The Football Thread - Season 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
west ham having a bad evening too; strange sending off and an obvious offside goal against them ... happens to everyone

He seems to have gone into 'narky Moaninho mode' pretty quickly. ;)

Saying that, I don't think he has been comfortable in front of the cameras all season, and it looks like it is something he is obligated to do, and add that to a frustrating day and you get an interview like this. :rolleyes:

west ham having a bad evening too; strange sending off and an obvious offside goal against them ... happens to everyone

Didn't see the red card, but did see the three players offside for the goal. Not close and something the linesman should have got imho. Like you say, happens to everyone, but you would hope more marginal decisions were got wrong occasionally than something like this. :rolleyes:

I have been saying for years he is not that good a manager! At Bayern (who did the treble the year before he joined incl. CL) he could not win the CL and both there and Barca easily had the best squad in a weak leagues. He now has a far more competitive league and is struggling - Bravo again was to blame for the goal, what a great idea replacing Hart with him.

Great result for Spurs. :clap: The form Chel$ki were in I didn't give them that much of chance. I'm sure the Spurs fans will enjoy stopping Chel$ki getting the record of the 14th successive victory. ;)

Dele Alli is in **** hot form atm. I hope the injury he went off with isn't too serious.

Wenger out!!! Do we do any defending in training??? Clueless!
Heard something that piers morgan said yesterday that made me think they just don't care enough. I didn't see the game, but he suggested the team from ten years ago wouldn't have celebrated that 3rd goal so much, but rushed to get on and try to win

Fixed this for you. ;)
who from the top six is not in the "sky five?"

Great result for Spurs. :clap: The form Chel$ki were in I didn't give them that much of chance. I'm sure the Spurs fans will enjoy stopping Chel$ki getting the record of the 14th successive victory. ;)
Dele Alli is in **** hot form atm. I hope the injury he went off with isn't too serious.
slight revenge for denting their title challenge last year

Sorry Nick, I always seem to forget Spurs for some reason (lol). Hopefully this makes up for it; apparently you can now be offside from a throw-in.

Offside?

Arrrrggghhhh.... I am about to explode!!!!! Wenger.... f**King do one!!!!

I'm begining to belive that some of that Arsenal team have become very complacent and arrogant. "It's only Watford" is probably what was going through their minds. Something needs to change, and soon....

I'm begining to belive that some of that Arsenal team have become very complacent and arrogant. "It's only Watford" is probably what was going through their minds. Something needs to change, and soon....
I believed that for a few seasons. I've never agreed with the praise they get for demolishing mediocre sides (or good sides just having a bad day) and think the media just show their desperation for having an English equivalent to Barcelona.

Pops in - shouts "COME ON YOU SPURS", and leaves :D

And that comes from the manager who cannot motivate.

I'm begining to belive that some of that Arsenal team have become very complacent....

I think everybody has this view. Certainly for a few years now. A reflection of the Manager and the ambition of the club if anything.

United huffing and puffing against Hull. It's a must win game really tonight but looking lame.

No matter how badly we play, it's a nice feeling to know that Spuds will still finish below us in the league....
It must really grate that we spend a lot of the season above you :D

Last eyar was a learning experience fo rthe youngest team in the premiership (and the manager)

To be honest after years of mid table mediocrity I'm happy to be up in the top 4 fighting

It must really grate that we spend a lot of the season above you :D

Last eyar was a learning experience fo rthe youngest team in the premiership (and the manager)

To be honest after years of mid table mediocrity I'm happy to be up in the top 4 fighting

Doesnt matter about how long, its where you are on the last day (as we know, we often top the league but nowhere near it at the end of the season).

3rd in a 2 horse race... just saying!!!

Doesnt matter about how long, its where you are on the last day...
After Tuesday's results I was amazed at how many people on the radio were saying that Arsenal were "lucky" and had "got away with it", because Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham had also dropped points.

Surely they understand that it doesn't work like that? The only thing that matters is the number of points you accumulate over the course of 38 games, and 3 points dropped is 3 points dropped.

Surely they understand that it doesn't work like that? The only thing that matters is the number of points you accumulate over the course of 38 games, and 3 points dropped is 3 points dropped.

Surely it's the number of points you accumulate compared to everyone else that matters.
I'd rather win the league with 80 points than come second with 90. :p

Glad to see Arsenal and Liverpool 'pointless' today but I've no doubt United will once again fail to capitalise on it tomorrow.

Glad to see Arsenal and Liverpool 'pointless' today but I've no doubt United will once again fail to capitalise on it tomorrow.
looks like chelsea's title to me
how long have untied fans been droning that "Something tells me I'm into something good" rendition, as it was doing my nut in during the hull loss. Jose's mood has gone sour again since they started singing it I reckon, as well as the results

Arsenal did better than I expected, I said it would be 3-0. I just don't understand, we have the talent, but not the motivation, I can only see that as a Management problem. Never been in the Wenger out camp, but I'm slowly making my way in that direction.... For such an intelligent man, I find him bloody stupid at times.

Arsenal did better than I expected, I said it would be 3-0. I just don't understand, we have the talent, but not the motivation, I can only see that as a Management problem. Never been in the Wenger out camp, but I'm slowly making my way in that direction.... For such an intelligent man, I find him bloody stupid at times.
Stubborn and out of ideas. Game has passed him by, and this from a massive Arséne Wenger fan. I'm apprehensive about moving on as he provides consistency whether you care to admit it or not, but a fresh approach would excite me more than anything and it's sad to say it's probably time for him to go.

Stubborn and out of ideas. Game has passed him by, and this from a massive Arséne Wenger fan. I'm apprehensive about moving on as he provides consistency whether you care to admit it or not, but a fresh approach would excite me more than anything and it's sad to say it's probably time for him to go.
Some Arsenal fans should be wary of what they wish for. ;)

Replacing such a successful manager who has been at one team for so long is no guarantee of continued success. I don't think Arsenal have the Chel$ki, Cit€h or Utd money to back a manager in the transfer market as any new manager would surely want/need to be able to compete after the change, and so may have to go lower before (if they ever) they go up. And that would be if they stuck with, and backed the replacement.Utd on their 3rd chap after Ferguson. Arsenal seemingly lack the consistency of title winners in recent years, but then only one or two teams do each year, and certain season's, like it seems this one and the last, a team will leave the others behind. How close the 4-5 teams are behind Chel$ki show how inconsistent the rest are (though consistent in the larger view of things below 6-7th place ;)) in comparison.

Last year aside though, it is still the usual subjects, at least atm. ;) If Conte had come in and not fixed Moaninho's mess, Arsenal could be fighting for the title with the others. That is how close it is at the top apart from Chel$ki this season. I would have been made up if my team had finished 2nd last year, not Arsenal fans. ;) I say this as someone who has lived through their team being the best team for a couple of decades, and so appreciate being near the top and the sporadic trophies when they happen. :)

And as to what is success, opinions may vary, but 98% of teams would 'kill' for Arsenal's 'success' year after year. :rolleyes:

And before you have a go at Liverpool, they are consistent atm, they can't win games. :( :LOL:

Last edited:
Still well done spurs eh :D
I thought middleborough looked brilliant in defence. Chambers had a great game, the arse could do with him back. Fabio and Clayton were also good. Valdez made some great saves but could have been off in the first half.
Despite the defence, spurs made lots of chances, just didn't put them away.
Good to get some distance from the others.

Even a concussed Bellerin would improve Palace's defence.

Some Arsenal fans should be wary of what they wish for. ;)

Replacing such a successful manager who has been at one team for so long is no guarantee of continued success. I don't think Arsenal have the Chel$ki, Cit€h or Utd money to back a manager in the transfer market as any new manager would surely want/need to be able to compete after the change, and so may have to go lower before (if they ever) they go up. And that would be if they stuck with, and backed the replacement.Utd on their 3rd chap after Ferguson. Arsenal seemingly lack the consistency of title winners in recent years, but then only one or two teams do each year, and certain season's, like it seems this one and the last, a team will leave the others behind. How close the 4-5 teams are behind Chel$ki show how inconsistent the rest are (though consistent in the larger view of things below 6-7th place ;)) in comparison.

Last year aside though, it is still the usual subjects, at least atm. ;) If Conte had come in and not fixed Moaninho's mess, Arsenal could be fighting for the title with the others. That is how close it is at the top apart from Chel$ki this season. I would have been made up if my team had finished 2nd last year, not Arsenal fans. ;) I say this as someone who has lived through their team being the best team for a couple of decades, and so appreciate being near the top and the sporadic trophies when they happen. :)

And as to what is success, opinions may vary, but 98% of teams would 'kill' for Arsenal's 'success' year after year. :rolleyes:

And before you have a go at Liverpool, they are consistent atm, they can't win games. :( [emoji38]
I have agreed with that exact perspective for years now, but the fact is Arséne is the 4th highest paid manager in the world right now (not England, the world).

Yes he delivers 'success' to an extent, but what is qualifying for the CL without actually competing for it year after year? We should have won the league last year regardless of Leicester's performances and we just didn't do enough to get there. Things looked like they may have changed this year, but poor results against lower level teams (look at Watford last week) has thrown a major spanner into our title challenge and it seems we'll fall short again.

We may not have a sugar daddy of a Chelsea or City, but don't be fooled into thinking we can't afford big names. Bank balances have never been healthier at the Emirates but apparently the big fella can't find the players to improve us? I don't believe it and whilst I appreciate everything he's done for us, I'm getting tired of the same old same old.

We should have won the league last year regardless of Leicester's performances and we just didn't do enough to get there.
There are three or four teams a season that could say that.
Arsenal are quite unique in English football, in that they had a period of recent success under a single manager. In my lifetime, they won 3 titles prior to Wenger elevating them and 3 under him. Why do Arsenal fans think they should be winning title after title without the money of Chelsea and Man City? Liverpool haven't and they had a lot longer a success period before them

There are three or four teams a season that could say that.
Arsenal are quite unique in English football, in that they had a period of recent success under a single manager. In my lifetime, they won 3 titles prior to Wenger elevating them and 3 under him. Why do Arsenal fans think they should be winning title after title without the money of Chelsea and Man City? Liverpool haven't and they had a lot longer a success period before them
This is not a sense of entitlement. Arséne Wenger has done an amazing job, but the fact is it isn't just about buying the best players. It isn't just about who has the most money (which Arsenal have plenty of btw). We didn't have the setup / tactics, desire or nouse to compete with Chelsea yesterday.

We haven't won a title for 12 years and for years Arsenal have apparently only needed one or two high quality additions to push for the title. Instead, we're too sympathetic to players who just can't cut it anymore. Chelsea just let a 32 year old Ivanovic leave because he won't play. Arsenal though give a 32 year old Mertesacker a new deal? We'll finish 3rd or 4th again I'm sure, but it's getting boring and frustrating that we won't push on from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back