The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

Just to compound things, I've just realised she'll be home when it's delivered. My life sucks.
Well, have some flowers delivered on the same day; you hopefully will know when is best ie before or after or both! And, does she have a bag make that she is fond of?

I try to avoid parcels being delivered when the Mrs is on her days off, and up until now she hasn't noticed my growing collection of stuff.... I also treated her to her own DSLR so she could learn how to use a proper camera instead of using her mobile for everything.

I've sinned again!!! Spotted a Nikon 105mm F2.8D for sale by a Japanese dealer on Ebay that I've used before when I purchased a mint 35mm F2D and hit "Buy it now"!!!

The 35mm F2D was well and truly mint, It looked like it had never even been mounted on a camera. and this 105mm looks the same....

After paying the import duties it still works out much cheaper than sourcing one in the UK, even a well used one.... I could even sell it on for a nice little profit!!!

And with a bit of luck the Mrs will be at work when it's delivered!!!

Damn..... I've sinned again!!! This evening got a notification email off MPB that a "Like New Nikon AF-S 17-55 f2.8 DX was in stock.... Good job I recently got a very nice tax-free pension lump sum!!!

Not sure if a long planned purchase counts as GAS...

Having enjoyed my Sigma 8mm on FF, I've been looking for an equivalent for my Fujis for a while and discovered the Meike 6.5mm which gives a full circular image on a crop body.

Oops! My finger seems to have slipped onto the Buy It Now button...

I was really good and returned a battery grip, was doing so well……. Bought another camera instead, fail.

Well, yikes - I traded my beloved 5d4 today as part trade in for a RF15-35mm f2.8. I had made myself use the R6 exclusively over the last few months and then used it this week while we were away. For the first time, I found it wanting - never thought that would happen - so I am now in the mirrorless only world... feels weird but hope to add the R5 soon to fill the gap left by my 1dx2 and the 5D4. On another plus side, I can get all my Canon kit now into one Peli case.

Well, I've just splashed out on a Zenith EE. We can't all be high rollers. :D

I wish I stopped at

- full frame then medium format body
- 16-35 then medium format equivalent
- 24-70 then medium format equivalent
- 70-200 then medium format equivalent

Buying a new set every decade

I'd tell my under 70 self do these things I listed below that actually matter and not birding or wildlife photography

- 26: finished my MBA & gotten married
- 27: have a 1st born then birth space by 50 months apart for succeeding kids

Last edited:
Correction the 11. Don't know where I got EE from. I also keep calling them Zenith's. They are not at all.

Well, I've just splashed out on a Zenith EE. We can't all be high rollers. :D
In my defence, I began saving 10 years before I retired so I could fund my photography - just as well as this lousy government moved the state pension date by 6 years for me.

In my defence, I began saving 10 years before I retired so I could fund my photography - just as well as this lousy government moved the state pension date by 6 years for me.
You're okay Linda. I don't begrudge anyone enjoying a hobby that they've saved for. Our government are thoughtful like that. :D

B13DDD97-71D5-4CC8-A62E-B3CCB651066C.jpeg

Picked up this parts only 67 non MLU off ebay Japan £120 and will use it for any parts i ever need. The ad said shutter needs repair however the mirror was stuck up which ive seen before. Fresh battery and appears to be working!

Well I haven't purchased anything for a while (which is a change) but John Lewis have the Lumix S1 body reduced to £1,395 and I have had that in my basket for a week lol.

Not sure it gives me much over my S5 though and I am waiting to see what Panasonic / Lumix / Leica come out with over the next few months prior to spending anymore.....but I just can't help but feel it is too good a deal to not take advantage of (even if it meant part -ex my S5). Ah well, the photography show will let me play with some toys which may help scratch the itch.

It's took me a while to find a Nikon F-801s in such great condition, sadly it didn't come with the instruction manual or other paperwork.

Attachments

• Nikonf801s.jpg
    Nikonf801s.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Nikon f801s.jpg
    Nikon f801s.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3
  • NIKONF801S REAR.jpg
    NIKONF801S REAR.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Nikonf801sReardoor.jpg
    Nikonf801sReardoor.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Nikonf801sreardoor2.jpg
    Nikonf801sreardoor2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Nikonf801stop.jpg
    Nikonf801stop.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Nikonf801s-3.jpg
    Nikonf801s-3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Nikonf801s-4.jpg
    Nikonf801s-4.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Nikonf801s-5.jpg
    Nikonf801s-5.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3
I am suffering from FOMO at the moment. There seems to be a moratorium on new cameras coming to the market at the moment, for reasons we all know. BUT the Canon G5X mk II must surely be ready to be upgraded to a mk III? If I get the mk II will I forever have buyers remorse?!

