The Formula 1 / IndyCar Thread

I just think that the oval track racing doesn't entertain like most F1 circuits. However, I would be quite happy for there to never be another GP in Monaco, I'm pretty sure that there were very few real "overtakes" and the circuit just isn't suitable for modern F1 cars.

I agree that a regular oval isn’t great entertainment, but Indianapolis is a superspeedway which is whole different beast. Sadly since the CART heyday the number of superspeedways being used in IndyCar has sadly diminished. There is something about such close quarter racing at such high speed that I love!

My wife came in and saw me watching the Monaco GP build up. She said, oh is that how it finished and I said it hasn't started yet but yes!

It really is time to take it off the calendar and find a proper track to race on.

Not sure I like the idea of a manufacturer/team owning a GP circuit. Same goes for Suzuka.

How good was MotoGP at Mugello this weekend. A proper track.

Sad that we lost a rider though. The dangers are always present.
Yeah. MotoGP has been much improved in the last 2 seasons.

I've always been a fan of bike racing, WSB & MGP, but I haven't kept up with it so much since we moved for some reason - maybe it's because I know I'll be pining for another bike should I get back into it. I used to love doing track days, especially when I had my Gixxer 600. I never felt that I enjoyed using my Fireblade as much on circuits, but loved it on the road...

Sad to see the loss of a rider. Thoughts are with everybody involved.

I watched the Indy 500, relatively incident free race and a well deserved winner. I met Helio at Rockingham in 2001, lovely guy and absolutely tiny.

Sad to see the loss of a rider. Thoughts are with everybody involved.

I watched the Indy 500, relatively incident free race and a well deserved winner. I met Helio at Rockingham in 2001, lovely guy and absolutely tiny.

I went to that race too. Wow those cars were amazing.

Wow those cars were amazing.

They were, mile and a half in 25 seconds or so.

I was there in 2002 as well. I was waving a Scottish flag in the grandstand at the exit of turn 1, had the grandstand almost to myself.

I convinced myself that Dario won because of that flag waving. :LOL:

In 2001, it was the week after 9/11. On the Friday, 2 Tornado GR4s went over, low and fast, everybody froze.

Last edited:
They were, mile and a half in 25 seconds or so.

I was there in 2002 as well. I was waving a Scottish flag in the grandstand at the exit of turn 1, had the grandstand almost to myself.

I convinced myself that Dario won because of that flag waving. :LOL:

In 2001, it was the week after 9/11. On the Friday, 2 Tornado GR4s went over, low and fast, everybody froze.

The 2001 race was also a few days after Alex Zanardi’s crash in Germany. During the Rockingham race I kept hoping that there wouldn’t be anything so tragic in that race.

The 2001 race was also a few days after Alex Zanardi’s crash in Germany. During the Rockingham race I kept hoping that there wouldn’t be anything so tragic in that race.

I remember walking past Alex's pit, it was all set out as if he was there.

2021 Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix

VNZfung.png

Googlemaps Track Location

Baku City Circuit
Lap data
Lap length 6.003km (3.73 miles)
Race laps 51
Race distance 306.051km (190.171 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’43.441 (Sebastian Vettel, 2017)
Fastest lap 1’40.593 (Lewis Hamilton, 2017, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 337kph (209.402 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 330m
Full throttle 75%
Longest flat-out section 2010m
Gear changes per lap 78
Fuel use per lap 1.96kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.32s
Pit lane time loss 22s

UK Times
Friday 4th June 2021
Azerbaijan Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 13:30-15:00 (UK time: 10:30-12:00)
Azerbaijan Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 17:00-18:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 5th June 2021
Azerbaijan Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 14:00-15:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Azerbaijan Grand Prix Qualifying: 17:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 6th June 2021
Azerbaijan Grand Prix: 16:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
2017 Australia Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer Baku City Circuit
2018 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2019 Finland Valtteri Bottas Mercedes

Videos

Max 2017
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7n4IaWR8E

Standings

nWUWQ3Q.png

sA8tRhU.png

Long-time McLaren Formula 1 team shareholder and key figure Mansour Ojjeh has died.

The F1 team announced that the 68-year-old, a shareholder of McLaren since 1984, passed in Geneva on Sunday morning.

Ojjeh was a senior figure at McLaren since the TAG Group he led invested in the company almost 40 years ago, a move that was key to Ron Dennis’s era in charge of McLaren gaining momentum.

Well that didn't follow the the script did it....

I didn't see the post mortem. Was is brake overheating or just a monumental cock up?

His brakes were practically on fire at the restart sitting on the grid. He'd probably cooked them on the 'warm up' lap with such a move in mind.

His brakes were practically on fire at the restart sitting on the grid. He'd probably cooked them on the 'warm up' lap with such a move in mind.

He actually forgot to turn off the setting used during a warm up lap that transfers the break bias to the front. Hence when he got to turn one, no rear breaks.

