flickr


X-T4 and 9mm Viltrox.

Guildhall DSCF2845e by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

P&G Wells DSCF2847e by Keith Hudson, on Flickr
 
David thanks for the link back here.
I have to say trying to force the PD cords through was beyond my patience and taking chances of damaging my nice new camera.
I have used the Fuji leather protectors (really naff in my opinion), their triangular attachments (look a bit naff but less so than the leather bits and the Fuji strap.
Not happy with the result but pretty does not take pictures, functional does.
Thanks again.
 
OK. A question.
Over the years I've read (or maybe seen is a better way to say it) so many posts here about the smaller X range and never really taken much in, just haven't understood the appeal of a camera with a fixed lens that's almost as expensive as my XT-5 and don't know what the others are that do take different lenses.
However I'm toying with the idea of trying something small and easy to carry, doesn't need to be pocketable (or new) and wondering if you wise and experienced people could offer a few tips for when I start looking. I may head towards a WEX in the next few weeks to hold a few of the options, may even like the idea of a fixed lens, don't really know what sort of photos I plan to take but obviously Street is likely to feature.
I will do plenty of research but am just looking for pointers and guidance.
So, any thoughts from old or current owners?
 
OK. A question.
Over the years I've read (or maybe seen is a better way to say it) so many posts here about the smaller X range and never really taken much in, just haven't understood the appeal of a camera with a fixed lens that's almost as expensive as my XT-5 and don't know what the others are that do take different lenses.
However I'm toying with the idea of trying something small and easy to carry, doesn't need to be pocketable (or new) and wondering if you wise and experienced people could offer a few tips for when I start looking. I may head towards a WEX in the next few weeks to hold a few of the options, may even like the idea of a fixed lens, don't really know what sort of photos I plan to take but obviously Street is likely to feature.
I will do plenty of research but am just looking for pointers and guidance.
So, any thoughts from old or current owners?
I still use my XE1 a lot. Can’t really see on the rear screen properly, but in 90% of shots slightly under exposed they come out fine.
 
OK. A question.
Over the years I've read (or maybe seen is a better way to say it) so many posts here about the smaller X range and never really taken much in, just haven't understood the appeal of a camera with a fixed lens that's almost as expensive as my XT-5 and don't know what the others are that do take different lenses.
However I'm toying with the idea of trying something small and easy to carry, doesn't need to be pocketable (or new) and wondering if you wise and experienced people could offer a few tips for when I start looking. I may head towards a WEX in the next few weeks to hold a few of the options, may even like the idea of a fixed lens, don't really know what sort of photos I plan to take but obviously Street is likely to feature.
I will do plenty of research but am just looking for pointers and guidance.
So, any thoughts from old or current owners?
I still use my XE1 a lot. Can’t really see on the rear screen properly, but in 90% of shots slightly under exposed they come out fine.
I’ve got an X-E5 on loan from Fuji this week. Haven’t had a chance to do much with it yet, but so far I really like it. I’ve got the 23mm pancake with it, but I’ve put that on my T-4 and I’ve got the 18mm F/2 on the E5. Going to try the 35/1.4 on it too. It’s a lot smaller than my T4, but so far I’ve found it quite comfortable to hold.
 
I’ve got an X-E5 on loan from Fuji this week. Haven’t had a chance to do much with it yet, but so far I really like it. I’ve got the 23mm pancake with it, but I’ve put that on my T-4 and I’ve got the 18mm F/2 on the E5. Going to try the 35/1.4 on it too. It’s a lot smaller than my T4, but so far I’ve found it quite comfortable to hold.
The X-E5 was on my recent list of possibles but as above I went for some thing else, I guess if I was more of a jpg shooter the film simulation dial on the top plate might have swayed me more.
I will be interesting to hear how you got along with it aside the X-T4.
 
OK. A question.
Over the years I've read (or maybe seen is a better way to say it) so many posts here about the smaller X range and never really taken much in, just haven't understood the appeal of a camera with a fixed lens that's almost as expensive as my XT-5 and don't know what the others are that do take different lenses.
However I'm toying with the idea of trying something small and easy to carry, doesn't need to be pocketable (or new) and wondering if you wise and experienced people could offer a few tips for when I start looking. I may head towards a WEX in the next few weeks to hold a few of the options, may even like the idea of a fixed lens, don't really know what sort of photos I plan to take but obviously Street is likely to feature.
I will do plenty of research but am just looking for pointers and guidance.
So, any thoughts from old or current owners?
The main appeal, to me anyway, of the X100 series is that it is built around that specific 23mm f2 lens, so it is a lot smaller overall than even a smaller interchangeable lens body, as it does not have to work with different lenses. The optical viewfinder, leaf shutter and built in ND filters are all nice to have too.

