The Formula 1 / IndyCar Thread

It was actually ferrari international aid FIA
Bernie did a lot for F1 then he went a bit cranky when the racing was getting a bit predictable, probably due to meddling here and there by obvious bias He even at one point said that he wouldnt pay to see any race it was that bad , It was about this time when the coup against him started
Even today many people think its all fixed like wrestling and abu dabi hasnt helped
The rules are very clear if a person with common sense takes control
If its in the rules its legal, if its not in the rules its legal until a rule is made to stop it, Its only illeagal if it goes against the rules
48-12 wording is clear ANY car can overtake the safety car and unlap themselves
IT dosnt say every car because you could if you so wished keep the safety car out there for ever by not passing them
It dosnt say selective cars can now unlap themselves as that would be open to obvious bias
Thanks :) that's it....................just could not recall the exact phrasing ;)

I know that Mercedes have done a great deal of development on the new car, while Red Bull threw everything at this year.

how do you know this care to elaborate

I think that was aimed at me. It was something I read on the F1 site (I think) at the early part of the season. Because the car was "so good" the previous year, Mercedes decided that no further development was necessary for 2021 season, and the development team focused on the rule changes for the 2022 car. Red Bull, saw this as their opportunity to have a real go at the championship. Obviously they have done some development for next year, but I'm expecting the Mercedes to be a step up on this year.

Not sure that any sanction would be enforceable due to the current world situation and travel restrictions between countries. All they need to say is that they had a bit of a cough and didn't want to risk passing it on to others in the same packed indoor venue.

Looking forward to next season and hope LH still has the fire.

268287801_1136401803833379_114024180553194449_n.jpg

S'pose it served me right for being on a bike - and it was about 30 years ago!!!

New car development news, could it be smoke and mirrors from both teams?

I think that was aimed at me. It was something I read on the F1 site (I think) at the early part of the season. Because the car was "so good" the previous year, Mercedes decided that no further development was necessary for 2021 season, and the development team focused on the rule changes for the 2022 car. Red Bull, saw this as their opportunity to have a real go at the championship. Obviously they have done some development for next year, but I'm expecting the Mercedes to be a step up on this year.
I read that red bull had brought forward the 2022 engine for this season , Be interesting to see how the new Cars pan out.
the new cars are reprtedly more on the edge, shich is how Max likes the car so should be interesting.

Despite everything that has happened I am still looking forward to next season. I'll be terribly disappointed if Masi is still in the job but if Liberty Media have a hand in appointing the replacement we might have Donald Duck making the decisions.

It was wrong what happened but I do think that we need to put behind us what was a really good season imho. Max will mature I think and will figure out that sometimes you need to give the corner and either have another go another time or even accept that second place is valuable points on a day when first might seem out of reach.

I hope that GR has a good introduction, that Maclaren continue to improve; that Leclerc gets to show off the talent he has and that Williams find some money from somewhere.

I hope Kimi gets a Talk Show on Finnish TV.

I hope the smarmy guy on Channel 4 get's haemorrhoids. I am so glad to have switched to watching the Sky coverage.

And finally, I hope they and you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year no matter what.

Dum, de di dum de di dum di dum dum :)

Last edited:
Despite everything that has happened I am still looking forward to next season. I'll be terribly disappointed if Masi is still in the job but if Liberty Media have a hand in appointing the replacement we might have Donald Duck making the decisions.

A few years ago, a mate of mine got F1 Ltd & Liberty Media interested in his idea of shooting drone footage, as it was much cheaper than helicopters. In fact they had 3 big professional drones some which were tethered to an HDMI cable & power, so they didn't have to worry about batteries. He did loads of work bring in the best drone manufacturers and pilots, and F1 went behind his back, and did a deal with the drone company direct. That the sort of ba******s they are.....

He spent thousands on getting people to the Spanish GP, the drones the pilots, the engineers etc, put them in hotels for 4 nights, and he lost the lot. The drone company were honest with him, and said F1's ultimatum was do it direct or we find somebody else.

A few years ago, a mate of mine got F1 Ltd & Liberty Media interested in his idea of shooting drone footage, as it was much cheaper than helicopters. In fact they had 3 big professional drones some which were tethered to an HDMI cable & power, so they didn't have to worry about batteries. He did loads of work bring in the best drone manufacturers and pilots, and F1 went behind his back, and did a deal with the drone company direct. That the sort of ba******s they are.....

He spent thousands on getting people to the Spanish GP, the drones the pilots, the engineers etc, put them in hotels for 4 nights, and he lost the lot. The drone company were honest with him, and said F1's ultimatum was do it direct or we find somebody else.
.......did he bill the drone company for his time/bookings etc in addition to his consultatation & introduction fee?

Or did the drone company, up front though they were in telling him of what happened, simply leave him out if pocket?

