The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

in my case, the “cure” for GAS was buying about 15 legacy lenses in as many months (well, just a bit more than that), being locked up at home, then finding another hobby.
Trouble is, the other hobby (hi-fi, audio or whatever we call it these days), is just as bad, if not worse.
Since March 20, I’ve been through 3 sets of speakers, 5 pairs of interconnects and 6 (yes, Six) DACS.
The only saving grace is that I’ve either been sensible or lucky with what I’ve bought and so far, managed to sell on the surplus kit at minor losses.

in my case, the “cure” for GAS was buying about 15 legacy lenses in as many months (well, just a bit more than that), being locked up at home, then finding another hobby.
Trouble is, the other hobby (hi-fi, audio or whatever we call it these days), is just as bad, if not worse.
Since March 20, I’ve been through 3 sets of speakers, 5 pairs of interconnects and 6 (yes, Six) DACS.
The only saving grace is that I’ve either been sensible or lucky with what I’ve bought and so far, managed to sell on the surplus kit at minor losses.

What on earth is the audio GAS? 3 sets of speakers? which ones? And IC? I bought a couple of pairs of VDH Ultimate 20 years ago and never upgraded since! as for DACs....what kind? lol

Well, I've been very good. But today I fell off the wagon and ordered the new TT Artisans 17mm 1.4 lens. :oops: :$ The Zenographer rates it very highly.

I’m inching inexorably closer to hitting the buy button on an Arca Swiss Monoball P0. Stupidly expensive and I don’t really need it, but neither of those facts seems to be putting me off very much.

If I could make up my mind what plate system I wanted I’d probably have bought it by now,
Yep - not being able to see and hold them doesn't help either.

I don’t know enough to veer away from the matched plate/top as on the Wex site - it’s just whether I go for the longer plate and more versatile top that weighs 50g extra or stick with the more compact one. I’ve been looking at these on and off for years now, but lately getting nearer.... let me know what colours your decision.... when you make it :LOL:

Yep - not being able to see and hold them doesn't help either.

I don’t know enough to veer away from the matched plate/top as on the Wex site - it’s just whether I go for the longer plate and more versatile top that weighs 50g extra or stick with the more compact one. I’ve been looking at these on and off for years now, but lately getting nearer.... let me know what colours your decision.... when you make it :LOL:
Will do, and it may be price!

Well, well, well - I seem to be having a moment of madness......

I shoot mainly nikon - I’ve lost count of the number of lenses, I think it’s 17.... could be more. I also have a canon 1dx ii with a few lenses and yet ..... I’m ssssoooo tempted by the Panasonic s1 !!! I held one about a year ago and totally loved it. The ergonomics are perfect and the build quality makes it a joy in the hands. It felt just like a pro dslr and I’m so very tempted.

But ! How can I justify a third and let’s face it, hugely inferior system !?

But that body! Wow !!!

Well, well, well - I seem to be having a moment of madness......

I shoot mainly nikon - I’ve lost count of the number of lenses, I think it’s 17.... could be more. I also have a canon 1dx ii with a few lenses and yet ..... I’m ssssoooo tempted by the Panasonic s1 !!! I held one about a year ago and totally loved it. The ergonomics are perfect and the build quality makes it a joy in the hands. It felt just like a pro dslr and I’m so very tempted.

But ! How can I justify a third and let’s face it, hugely inferior system !?

But that body! Wow !!!
Hmm; I think that 3 is too many but what do I know?!

Could possibly be tempted to buy a video camera, something for doing video while walking. Been looking at the small Sony X3000, or something like it.

There is something in guitars that is seldom found in photography. Limited edition electronics. Except when Leica making those weird gold plated cameras or LV joint venture which prices out of everyone. On ordinary gear, there are no limited edition 35mm lenses for £350.

Stepping forward, Boss TB-2W. Received today, roughly 3,000 made worldwide.

vzEIbYM.jpg

My name is Ghost, and I am addicted to buying photographic gear.

There. I've said it. In the past fortnight I've bought a Nikon 80-400mm, a Tenba BYOB DSLR insert, a 40l hiking backpack for use with the Tenba, a Sun Sniper BPS, replacement Arca Swiss tripod collar for the 80-400 (why does Nikon make their tripod feet so tiny and un-arca swiss?) and a lens cap clip someone suggested on here because I'm always losing the little sods.

I need to step away from my wallet. Step. Away. From. The. Wallet

I haven't had a Gas for awhile thankfully, and the last camera I bought (before the last week) was used here, a Sony RX100 III in 2017.

Now about 10 or so years ago I got a lot of camera gear stolen, and one of the things that went was my first digital camera, a Fujifilm S602 Pro. I really liked that camera, and it opened up a whole new world for me after giving up on Photography many years earlier because of cost, and a resulting lack of progression. I have been on the lookout for a S602 Pro for a good price on and off for years when the though crossed my mind. And last week got one for £23.50. :) A good price for the warm and fuzzy feelings of nostalgia. ;)

Now the reason I mentioned the Sony is because I've been looking out for a RX100 V as the used prices drop. I wanted the mark five version is for the much better AF, Fps and increased EVF resolution, and it is the last version of the RX100 that can have apps installed. I have the Timelapse and the Tilt Shift apps that I use in the mark III.

Because I have cash in the bank available that would normally have been spent on a European holiday (no chance atm, and for quite awhile for me I think), I decided to look for the upgrade after I had bought the Fuji. And I have just dropped £425 :oops: :$ on a RX100 V, leather case and 6 batteries (the mark V has worse battery performance:rolleyes: :LOL:). Fingers crossed it turns out all OK.

The plan is to now sell the RX100 III to offset some of that cost. The leather case from the 'new' one can go with that as it is something I will not use.