I think the key points of X100 series are:
- X100F - 24MP sensor (same as X-T2 etc)
- X100V - 26MP sensor (same as X-T3 etc) and improved lens. Personally, I feel like this is the sweet spot of the range.
- X100VI - 40MP sensor (same as your X-T5) and IBIS. Still has the improved lens etc.
 
OK. A question.
Over the years I've read (or maybe seen is a better way to say it) so many posts here about the smaller X range and never really taken much in, just haven't understood the appeal of a camera with a fixed lens that's almost as expensive as my XT-5 and don't know what the others are that do take different lenses.
However I'm toying with the idea of trying something small and easy to carry, doesn't need to be pocketable (or new) and wondering if you wise and experienced people could offer a few tips for when I start looking. I may head towards a WEX in the next few weeks to hold a few of the options, may even like the idea of a fixed lens, don't really know what sort of photos I plan to take but obviously Street is likely to feature.
I will do plenty of research but am just looking for pointers and guidance.
So, any thoughts from old or current owners?
Fuji-wise you could do worse than the X-Pro2 or 3, great for street.
 
Fuji-wise you could do worse than the X-Pro2 or 3, great for street.
My recent interest and subsequent purchase of a X-Pro showed that the ordinary black paint 3 can be bought for less than some are asking for a 2, the drua black or dura silver X-Pro3 s have a £200 to £300 plus premium over the black paint something I was not paying.
 
Last edited:
The main appeal, to me anyway, of the X100 series is that it is built around that specific 23mm f2 lens, so it is a lot smaller overall than even a smaller interchangeable lens body, as it does not have to work with different lenses. The optical viewfinder, leaf shutter and built in ND filters are all nice to have too.

I think the key points of X100 series are:
- X100F - 24MP sensor (same as X-T2 etc)
- X100V - 26MP sensor (same as X-T3 etc) and improved lens. Personally, I feel like this is the sweet spot of the range.
- X100VI - 40MP sensor (same as your X-T5) and IBIS. Still has the improved lens etc.
X100V used prices are ridiculously high so i'd disagree with it being the sweet spot. It's not that much more for the VI.
 
As I type MPB have a used x100vi silver in”good” condition for £1309.
And The Classic camera have “as new” one in black with a grip for £1399.

Also a few from eBay and others at higher prices.
 
@stevewestern

You either get the X100 series cameras or you don't, many feel liberated by the lack of lens choice (though the current high MP version gives more cropping options), but others are weighed down by FOMO and can't understand a single lens choice,

I've had an X100 since just after launch, and added an X100F when it was released, I've now moved to the darkside (Leica Q3). I still have my original X100. (I've also had X-E1, X-E2, X-T1, X-T2, X-H1, X-T3 and X-H2S(this I still have))

There are advantages in single fixed lens camera designs, in that the optics can be optimised to the sensor, and the designer is free to move the sensor position to suit (not restricted by a fixed position dictated by interchangeable lens systems). There often part of the lens is within the main body, making the system more compact for a given focal length/aperture lens.

The OVF of the X100 series cameras adds a bright rangefiunder style viewerfinder which allows you to see outside the frame (very useful for street photography), and can be overlaid with useful information like the histogram.

The only way to see if the X100 series is for you is to try it, either through loan, renting or purchase! There is definitely more to an X100 series camera than the sum of it's parts.
 
Last edited:
@stevewestern

You either get the X100 series cameras or you don't, many feel liberated by the lack of lens choice (though the current high MP version gives more cropping options), but others are weighed down by FOMO and can't understand a single lens choice,
I feel both liberated and weighed down by FOMO :ROFLMAO:
 
Thank you all for your replies about the X range of cameras - maybe I should try a 23mm lens on my XT-5 first to see how I get on with a prime until I get a chance to go to a dealer..

I had a day in Liverpool last Thursday with the same set up, (Xt5 and 23mmf2.) I didn’t take anything else with me and, just to push the boat out a bit more I just shot in jpeg - something I’ve never done before, (always shot in raw.)
I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The lens felt really nice on the camera and I never really felt I missed out on anything worthwhile. It also brought home how much I lean on raw/photoshop to fix sloppy camera ‘skills’. It was a fun and worthwhile experience and something I’ll do again for sure.
 
I have to say that I agree with so many here about the FOMO aspects of a X100 series camera.

