The final camera decision...

The Author, Tom, has an A7. Good choice. Hopefully one day he will put a 35 prime on it.

Definitely ^^

A 35mm or 50mm would be perfect on the A7. I had a couple of zooms for my 6D and found that they can become cumbersome after a while, especially if you are hiking around. As handy as they are at times, having now switched systems, I'm not considering zooms any more.

I found that when I had my X Pro1 with a prime that my photography changed completely. Rather than relying on a zoom, I was having to work to frame the picture based on a fixed lens. It definitely improved my photography and not having a big bag of kit was most liberating.

Hopefully you can find peace with the A7, Tom. I get that the lenses are expensive but if you were to get just the one now, you may find that's all you'll need for most of what you shoot.

[QUOTE="Ruffmeister, post: 7892649, member: 66001I found that when I had my X Pro1 with a prime that my photography changed completely. Rather than relying on a zoom, I was having to work to frame the picture based on a fixed lens. It definitely improved my photography and not having a big bag of kit was most liberating.

[/QUOTE]
Yeah primes certainly offer a different approach to photography which I like at times. I have a set of zooms and a set of primes and depending on my mood and the location take either my zooms or my primes. I enjoy using both but the primes require a different approach and you have to think about the composition a lot more and move about to get the correct framing. I've tried to tell that to a mate but he is a dedicated zoom user and just doesn't get primes at all, shame.

[QUOTE="Ruffmeister, post: 7892649, member: 66001I found that when I had my X Pro1 with a prime that my photography changed completely. Rather than relying on a zoom, I was having to work to frame the picture based on a fixed lens. It definitely improved my photography and not having a big bag of kit was most liberating.
Yeah primes certainly offer a different approach to photography which I like at times. I have a set of zooms and a set of primes and depending on my mood and the location take either my zooms or my primes. I enjoy using both but the primes require a different approach and you have to think about the composition a lot more and move about to get the correct framing. I've tried to tell that to a mate but he is a dedicated zoom user and just doesn't get primes at all, shame.[/QUOTE]

It makes you look at the little things more too. Details etc.
For me it definitely brought a different approach.

I got my 13 year old a Fuji XE-1 and 35mm. He is now 17 and knows how to create an image. He still has the 35mm, but I got him a second hand XT-1 forces last birthday. It's great discipline and really fun. I use 35mm 90% of the time.

For travel and avoiding lugging cameras around, I've always carried a pocket camera. For years it was a Sony S90, until my elder son left it in a taxi in Madrid last summer. Now it is a Sony RX100 Mk3, great value at £450 ex-demo. It's 20mp, great processor, good lens and fast. There aren't that many such cameras these days that are much better than a Samsung S7. The RX100 was at Radiohead Tel Aviv on Wednesday, hopefully on its way back today.

My son showed me an auction site yesterday he uses and there was an Olympus Trip 35 on it for £70, immaculate. I used one for years - a perfect camera with no faults I can remember!

The Author, Tom, has an A7. Good choice. Hopefully one day he will put a 35 prime on it.

I had a Trip. They crop up on this site, £70 seems a bit much.

Back