He actually forgot to turn off the setting used during a warm up lap that transfers the break bias to the front. Hence when he got to turn one, no rear breaks.

It just shows, in the heat of battle, even the very best and very experienced can get it wrong. He's lucky that Max got a DNF as well, so he's not further behind.

It just shows, in the heat of battle, even the very best and very experienced can get it wrong. He's lucky that Max got a DNF as well, so he's not further behind.

To be fair he wouldn't have been in that position if Max hadn't crashed out but you are right about even the best in the heat of battle can make mistakes.

It's how you recover from it that is the mark of a champion. Hopefully both Max and Lewis will come back just as strong in the next round.

Is it time for Mercedes to send Bottas home on gardening leave and put George W. in the other car?

Hamilton needs a teammate who can back him up like Perez managed to in this GP for Max.

Is it time for Mercedes to send Bottas home on gardening leave and put George W. in the other car?

Hamilton needs a teammate who can back him up like Perez managed to in this GP for Max.

I don't know. Bottas is clearly not coming up with the goods but I don't know why.

From Mercedes point of view they obvious want both cars to perform well - the two drivers working together, more point for the team if they both get in the points - so I can't see Bottas's garage giving him an inferior car.

Bottas has shown he can drive very well - has he suddenly gone off the boil? If so, why I wonder?

Alternatively, is too much being read into this? In the six races this season Bottas has failed to get points in three of them. I haven't read anything about the reason for his lack of performance yesterday but the other two occasions were -

a crash with Russell in Imola. The FIA took no action over it so I assume they considered it a racing incident or neither driver could be sufficiently accused of causing it, and

the failure of the tyre gun in Monaco, which clearly wasn't Bottas's fault.

In the other three races he came 3rd - which are more than respectable results.

Agree about Perez - a driver any team would(or should) want IMO.

Dave

Last edited:
I don't know. Bottas is clearly not coming up with the goods but I don't know why.

From Mercedes point of view they obvious want both cars to perform well - the two drivers working together, more point for the team if they both get in the points - so I can't see Bottas's garage giving him an inferior car.

Bottas has shown he can drive very well - has he suddenly gone off the boil? If so, why I wonder?

Perhaps he's just had enough of being Lewis' nice guy sidekick; but if that is the case, he needs to show another team that he's capable of much more than he's shown. Let's be honest, there's 2 drivers in this championship, the Ferraris are going to figure, but neither of them is going to win the championship this year. If Lewis were not able to drive for any reason, would you really want Bottas as your No 1 driver?

Alternatively, is too much being read into this? In the six races this season Bottas has failed to get points in three of them. I haven't read anything about the reason for his lack of performance yesterday but the other two occasions were -

a crash with Russell in Imola. The FIA took no action over it so I assume they considered it a racing incident or neither driver could be sufficiently accused of causing it, and

the failure of the tyre gun in Monaco, which clearly wasn't Bottas's fault.

In the other three races he came 3rd - which are more than respectable results.

Agree about Perez - a driver any team would(or should) want IMO.

Dave

Russell caused the crash in Imola, the pit crew messed up in Monaco and Leclerc's crash stopped Bottas getting a decent qualifying place in Q3.

Russell caused the crash in Imola, the pit crew messed up in Monaco and Leclerc's crash stopped Bottas getting a decent qualifying place in Q3.

True, he has had some bad luck. It's obviously a tougher challenge for him this year with Max being very competitive so P3 is probably not a bad result. But look at last year, he had a P2 or P1 car with Max not being particularly close yet he finished outside of the top two more than half of the races and outside the top 3 for a third of them. Maybe not all his fault but this year that could cost Mercedes the Constructors Championship if he slips back into those kind of performances.

He seems unhappy in the team and that isn't the best environment in which to perform at your best. The season is long so maybe I'll be proven wrong, I'm married so I'm used to that :sneaky:

2021 Formula 1 Emirates Grand Prix De France

LleRp2p.png

Circuit Paul Ricard
Lap data
Lap length 5.842km (3.63 miles)
Race laps 53
Race distance 309.626km (192.393 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Fastest lap 1’28.319 (Lewis Hamilton, 2019, qualifying three)

UK Times
Friday 18th June 2021
French Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:30-13:00 (UK time: 10:30-12:00)
French Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 19th June 2021
French Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
French Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 20th June 2021
French Grand Prix: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)

Previous Winners
2000 United Kingdom David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes Magny-Cours
2001 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Germany Ralf Schumacher Williams-BMW
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2005 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2006 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2007 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2008 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari
2009 – 2017 Not held
2018 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes Paul Ricard
2019 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Videos

Hamilton 2019
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rmx088iAqc

Patrese 1990
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTyzCv8PkQs

Standings

WA2IrDu.png

JS1aGHZ.png

2021 Formula 1 BWT Grosser Preis Der Steiermark

gprTtKp.png

Red Bull Ring
Lap data
Lap length 4.326km (2.688 miles)
Race laps 71
Race distance 307.02km (190.773 miles)
Lap record* 1’08.337 (Michael Schumacher, 2003)
Fastest lap 1’03.130 (Valtteri Bottas, 2018, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 327.4kph (203.437 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 216.94m
Full throttle 79%
Longest flat-out section 868m
Downforce level Low/medium
Gear changes per lap 32
Fuel use per lap 1.48kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.056s
Pit lane time loss 16.1s