However with my Canon G12 I feel much more satisfied as it has a great zoom lens on it.
I can honestly say that if Fuji released an X100VII with a zoom lens (FF equiv. 35-100mm) f2.8-4 then I would without hesitation sell all my X100 cameras (every release except X100S) as well as many of my other cameras as this would suit me perfectly.
I 'see' my photos through a virtual 50-70mm lens so if the zoom 35-105 that I had on my Nikon worked excellently for me. I have not found a direct equivalent to my Nikon F3 or F801 and 35-105 lens but when I doit could result on my camera cupboard being almost emptied.
My XPro2 with 16-55 f2.8 mkii is the closest equivalence but of course the advances in AF tech has spoilt me so I want an XPro4 with super fast AF.
 
Last edited:
Okay, so first thoughts on the X-E5. I had a very brief wander along the seafront last night with the 18mm F/2 on there. I did swap to the 23mm F/2.8 for a while but I switched back to the 18mm because it was letting in more light. Having said that, usually for going out at night I'd take my 35/1.4 anyway.

I like the X-E5, it feels like a nice piece of kit, but it's not as comfortable in my hand as my T4, especially as I have a grip on it as well. Although the T4 is heavier, it's easier to hold. The other big difference was the viewfinder: someone mentioned that to me a few pages back and I said that I'm not bothered, but actually the viewfinder in the E5 did feel very small.

I'm very happy with the picture quality from either lens, but to be fair that's also the case with my T4. Here's a direct comparison: they're both cropped to about the same view, and the same film recipe (Reggie's Portra):

DSCF0254.jpeg

DSCF0255.jpeg

I'm sure if you really pixel-peep there are some differences, but all in all I'm happy with either of those.

Here's a few more shots, all with the 18mm:


DSCF0234.jpeg

DSCF0236.jpeg

DSCF0238.jpeg

DSCF0242.jpeg

DSCF0260.jpeg
 
Finally, here's another one with the 23mm F/2.8:

DSCF0252.jpeg

Next I'm going to try the 23mm out on my T4 in daylight and see how I get on with it. Initial thought though is that I prefer the 18mm (and again, I remember saying when I had the X100VI that there were times when it felt like 23mm was a bit too tight). As far as additional camera purchases go, I'm thinking now that the E5 is a definite no, the X100VI is a maybe, but actually I quite fancy trying an X-Pro 3. Obviously with that one though I won't be able to do a loan from Fuji, I'll have to see if anywhere else does it, or see if I can find somewhere that has a used one in stock that I can have a play with.
 
Okay, so first thoughts on the X-E5. I had a very brief wander along the seafront last night with the 18mm F/2 on there. I did swap to the 23mm F/2.8 for a while but I switched back to the 18mm because it was letting in more light. Having said that, usually for going out at night I'd take my 35/1.4 anyway.

I like the X-E5, it feels like a nice piece of kit, but it's not as comfortable in my hand as my T4, especially as I have a grip on it as well. Although the T4 is heavier, it's easier to hold. The other big difference was the viewfinder: someone mentioned that to me a few pages back and I said that I'm not bothered, but actually the viewfinder in the E5 did feel very small.

I'm very happy with the picture quality from either lens, but to be fair that's also the case with my T4. Here's a direct comparison: they're both cropped to about the same view, and the same film recipe (Reggie's Portra):

View attachment 494451

View attachment 494452

I'm sure if you really pixel-peep there are some differences, but all in all I'm happy with either of those.

Here's a few more shots, all with the 18mm:


View attachment 494453

View attachment 494454

View attachment 494455

View attachment 494456

View attachment 494457
In the comparison picture the 'face' on the first image looks noticeably warmer than the second, was the WB setting different or does one of the lenses render warmer than the other?
 
Next I'm going to try the 23mm out on my T4 in daylight and see how I get on with it. Initial thought though is that I prefer the 18mm (and again, I remember saying when I had the X100VI that there were times when it felt like 23mm was a bit too tight).
This is the "issue" with single focal length lenses, they aren't perfect for everything. I know some say that's a good thing as it forces you to look for a different angle, which is true some of the time, but at other times you just do really need a different focal length to get the shot you want/envisage.

Of course with the 18mm there'll be times when you wish you had more reach, however in this situation you can obviously just crop (within reason). With a longer lens you can always stitch images if you need a wider view, but that's only OK if you have a static scene, and I've never been able to take a shot like this without introducing paralax errors.

There's always the option of using the wide angle converter to the X100, but that's also a bit of a faff it would mean removing the lens hood and filter everytime I wanted to use the adapter.

I'm still looking for the Holy Grail, but for the most part I do enjoy using the X100VI.
 
In the comparison picture the 'face' on the first image looks noticeably warmer than the second, was the WB setting different or does one of the lenses render warmer than the other?
Just the rendering of the lens, the only setting I changed was the ISO to compensate for the slower aperture.
 
Back
Top