.......did he bill the drone company for his time/bookings etc in addition to his consultatation & introduction fee?

Or did the drone company, up front though they were in telling him of what happened, simply leave him out if pocket?

It was originally his idea, he got together with the drone company (Dutch I believe) and sourced 3 professional pilots. He took the idea (on his own) to F1 and was asked to give a demonstration at the Spanish & British races. F1 told him that whilst it was a good idea, and could save them money (helicopter & pilot plus film crew is about £500k a day!!), they no longer wished to pursue the idea.

3 days later he got a call from the CEO of the drone company. So he speculated, at his cost, and F1 told him no, but actually stabbed him in the back. The CEO from the drone company said the deal was too good to turn away and thanked him for his efforts. Nothing was ever signed contractually - F1 said they would not pay for the demo/test. They're a bunch of sharks.

Last edited:
That's how capitalism works. As much as I sympathise, I'm surprised he didn't realise that.

He used to be one of the best salesmen in my team at Easynet, really had his head switched on. I think the size of the opportunity, and the chance to work with F1 (like me, he's a petrolhead) got to him. He's now selling property in Dubai to those of "high net wealth", and making a killing there. The F1 idea was going to set him up, he even asked me if I could help him run the business while he was "on tour" with the crew at the races. Ce la vie....

word is about that Russ Brawn and Pat Symonds are about to leave F1 mid season plus the guy in charge of the rally scene
I dont think its to do with the rules are rules man Mohammed Ben Sulayem and the finish of the last race but you never know

That chatter (or fairly explicit "advice"...) is fairly damning!

That chatter (or fairly explicit "advice"...) is fairly damning!
There’s little doubt that Red Bull were trying to ‘game’ the end of the the safety car deployment to their advantage. They didnt have to give up track position to put new tyres on Max’s car and once they‘d done that they just needed a green flag lap.

Mercedes calculated that had the safety car rules been applied conventionally, there were not enough laps left to return to green flag racing. Putting new tyres on Lewis’ car would have meant giving track position and the win (under the safety car) to Max. So they had no option but to stick with what they had and let it play out.

Michael Masi’s decision to adopt Red Bull’s suggestion and ‘freestyle’ the safety car deployment procedure, wasn’t something that Mercedes had a chance of responding to. Right or wrong, that decision decided the race result and the drivers championship.

Masi let himself be bullied into making up his own rule.

Masi let himself be bullied into making up his own rule.
And not for the first time last year. Negotiating grid penalties over the radio with Red Bull (was it Brazil?) for example. I mean WTF?

In Abu Dhabi, Mr Masi effectively painted himself into a corner by tacitly agreeing before the race (no doubt under enormous pressure from Liberty, Mercedes and Red Bull), that the season should not finish under safety car conditions. This was used as lever by Mercedes earlier in the race and again by Red Bull late on.

When five laps from the end, the numpty that is Nicholas Latifi stuffed it in the barrier whilst racing nobody for last place, everything was set for the debacle we were all unfortunate to witness.

Charlie Whiting must have been doing 10,000 revs…

Reactions: Nod
He'd have told them all exactly where to go! Sorely missed.

I understand the issues Masi had. Simple crash. Quick clean up. Deploy safety car.

Car then catches fire (brakes) so this is why the SC was extended. With hindsight I’ve no doubt he would have chosen the red flag.

Maybe in the future, any incident that requires a SC within 5 laps of the end mandates a Red Flag? Then again that could be gamed to peoples advantage with deliberate crashing. I still believe you race for position on track so back markers should not yield. They’re entitled to maintain their position just as much as anyone else.

I understand the issues Masi had. Simple crash. Quick clean up. Deploy safety car.

Car then catches fire (brakes) so this is why the SC was extended. With hindsight I’ve no doubt he would have chosen the red flag.

Maybe in the future, any incident that requires a SC within 5 laps of the end mandates a Red Flag? Then again that could be gamed to peoples advantage with deliberate crashing. I still believe you race for position on track so back markers should not yield. They’re entitled to maintain their position just as much as anyone else.
Back markers can completely stuff up the race result though whilst gaining nothing themselves and in fact having nothing to lose either. It’s bad enough already that Latifi, Mazepin et al are on the grid. Allowing them to ‘race’ the leading cars and drivers as they attempt to pass them for the umpteenth time, is a recipe for disaster if ever there was one.

All Mr Masi needed to do was apply the rules as they are written, i.e. do his job.

Back markers can completely stuff up the race result though whilst gaining nothing themselves and in fact having nothing to lose either. It’s bad enough already that Latifi, Mazepin et al are on the grid. Allowing them to ‘race’ the leading cars and drivers as they attempt to pass them for the umpteenth time, is a recipe for disaster if ever there was one.

