The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

Currently spending far to much time and money building a macro rig to use indoors as the weather closes-in. Never heard of 'smallrig' until 2 weeks ago now I think I am a shareholder.
And worse I am now lusting after a macro lighting solution.......

It just gets worse. I should have a Hasselblad 503cx by Saturday, that'll make 3.
Why on earth do I want 3 Hasselblads.

I think I have a problem.

Last edited:
Well I've just had an email from E-Infinity announcing that the Canon RF 24-240mm is finally back in stock after some months. Out of stock proce £519 - in stock price £789. I think I'll pass.....

Really tempted to make another purchase.
Been looking at the Fujifilm X-E4 with the 27mm f/2.8 R WR lens. Priced at £849

It just gets worse. I should have a Hasselblad 503cx by Saturday, that'll make 3.
Why on earth do I want 3 Hasselblads.

I think I have a problem.

I think you don't want just 3 Hassies... And don't forget all the VF and back choices you have...

Perhaps I've over compensated for getting too big a lens last month (~2.2kg) I've just tried out a new lens that is probably the narrowest I have that has focus & aperture controls. The little 'Pelepar' 1.5" f3.5 takes 14mm filters & expands up to 23mm for the mount. Surprisingly at 42g it's not even made it to my top 5 lightest lenses. A quick clean of the outer surfaces has made a marked improvement to the images it creates :)
On the Q this little toy has an equivalent FOV of around 210mm.

I managed to get both this lens & a set of M42 extension tubes for £2 significantly cheaper than either of them fetch on e-bay (tubes ~£5, lens >£25) so I won't complain that it's sharpness doesn't quite match most of my other lenses of similar focal length. It certainly beats a few of the CCTV lenses I've tried

Z6ii arrived today, it's to replace the Z6

I went to Cambridge Camera Show last week and spent an illuminating time looking at various lenses. Tried the Canon RF 16mm f2.8, 24-105mm f4-7.1, 24-240mm, 100-400mm, 800mm. Sigma 14-24mm, 60-600mm, 150-600mm (Sigma hadn’t taken a 12-24mm) Samyang 14mm (no 24mm Tilt and shift)
Upshot of it all, I’ve decided that I’m happy with my EF 16-35mm and 100-400mm, I shall simply buy a 2x extender for the 100-400mm and a 24-105mm f4-7.1 my wife is very happy!

I was surprised at the local LCE today, I brought an old Kodak no2 folding autographic brownie, a mirror lens & a Tamron SP teleconverter for £5 each. Optics are not perfect on any of them, but I've seen much worse As far as I can tell all the moving parts seem to be working & the bellows on the camera look nearly new - I can't believe they're the original ones as the camera is around 100 years old! (Between Nov 1920 & Apr 1923)

Charity shops usually charge more.o_O

Last edited:
I have a nice Panasonic G7 which I use for insects and such. It has been very good for that and I really like my 60mm macro lens with it. The shutter died yesterday and I was quoted a minimum of £180 for a repair. Seems a lot to repair a camera that is now several years old and only costs £450 or so new.

So. I have now ordered a Panasonic GX 880 for £350 which will take my nice macro lens and also be a bit smaller.

I am now the "spent out" owner of a Hasselblad 503cw plus PME90 plus Winder cw and Remote.
I think I'll have to offload my 503cx to get some sexy glass.:eek:

Anyone have any experience of the Lowepro Flipside Trek 450? I’m beginning to think it could be the ‘perfect bag for me’…

Anyone have any experience of the Lowepro Flipside Trek 450? I’m beginning to think it could be the ‘perfect bag for me’…

Only just seen this. I use one of these bags, hardy construction with a good amount of room but the 'other' top compartment could be bigger. Enough room for snacks and other stuff though. The best bit is the main access, you can put it down and get at your kit without having a muddy back later.

PS - there is no such thing as a perfect bag :)

Only just seen this. I use one of these bags, hardy construction with a good amount of room but the 'other' top compartment could be bigger. Enough room for snacks and other stuff though. The best bit is the main access, you can put it down and get at your kit without having a muddy back later.

PS - there is no such thing as a perfect bag :)
The perfect bag certainly does exist, I’m sure. It’s just a massive secret not known by ANY photographer anywhere in the world, so it is my duty as a backpack hoarder to keep searching :D

Thanks for the reply. By massive coincidence, a nice Lady driving an Amazon van just delivered mine :cool:

Well just got my Hasselblad 40mm cf fle.
I have mixed feeling about my purchase though.

I've had a recent attack of GAS, but not photography related. We just bought a Kitchen Ninja 15 in 1 multi cooker, and then as it's my Birthday coming up, I've treated myself to some new amateur radio gear.....

So now I can have some home made snacks when I'm chatting on the radio :LOL:

I've had a recent attack of GAS, but not photography related. We just bought a Kitchen Ninja 15 in 1 multi cooker, and then as it's my Birthday coming up, I've treated myself to some new amateur radio gear.....

So now I can have some home made snacks when I'm chatting on the radio :LOL:

I picked up a Ninja air fryer yesterday so chips will be on the menu tonight.

If an air fryer uses ten times less oil can I have ten times more chips? ;)

Just acquired a Nikon 60mm Micro lens, did not really need it but it came up locally and seemed too good to miss !
Tried it out and its a cracking good lens !

does it do something that your current set up won't do?
Not really, in fact my D7100 has 2 card slots and is probably better all round. I did have a D500 which I used for my sports photography. Sold it during lockdown due to depression and events being out of the question. Thought I'd be able to pick one up at a lower price if and when events became the norm again. Haven't seen any drop in price at all.

I think I must be sickening for something. My GAS seems to have disappeared! Haven't even been able to think of distant wants when asked about seasonal gifts (or even my birthdays back in summer).

Might look for a D7200, don't mind it not having a box or a few bumps etc, so long as it's working and the sensor is okay.

I think I must be sickening for something. My GAS seems to have disappeared! Haven't even been able to think of distant wants when asked about seasonal gifts (or even my birthdays back in summer).
Haha possibly cured?

Went out to snap a local race yesterday with my D7100. Had been on the lookout for a D7500. Didn't hold out much hope of any decent images with the misty conditions, foggy etc. Proved wrong. It coped admirably and I can't see any reason to "upgrade" at the moment.

Went out to snap a local race yesterday with my D7100. Had been on the lookout for a D7500. Didn't hold out much hope of any decent images with the misty conditions, foggy etc. Proved wrong. It coped admirably and I can't see any reason to "upgrade" at the moment.
Fog has been known to inexplicably ruin the rubber grips on the back of the D7100, which would render the camera…’not as nice’, so an upgrade is definitely required. Maybe a nice new lens and camera bag also.

**The above may or may not be true**

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
I've got a bright yellow camera protector, comes in very useful. I use one lens just about al the time for races, 85mm F1.8.

Waiting for the delivery of a: MindShift Gear BackLight 18L Photo Daypack in Woodland Green.
Mrs C quiered why I need another bag .... "Its for camoflage when I'm out in the woods & I want to blend into the scenery" ... not sure if this explanation worked as I tend to wear a Red & Black Nikwax jacket ... I await the inevitable retribution

Waiting for the delivery of a: MindShift Gear BackLight 18L Photo Daypack in Woodland Green.
Mrs C quiered why I need another bag .... "Its for camoflage when I'm out in the woods & I want to blend into the scenery" ... not sure if this explanation worked as I tend to wear a Red & Black Nikwax jacket ... I await the inevitable retribution
Did you get one in the snapperstuff sale?

Back