I am suffering from FOMO at the moment. There seems to be a moratorium on new cameras coming to the market at the moment, for reasons we all know. BUT the Canon G5X mk II must surely be ready to be upgraded to a mk III? If I get the mk II will I forever have buyers remorse?!

As it is a 3yo model buy it used then sell it if the Mark III comes out with compelling features

Global shipments of P&S has been shrinking YoY for the past 14 years due to smartphones.

From a peak 110+ million in 2008 this year it is forecasted for 2.5+ million.

This year no new 2022 P&S models were announced. Although I expect a Leica Q2 replacement to be out by Dec 2022.

Have you considered other brands or models at similar price & size?

Have you considered other brands or models at similar price & size?

Always looking! I 'know' or have experience of Canon and Fuji and their menus which may help them with familiarity, but I am not adverse to other brands.

I have just had a look at YouTube videos on the iPhone 14 Max Pro. Even that may fit the bill - is it a compact killer?

Always looking! I 'know' or have experience of Canon and Fuji and their menus which may help them with familiarity, but I am not adverse to other brands.

I have just had a look at YouTube videos on the iPhone 14 Max Pro. Even that may fit the bill - is it a compact killer?
Without even looking I'd get any smartphone at your given price point over a point & shoot unless I need a specialized camera like a super zoom, underwater or a action camera.

A £49.95/mo. or £1,199.00 iPhone 14 Max Pro has more utility and pocketability than any other p&s. It is mild on the cashflow too.

You'd not leave your home without it. So in terms of usage its 24/7/365.

Cameras will/may lay on the shelf unused until a project.

Odds are you'll record the TARDIS appearing in your neighborhood with your iPhone than any other camera.

This is not to say not buy a non-consumer camera for revenue & leisure.

But it isn't my primary camera.

I've grown to appreciate utilization when buying & keeping things.

If I'm the only person in the household with a driver's license then buy a car with the number of seats for the expected number of people to ride.

Need to have large objects moved on an irregular and unknown schedule? Just outsource the job to an app and not pay extra for an SUV/pickup that will rarely, if ever get used for that purpose.

Last edited:
So the beast has arrived, damn this thing is big, but, it isn't half as heavy as I expected it to be, which is why I stumped up the extra cash to go for the MK III rather than the heavier MK II which is over 1KG heavier I think.
Pic taken alongside the RF 100-500mm for scale :)
If the rain holds off I'll go to the foxes tomorrow morning and try it out.
Also got the 1.4 extender which will give me 560mm at f4.
View attachment 355536
View attachment 355537
View attachment 355538
The 400 mkiii was the dream lens I never owned.
And yes, I'm jealous.

So the beast has arrived, damn this thing is big, but, it isn't half as heavy as I expected it to be, which is why I stumped up the extra cash to go for the MK III rather than the heavier MK II which is over 1KG heavier I think.
View attachment 355536
View attachment 355537
View attachment 355538
Awesome lineup.

Do you still own an EF body?

Was that a camera from your youth or an aspiration to own back then?
My first auto focus Nikon was a F-601, which I was still using up until the early 2000's, the F-801s was released a year after the 601 was released, just couldn't afford to upgrade at the time, and used one's just seem to be well used, I've still got a F-801 I use from time to time.

View attachment 355536
View attachment 355537
View attachment 355538
It's 4 months since I bought this lens, I thought I may suffer from buyer remorse but I can say it's the best lens I've ever bought.
The quality and AF speed when teamed up with the R5 and R3 is incredible.
I have to give a little more thought to positioning, when I'm doing running photography due to the focal length, but the pictures I get from it, especially when using f/2.8 or f4 are stunning..

I have a dilemma. Chatting with the family last night and we spotted a good deal for an A7 II with kit lens. After a bit my wife said why don’t you get it if you want it.
I have now spent the day on the internet looking at options.
The problem is? I don’t have the budget for anything newer, it will leave me with a lens issue ( will probably need an adapter to use A mount lens) and won’t be able to afford glass that will make the most of the camera.
Do now things,

Can’t believe after be told I can spend a decent amount of money, I am thinking, Do I bother??????

Just received from France a really nice 3D printed 126 film cartridge that can be loaded with 35mm film.

I am looking forward to lots of adventures with my Instamatic cameras!

I have succumbed again to the addiction. Received notification about a mint D700 with a shutter count under 4k being available. It requires the rear screen weather seal replaced but since I already have the part I thought it would be a good addition to my collection of Nikon's!!!

I am developing a 'need' for a SplashArt 2 for droplets photography, I do not need it....... but it's there now :eek:

Back