So from having no real Gas for quite awhile I have bought two camera in a week. :oops: :$ :LOL:

Anyone know is into pedals should know about this, beside the Klon, which is impossible to get now, this is practically the nearest thing. Current wait time, 4 years!

nVfRXge.jpg

Really bad gas at the moment

I replaced* my D810 and infrared D7100 with its 18-200 (*I haven't got rid of them yet... Oops) with. Z7, full spectrum Z5 and 24-200 Z at the beginning of the year, and that was enough for a while it seemed.

Then came the insta 360 purchase... Or 2....and associated modules and accessories. And the rode wireless go 2 for some reason.

And now the 14-30 F4 called... Which will mean I need a pretty major purchase of 82mm infrared filters of different wavelengths for the lens before August.... And a NAS as I'm seriously running out of disk space.

And somehow I've hidden a lot of this well enough that my wife hasn't divorced me yet....

Anyone know is into pedals should know about this, beside the Klon, which is impossible to get now, this is practically the nearest thing. Current wait time, 4 years!

nVfRXge.jpg

What's their reason (other than creating artificial demand?) for the 4 year waiting list?

What's their reason (other than creating artificial demand?) for the 4 year waiting list?

It's a man in his workshop alone (he may have 1 other staff). He wants a simple life that he gets to build something he like doing. He charges an amount that he feels fair (and the audience also thinks so, and if you look at the overall market, his prices are reasonable, cheap in fact).

So, he doesn't want to go full production with robot build as guitar players likes hand wired circuits. By doing this he keeps a job, he gets to be his own boss. He dictates the timetable and the list is clear that when you signed up, that is how long it will be. Everyone knows where everyone is.

You also don't pay until its your turn, once it is your turn you order, it then gets built to your spec (there are options you can choose), and shipped to you around the world.

When i signed up the list was 2 years wait, back in 2014. In fact my name came up back in 2016, i just not ordered until now. Once it's your turn, you can order whenever you want.

Last edited:
Another GAS here as well just bought a Canon 1D (yes the one from 2001) with 50mm f1.8 and the old 100 - 300 USM lens. All work really well but i think the battery needs replacing :( suppose not suprised as I think it is the orginal.
Why?
Because I have been after a "Pro" machine for a little bit and this was cheap, and while I know it is only 4Mb :eek: but I have tested it out and the images look great. Just need to tweak it a little more. When I get a new battery :D

Another GAS here as well just bought a Canon 1D (yes the one from 2001) with 50mm f1.8 and the old 100 - 300 USM lens. All work really well but i think the battery needs replacing :( suppose not suprised as I think it is the orginal.
Why?
Because I have been after a "Pro" machine for a little bit and this was cheap, and while I know it is only 4Mb :eek: but I have tested it out and the images look great. Just need to tweak it a little more. When I get a new battery :D
I have just sold all my mirrorless gear and lenses
And bought a mintish Canon 40d and 50mm 1.8
It's quite liberating not having to mess with a multitude of settings and buttons
I think I have made the right choice

It's a man in his workshop alone (he may have 1 other staff). He wants a simple life that he gets to build something he like doing. He charges an amount that he feels fair (and the audience also thinks so, and if you look at the overall market, his prices are reasonable, cheap in fact).

So, he doesn't want to go full production with robot build as guitar players likes hand wired circuits. By doing this he keeps a job, he gets to be his own boss. He dictates the timetable and the list is clear that when you signed up, that is how long it will be. Everyone knows where everyone is.

You also don't pay until its your turn, once it is your turn you order, it then gets built to your spec (there are options you can choose), and shipped to you around the world.

When i signed up the list was 2 years wait, back in 2014. In fact my name came up back in 2016, i just not ordered until now. Once it's your turn, you can order whenever you want.
I assume you watch That Pedal Show! ;) :LOL:

Why?

Hopefully you can find a new battery even if it is 3rd party. I really like the images from those old cameras.

Wanted this book for ages but it dropped to around £30 this week on Amazon. Went to the original exhibit in Stockholm a few years back, the prints displayed were over 6ft tall. It's amazing looking in all the detail.

VLJttbG.jpg

Last edited:
I saw a Nikon 200-500mm lens in the classifieds the other week and thought, mmm, that would be nice, as I have the 70-300mm, so the extra range could be useful. That was being offered for £900+. I looked on the two main online sites for used equipment, LCE and MPB, and they were going for a lot more. Same on the 'bay'.

I was in the city centre today and saw a used one in the window of a shop for £700. :oops: :$ I was waiting to meet my Mum so I went into the shop and asked to look at it, and apart from a few finger smudges on the lens, looked mint. I am seriously tempted. :thinking: I think it may have been there at that price because it was next to a D500 for £925, and their price tags had been swapped, so from a distance it looked like the lens was £925. If it is still there on Monday when I am in the city centre again, I may take it as 'a sign'. :LOL: All this unused holiday money! It's dangerous. ;) :LOL:

I keep contemplating a Nikon F6, I don't need it as my F4 does a perfectly good job but just fancy the F6, so far I've resisted, they are around £1000 from Japan for a mint one.

Second R5. Finally, I have a pair of matched cameras for events!

nVfRXge.jpg

I believe my Son-in-law has just finished making two of the Klon centaur professional using original parts that he sourced from Russia.

A sort-of “gas in abeyance “ story. Today I was in the front garden when the DPD van passed. The driver stopped and asked me if I was OK as he had not collected or delivered any parcels recently. I explained that I was trying to save money. At which point he expressed sympathy and gave me a biscuit as consolation. :jaffa:

I am giving real consideration to selling off all of my gear and just buying a Leica with a 50mm and have done with the whole merry go round………….. or just using my Ricoh grii until I break it .

Last edited:
Back