All Mr Masi needed to do was apply the rules as they are written, i.e. do his job.
Lapped cars in the past have been far more exciting to watch rather than a leader who features in 5% of the race coverage for being 15 seconds out front.

Why should they ruin their race? Latifi et al are not always the only cars being lapped. Cast your mind back to Verstappen vs Ocon. Ocon was right to re-overtake. Apply your logic evenly and he should have ruined his own race and say behind a slower Max.

Lapped cars in the past have been far more exciting to watch rather than a leader who features in 5% of the race coverage for being 15 seconds out front.

Why should they ruin their race? Latifi et al are not always the only cars being lapped. Cast your mind back to Verstappen vs Ocon. Ocon was right to re-overtake. Apply your logic evenly and he should have ruined his own race and say behind a slower Max.
I agree Ocon was right to pass a slower Verstappen. The situation I’m saying that needs to be avoided is slower back markers holding up the faster leading cars.

The issue you have there is that Red Bull effectively have 2 teams, so the lower team can "have an accident" if it's beneficial to the main RB team.

Last edited:
The issue you have there is that Red Bull effectively have 3 teams, so the lower team can "have an accident" if it's beneficial to the main RB team.
That’s why I say it can be gamed to peoples advantage. Wouldn’t be the first time someone had deliberately crashed. Renault and Alonso benefitting in the past.

Okay.. new solution. Not new to motorsport but what about “Slow Zones”. If there is a crash on one corner, why ruin the racing for the other 15-25 corners? It’s used in Le Mans to keep racing going while barriers are repaired etc. f

The issue you have there is that Red Bull effectively have 2 teams, so the lower team can "have an accident" if it's beneficial to the main RB team.

Two people had a sexual encounter in a closed office and it was an international news story and nearly brought down a presidency.

There is no way that an orchestrated "accident" would be kept secret for long.

Plus, Mercedes have the same influence over other teams, Williams springs to mind.

Toto spoke to George Russell after the incident with Bottas at Imola, Think about that, Toto, head of Mercedes, spoke to a driver in the Mercedes Young Driver Program, who drives for another team about an incident. Toto has a direct influence on the career of a driver in another team.

There is no way that an orchestrated "accident" would be kept secret for long.

The Renault crashgate scandal stayed secret for only a year. There’s too many people involved in F1 to keep a conspiracy under wraps. Then again… Ferrari have managed to quash their cheating engine.

The new head honcho being savaged on Twitter, following the leaked audio of the end of the race.

View: https://BANNED/Ben_Sulayem/status/1491365622890270720

Reactions: Nod
Not sure that Todt is squeaky clean either. Or Brawn for that matter!

Not sure that Todt is squeaky clean either. Or Brawn for that matter!
I lose track of who was involved with what, but I do recall some controversies over the years:
Illegal launch control, floating inertia blocks, crashgate, fuel irregularities, etc

For sure Ross has at least sailed very close to the wind and I have no doubt Jean has too. In fairness to them, all of the teams and drivers take advantage of the rules anyway they can or they aren’t in the competition. Sometimes that means they go over the mark. When that happens it should cost the teams and/or drivers world championship points. For example, where penalty points were awarded to the drivers for various infringements, this should also have cost them world championship points. I’ve no idea how this would have affected the final standings by the way.

Okay.. new solution. Not new to motorsport but what about “Slow Zones”. If there is a crash on one corner, why ruin the racing for the other 15-25 corners? It’s used in Le Mans to keep racing going while barriers are repaired etc. f
WEC has rules about whether to use a slow zone, FCY or safety car, which are mainly centered around safety for the workers, but ISTR that if there is a service vehicle of some kind on the circuit then it has to be a safety car, and I'm not sure how long marshals can be expected to be exposed on the track even under slow zones or FCY.

Perhaps a NASCAR style red flag, where the cars park well away from the start line and use their onboard starter motors to restart (a shove from the safety vehicle is allowed so they can bump start if they can't fire up on the starter motor), meaning they do not get any service under red flag conditions (it is effectively parc ferme, even if the car is in the pit at the time). If they want service, that happens when it goes back to yellow the first time they pass the start, if they opt to pit, then green next time round.

The whole F1 red flag circus where the car can be rebuilt during a red flag needs to stop.

Do F1 cars have onboard starters? Easy enough to police parce ferme in the pitlane surely, no body allowed to approach the cars except marshals, then only one crew to start cars when required.

I think the electric part of the hybrid system can be used to start them these days.

I think the electric part of the hybrid system can be used to start them these days.
Some of them. It's not mandatory, but it should be. As should being able to start them from cold. At the moment they can't, if they don't pre-heat them the tolerances are too small and they won't turn over.

A mate of mine had a Ducati like that - actually, that didn't like starting at any time!

Back