The Football Thread - Season 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad, but not as huge surprise.

Moyes was never going to be the right man for the task,no experience of a relegation fight and this season was never going to be anything else for them.

Motty just on saying the club has been poorly managed from the top for the last 4 years. No punches pulled.

Motty just on saying the club has been poorly managed from the top for the last 4 years. No punches pulled.

I think he's spot on, this has been inevitable for a long time just as it was for Wigan & Villa before them.

Moyes was never going to be the right man for the task,no experience of a relegation fight and this season was never going to be anything else for them.

I don't think that many managers would have saved them, chronic under-investment and manager revolving door for 4 years will only lead to 1 thing.

I don't think that many managers would have saved them, chronic under-investment and manager revolving door for 4 years will only lead to 1 thing.

They've been abusing the loan market for too long for first team players. Every season they start weaker than they ended the previous, the fact they wouldn't pay for m'vila didn't help them and by December he decided not too bother coming. Sadly I don't think Sunderland have enough desirable players to mount a first time return like we have just achieved.

I do question where the money has gone. We (Newcastle) forked out £80m last season to try and stay up. How can a team that had consistently been there longer than us not afford to do the same ?

I do question where the money has gone. We (Newcastle) forked out £80m last season to try and stay up. How can a team that had consistently been there longer than us not afford to do the same ?

The drop payment being desirable at this stage?

They've been abusing the loan market for too long for first team players. Every season they start weaker than they ended the previous, the fact they wouldn't pay for m'vila didn't help them and by December he decided not too bother coming. Sadly I don't think Sunderland have enough desirable players to mount a first time return like we have just achieved.

Cos they paid their taxes!!!

The drop payment being desirable at this stage?

The television rights are a lot more than the parachute payments though. Nevermind they've sat st the bottom of the table for years now so it's not like they don't deserve it. Just a shame we will be the only north east team up next year. The more northern teams in the PL the better.

Has anyone noticed the incredible dogfight going on for the play-off places in Sky Bet League Two?

The three automatic promotion places are well sorted - Portsmouth in 3rd are 10 points clear of Luton in 4th. Luton are guaranteed a play-off spot, as are Exeter in 5th. But beyond that, there are SEVEN teams still in contention for the last two play-off places, with only one game to go. (Before this weekend it was NINE, but Accrington and Grimsby both lost yesterday.) It's incredible to think that a team can be 14th with two games to go, or 12th with one game to go, and still have a shot at the play-offs.
Screenshot_20170430-224458.jpg

Next Saturday:
Carlisle (6th, 68 pts) are at Exeter (5th)
Blackpool (7th, 67) host Leyton Orient (24th)
Stevenage (8th, 67) host Accrington (13th)
Cambridge (9th, 66) are at Wycombe (11th)
Colchester (10th, 66) host Yeovil (19th)
Wycombe (11th, 66) host Cambridge (9th)
Mansfield (12th, 65) are at Crawley (21st)

If only two of these seven teams win their last matches, and the other five lose, then the two winners get the last two play-off places. It really could be as simple as that. So every combination is still possible except Cambridge and Wycombe, who play one another.

Incredible.

Last edited:
Will have to check K-O time so we can take avoiding action if necessary. (Our usual route to town is past the entrance/exit of St James's Park and the road is all but impassable for a while before and after an important game.)

Well done to Newcastle and Rafa. :clap: I hope Rafa stays at Newcastle and gets the backing from the Chairman.

Feel sorry for Blackburn, but one of them had to go down. They did all they could do by winning. Terrible owners they have. Sadly there are a few of them about.

Liverpool mess up again. :( Players came out and played in an apathetic manner. :mad:Just watching the Arsenal v Utd game and they both had more energy and fight in them in the first 10 mins than Liverpool had the whole game. :rolleyes: It's like they can't get up for a game regardless of consequences if it is not against a top 6 team. :thinking: :rolleyes: They don't deserve the Champions League. (n)

Well I won't be here next season, National League for my lot if we are lucky.

If you have a boring owner who just keeps you ticking along thank your lucky stars because there are others much worse.

Up the O's

Really wanted Brum to go down but Blackburn deserve too as well.

Shame Cambridge missed out on play offs by 4 points.

Well I won't be here next season, National League for my lot if we are lucky.

If you have a boring owner who just keeps you ticking along thank your lucky stars because there are others much worse.

Up the O's

Nevermind mate you'll have a couple of trips up north with Hartlepool and Gateshead being in the conference ! Hate to see teams relegated that have good support though. Even sunderland is a shame. Those fans deserve a hell of a lot more.

Nevermind mate you'll have a couple of trips up north with Hartlepool and Gateshead being in the conference ! Hate to see teams relegated that have good support though. Even sunderland is a shame. Those fans deserve a hell of a lot more.

Very true, looking forward to Guiseley too, not looking great for footie up in the north east apart from Newcastle. Read somewhere Darlo have had a knock back from the league because of their ground, that Reynolds bloke was another wrong'un

Very true, looking forward to Guiseley too, not looking great for footie up in the north east apart from Newcastle. Read somewhere Darlo have had a knock back from the league because of their ground, that Reynolds bloke was another wrong'un

North east football is f****d. It won't be long before there are no top flight teams from up here. The way I look at it is we want as many northern teams in the PL because if you're a foreign talent and your agents says Bournemouth and newcastle are in for you you ask where they are. you will see all the big clubs are from near there and that there's a lot too do. Then about 300 mile away you have newcastle where there's little to do !

Just as bad in Yorkshire, have they got any teams left in the premier if Hull go down.

The opposite in London for the smaller teams, players can't afford to live there and would rather sign for a northern team where they can buy a house

Well done to Newcastle and Rafa. :clap: I hope Rafa stays at Newcastle and gets the backing from the Chairman.

Feel sorry for Blackburn, but one of them had to go down. They did all they could do by winning. Terrible owners they have. Sadly there are a few of them about.

Liverpool mess up again. :( Players came out and played in an apathetic manner. :mad:Just watching the Arsenal v Utd game and they both had more energy and fight in them in the first 10 mins than Liverpool had the whole game. :rolleyes: It's like they can't get up for a game regardless of consequences if it is not against a top 6 team. :thinking: :rolleyes: They don't deserve the Champions League. (n)

The pool have been so frustrating of late and the loss against palace really got on my t*ts. Then again when you think of the injuries we have were not doing too bad with 7wins, 3draws out of 12. I also keep thinking they dont deserve champs league but if at the end of the season were in the top 4 then we do. Next season though i just hope klopp ploughs some money into defence and a good holding midfielder.

Bloody heck, Gunners win away from home, and even the Donkey got a goal.....

Really wanted Brum to go down.

Me too. I got no time for dodgy 'arry'. Too many bank accounts in far off islands named after his dog ! Can we look forward to 'arry' conducting more tv/radio interviews after dropping his car window ? Where did all the young(ish) tracksuit managers go ?

I've just looked at the Premier League table. Points wise, West Brom in 8th are closer to the relegation zone than to Everton in 7th. A gap of 16 points between the top 7 and the rest!

Congratulations to the new Premier League Champions Chel$ki. :clap: By far the most consistent team.

Now lets see who doesn't want the places in Europe the most. ;) :LOL:

It has been a bit like that hasn't it lol

Congratulations to the new Premier League Champions Chel$ki. :clap: By far the most consistent team.

Now lets see who doesn't want the places in Europe the most. ;) :LOL:

You know, I really want to say "Well done Chelsea", but just can't help thinking about "where would they be without the Russian money?" Because personally, I think they'd be mid-table, maybe top 6 at best.

You know, I really want to say "Well done Chelsea", but just can't help thinking about "where would they be without the Russian money?" Because personally, I think they'd be mid-table, maybe top 6 at best.
They'd still be bobbing in and out of the top division like they had for decades before and who knows where man city would be .... but they are where they are and it has to be accepted. I don't applaud either for their successes, but I accept them.