UK Times
Friday 25th June 2021
Styrian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:30-12:30 (UK time: 10:30-11:30)
Styrian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:00 (UK time: 14:00-15:00)
Saturday 26th June 2021
Styrian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Styrian Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 27th June 2021
Styrian Grand Prix: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)

Previous Winners
2020 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Videos

Bottas 2017
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ3uNc998qk

Schumacher 2002
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP8574KIND8

Standings

gh1dXnQ.png

IAuqX6O.png

It's looking ominous for Lewis and Mercedes, will they bounce back?

TBH, I don't really mind. The close racing is far more entertaining than the processions of the past few years. Listening to LH and seeing the glint in his eyes, I think he's enjoying it more too.

It's looking ominous for Lewis and Mercedes, will they bounce back?

Unlikely, they are not doing any more major development work on this years car.
They are concentrating money and effort on next years major new regulation car design.

Seems Hamilton is somewhat stuffed this year, as Red Bull are concentrating on this year's car. so will no doubt walk away with the championship.
Hamilton may pick up the odd win in favourable conditions and tracks that suit them. But they can not match red bulls straight line speed.

However it seems that all the cars are running closer to each other this season. with more competition for podium finishes.

Unlikely, they are not doing any more major development work on this years car.
They are concentrating money and effort on next years major new regulation car design.

Seems Hamilton is somewhat stuffed this year, as Red Bull are concentrating on this year's car. so will no doubt walk away with the championship.
Hamilton may pick up the odd win in favourable conditions and tracks that suit them. But they can not match red bulls straight line speed.

However it seems that all the cars are running closer to each other this season. with more competition for podium finishes.

Don't be surprised to see Hamilton back at the top at the end of the season. It's clear that whilst the Red Bull is a slightly better car at the moment, and Max's bravado is giving him the edge; Max is more likely to have a DNF than Hamilton and Hamilton's experience could well see him through. Red Bull definitely have the advantage in the tactical game right now.

2021 Formula 1 BWT Grosser Preis Von Österreich

gprTtKp.png

Red Bull Ring
Lap data
Lap length 4.326km (2.688 miles)
Race laps 71
Race distance 307.02km (190.773 miles)
Lap record* 1’08.337 (Michael Schumacher, 2003)
Fastest lap 1’03.130 (Valtteri Bottas, 2018, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 327.4kph (203.437 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 216.94m
Full throttle 79%
Longest flat-out section 868m
Downforce level Low/medium
Gear changes per lap 32
Fuel use per lap 1.48kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.056s
Pit lane time loss 16.1s

UK Times
Friday 2nd July 2021
Austrian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:30-13:00 (UK time: 10:30-12:00)
Austrian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 3rd July 2021
Austrian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Austrian Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 4th July 2021
Austrian Grand Prix: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)

Previous Winners
2014 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes Red Bull Ring
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2017 Finland Valtteri Bottas Mercedes
2018 Netherlands Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer
2019 Netherlands Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing-Honda
2020 Finland Valtteri Bottas Mercedes

Videos

Alonso 2003 A1 Ring
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcw2tythXiQ

1987 Nakajima A1
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x3RJUOPPKk

Standings

U1rJZGF.png

LL67V6I.png

Does anyone know a tattoo artist that can change a tattoo that says "now i rise" into one that says "now i decline", asking for a friend!

I heard Toto got a call from someone call Nic, “my brothers not well, I’ll be along in a fortnight”

2021 Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix

SxTOnpL.png

Silverstone Circuit
Lap data
Lap length 5.891km (3.66 miles)
Race laps 52
Race distance 306.332km (190.346 miles)
Lap record* 1’30.874 (Fernando Alonso, 2010)
Fastest lap 1’29.243 (Lewis Hamilton, 2016, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 329.5kph (204.742 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 296m
Full throttle 70%
Longest flat-out section 1034m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 40
Fuel use per lap 2.8kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.112s

UK Times
Friday 16th July 2021
British Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 14:30-15:30
British Grand Prix Qualifying: 18:00
Saturday 17th July 2021
British Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 12:00-13:00
British Grand Prix Sprint Qualifying: 16:30
Sunday 18th July 2021
British Grand Prix: 15:00

Sprint Race

Grid determined in Friday Qualifying (normal qually format although all drivers must run on soft tyres throughout)

100km 17 lap race with no mandatory pit stops
1st place - 3pts
2nd place 2pts
3rd place - 1pt

Finishing positions determine grid for Sunday

Previous Winners
2000 United Kingdom David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes
2001 Finland Mika Häkkinen McLaren-Mercedes
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2005 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes