The Football Thread.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure United got their tactics wrong Alan - Barca were just so much better.

When the other team have the ball Barca work so hard to get it back and give you no time to build anything.

It's easy to say the opposition (United in this case) should press harder to get the ball back and do the same - but they are just so good at zipping it about, moving and retaining posession.

Look at any stats from a Barca game and they have about 70% of the ball.

It looked to me as is Man U just didn't learn from the last time Barca beat them in the final. When playing the best team in the world standing off doesn't seem like a tactic that could work and looking at the teams that have done well against Barca they've done it... surprise surprise, when pressing them.

It looked to me as is Man U just didn't learn from the last time Barca beat them in the final. When playing the best team in the world standing off doesn't seem like a tactic that could work and looking at the teams that have done well against Barca they've done it... surprise surprise, when pressing them.

I don't think United's tactic was 'standing off' - simply that Barca move the ball so quickly that your 'pressing' method becomes - well - not very pressing.

I don't think United's tactic was 'standing off' - simply that Barca move the ball so quickly that your 'pressing' method becomes - well - not very pressing.

I felt that Ferguson's tactics were to press early, rush at them and not allow them to settle, which, to a degree, worked in the first 15-20mins but never produced a goal.
They started the second half in the same vain but again Barca were able to find their composure and started the passing game which really does make them untouchable.

I can't believe people are trying to besmirch Barca about diving etc. yeah the game with Madrid in the previous round was a disgrace but that was just down to the rivalry between both teams. Of course you wouldn't see Rooney, Giggs or Owen do that would you..oh wait...

Man Utd's weakness is its midfield. They just don't have the quality (Giggs aside) in that part of the pitch to control the game against a side so comfortable in possession. We saw it when Arsenal played United and even Arsenal's young midfield (wilshere, ramsey, walcott) dominated the middle of the park and won 1-0 because of it.

I'd argue United's 'title' of 'best' team in the premier league isn't because of their exceptional quality, just because they're more consistent than all other sides across a season. If both sides played their best I'd expect Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City to all out class United. The reason those teams haven't won the league is because those three teams have bigger, more frequent slumps in performance than United ever seem to.

They were never going to beat a side as talented as Barcelona.

Been watching some of the Football 40 London Legends Cup at Craven Cottage today.

Great to see some of the old players strutting their stuff again.

Chelsea beat Fulham then Spurs beat Arsenal then Chelsea beat Spurs in the final.

Where would withdrawing get us? The rest of the world would just say see ya!

it always takes one to start a chain.

If the english and scottish FA left and started a new body which was fully transparent and a serious association I think others would follow suit in time.

Personally I would sacrifice us not having any international football for a few years if it meant having a new federation that was not corrupt.

If the english and scottish FA left and started a new body which was fully transparent and a serious association I think others would follow suit in time.

Personally I would sacrifice us not having any international football for a few years if it meant having a new federation that was not corrupt.

I think others would be open to the idea of forming something else already (y)

Some of the main FIFA sponsors are waining too.

What is the connection between the Domestic FA's, the Continental Associations, and FIFA ? I mean, can't EUFA put pressure on FIFA ?

Having a one man ballot is totally bloody ridiculous.....

Steve

Where would withdrawing get us? The rest of the world would just say see ya!

Oh dear......that would mean we wouldn't have the four yearly media inspired frenzy and cry our eyes out after being knocked out and the sack the manager debacle cos we aint good enough world cup competition(y)

Can you tell that wouldn't really bother me?:wave:

Until the money of sponsors and TV is withdrawn these co**uPt brown envelope passing looking after themselves alleged patrons of the game, will not let it change.

Last edited:
Oh dear......that would mean we wouldn't have the four yearly media inspired frenzy and cry our eyes out after being knocked out and the sack the manager debacle cos we aint good enough world cup competition(y)

Can you tell that wouldn't really bother me?:wave:

Even worse, would we only get England v Scotland games all the time until some others get round to joining us? Well at least England would win most of them! :clap:

Now there's more match fixing allegations from Italy....AGAIN, will they ever learn? NO!

I think others would be open to the idea of forming something else already (y)

I'm sorry, I don't think the English and the Scottish FA leaving FIFA would make much difference to the situation. Do you guys not watch the Eurovision Song Contest, that's how much we're thought of, at least throughout Europe :LOL:

It's more interesting with the main sponsors getting involved, that will have one or two sweating I would imagine!

^^^^^^^^

Yes another of the problems - these mickey mouse footballing states who rely on FIFA's monetary input.

The joke surely is on England and it is a position we will never win from.....so, do we put up and shut up and allow these idiots to continue, or make a solitary stand and be ostracised?

Hmmmmmmmmmm:shake:

I care not from a footballing standpoint but once again we are made to look like one of the aforementioned mickey mouse states. Oh and don't bother asking the government for help - pot and black would be the most likely response from FIFA:wave:

I'm sorry, I don't think the English and the Scottish FA leaving FIFA would make much difference to the situation. Do you guys not watch the Eurovision Song Contest, that's how much we're thought of, at least throughout Europe :LOL:

thats very different, nobody involved in eurovision minds the sway voting of neighbours, even england couldn't care less, it's not about singing, it's just about showing political support and what not.

But countries in football do care about the dictatorship and corruption, it's not about liking england it's about creating a transparent and fair football organisation, it doesn't matter who leads it - if there is an alternative that has a good plan and good financial backing with the right sponsors, people will jump ship.

When you read all those comments from people in that thread - bashing england - apart from argentina, which other country is a strong force in football?

Moucharafou Anjorin, federation president of Benin
Congolese Selemani Omari
Costakis Koutsokoumnis from Cyprus

I mean you aren't seeing these comments coming from Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, Brazil etc.

If those teams started to sway and form the new federation that would be it for FIFA.

thats very different, nobody involved in eurovision minds the sway voting of neighbours, even england couldn't care less, it's not about singing, it's just about showing political support and what not.

But countries in football do care about the dictatorship and corruption, it's not about liking england it's about creating a transparent and fair football organisation, it doesn't matter who leads it - if there is an alternative that has a good plan and good financial backing with the right sponsors, people will jump ship.

I think the point I'm making is England don't carry any weight whatsoever in Europe in terms of changing such things, that's apparent.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you, Blatter should have exited stage left a long time ago, and of course if there's an alternative people will go for it, but only if it offers more money, a bigger slice of the pie and bigger prospects - but then we'll just be back to square one once again! :)

I think the point I'm making is England don't carry any weight whatsoever in Europe in terms of changing such things, that's apparent.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you, Blatter should have exited stage left a long time ago, and of course if there's an alternative people will go for it, but only if it offers more money, a bigger slice of the pie and bigger prospects - but then we'll just be back to square one once again! :)

but i guess I don't think they need weight to make the change. If they made a change and offered a viable alternative, others would follow. Its about the alternative that is there, not necessarily about who starts it. I think it could offer the same exact pie etc but offer a fairer option people would go for it.

Holland for example would jump at it, look how they conducted their world cup bid once they got the demands from fifa - they just published them

Last edited:
Yep - the close season seems almost as fun as the football season with all the rumours and managerial shake-ups.

Quite pleased to see Phil Jones & Chris Smalling together now at club level - here's hoping they can build a partnership that England can benefit from.

I still think Hughes could wind up taking over at Villa - no doubt the Mcleish link is their way of making the fans happy about any other appointment they announce.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13726100.stm

this is good news, as there were rumours he was going to manure.

God knows (by all accounts) where he'll end up......

"The Inter fans have always treated me very well. They were wonderful and I want to simply thank them. Only God will decide where my future lies.

Inter president Massimo Moratti 'unhappy' with Wesley Sneijder's latest U-turn over his future.

"I am worried and unhappy to hear Sneijder's comments about his future," Moratti told the Italian media. " Untill now he had always said he wanted to stay."

I think he'll be Chelsea bound (if he moves) as it's getting a bit 'high profile' for United.

looks like man u haven't got an easy start next season, away to west brom but then 2 consecutive home games against spurs and arsenal followed by another home game against chelsea 2 weeks later

thats tough cos it means all away games later in the season in feb and march

liverpool was pretty good in that sense, a lot of home games against important clubs in the second half

Alan Shearer turned down the Cardiff manager's job because he didn't want to be known as a sheep Shearer!

Football is now a truly international game and that makes the transfer window that bit more interesting here in Scotland:

Celtic target Jorge Claros was injured in a drive-by shooting in his native Honduras. (Daily Mail)

Bursaspor's attempts to sign Steven Whittaker from Rangers have been derailed after several of the Turkish club's board members were held in a police raid. (Daily Record)

And there was you thinking it was all about ego and agents! :LOL:

looks like man u haven't got an easy start next season, away to west brom but then 2 consecutive home games against spurs and arsenal followed by another home game against chelsea 2 weeks later

thats tough cos it means all away games later in the season in feb and march

liverpool was pretty good in that sense, a lot of home games against important clubs in the second half

Looked at the opening day Joe but not too bothered about the order of games.

United tend to perform better towards the end of the season (squeaky bum time) rather than early doors so I like to have the tough games late on.

Looks like Villa's appointment of Mcleish was a good day to announce. Try and bury it as best you can in amongst the fixture releases!

A strange one though I'm thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back