Wll at least the Gunners are putting some late season pressure on Liverpool. That goal from Ozil was a joy to watch, he & Sanchez seem to be on a different plane to everybody else.

Where would any of the top teams be without big money backers, even lower down Bournemouth rely on Russian money.

Everyone's favourites Leicester have mega rich backers, in fact its hard to name a team that doesn't.

1st my disclaimers: I am a Leicester City supporter and I appreciate football referees have an increasingly tough job.

Having got that out of the way WTF was ref Bobby Madley doing yesterday when refereeing the Man City v Leicester match ?

Man C's 1st goal was so offside by every possible criteria that to give it was a joke. Then to compound his amateurish handling of this match he disallows Mahrez's penalty for a double hit . . . I dispair, Mahrez slipped as he struck the ball and the ball touched his 'slipped' non striking foot. The ball didn' t do anything crazy, no real deviation in fact most would not realise it touched his other foot ? Are referees banned from employing common sense ? That 2 hit rule was to prevent penalty takers from passing to a team mate or dribbling it up to the keeper. Come back Pierre Luigi Collina, the Premier league needs you.

Having got that out of the way WTF was ref Bobby Madley doing yesterday when refereeing the Man City v Leicester match ?

Man C's 1st goal was so offside by every possible criteria that to give it was a joke.

Most blame has to go to the awful offside rule atm imho. Make it simpler. Though if it was the old system it may still have stood if the linesman didn't think Sterling was in an offside position, as he was only slightly ahead of the defender.
Then to compound his amateurish handling of this match he disallows Mahrez's penalty for a double hit . . . I dispair, Mahrez slipped as he struck the ball and the ball touched his 'slipped' non striking foot. The ball didn' t do anything crazy, no real deviation in fact most would not realise it touched his other foot ? Are referees banned from employing common sense ? That 2 hit rule was to prevent penalty takers from passing to a team mate or dribbling it up to the keeper. Come back Pierre Luigi Collina, the Premier league needs you.

That is the rule, so it rightly shouldn't have counted. Pierre Luigi Collina, or anyone else, would have had to make the same decision if they had seen the two hits.

Most blame has to go to the awful offside rule atm imho. Make it simpler. Though if it was the old system it may still have stood if the linesman didn't think Sterling was in an offside position, as he was only slightly ahead of the defender.

That is the rule, so it rightly shouldn't have counted. Pierre Luigi Collina, or anyone else, would have had to make the same decision if they had seen the two hits.

I disagree. It comes down to how you interpret the rule. Someone said yesterday (I forget who) ediit: it was G Lineker he had seen that happen a few times but the goal has never before been disallowed. It goes back to my comment about using common sense. Since it happened I have not heard a single ex-player or pundit say that the goal should have been disallowed. To disallow that goal was pedantic, unnecessary and did football (or the referree) no favours.

Last edited:
Will that be the plane away from Arsenal! ;) :rolleyes: :LOL:

That Sanchez face dive when the ball hit him in the shoulder was disgraceful.

Unfortunately diving is now woven into the game, and there ARE moments when it could go either way, but part of me wishes they'd just send Costa - whoops I mean Sterling - whoops I mean Sanchez - I mean erm... divers- off.

I disagree. It comes down to how you interpret the rule. Someone said yesterday (I forget who) ediit: it was G Lineker he had seen that happen a few times but the goal has never before been disallowed. It goes back to my comment about using common sense. Since it happened I have not heard a single ex-player or pundit say that the goal should have been disallowed. To disallow that goal was pedantic, unnecessary and did football (or the referree) no favours.

I agree that if common sense / interpretation was an option in this rule, then it should have stood, but it isn't. The person taking the penalty can only kick it once. Sometimes it will be seen, sometimes it won't be, just like any incident. In the times it wasn't 'seen', was it the Ref turning a 'blind eye' or genuinely not seeing it when it wasn't disallowed? Only they can say. :thinking:

Some of the things ex players and pundits say should and shouldn't be allowed are contrary to the rules and the spirit of the game imho. And as younger players become pundits, the way they tried to cheat will start to become accepted. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back